Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
"In a letter led by Rep. Pramila Jayapal, the 30 Democrats call on Biden to pair the unprecedented economic and military support the U.S. is providing Ukraine with a “diplomatic push, redoubling efforts to seek a realistic framework for a ceasefire.”

Maybe the US and Russia can meet in Munich to discuss the future of Ukraine. Would that make these guys happy?

Any chance for a diplomatic solution ended when Russia annexed more Ukrainian territory and ensured that it would never return the territory to Ukraine.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’m not saying his comments are pre-planned, but don’t mistake RT’s stance and the very loud, faux outrage of high profile Russian figures as anything other than the obvious attempt to court positive attention from pro-Russian westerners. We’ve literally watched Simonyan et al say just as horrific things on a weekly basis.

RedDevilQuebecois

Maybe the US and Russia can meet in Munich to discuss the future of Ukraine. Would that make these guys happy?

Any chance for a diplomatic solution ended when Russia annexed more Ukrainian territory and ensured that it would never return the territory to Ukraine.
Very much this. The only ceasefire will come after Crimea falls back into Ukrainian hands after almost 9 years.

Not often I say this, but those (30) Democrats can feck right off. Idiots.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Yevgeniy Prigozhin, the Russian tycoon behind the mercenary group Wagner, personally told Putin that his military chiefs are mismanaging the war, U.S. officials said."

NotThatSoph

There's been some talk in here about alleged spying in Norway, with some arrests made. Drones and the like. I don't think much is known about those cases yet, but one person arrested in Svalbard is Andrey Yakunin, son of Vladimir Yakunin who has pretty close ties to Putin (Wiki link). https://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/...-er-en-del-av-putins-absolutt-naermeste-krets

What the cases involving drones mean is hard to say, because with the sanctions it's illegal no matter how benign the filming is so it can be anything. In this specific instance it's also a bit more unclear about the legalities with Svalbard having some laws about discrimination based on nationality that may or may not be relevant here. More on that: https://www.nrk.no/tromsogfinnmark/angriper-droneforbudet_-_-bryter-mot-svalbardtraktaten-1.16145691

Both articles in Norwegian, so you'll have to use a translator if you're interested in details.
Two more arrested Saturday, charged with illegal photography. https://www.nrk.no/nordland/to-russere-pagrepet-i-nordland-1.16150870

Cops wanted them to be held in custody for 2 weeks, but the courts rejected that on Monday and said they'll have to be released. The picture is of a harbor, taken from a moving car, and the court argues it doesn't show anything you can't see on Google Maps. Further they say it's not visible that the harbor is military. The cops have appealed, so they're still being held.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Some people were also arrested for photographing the coast guard base in Sortland, I believe. The problem is that the coast guard base is right there in the harbour, with nothing at all protecting it from casual view. It's on Google Earth, you can find pictures of it on their official site, and there's a major bridge offering a perfect view of it.

The law is the law, but I think a lot of people have violated it in some of these areas. I might have taken a picture of a coast guard ship in Sortland myself for all I know, I can't remember.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ukraine needs more modern air defense systems...

According to a statement from Ukraine government IRIS-T has a 90% success rate. That's much higher than what S-300 manages so far.

The Firestarter

Ukraine needs more modern air defense systems...

According to a statement from Ukraine government IRIS-T has a 90% success rate. That's much higher than what S-300 manages so far.
Shocking, modern missile works better than vacuum tube 70s rust bucket. Although for the times it was a really capable system and range wise it still kind of is. But everything Russian made suffers from significant reliability issues.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Send in the 10th Mountain Div as relief pitching -- in their winter kit, who would know the diff?!

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

I expect they weren't paying any attention and assumed all the liberals were anti-war. It's a move that usually looks good to their constituents.
The letter calls for continued millitary assistance and an Ukrainian victory. Hardly anti war.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The letter calls for continued millitary assistance and an Ukrainian victory. Hardly anti war.
Yes, but you understand what I mean, right? Liberals tend to be anti-war, suggesting a cease fire will appeal to liberals in 19/20 cases. I suspect they didn't realize how it would land, or they wouldn't have said it, considering they immediately changed their minds.

Rajma

Could have been for the other thread in general forum but anyway Tik Tok is not good for your health:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
What do they have against the mustache part of the beard?

Edit: I’m glad they’re dead

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Could have been for the other thread in general forum but anyway Tik Tok is not good for your health:
How stupid are they to reveal their position like that? Do they think partisans they dont know their public buildings and report them?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its a good point that often gets glossed over when assessing Russia's chances of actually winning the war. They can't win it on conventional terms because they no longer have the troops or logistics to do so. This is why we're seeing the drum beat about the possibility of a WMD or dirty bomb.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I expect they weren't paying any attention and assumed all the liberals were anti-war. It's a move that usually looks good to their constituents.
Jayapal and Khana have just about destroyed their credibility by this stunt.

RedDevilQuebecois

Jayapal and Khana have just about destroyed their credibility by this stunt.

They should feel lucky that the ballot can't be changed now because they both deserve to be primaried and booted out of office in the next election cycle after such silly stunt.

Its a good point that often gets glossed over when assessing Russia's chances of actually winning the war. They can't win it on conventional terms because they no longer have the troops or logistics to do so. This is why we're seeing the drum beat about the possibility of a WMD or dirty bomb.
Yet I still see a number of people losing their shit over the threat or still siding with Russia like the gullible fools they (99% hard "conservatives") are. Russia just can't afford to walk into that territory now matter how much drum beat they make because 1) we already mentioned how little tactical value there is in using anything nuclear and 2) any use of a dirty bomb would trigger unprecedented actions from other nations to punish Russia even harder.