g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rummenigge: Some players may think about it in future, to join a club like this.

Devil may care

I very much doubt a player of Basti's pedigree and professional pride will try and force himself on a manager by insisting on staying, when he's been told he has no future.
Pride could be the key word there, accepting failure for a born winner is equally hard as any of the above I imagine. Plus the only club linked recently were one of the Turkish sides which I doubt he'd fancy.

AndyJ1985

Journos asked him what he thinks about the matter, and since Bastian is a club legend for us, he did. Mind you, he was referring on how the matter was facilitated, not the decision per se.
It's not surprising to see the overall reactions here, but it's interesting how the winds have changed in regard to Mourinhos antics, since he's become *your* bad guy. I don't remember him being viewed so favorably during the Eva Cameneiro incident.
Btw, Heynckes' contract was just not extended, and the decision to make Pep his successor was made half a year before we won the treble.
Just because Mourinho is guilty of a few controversial/nasty incidents doesn't mean he deserves to be vilified for every decision he makes that some people find questionable. Telling a player he is no longer wanted and making him play with the reserves is not the act of a heartless monster, it's perfectly within the remit of his job as manager. If managers can't manage their team this way without uproar from fans over harsh treatment then I really do question the fragility of modern society. The pussyfooting around and wrapping players in cotton wool approach that some fans seem to advocate is just ridiculous.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Absolutely. So when rival fans start already based on fecking Schweinsteiger, I won't hold them in high regard. I'm sure that poster is ever so worried about poor little Schweinsteiger and it's not just an excuse to have a pop at Mourinho. Please.
Its based on Mourinho's treatment on Schweinstiger tbf.

Devil may care

I wasn't actually disagreeing with your post! Just explaining why I think we shouldn't feel any sympathy towards him.
We are on the same page then. It's becoming a trend on the Caf where the club is automatically in the wrong in these disputes I've noticed.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What make you say Bastian doesn't care about his fitness? He tried to be fit for us, going on a break doesn't change that. Its common for players to do so.

Again, you're acting like he goes off on benders and gives F all to fitness. Which is hilarious because you then slate me for being presumptuous off the back of a shit load more smoke than what you're basing your assumptions on.
Because the first half of the season when he played for us, when he's not been injured for four months, he looked unfit? What is hard to understand? He looked unfit, then he got injured, then he went to the Euros, then he's had no pre-season due to private-life matters so now his fitness is going to be even fecking worse, it seems rather logical, no?

The multiple reports, tweets from his brother and Bayern CEO's words show there is more to it than just gaining fitness. All players had to train with reserves when unfit under LVG and only Valdes had an issue. To suggest its just for fitness purposes that Bastian has been dropped is daft. If that's the case, why has his locker been reportedly physically moved? Why are the BBC saying Mourinho wants to axe him?

If he wanted Bastian fit, he'd have given him minutes in pre-season. Not everyone is fit. Zlatan came back less fit than Bastian did FFS. He doesn't want him full stop, so he's demoted him for that and doesn't even want to see him fight for his place. Don't pretend its just for fitness reasons.
Mutiple reports from German media, Rummenigge's twaddle which is probably based on reports from German media and Tobi's cryptic tweet. Now holy feck, why don't we just crucify Mourinho already? Want to bet that BBC are basing their stories on what Bild or whoever the feck reported in Germany? That's what they do all the time. And how do you know that Zlatan 'came back less fit than Bastian'? :lol: Your 'full stop' pretty much proves that there's very little point discussing anything with you as you're agenda driven and hell bent on something you've got absolutely no clue about. You've got absolutely no idea whether he was sent to reserves to gain fitness or not, bottom line for you is that Mou's a cnut.

Robbie Boy

Its based on Mourinho's treatment on Schweinstiger tbf.
Well, my take on it would be that's it's just an excuse to have a dig at Mourinho, to be fair. I'm sure that poster doesn't give a flying feck about Schweinsteiger, in all honesty. And what treatment is this? The stuff the press has come up with? The fact that none of us actually know what has happened behind closed doors makes it pretty speculative, don't you think? Unless people have agendas here, I don't see what all the outrage is about.

