Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Eurotrash

Environmental blackmail maybe? I don't know if it is technically possible, but maybe Russia could turn on the gas on their end and it gushes out in the baltic sea?
Looks like they might have done done exactly this on NS2. The gasflow had subsided. When the investigative team from Sweden approached, the gasflow increased again.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looks like they might have done done exactly this on NS2. The gasflow had subsided. When the investigative team from Sweden approached, the gasflow increased again.
These feckers. I hope Putin gets thrown into the Gates of Hell gas crater.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The parody camp strikes again. :lol:

It is actually incredible how the corruption and incompetence has so thoroughly saturated all layers of the Russian state. I used to think of it as a kleptocracy in the sense of the top people being thieves. But Russia seems to be run on a wholly kleptocratic foundation. Everyone steals, your station simply determines how much. Is Russia basically a kleptocratic culture at this stage?

Easy to imagine what happened here. Some functionary snapped a photo of some winter uniforms taken from an open crate, in front of some other closed crates, reporting "1.5m uniforms present and accounted for", paid a few bribes downwards, a bigger bribe upwards and pocketed the difference himself from buying 15 uniforms and a bunch of crates, rather than 1.5m.

dove

The parody camp strikes again. :lol:

It is actually incredible how the corruption and incompetence has so thoroughly saturated all layers of the Russian state. I used to think of it as a kleptocracy in the sense of the top people being thieves. But Russia seems to be run on a wholly kleptocratic foundation. Everyone steals, your station simply determines how much. Is Russia basically a kleptocratic culture at this stage?

Easy to imagine what happened here. Some functionary snapped a photo of some winter uniforms taken from an open crate, in front of some other closed crates, reporting "1.5m uniforms present and accounted for", paid a few bribes downwards, a bigger bribe upwards and pocketed the difference himself from buying 15 uniforms and a bunch of crates, rather than 1.5m.
Basically nothing changed since the soviet era, hardly a surprise they want to restore it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
"in an interview with CNN‘s excellent Matthew Chance, Zelensky made it clear that he had actually accepted U.S. intelligence warning of a Russian invasion but wanted to downplay that so as not to tip off Russia to the fact that Ukrainians were furiously preparing a defense, deliberately trying to throw the Kremlin off so that if/when the invasion came, the Russians would be caught off guard, fall behind schedule, and sustain more casualties from a far more prepared Ukraine than anticipated, a point I have yet to see anyone else make."

https://realcontextnews.com/putins-zombie-russian-slavic-ethnonationalism-is-utterly-banal/

Rajma

Ukrainian armed forces asked for operational silence (not sharing any speculation and information in the social media regarding the advances) from everyone at this time, it gives me a good feeling (considering the panic in russian chats I’m reading today across most fronts).

Last edited:

ShoePolish

I guess russian governemt considers Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts a free game.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Ukrainian armed forces asked for operative silence (not sharing any speculation and information in the social media regarding the advances) from everyone at this time, it gives me a good feeling (considering the panic in russian chats I’m reading today across most fronts).
Absolutely I agree. The contrast in professionalism between the two armies is so stark.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
They also “annexed” Donetsk and Luhansk based on the 2014 borders, they know what’s coming and the backtracking has begun.
At some point it hopefully will be announced that Putin has had a heart attack and died in his sleep, and the next leader can do what Khrushchev did to Stalin's legacy and memory. We can but hope.

ShoePolish

They also “annexed” Donetsk and Luhansk based on the 2014 borders, they know what’s coming and the backtracking has begun.
Yeh, I think rest of the world is calling their nuclear bluff, and they've been found out. Just like attacks on Crimea before, they are playing it dumb as not to seem like they're not following through on their threats.

Rajma

They have left one NS2 line operational intentionally too knowing that the pressure will mount to open it up, now that NS1 is fully out of order. I’m not surprised that people in west still falling for this, they have been toyed with by Russian propaganda for ages without realizing it. They must have been laughing in Kremlin all those years really how suspect western population have been to their trolls and disinformation campaigns. Imagine they now blow up Norway’s pipe and only viable option will now suddenly going to be NS2, accidentally?
:) If you want to know Russia just listen to those who know Russia (baltics).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeh, I think rest of the world is calling their nuclear bluff, and they've been found out. Just like attacks on Crimea before, they are playing it dumb as not to seem like they're not following through on their threats.

I think this has already been conveyed to Vlad during backchannel communications.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It increasingly feels as if they didn't want that red line to be a red line.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is quite impressive. If extrapolated over another month or two, it would pin most eastern Russian positions back to where they were pre-invasion.

ShoePolish

I think this has already been conveyed to Vlad during backchannel communications.
Different precedent now, though. Attacks on Belgorod, Crimea etc, he put on random natural causes, now, his claimed territory is actually getting conquered by nazis, and he can't hide that.
He has escalated twice recently, with moblization and annexation ceremony, one can breathe a sigh of relief, that western politicians are not trying to avoid confrontation and look for appeasement through any means necessary.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If my auto-translate is correct, these are new guys recently called up.

(Sensitive, NSFW etc)