Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Very worrying the way this is going as it looks like Russia are preparing the way for a nuclear attack.
Feels that way. Everyone calling Putin’s bluff and the nut case feels he needs to do something so people actually fear it.

Again I’m predicting this to occur on Russian soil not Ukrainian if it occurs. He will do everything to make it a non international incident to avoid the insane consequences.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ukrainian military intelligence is saying that Russia is creating the illusion of leaving Kherson but instead they're preparing for defense.
Russia is bringing new military units into Kherson as it prepares to defend the city from any fresh Ukrainian offensive, the head of Ukraine’s Defense Intelligence Agency said in an interview with Kyiv-based news website Ukrainska Pravda.

Maj. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov said that, while Moscow was moving injured people, cash and the Russian-installed administrative authorities and financial institutions out of the city, it was putting more troops in.

“[Russian bank] Promsvyazbank and other financial structures that the Russians brought there are being taken out,” Budanov said.

“They are taking out cash, [internet] servers, the so-called occupation authorities … All the non-walking, seriously injured are being taken out, they are trying to discharge those who can walk as soon as possible from hospitals … They create the illusion that everything is lost,” added Budanov.

“And at the same time, on the contrary, they bring new military units there and prepare the streets of the city for defense.”
http://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-10-24-22/index.html

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Joint statement by the US, UK and France. Wonder why Russia felt bothered to communicate this on such a high diplomatic level rather than just spout it on their state TV.

Earlier today, the defense ministers of each of our countries spoke to Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu at his request. Our countries made clear that we all reject Russia’s transparently false allegations that Ukraine is preparing to use a dirty bomb on its own territory. The world would see through any attempt to use this allegation as a pretext for escalation. We further reject any pretext for escalation by Russia.
https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-on-ukraine-2/

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Weirdly enough he’s been universally criticized by other parts of Russian propaganda & Simonyan even said that they’re dismissing him from RT.

The conspiracy lovers think that it may be either scripted altogether or smartly used by the Russian propaganda to get even more support for an upcoming even stricter anti-LGBT propaganda law — see, even a good gay is inherently bad. When you look at the Russian comments under Simonyan’s statement, the predominant message is +- “what have you been thinking employing gay in the first place”.

Edit: the head of the investigative committee (not sure what the right translation would be) just said that they’re going to look into Krasovsky’s words, which more or less equals a criminal case (he would say that publicly unless he already knew that they’re going to nail Krasovsky for it).

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Joint statement by the US, UK and France. Wonder why Russia felt bothered to communicate this on such a high diplomatic level rather than just spout it on their state TV.

https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-on-ukraine-2/
Shoigu has to do something, I guess, it’s not like his trusted with anything else nowadays.

It had to be such weird calls though — you can’t hang up and you have to sit there and listen to Shoigu spouting obvious bs for what I’d imagine was a significant amount of time.

FrantikChicken

So Ukraine are going to Nuke themselves (even though they have no Nukes) to turn the world against Russia?

Yeah because Russia are really popular internationally right now.

Even by the standards of Russian propaganda that ones dumb as feck.
Is it though?

let’s consider the situation:

Ukraine has been crying out for more help from the west since the start of this war. It’s already been very long and costly for them. Russia just conscripted 300k additional soldiers, the Ukrainians don’t have that luxury. after the bombing of the Crimea bridge, Russia decided to turn the screw and precision attack their infrastructure. This means blackouts throughout the country on the daily, and winter is coming. If Ukraine feels they can’t last the winter, a move like this could be their Hail Mary as it would get the west fully involved.

I’m not saying this is true, but let’s not be blind to the possibility that desperate people can do desperate things.

Anustart89

Is it though?

Ukraine has been crying out for more help from the west since the start of this war. It’s already been very long and costly for them. Russia just conscripted 300k additional soldiers, the Ukrainians don’t have that luxury. after the bombing of the Crimea bridge, Russia decided to turn the screw and precision attack their infrastructure. This means blackouts throughout the country on the daily, and winter is coming. If Ukraine feels they can’t last the winter, a move like this could be their Hail Mary as it would get the west fully involved.

I’m not saying this is true, but let’s not be blind to the possibility that desperate people can do desperate things.
But they need to have nukes for them to be able to nuke themselves? The entire thing is toppled at the first obstacle. It’s like me saying I’m going to use my huge cock to end the war.

Siorac

Feels that way. Everyone calling Putin’s bluff and the nut case feels he needs to do something so people actually fear it.

Again I’m predicting this to occur on Russian soil not Ukrainian if it occurs. He will do everything to make it a non international incident to avoid the insane consequences.
What exactly would be the point of detonating one of their own nukes on their own territory? Blame the West or Ukraine? Show that they are willing to use nukes.... on themselves? I'm struggling to think of any benefit of Russia nuking itself. I mean, benefit for Russia.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What exactly would be the point of detonating one of their own nukes on their own territory? Blame the West or Ukraine? Show that they are willing to use nukes.... on themselves? I'm struggling to think of any benefit of Russia nuking itself. I mean, benefit for Russia.
What they could do would be a classic nuclear test.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not that I think this is realistic or even feasible, but they could frame that as justification for further escalation. Don't think it makes much sense, but that's pretty much the sole possible reason

stevoc

It's obviously bullshit, but it's not that incoherent. While Russia is obviously extremely unpopular in NATO-alligned countries, it's also true that their involvement as of now is providing money, equipment and training, while direct intervention is off the table. Biden and other high ups have said that if Russia uses nukes they'll escalate into direct military involvement, so if Ukraine managed to stage a false flag operation involving nukes then that could be a way to get NATO to attack Russia proper. Which they won't, because it's made up.
I get what you're saying but don't have Nukes though and everyone knows this. If they still had a Nuclear weapons programme this invasion wouldn't have happened in the first place.