It's not about taking sides and trying to vilify one or the other. My take is that Schweinsteiger proved feck all last season and he won't be a particularly big loss; so if the manager doesn't want him then so what? On the flip side, if he stayed, I also wouldn't be fussed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because the first half of the season when he played for us, when he's not been injured for four months, he looked unfit? What is hard to understand? He looked unfit, then he got injured, then he went to the Euros, then he's had no pre-season due to private-life matters so now his fitness is going to be even fecking worse, it seems rather logical, no?
What the actual feck are you on about? He didn't look too unfit when he joined us. The first few games he certainly wasn't one of our lesser players. He got niggling injuries though and struggled to recover. Your pre-season bit is so laughable. "No pre season due to private life matters". He got to the quarters of the Euro and then got married in his holiday time (that every player gets to have, btw). Seriously, get a grip.

Mutiple reports from German media, Rummenigge's twaddle which is probably based on reports from German media and Tobi's cryptic tweet. Now holy feck, why don't we just crucify Mourinho already? Want to bet that BBC are basing their stories on what Bild or whoever the feck reported in Germany? That's what they do all the time. And how do you know that Zlatan 'came back less fit than Bastian'? :lol: Your 'full stop' pretty much proves that there's very little point discussing anything with you as you're agenda driven and hell bent on something you've got absolutely no clue about. You've got absolutely no idea whether he was sent to reserves to gain fitness or not, bottom line for you is that Mou's a cnut.
BBC don't go via bild, Tobi's tweet was more obvious than it was cryptic & how do you know Zlatan didn't come back less fit than Bastian? He was dumped out of the Euros far sooner & went holidaying for the same amount of time.

CM

Maybe Schweinsteiger wouldn't find himself in this situation if he wasn't so visibly out of shape for the duration of his United career.

It's a bit rich claiming disrespect when he clearly hasn't been taking us seriously for the last year.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What the actual feck are you on about? He didn't look too unfit when he joined us. The first few games he certainly wasn't one of our lesser players. He got niggling injuries though and struggled to recover. Your pre-season bit is so laughable. "No pre season due to private life matters". He got to the quarters of the Euro and then got married in his holiday time (that every player gets to have, btw). Seriously, get a grip.

BBC don't go via bild, Tobi's tweet was more obvious than it was cryptic & how do you know Zlatan didn't come back less fit than Bastian? He was dumped out of the Euros far sooner & went holidaying for the same amount of time.
Why is my pre-season bit laughable? What are you failing to follow in train of thought that he was unfit->got injured->went to Euros->had holidays, private life matters, whatever the feck you want to call it-> came back to club. You think that during Euros or holidays he magically got fit?

And yeah, Zlatan also wasn't injured for fecking half of a season, unlike Bastian. Far sooner was what, two games?

Red_toad

I really hate this. If a player wants to force a move, it's perfectly fine and normal these days. If a club wants to get rid of a high earning player who is not in manager's plans, suddenly there's an outrage. By our own fans as well. Ridiculous.
Yep fully agree. If it were Rooney, there would be far less or no opposition. Bastian has been been a crock and hasn't performed as expected, even LVG spoke out at how he's not performed.
I fully support Jose on his stance, if any player is deemed as not required, there is no point in keeping them. Should not matter one jot, if he's a nice guys in the twilight of his career.

Kag

It's fine if it's not evidently impacting your performances. It clearly was with Schweinsteiger because he could barely run and was knackered after about ten minutes. Your issue seems to be more with Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick for some reason. It's not their fault Schweinsteiger has nothing left in the tank. I'd be stunned if he's still playing at the highest level in two years time.
I don't think he was that unfit. Not the box to box Schweinsteiger of old, but I always felt we had a better grip of the game when he was playing. He was no slower than Carrick or Fellaini, for example, albeit I agree he'd tail off in the second halves quite quickly.

I do take issue with the embarrassing anecdotes that have been coming out of the club over recent years and I've always been quite vocal about who I think is behind them. I think Rooney and Carrick have a big presence in our dressing room (which is a good thing) and the former certainly has a big presence with friends in the media. I don't really want to go into all of that again, in fairness. I just hope we don't hear stories about player unrest this season under the new manager. Individual players in the squad shouldn't really be getting it in the neck in the newspapers.

Mindhunter

This is the most hilarious thing I have read today. Let us win a few PLs and a CL and players will line up to join us even if we don't assign them a locker.

Too much drama about a small thing. He was a great player for Germany and Bayern so we should keep deadwood and give him the respect here which he should have got in Bayern? They moved him quickly and at the right time. Just because we are not deceptive about moving him on doesn't mean we are wrong. I think this fellow is more worried about us getting stronger in Europe than anything so starting the mind-games early.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He did look pretty fecking unfit.
It's okay to mock and laugh at Anderson for being an obese lazy piece of shit which was visible for anybody but it's not fine to question Basti's fitness levels because he's a German nati and Bayern's legend.

