Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Brophs

The One and Only
565 pages on this war when all you lot had to do was wait for Russell Brand’s latest video to get the truth.

spiriticon

I'm thinking we should liquidate the £340 billion of the Russian Central Banks reserves to pay Ukraine for all the damages this war has cost, as well as refund all the companies who have had their assets stolen by Russia.

These guys just do what they want.

phelans shorts

This story is just sad https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60734706

2500 killed in Mariupol so far officially, probably more due to starvation. My opinion means nothing and isn't popular, but I can see that sort of destruction occuring in other towns throughout Ukraine that resist. At some point you have to ask is it worth all the death.. life under Putin is shit but it's still a life.
It’s a question of choosing hills to die on. This is a very worthy hill for lots of Ukrainians for a lot of reasons, surrender if anything makes everyone who sacrificed so far pointless.

Many see life under the kind of suppression Putin brings as no life at all.

Rajma

I'm thinking we should liquidate the £340 billion of the Russian Central Banks reserves to pay Ukraine for all the damages this war has cost, as well as refund all the companies who have had their assets stolen by Russia.

These guys just do what they want.
This is definitely what should and I think will happen at the end of the day. Russia has inflicted the damage for the amount close to that by his point anyway.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

2500 killed in Mariupol so far officially, probably more due to starvation. My opinion means nothing and isn't popular, but I can see that sort of destruction occuring in other towns throughout Ukraine that resist. At some point you have to ask is it worth all the death.. life under Putin is shit but it's still a life.
I don't know your background but being from a country which was under rule of another for a lot of its history, you realise freedom is definitely worth fighting for (although not when I was alive).

There people are not being lied to, they willingly resist and are paying the price.

Seems like some in the West are happy to make a compromise in their name but sometimes humanity stands still until enough sacrifice themselves.

Also consider what happens if Putin takes over. A lot of murders that are public now will happen behind closed doors.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can’t help but think that the US and allies view Ukraine as already lost now from a military and humanitarian perspective and this is more of a warning to the Ukrainians than anyone else.

The warnings to Russia from NATO are basically don’t dare touch NATO territory and understand that as long as you hold your position in Ukraine, you will be under crippling sanctions.

The Firestarter

Can’t help but think that the US and allies view Ukraine as already lost now from a military and humanitarian perspective and this is more of a warning to the Ukrainians than anyone else.

The warnings to Russia from NATO are basically don’t dare touch NATO territory and understand that as long as you hold your position in Ukraine, you will be under crippling sanctions.
Cant see any indication that they view Ukraine even remotely as "lost".

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
A sad story from Italy today - a coach has overturned, it was full of refugees who'd come overland into Italy. They were very close to their destination here, Pescara on the Adriatric coast. A young mum has died, her two little kids are now alone in a strange country.

They were safe, and then everything goes very wrong in an instant.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

Surely an agreement wouldn't be a life under Putin (would be the recognition of Crimea and some form of ceasefire/recognition of that part of the east already occupied by separatists/Putin). The deal Bennett allegedly told Zelensky to accept was just that, with an added no NATO clause. All of these things were realities before the invasion, so Western Ukraine (the greater part of the country, in fact) will not be under Putin in that peace-deal scenario.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Abramovich over the past 2 or 3 days has flown from Moscow to Tel Aviv and now headed to Illinois, USA

It would be interesting to see if any news agencies could figure out if he's running around bribing politicians in Israel and the US

IL is the two letter code for Israel, isn't it?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
A sad story from Italy today - a coach has overturned, it was full of refugees who'd come overland into Italy. They were very close to their destination here, Pescara on the Adriatric coast. A young mum has died, her two little kids are now alone in a strange country.

That’s awful :(

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

A happier story out of Italy:

CraftySoAndSo

Sorry if been posted but don't worry everyone Elon's got Ukraine's back. He's challenging Putin to single combat with the prize being Ukraine.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Sorry if been posted but don't worry everyone Elon's got Ukraine's back. He's challenging Putin to single combat with the prize being Ukraine.
Musk is full of surprises.... I for one didn't think anybody could get me rooting for putin
If Musk wins I think he implants nuralink in his new subjects and sends them off to mars to dig tunnels

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is there any way they can both lose and the prize is we don't ever have to hear from either again?

tomaldinho1

From a NATO perspective it’s a dream scenario really as long as Putin doesn’t escalate to attack a member state. They are crippling Russia beyond anything they probably thought possible to do without causing WW3 and Putin himself has enabled them to do it. Whilst the Ukraine war is horrible for those connected and for us ‘normal’ people looking on, I’m certain it’s been seen as an opportune window to essentially give NATO carte blanche re sanctions and Ukraine is a necessary sacrifice for that by the higher ups.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
From a NATO perspective it’s a dream scenario really as long as Putin doesn’t escalate to attack a member state. They are crippling Russia beyond anything they probably thought possible to do without causing WW3 and Putin himself has enabled them to do it. Whilst the Ukraine war is horrible for those connected and for us ‘normal’ people looking on, I’m certain it’s been seen as an opportune window to essentially give NATO carte blanche re sanctions and Ukraine is a necessary sacrifice for that by the higher ups.
Yeah that’s the between the lines of my post succinctly put.

Wing Attack Plan R

I kinda like to see a poll here to gauge what everyone’s belief is regarding Putin’s real objectives: is he stopping with Ukraine? Are the Baltic nations next, followed by Poland and Slovakia? Will he continue creeping westward? I personally think that is Putin’s true goal: to retake everything formerly controlled by the Soviets.

So in other words, everything short of taking him out is merely appeasement. It pushes the decision onto someone else while allowing Putin to grow stronger. As much as we don’t like it, war is inevitable, and by that I mean WWIII.

Do we really want another Cold War with sporadic outbreaks of violently hot war? Democracy itself is at stake, and I think In this globalized economy we are able to see that dictatorships and totalitarianism just don’t mesh with a viable future. Putin is now a war criminal. There is no way back into the graces of the G8 or the security council with him in charge; he’s an international pariah. So it all ends for him with a rope. In the meantime, how many lives are we willing to sacrifice to continue living in our bubble?

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I kinda like to see a poll here to gauge what everyone’s belief is regarding Putin’s real objectives: is he stopping with Ukraine? Are the Baltic nations next, followed by Poland and Slovakia? Will he continue creeping westward? I personally think that is Putin’s true goal: to retake everything formerly controlled by the Soviets.

So in other words, everything short of taking him out is merely appeasement. It pushes the decision into someone else while allowing Putin to grow stronger. As much as we don’t like it, war is inevitable, and by that I mean WWIII.
If not stopped in Ukraine he will take Moldova next. He won't directly attack any NATO members but will use other methods to foment unrest in the former Soviet republics on the Baltic, similar to what he's done in Donbas, etc. Former Warsaw PAct countries may be next.