But as someone else pointed out it's most likely for their domestic audience, most of whom don't seem to have access to news other than Russian state propaganda.

harms

Staff
Is it though?

Imagine the risk of such action — I'm not even talking about the radiation etc., I'm talking about the possibility of this false flag operation being uncovered. How do you think it will impact the popular image of Ukraine and its support in the Western countries?

Ukraine isn't that desperate — in fact out of the two Russia clearly struggles more, militarily, politically, economically etc.

stevoc

Is it though?

Yes, it makes little sense.

Ukraine don't have Nukes so they couldn't Nuke themselves (even the idea of Ukraine nuking their own country is ludicrous and idiotic) if they had Nuclear capability Russia would have never invaded in the first place.

They could use a dirt bomb of sorts to blame Russia but Russia do have Nukes so they wouldn't use a dirty bomb. No one would buy that it was Russia, the US's intelligence apparatus is the best in the world they would probably know full well who set the bomb off. Such a crazy and reckless move would do more harm than good for Ukraine in getting more support form the West.

And besides with how this war is playing out it looks like Ukraine won't need NATO boots on the ground to beat Russia.

Simbo

Very worrying the way this is going as it looks like Russia are preparing the way for a nuclear attack.

Nah, this is just standard Russian things, there is nothing new here. They've been pushing narratives like this since before it started, all through their Syrian campaign and probably every other theatre they’ve operated in. Sometimes they’ll amplify it with fake videos, sometimes with a few phone calls, it’s all the same.

Nothing Russia says for public consumption should ever be taken seriously. Not in the slightest.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Is it though?

the west becoming more involved doesnt help with the power grid so no I dont accept they are planning a false flag.

Russia telling lie after lie for 8 months now leans me towards them being untruthful this time too.

FrantikChicken

the west becoming more involved doesnt help with the power grid so no I dont accept they are planning a false flag.

Russia telling lie after lie for 8 months now leans me towards them being untruthful this time too.
what? It means pushing Russia out of Ukrainian territory.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just read that Ukraine will begin mobilization now too - everyone under 60.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Israel is growingly concerned by the “dangerous closeness” between Russia and Iran over the supply of drones manufactured in the Islamic Republic to attack Ukraine, and is, as a result, holding daily assessments to review its position on the conflict, Prime Minister Yair Lapid told The Jerusalem Post.

“Part of the work we’re doing has to do with the very dangerous closeness that is being created between Russia and Iran,” Lapid told the Post in an interview on Sunday. “It’s not something we are going to ignore or do nothing about… so what we need to do is reassess on a daily basis and react.”
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/article-720456

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"In a letter led by Rep. Pramila Jayapal, the 30 Democrats call on Biden to pair the unprecedented economic and military support the U.S. is providing Ukraine with a “diplomatic push, redoubling efforts to seek a realistic framework for a ceasefire.”

Carolina Red

Staff
"In a letter led by Rep. Pramila Jayapal, the 30 Democrats call on Biden to pair the unprecedented economic and military support the U.S. is providing Ukraine with a “diplomatic push, redoubling efforts to seek a realistic framework for a ceasefire.”

Unless Ukraine asks us to mediate, they can feck right off with that proposal.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

How much kompromat do they have on US politicians anyway?

MTF

I started reading a book about the evolution of US nuclear strategy (The Bomb: Presidents, Generals, and the Secret History of Nuclear War), still in the earlier parts. But one thing so far that seemed a parallel to this situation is when the Nixon administration tried to play up the "madman theory", that Nixon might nuke North Vietnam in a fit of anger, to try and persuade the North Vietnamese to agree to a more favorable (for the US) peace agreement. The North Vietnamese were pretty unmoved by the threat. They then tried to sort of play the same card again on the Soviets, going as far as putting Strategic Air Command on one of their most active alerts in their history (more bombers in the air at all times) for about a week. The angle was also that they wanted the Soviets to pressure North Vietnam into a more favorable peace deal, and again that Nixon was so mad and angry that he might actually use the nukes. The Soviets also didn't seem to give a shit.

There's a parallel here where Ukraine is like North Vietnam, and the US and USSR/Russia are essentially inverted. Back in the late 60s/early 70s the thinking in the US was already that any sort of nuclear exchange was unlikely to be limited in any way, and would likely escalate rather quickly into an all-out exchange with casualties in the hundreds of millions for both sides, with neither of the countries ending up intact in any recognizable way (early US plans also roped China into the targets, whether they had initiated anything or not).

It's the only way to treat the nuclear threat really, given how utterly irrational it would be for any of the major countries to use one.

The United

Now, Republicans can say the opposite of it since some Democrats took that route?