We should build him a shrine for winning WC with Germany.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Luca Toni, world cup winner was asked to train with reserves when he was at Bayern. Shame these Bayern officials are suffering from amnesia.

GBBQ

Just because Mourinho is guilty of a few controversial/nasty incidents doesn't mean he deserves to be vilified for every decision he makes that some people find questionable. Telling a player he is no longer wanted and making him play with the reserves is not the act of a heartless monster, it's perfectly within the remit of his job as manager. If managers can't manage their team this way without uproar from fans over harsh treatment then I really do question the fragility of modern society. The pussyfooting around and wrapping players in cotton wool approach that some fans seem to advocate is just ridiculous.
No we MUST accommodate players who we feel are good blokes. It does not matter that they do not fit the profile or system of the manager; if we get the feeling they are sound, or have had a glorious career behind them then they are untouchable.

We should ignore evidence of the players lack of effectiveness / fitness from last season also as this is not relevant to football. we need a villain and in this case its Jose.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It's okay to mock and laugh at Anderson for being an obese lazy piece of shit which was visible for anybody but it's not fine to question Basti's fitness levels because he's a German nati and Bayern's legend.

We should build him a shrine for winning WC with Germany.
Aye, too true.

Don't think I've ever seen so much blind love and denial for a player who's been here such a short amount of time and done so very little for us, and is on huge wages, and has generally looked unfit whenever he's played, and was signed after he was clearly past his best.

Seriously, who gives a flying feck? He's getting one last big pay cheque for basically doing feck all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why is my pre-season bit laughable? What are you failing to follow in train of thought that he was unfit->got injured->went to Euros->had holidays, private life matters, whatever the feck you want to call it-> came back to club. You think that during Euros or holidays he magically got fit?

And yeah, Zlatan also wasn't injured for fecking half of a season, unlike Bastian. Far sooner was what, two games?
That's odd, I don't remember many posts eluding to Schweinstiger's lack of fitness in his early days here. At least not for a few months in, anyway.

Robbie Boy

No we MUST accommodate players who we feel are good blokes. It does not matter that they do not fit the profile or system of the manager; if we get the feeling they are sound, or have had a glorious career behind them then they are untouchable.

We should ignore evidence of the players lack of effectiveness / fitness from last season also as this is not relevant to football. we need a villain and in this case its Jose.
Yup, this place is so fecking agenda driven these days, it's crazy.

Why can't people see it for what it is; Mourinho doesn't want him / doesn't feel he will fit in with what he is building. I mean, why does it have to be analysed to death. Schweinsteiger proved nothing, absolutely nothing here last season so for, y'know, footballing reasons, why would we keep him? This is just becoming a topic for the Mourinho detractors to bitch about.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Luca Toni, world cup winner was asked to train with reserves when he was at Bayern. Shame these Bayern officials are suffering from amnesia.
Very selective memory indeed.

Bayern is quickly nearing Barcelona and RM levels of unlikeability. Precious and pretentious cnuts. Just can't help themselves when there is an opening to take a snipe at the PL, and especially Manchester United.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I feel we have to back José...even if he tells me that I've got to marry Rooney. Seriously though, it's Mourinho's job that's on the line, so he has the right to make the decisions he thinks will benefit us (even if those decisions are unpopular with supporters).

Djemba-Djemba

Aye, too true.

Don't think I've ever seen so much blind love and denial for a player who's been here such a short amount of time and done so very little for us, and is on huge wages, and has generally looked unfit whenever he's played, and was signed after he was clearly past his best.

Seriously, who gives a flying feck? He's getting one last big pay cheque for basically doing feck all.
It's ridiculous.

People keep bringing up his achievements with Germany and Bayern. As if that means fecking anything in the here and now for Utd.

acnumber9

I don't think he was that unfit. Not the box to box Schweinsteiger of old, but I always felt we had a better grip of the game when he was playing. He was no slower than Carrick or Fellaini, for example, albeit I agree he'd tail off in the second halves quite quickly.

