Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Would there be any, though? At least in public. People usually overestimate the capability of the public who have been living in these oppressive regimes for decades and underestimate the brutalty of the regimes.
Not in a "take it to the streets" way that gets you locked up. But in all the other ways for sure.

Only kim jong un has no effective limit to his power in the face of public opinion.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Really desperate move - get those regions to 'vote' to join Russia, declare them part of Russia like Crimea and then say we're happy to stop the war. When Ukraine refuses say there is no choice but to mobilise the armed forces as they're protecting their lands and, more worryingly, he can then use that fabricated excuse to justify the previous threat of tactical nukes if Russian lands were being attacked. He is an old man, he doesn't give a shit what the world looks like in 10 years' time, the thousands who have died are solely because of him and the oligarchs who enabled him - his legacy should be to have his name synonymous with being a war criminal and nothing else.
Putin would be dead within the week if he went nuclear.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Those in Munich after they sell the real estate perhaps.
I'm living on the exact opposite end of Germany and can say that most people I know here view Berlin just as an embarassing burden to the country and a total money waste :devil:

Back on topic: I do believe that DNR and LNR try to get into "real Russia" asap now to be protected as part of the Russian heartland and therefore cause a pretext for full mobilization in Russia.

But I somewhat doubt that this is really in Putin's interest right now. If he accepts them into Russia he has to defend them and I doubt that this is what he still wants to do with full force.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Really desperate move - get those regions to 'vote' to join Russia, declare them part of Russia like Crimea and then say we're happy to stop the war. When Ukraine refuses say there is no choice but to mobilise the armed forces as they're protecting their lands and, more worryingly, he can then use that fabricated excuse to justify the previous threat of tactical nukes if Russian lands were being attacked. He is an old man, he doesn't give a shit what the world looks like in 10 years' time, the thousands who have died are solely because of him and the oligarchs who enabled him - his legacy should be to have his name synonymous with being a war criminal and nothing else.
I think there are several reasons Putin won't use tactical nukes or any nukes.

1. Russia want to control Ukraine, making it radioactive would not help that effort.

2. What international support they have would dry up, outside of China. India would likely be very unhappy, Turkey too. US would likely put sanctions of China if they didn't stop all support.

3. The US will respond with proportional non-nuclear weapons, from ships or by plane. The only reason they're holding back is they don't want nukes in play. Once that line is crossed it could easily lead to NATO troops joining in to just vaporize every Russian target in Ukraine from the air and by sea.

4. Putin is a cold, calculating gangster, he likes wealth, he's a hedonist. He's been able to nuke the world for decades, but his violence had always been about increasing his power.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what's the point of these referendums? Wouldn't Putin be committing himself even more to this conflict?

TheReligion

Abusive
Putin does seem to be backing himself into a corner here. Where will he draw the line?

His previous military big talk looks kind of silly now given the damage the UA is inflicting. Not only that his budget, and forces, are already depleted and lacking morale. To try and threaten NATO with anything would be suicide and he must know that.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think there are several reasons Putin won't use tactical nukes or any nukes.

1. Russia want to control Ukraine, making it radioactive would not help that effort.

2. What international support they have would dry up, outside of China. India would likely be very unhappy, Turkey too. US would likely put sanctions of China if they didn't stop all support.

3. The US will respond with proportional non-nuclear weapons, from ships or by plane. The only reason they're holding back is they don't want nukes in play. Once that line is crossed it could easily lead to NATO troops joining in to just vaporize every Russian target in Ukraine from the air and by sea.

4. Putin is a cold, calculating gangster, he likes wealth, he's a hedonist. He's been able to nuke the world for decades, but his violence had always been about increasing his power.
1. I don't think he gives a shit about that.

2. I think would be quite strong. Even China would have to pull the plug on him.

3. Yeah, I think a likely outcome is Nato claiming the airspace over all ukraine and from there blowing up all russian targets inside the Ukraine.

4. His personal power is also tied into his vanity, which is greatly assailed by all this. It's possible that anything but continuous escalation is unacceptable to him in the face of possible failure.

A lot depends on how it is deployed. 3. is the response if it's at a military target. If he strikes at a civilian target, the US won't stop at the Ukrainian border.

tomaldinho1

@B20 I agree he'd (hopefully) be overthrown if he did try to use nukes. I don't think that means he won't try something if he suffers a complete defeat in this war, which doesn't seem that unlikely.
@The Firestarter I agree but would that stop him trying it. This is his last throw of the dice to secure more territory for Russia - it doesn't seem that unlikely that Ukraine reclaim it's full country including Crimea in the coming years, he would rather die than let that happen. If he does move to full mobilisation and stays in power, the amount of casualties is going to be so insanely high
@Beans sadly I don't think he cares about any of those points and is so secure in office there's a risk.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Both Putin & Shoigu are expected to give a speech later tonight, according to RBC.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Best case scenario from the ones that strike me as plausible:
  1. Staged referendums for joining russia happens. plot twist: They all vote for joining russia!
  2. Ukranian forces continue making inroads into Donbas.
  3. Russia declare they are being invaded. Start a draft.
  4. Russia continue to lose in Ukraine. Only now with much higher losses.
  5. Popular opinion in Russia absolutely plummets. Putin's position becomes increasingly untenable even inside Russia. People fall out of windows like never before.
  6. Someone (possibly plural) with the means to execute such a plan figures that if you could try for hits again Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev and Gorbachev, why should Putin be spared?

the hea

The main problem with a mobilization as I see it is, who the hell are going to lead all these troops? All officers and NCOs are already in Ukraine and Russia doesn't train reservists officers or NCOs.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The main problem with a mobilization as I see it is, who the hell are going to lead all these troops? All officers and NCOs are already in Ukraine and Russia doesn't train reservists officers or NCOs.
This is true, and not only who is going to lead them, who is going to arm them, get them to Ukraine, keep them supplied? If the Russians can’t supply their current army I can’t see how they can supply a larger one.

