Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Like any other obliterated village/town by Russian artillery, the contested places are being level to the ground by Russian fascist forces but Amnesty thinks Ukrainian positions are what’s endangering civilians.
That's not what the report you're referring to said at all, what's the point in making stuff up weeks after the fact?

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
What did report say?
You know what it said, because people in here spent pages upon pages whining about it. It was about some instances, fighting out of places like populated shools and hospitals, not general defenses of cities and towns. For instance, they found no evidence of Ukrainian soldiers endangering civilians during the defense of Kharkiv, so why would they find evidence in a ghost town like Pisky? You're just making stuff up.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What did report say? I’m just exposing Amnesty for being paid Russian shills.
You realize Amnesty have heavily criticized and reported on the Russians, right?

While there's something to be said about how Amnesty approached the release of that one particular report, they are not "paid Russian shills".

Rajma

You realize Amnesty have heavily criticized and reported on the Russians, right?

While there's something to be said about how Amnesty approached the release of that one particular report, they are not "paid Russian shills".
Yeah, sure.
Believe me…I have been living in a county under a strong influence of Russian propaganda from all sorts for a very long time…I can tell one when I see one. Unsurprisingly, people living near Russia always end up being the most accurate about Russian tactics and motives.

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Glorious nation of Kazakhstan!

But seriously, it's interesting that Kazakhstan feels comfortable doing this. I guess they know Russia doesn't have the forces to attack it anytime soon?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Glorious nation of Kazakhstan!

But seriously, it's interesting that Kazakhstan feels comfortable doing this. I guess they know Russia doesn't have the forces to attack it anytime soon?
That is quite fast for Kazakhstan to switch sides... remember just weeks before the war started there was public unrest and Russian troops where needed to keep the president in his office.

Rajma

Shoigu sidelined and Putin has taken the charge himself, the history didn’t teach them anything.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Seems that the war has turned into an almost total stalemate, with very little movement from either side? Just old fashioned untargeted artillery from the Russians and a few headline Ukrainian moves workout too much immediate impact in terms of the front line?

How do they consistently nullify the artillery disadvantage without an airforce to speak of?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I guess we are about to find out in the next month whether Ukraine had what it takes to really push back the Russians. It feels like it is now or never.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I guess we are about to find out in the next month whether Ukraine had what it takes to really push back the Russians. It feels like it is now or never.
How do you see the onset of winter affecting each sides' ability to conduct the war?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How do you see the onset of winter affecting each sides' ability to conduct the war?
I’m not any sort of expert, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, but if Ukraine is now briefing about this advance then they will pouring significant resource and effort into this push. You can’t do that very often and fail before morale is sapped and resources are depleted.

I’d imagine in a harsh winter the advantage goes to the sides that truly believes in what they are fighting for, but if the ground gets wet and boggy then advancing becomes more difficult.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I listened to a very interesting lecture from Italian historian Alessandro Barbero about how the world descended to WW2 from a political perspective. Its staggering how similar the situation was to what we have now.

A-You have a country who had just lost land (Germany-WW1 and Russia-Soviet union) and whose quite nationalist driven
B- You have a complacent Western Europe who is in no mood for war and who needs this rogue nation (ie Nazi Germany/Russia) as a bulwark against communism/because it needs its natural resources
C- Similarly to Hitler, Putin is persuading minorities within foreign countries to cause unrest. Any reaction against them is then used as a casus belli to invade and assimilate those countries.
D- similarly to the Nazi army at the beginning of the war, the Russian army is overrated.
E- Putin has an 'italy' in Belarus aka an ally bound by ideology who is being dragged into a war it simply isn't keen or prepared war

The Firestarter

I listened to a very interesting lecture from Italian historian Alessandro Barbero about how the world descended to WW2 from a political perspective. Its staggering how similar the situation was to what we have now.

A-You have a country who had just lost land (Germany-WW1 and Russia-Soviet union) and whose quite nationalist driven
B- You have a complacent Western Europe who is in no mood for war and who needs this rogue nation (ie Nazi Germany/Russia) as a bulwark against communism/because it needs its natural resources
C- Similarly to Hitler, Putin is persuading minorities within foreign countries to cause unrest. Any reaction against them is then used as a casus belli to invade and assimilate those countries.
D- similarly to the Nazi army at the beginning of the war, the Russian army is overrated.
E- Putin has an 'italy' in Belarus aka an ally bound by ideology who is being dragged into a war it simply isn't keen or prepared war
A very big omission is that the US is armed to the teeth compared to 1939 when it was largely isolationist and had a token land army (navy was different matter). Also , I don't think the Wermacht was in any point that incompetent compared to what the Russians have demonstrated.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A very big omission is that the US is armed to the teeth compared to 1939 when it was largely isolationist and had a token land army (navy was different matter). Also , I don't think the Wermacht was in any point that incompetent compared to what the Russians have demonstrated.
Similarly to WW2 no one is in the mood to be dragged into war. Also the Wermacht was at a different beast at the beginning of the war

The Firestarter

Similarly to WW2 no one is in the mood to be dragged into war. Also the Wermacht was at a different beast at the beginning of the war
No matter what kind of beast it was, they championed the maneuvering warfare tactics which Russians 80 years later couldnt perform. Its night and day really.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
But dissimilar to WW2, NATO countries (especially the US) have been providing a lot of weapons to Ukraine so it can defend itself - which it is (fairly) successfully doing. As it stands, Russia is not managing to conquer Ukraine, is therefore unlikely to attack anywhere else, and would be even less likely to do so successfully (since almost everywhere else to its west are NATO countries).

Your comparison is just really far-fetched.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What did report say? I’m just exposing Amnesty for being paid Russian shills.
So after the entire discussion had previously, which showed up your point for extremely short-sighted (for starters, Amnesty has criticized Russia many times already; why would shills do that?), you are just going to repeat it verbatim as if nothing happened?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I’m not any sort of expert, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, but if Ukraine is now briefing about this advance then they will pouring significant resource and effort into this push. You can’t do that very often and fail before morale is sapped and resources are depleted.

I’d imagine in a harsh winter the advantage goes to the sides that truly believes in what they are fighting for, but if the ground gets wet and boggy then advancing becomes more difficult.
It's certainly the case that Russia will not be wanting to feed and heat an army in a foreign country over a bitterly cold long winter, and with supply lines being constantly hit. I'd think for example, that in the planning for this war there was little to no thought about what would happen beyond the end of winter 2021/2022. It helps the Ukrainians that they have no real choice, and are in a largely friendly environment. I think what WILL help Russia is the inevitable pause /reduction in hostilities so they can recalibrate for a potentially longer war.