I do take issue with the embarrassing anecdotes that have been coming out of the club over recent years and I've always been quite vocal about who I think is behind them. I think Rooney and Carrick have a big presence in our dressing room (which is a good thing) and the former certainly has a big presence with friends in the media. I don't really want to go into all of that again, in fairness. I just hope we don't hear stories about player unrest this season under the new manager. Individual players in the squad shouldn't really be getting it in the neck in the newspapers.
Both players are in better shape than Schweinsteiger. Carrick's lack of pace would be more to do with his age. Schweinsteiger clearly hasn't kept himself in top shape.

It didn't require leaks for people to be aware that Schweinsteiger was swanning off on holidays while he was injured. He was advertising it himself. All that has happened is that some were allegedly unhappy and thought it unprofessional. Well no shit people would think that. Ultimately the only people to blame are the one who did it and the one who allowed it to happen. Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick are neither of those people.

Kant-ona

"It's Rummenigge."

Even many Bayern fans end their discussions with these words.

SteveJ

Scout
The one thing that affects my respect for Bayern Munich is their former players, legends and staff constantly being outspoken to the point of rudeness. They even publicly belittle their own managers and players on occasion; really annoying and arrogant.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
No, it's just that when you take off the blindfold off your eyes and watch matches where he played, you'll see that he's usually been dead after aprox 30 minutes. Or did we force him to play with injuries now? Or being injured every now and then allows you to be able to run just for 45 minutes or so?

I could just call him lazy, your pick.
It's funny really, all the matches I went to, in the pub before hand, in the press, on our forums etc I never heard a word about Bastian being obviously out of shape, couldn't run or any of that bullsh!t you're vomiting out here.

He made 32 appearances, averaging 62 mins despite being unlucky to suffer 2 bad knee ligament injuries which is quite impressive considering. Does your visual fitness judging expertise cover injury problems too? Any insight into if his lazy attitude caused these injuries?

We knew he wasn't the player we saw at Bayern, that's why he couldn't get in their team, however he was more than good enough for us. When he played he worked harder than the likes of Ander, Mata or Depay but I don't hear anyone demanding they be punished or banished from the squad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Gotze.... feck off Rummenigge

SteveJ

Scout
Bastian has been badly treated. But that said, those cnuts in Munich will never get over 99 will they...
I think it's more like the price we pay for having José as our manager; as much as he can be badly behaved, some people in football absolutely relish the chance to have a go at him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
There is always someone complaining when a player trains with the reserves.

Barca fans were crying here when we gave Valdez a salary after his injury basically just for training with us and Maradona spouted some crap when Falcao trained with the reserves.

With Basti it's all speculation. I wouldn't have forced him to train with the reserves and especially not moved his locker. But maybe he was asked to find himself a new club but made it clear he won't even consider it (after all who else is going to pay him such a high salary?).
Also last season he gets injured while on international duty, then doesn't play for us for ages but plays in the Euros.
If there hadn't been any Euros it's not impossible to think he could have targeted to get fit for season end with us.
Now he is not the first player to save himself for a tournament when you have been struggling with injuries throughout the season anyway. And from his perspective as German captain he set his priorities.

However United have other priorities and from the club's point of view it looks a bit like: " You are on high salary, have hardly been playing, neither are you a club legend so we can give a bit of preferential treatment, have been away from Manchester getting yourself fit for the Euros while your club has been struggling and missed out on a CL place."

We have been too nice to everyone the last few years (and yes imo we are also not doing everything right now as now we are being too nice to agents which is going to bite us in the future, but that 's another story).
Signing old / injured players on high salary, allowing DDG to run down his contract, etc.
When Curtois wanted to stay with Atletico and his Chelsea contract had two years left rumours were that Mourinho threatened him if he doesn't extend they will call him back and then bench him.
So while we should not disrespect our players, we should also not let them or their agents play with us thinking we are too nice to take serious actions.

As no one knows the exact story here regarding Basti, it's hard to say who is wrong and who not.

Regarding Rummenige, you can't compare him to Woodward, he is much closer to ex Bayern players than Woodward to ex United players. Fergie however would have said something if one of his favourite ex players were treated similarly. He also criticized Mourinho 's (first) Chelsea sacking and Ancelotti 's Chelsea sacking even though strictly it's not his business, but he has every right to share his opinion.

Rory 7

I think it's more like the price we pay for having José as our manager; as much as he can be badly behaved, some people in football absolutely relish the chance to have a go at him.
True. I just always get the vibe that Bayern really have it in for us though. Think of the Hargreaves situation, gazumping us for Thiago, the Muller stuff last year. You always get these little digs from their top brass.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is it basically.
People should prepare for this kind of stuff.