The Firestarter

Bigger problem, who the hell is going to work in the already battered Russian economy? Transition to rationing , food stamps etc how do explain this to the people for which 99% of them don't see any bombs falling or troops invading , just a head on a screen.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It would be interesting to know how long it would take from a declaration of mobilisation to an actual increase of armed troops on the battlefield. Surely it will be a few months?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Best case scenario from the ones that strike me as plausible:
  1. Staged referendums for joining russia happens. plot twist: They all vote for joining russia!
  2. Ukranian forces continue making inroads into Donbas.
  3. Russia declare they are being invaded. Start a draft.
  4. Russia continue to lose in Ukraine. Only now with much higher losses.
  5. Popular opinion in Russia absolutely plummets. Putin's position becomes increasingly untenable even inside Russia. People fall out of windows like never before.
  6. Someone (possibly plural) with the means to execute such a plan figures that if you could try for hits again Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev and Gorbachev, why should Putin be spared?
I'd agree with this. There is no way for Putin to win this at this point.

1. Do nothing and have Ukraine gradually erode Russian gains to pre-Feb levels, or possibly worse, reclaim all of Donbas and begin looking at Crirmea.

2. Launch a series of sham referendums in Kherson and other controlled areas as a pretext to justify a full mobilization. This won't work either since time is not on Putin's side and anyone mobilized (whether prisoners or ordinary Russians) won't be any better than the cannon fodder Putin has already introduced into war over the past 7 months.

3. Use tactical nukes, thermobaric weapons, and/or strike nuclear plants to create a catastrophe within Ukraine. This won't work either because it would escalate into NATO involvment inside Ukraine, which would effectively crush any Russian operations in country.

In summary: Putin is fecked and is likely going down Ceaușescu style.

the hea

It would be interesting to know how long it would take from a declaration of mobilisation to an actual increase of armed troops on the battlefield. Surely it will be a few months?
Those who are completing their conscript service this year could be available in a much shorter time. In fact they could already be moving to Ukraine right now if Putin has made the decision.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Small summary:

Putin, the day before: "war with Ukraine will end as soon as possible":rolleyes:

Maybe I'm being naive, but this could still be posturing for a peace deal. Thing is, at this point it won't work. Too much water under the bridge, and there's a reason why Peter and the Wolf ends the way it ends.

On topic, if Russia hypotetically fully mobilizes against a country that is a EU candidate, are there any implications for the rest of EU members?

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Putin, the day before: "war with Ukraine will end as soon as possible":rolleyes:

Maybe I'm being naive, but this could still be posturing for a peace deal. Thing is, at this point it won't work. Too much water under the bridge, and there's a reason why Peter and the Wolf ends the way it ends.

On topic, if Russia hypotetically fully mobilizes against a country that is a EU candidate, are there any implications for the rest of EU members?
I don't think so. While it's important for Russia internally if they call it a war or not, if they fully mobilize or not, the rest of the world sees it as a war and it won't make a difference if Russia is sending kontraktniki or conscripts into this war.

MoskvaRed

Time to ramp up support for Ukraine before winter kicks in. Unless you think there is a material risk of Russia dropping nukes (I don’t, unless Ukraine starts attacking Russia itself), then we are facing a paper tiger here.

nickm

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by your first sentence.

You're saying helping Ukraine is dangerous because it leads to war, and that pointing out Russia is losing doesn't negate this? Sure, but I wasn't saying otherwise.

Russia was going to invade unless they were simply given the country. The people of Ukraine clearly wanted to resist, no one forced them to. War was going to happen, it wasn't something the US could stop.

Are you saying Ukrainians would have been better off living under Russia than having everything destroyed and many of them dying, asking if it's worth the cost? I don't think there's a clear answer to that.

On Cuba, they did get more attention because they were so close, but it's not this irresistible force. You wouldn't say to the USSR that it was futile to help Cuba because it's so close to the US border.

Mearsheimer's not just pointing out that spheres of influencee exist, and that it's a mistake to help Ukraine. He's saying the US and NATO are to blame for the war happening because they dared to ally themselves with Ukraine, because of its location on the Russian border.
Sphere of influence works two ways though. Ukraine wanted to be the in the grouping influenced by the US and EU, two economic superpowers and one military one. Russia overplayed their hand thinking they could stop it. In truth war came because Russia spectacularly misjudged the geopolitical realities and massively overestimated its own power.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sphere of influence works two ways though. Ukraine wanted to be the in the grouping influenced by the US and EU, two economic superpowers and one military one. Russia overplayed their hand thinking they could stop it. In truth war came because Russia spectacularly misjudged the geopolitical realities and massively overestimated its own power.
I do accept the concept that states can have there sphere of influence based on their economic or military power, that is simply a geopolitical reality. But what I don't get with Mearsheimer is why we should treat those spheres of influence as immutable? Why should the West stop at Ukraine when we included the Baltics and all other slavic states that were under Soviet influence?

People like Mearsheimer sooner or later have to realize it, just like the Russians have to as you mentioned. It's just sad that this learning process is paid for by a lot of innocent lives.