Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

MoskvaRed

Responding to your earlier post, I don’t see any upside in dealing with Putin on the grounds that the alternative might be worse. Short of. nuclear war, it’s hard to imagine what could be worse. In a similar vein, Yeltsin played the West like a fiddle in that respect while the nascent democratic state rotted.

NotThatSoph

Yes, I just don't know if that's at all an actual existing organisation. Maybe @harms has some idea.
There are two organizations: Freedom of Russia Legion and Russian Volunteer Corps. Both are real, both are primarily Russians.

FRL are defectors from the Russian army, former Russian PoWs, and some volunteers. I'm not aware of any ideology except opposing Putin and/or the war. RVC are nazis and other far-right flavours, a bunch of them are former Azov fighters. Russian emmigrants.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Responding to your earlier post, I don’t see any upside in dealing with Putin on the grounds that the alternative might be worse. Short of. nuclear war, it’s hard to imagine what could be worse. In a similar vein, Yeltsin played the West like a fiddle in that respect while the nascent democratic state rotted.
Worse, here, could simply be a dumb barbarian like Kadyrov - or else Patrushev or Prigozhin. People comparably bad to Putin but without Putin's political instincts to where they would wildly miscalculate by using WMDs.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Genuine question. More than yeltsin playing the west like a fiddle, wasnt more like a US drunk puppet where US poored billions to have influence over russia till pytin came?

MoskvaRed

Genuine question. More than yeltsin playing the west like a fiddle, wasnt more like a US drunk puppet where US poored billions to have influence over russia till pytin came?
My honest answer is that I don’t know. However, in the 1996 elections, Yeltsin‘s team did play heavily on the theme of give us money or the communists will get back in. I’m not sure Yeltsin was a puppet - he faced an incredibly difficult task and made a mess of It. Putin enjoyed extremely favourable circumstances (sky high commodity prices) and has turned the country into a pariah and Chinese dependecy.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Are you suggesting that you believe that NATO nations might attack Russia?
He doesn't need to do anything to fortify his borders.
The threat of nuclear weapons does that for him.
No, but as long as there is no real peace between Ukraine and Russia situations like today/yesterday can happen again (I'm talking about the Russian invasion of Russia, with Ukrainian support)

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
In my opinion, the timing couldn't be better right now for the counteroffensive for several reasons:

• Wagner's strength is depleted and they withdraw in the coming days to replenish their ranks according to Prigozhin.
• The weather should be dry enough for the heavy armor now
• Russia's military leadership is in dispute. Prigozhin insulted the Russian MoD and especially Gerasimov and Shoigu several times. This undermines their authority and is an embarrassment.
• Even Russian propagandists start fearing western weapon deliveries. F-16 is on the table. The mood on their talk shows is the worst since start the of the war.
• Russian MoD is distracted by inner disputes and saboteur actions.
• The morale of the Russian army is still very low. As soon as Ukraine started to push on Bakhmut's flanks, they started to run again.

And those are only the obvious reasons after 3 minutes of thinking. I'm sure you can find more.

Revan

Assumptionman
Worse, here, could simply be a dumb barbarian like Kadyrov - or else Patrushev or Prigozhin. People comparably bad to Putin but without Putin's political instincts to where they would wildly miscalculate by using WMDs.
I think only Patrushev from them might have a realistic chance. Aren’t the other two essentially Putin’s mad dogs, so with Putin gone, they won’t have much power. Everyone dislikes Kadyrov and he isn’t even Russian (I mean officially he is, but Russians do not really accept minorities as Russians), so feck all chance for him to get power in Russia.

Patrushev would obviously be continuing in the same way.

Agree with your main point though. If Putin falls, all bets might be off. We can see Russia getting Democratic, or Russia continuing in the same way. If the later, it might be worse than with Putin cause the new leader might be much more inexperienced and thus do many more miscalculations (unlike Putin who essentially has done just one miscalculation).

Denis79

I think only Patrushev from them might have a realistic chance. Aren’t the other two essentially Putin’s mad dogs, so with Putin gone, they won’t have much power. Everyone dislikes Kadyrov and he isn’t even Russian (I mean officially he is, but Russians do not really accept minorities as Russians), so feck all chance for him to get power in Russia.

Patrushev would obviously be continuing in the same way.

Agree with your main point though. If Putin falls, all bets might be off. We can see Russia getting Democratic, or Russia continuing in the same way. If the later, it might be worse than with Putin cause the new leader might be much more inexperienced and thus do many more miscalculations (unlike Putin who essentially has done just one miscalculation).
Putin is a coward and cares nothing about anything but himself. So he has a fair amount of self-preservation. It could become even worse if some fecking idiot who truly and wholeheartedly believes in the current Russian propaganda takes over.

WPMUFC

This will be of some interest to @WPMUFC since the fascists have decided to show up in Sydney.

Embarrassing sight, that. :annoyed:
Yeah we are getting fascists turning up at anti-trans rallies and a conservative MP from Victoria was just expelled from the Conservative Party for taking part in the anti-trans rally which was attended by neo-nazi's like this lot. I don't want to take the thread off topic, but i'll end with the news today that our national spy agency has reported a significant increase in this kind of neo-nazi, fascist feckery. So hopefully we stay ahead of it.

Real Name

They're speaking about 'getting back their land' far away from the war, in the safety of Australia. If they were in Russia they'd probably all be dead right now or most of them cause they'd be conscripted.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
So, if Ukraine belongs to Russia, due to some ancient map where Ukraine didn't exist, isn't a good portion of Russia just part of the Mongolian Empire, and should be handed back to their "historical" owners?

Edit : The map didn't even show what Putin said it did, apparently, he is not well.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So, if Ukraine belongs to Russia, due to some ancient map where Ukraine didn't exist, isn't a good portion of Russia just part of the Mongolian Empire, and should be handed back to their "historical" owners?

Edit : The map didn't even show what Putin said it did, apparently, he is not well.
Can we Germans get Königsberg back?

And by the way, uf we start talking about ancient stuff, the origin of Russia is the Kyivan Rus. So in that sense shouldn't Russia be handed back to Kyiv's control? (This is part of the ideological reason why Ukraine must be part of Russia, it is actually it's place of origin. On the other hand England isn't part of the US, which is a comparable situation)

NotThatSoph

Can we Germans get Königsberg back?

And by the way, uf we start talking about ancient stuff, the origin of Russia is the Kyivan Rus. So in that sense shouldn't Russia be handed back to Kyiv's control? (This is part of the ideological reason why Ukraine must be part of Russia, it is actually it's place of origin. On the other hand England isn't part of the US, which is a comparable situation)
They were Swedes, so...

Laurencio

Why stop there? Return it to the scythians! Clearly it belongs to Iran.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
They've already replaced "Kyiv's Rus' " with just "Rus' " in schoolbooks earlier this year.