Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Sauxees Moi Hui

They don't need to capture Moscow. They may be holding a city next to Donetsk. Can be a huge problem for the Russian military trying to hold off Ukraine's offensive. Would also be embarrassing for the military if it couldn't defeat them quickly. If this continues, there may be powerful people going over to Prigozhin's side.

There are other alternatives, too. Rule an independent Rostov People's Republic. Or try to capture some nukes. Or who knows what else.

WPMUFC

Rubio tweeted a lot of Nat Sec stuff previously when the war broke out. US intel community likely watching this in pure amazement.

the hea

Of course.. Just wondering what Prigozhin wants here.

He is apparently unhappy with the military leadership, but surely he cant expect this to end with just a leadership change..

It's all or nothing.
My guess is that he's hoping for the lower rank commanders to join him and get the military on his side through them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
CNN and MSNBC have spent most of the evening trying to squeeze a bit more ratings out of the Titanic sub story than covering a potential coup in Russia.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
If the local Russian military/reserve decide to throw in on Wagner's side, things could get very spicy in Russia over the next few days.

I wonder how the west would react to Putin nuking one of his own cities.

The United

If the local Russian military/reserve decide to throw in on Wagner's side, things could get very spicy in Russia over the next few days.

I wonder how the west would react to Putin nuking one of his own cities.
I can't shake my feeling that we are missing something here. It seems too easy and peaceful so far.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I can't shake my feeling that we are missing something here. It seems too easy and peaceful so far.
Tin foil hat on, I guess could all be an elaborate show; some kind of distraction or something. Seems doubtful though as this is pretty embarrassing for Putin.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

This is insane. So Prigozhin is in Rostov and demanding Shoigu and Gerasimov be handed over/come to meet him.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

I don't know how this thing will end for Russia, but I wanted to share this clip from The Crown with a good description of what makes coups feasible or not.

The setting is in 1968, when disgruntled politicians/elites talked about replacing PM Harold Wilson.

Successful coups require 5 key elements: 1) control of the media, 2) control of the economy, 3) the capture of administrative targets, 4) the loyalty of the military, and 5) legitimacy.

I'm not sure this is a good thing for Ukraine, to be honest.
If the MOD yields to his demands, knowing Prigozhin's willingness to go even dirtier with his combat tactics, definitely not.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Our PM, Albo, has just told Russia that it should now leave Ukraine. This could have been over ages ago if only someone had thought of this earlier.