Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yea, it's 4th or 5th time that Belarus is supposedly 'just about to invade'.
Lukashenko doing his usual dance of appeading Putin while not doing anything to grt properly involved?

Stactix

Wish I hadn’t seen this but at the same time I think it’s important to know what they’re actually doing to the people of Ukraine. Description below.

A clip showing dead Ukrainian civilians being thrown in a mass grave. One is still alive.

Saw this, heartbreaking. Hopefully the West has finally learnt that you can't 'appease putin'.
Just like you shouldn't reward your child with a toy after they start hitting you.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So now Putin comes out and accuses the Ukrainians of terrorism re the bridge. I mean, where does this prick get off?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Let's play a drinking game, ever time Russia talks about nukes but doesn't use one, take a shot.

Interesting choice by Trump, to support Russia at this point in time, when they're finally being pushed back. Americans don't agree, but then he's never gone after the swing voters, has he.

RedDevilQuebecois

I know that I thought the quote/title was either harsh or clickbait material, but I took a look at it anyway. Gen. Clark is definitely spot on when he said that Russian military doctrine basically did not evolve despite the considerable changes in weapons and tactics for most countries over the last 105 years.

The final third/quarter of the intervention is about what to expect in the context of Putin using nuclear weapons. The US already studied scenarios of what to do after a nuclear strike during the Cold War, and there is just no winning way out for troops deployed in an area that has been struck by a nuclear bomb.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
No question the troops in the area will die.

But Ukraine don't mass troops like people did in WWII. It seems more effective as an act of terror, unless you're prepared to nuke the whole country. Again I would say that if anyone thought that was a good idea why didn't the USSR do it back in the day? Could have nuked Afghanistan.

phelans shorts

There is nothing so far to suggest Putin’s talk of nukes is anything but grandstanding bluster. Every line that’s been suggested as where he’ll push the button has been passed without any such reaction.

Obviously if he were to it would be horrific, but intelligence is clearly pointing to it being an empty threat because Ukraine keep pushing, successfully. The threat is there in the hope it’ll make Ukraine and their allies back down and accept Russia stealing this land, which is rightly not happening. Putin is a lot of things, an idiot isn’t one of them. He’s well aware that if he takes that route it ends fairly sharpish with him in a coffin (if he’s lucky)

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I know that I thought the quote/title was either harsh or clickbait material, but I took a look at it anyway. Gen. Clark is definitely spot on when he said that Russian military doctrine basically did not evolve despite the considerable changes in weapons and tactics for most countries over the last 105 years.

The final third/quarter of the intervention is about what to expect in the context of Putin using nuclear weapons. The US already studied scenarios of what to do after a nuclear strike during the Cold War, and there is just no winning way out for troops deployed in an area that has been struck by a nuclear bomb.
Thanks for that, great to see someone with military expertise outline how nuclear weapons have "disappointing" results on the battlefield.

dove

Kiev apparently under attack this morning:
I don’t know what they are trying to achieve doing things like this. We are well aware already that russia is a fecked up terrorist state. Do they want to make sure we don’t forget it or what?

Real Name

I don’t know what they are trying to achieve doing things like this. We are well aware already that russia is a fecked up terrorist state. Do they want to make sure we don’t forget it or what?
They'll probably go with the Ukrainians are doing that themselves to blame it on us - stuff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They want to strike fear, is my guess. But these random missile attacks have zero military value.

Dans

They simply want revenge (for the bridge) and still believe in all their mental sickness, that they are justified in attacking Ukraine but that the Ukraine isn't justified in attacking their territory (or what they consider as theirs) at all. See Putin's earlier assertion that the bridge attack was a terrorist action (whereas bombing civilians in Ukrainian cities isn't). Ludicrous.

Rajma

Whole of Ukraine is currently under heavy rocket assault, this is barbarism of the highest proportions. Why the west still haven’t provided air defenses to cover main cities???What are we waiting for, more pointless deaths??? What’s going on?? Also, why is Russia not officially recognized as terorrist country in US/EU??

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's stupid. Those missiles could be put to much greater tactical use. They're gonna miss those, and many other they sent only to terrorize civilians.

Does Putin not realize he can't scare Ukrainians when their enslavement is at stake? The whole world has noticed their incredible resolve.

Is it for domestic consumption? Is this about explosions on TV convincing the Russians that things aren't bad on the battlefield? If they can't get the reconnaissance they need to hit crucial targets accurately, this may be the most they can do with them.

Dans

It's nothing more than vengeance. The Russians are sick puppies the lot of them. They need, frankly, to be taught a lesson.

Dans

I have a horrible feeling they are going to rain bombs down on Kyiv all week.