Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Rajma

I don’t understand why United States and EU have not officially recognized Russia as a terrorist state/organization yet? What else they need to see to make sure? What the heck. I’m raging here.

frostbite

I don’t understand why United States and EU have not officially recognized Russia as a terrorist state/organization yet? What else they need to see to make sure? What the heck. I’m raging here.
I agree with this.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I fear the most difficult times for the civilians are yet to come. Energy infrastructure is already critically damaged in some parts and with temperatures starting to drop below 0, it will be a real challenge.

Russia should have waited for the seriously cold weather to hit power supplies. They might have given Ukraine chance to repair some before it comes. I'm assuming a limited supply of cruise missiles though, I suppose.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
However, there will be almost no intact Ukrainian cities left soon - the number of casualties, especially civilian, on Ukraine's side will start to become a number so high that it will become a driver for more decisive action.
:lol:

You clearly don’t have any idea what is going on in Ukraine.

More people died in the Manchester arena bombing than have in many (most?) Ukrainian cities since the start of this fresh invasion.

Oldham

This is just horrible. Time the West stepped up and started bombing military targets in Russia, or at least draw a fukcing red line and act on it...

RoyH1

Putin might be the rule / leader, but I think they have enough men who think like him so the regime would continue with a new leader.

I'm not saying I think WWIII will happen or to totally defeat Russia by the way, just that I don't think getting rid of Putin would solve the problem the west has with Russia and their current government
I agree. I think we'd get someone even worse (yes it's possible) since I think the hardliners are actually the strongest opposition to Putin. I cannot envision a Putin succesor pulling out of the Ukraine without paying a huge political price.

This is just horrible. Time the West stepped up and started bombing military targets in Russia, or at least draw a fukcing red line and act on it...
The former is not going to happen since it'd start WW3. I think the current model of arming the Ukranians is working well enough for most decision makers in the West

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
However, there will be almost no intact Ukrainian cities left soon - the number of casualties, especially civilian, on Ukraine's side will start to become a number so high that it will become a driver for more decisive action.
Basically all of the Western and Central Ukraine have barely been touched in recent months and casualties among civilians have been low so far.

stevoc

While that shouldn't spark a NATO military response Russia should at the very least be warned the next time it happens it will spark one. Which should hopefully discourage them from firing inaccurate missiles from the caspian sea.

Sarni

I wonder how stray 'stray' turns out to be.
It is extremely close to the border and they fired rockets at Ukrainian towns that are 15-20 km from over there... so probably just an accident. Polish sources describing it as a tractor explosion for now though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Just... why? The launch bases for the missiles aren't in ATACMS range, so I don't understand the connection between those topics
Because the US has been withholding them to avoid escalation, and now Russia has bombed Poland. Giving Ukraine these missiles would put all of Crimea into range of the Ukrainian forces and would be a reasonable response to Russia’s own escalation. It’s avoids any military intervention by NATO but punishes Russia’s incompetence or malice.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I wonder how stray 'stray' turns out to be.
Seems like a less than zero percent chance that Russia deliberately targeted a NATO country. There's nothing to gain, and potentially a lot to lose. I don't think NATO is going to invade Russia or anything, but they could step up arms deliveries to Ukraine.

Siorac

Seems like a less than zero percent chance that Russia deliberately targeted a NATO country. There's nothing to gain, and potentially a lot to lose. I don't think NATO is going to invade Russia or anything, but they could step up arms deliveries to Ukraine.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Of course, Russia has ample supply in both malice and stupidity so sometimes it's hard to tell...

phelans shorts

Either that or NATO entering west Ukraine to create a buffer of some description and really pressuring Russia

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Or maybe russia wsnts NATO to get in, win the war, wrap it up and tell the guys "we couldnt do anything against +20 countries. Will get revenge one day"

Much better losing directly to NATO than against ukraine with indirect help

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Of course, Russia has ample supply in both malice and stupidity so sometimes it's hard to tell...
I agree that it’s most likely incompetence, but the Russians should account for their weapons’ inaccuracy to when picking targets. They aren’t accidentally bombing Lebanon when they meant to hit Syria. They’re hitting NATO.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
By the way some reports suggest that the cruise missiles were hit/damaged by Ukrainian air defence before hitting Poland.

That's a plausible scenario and should cause everyone to calm down a bit. Russia didn't target Poland, neither on purpose nor by accident, they still "only" attacked Ukraine.

On further thought... let's forget about being reasonable, we should take Königsberg back as a first retaliation.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
By the way some reports suggest that the cruise missiles were hit/damaged by Ukrainian air defence before hitting Poland.

That's a plausible scenario and should cause everyone to calm down a bit. Russia didn't target Poland, neither on purpose nor by accident, they still "only" attacked Ukraine.

On further thought... let's forget about being reasonable, we should take Königsberg back as a first retaliation.
Something we can all agree on

Sarni

Yeah. Most likely it is a recoil or a missed target, very little chance that they hit Poland on purpose. People over here freaking about it a lot but I’m not really buying into any panic over what has happened here (as opposed to what went on with energy infrastructure in Ukraine).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am not sure about that.
On almost any other day, I would agree with you.
But today, Russia was very heavily criticised at the G20. And Zelenski was remotely addressing G20 saying Ukraine will not give up any of its territory to Russia and intends to fight to the end.

Maybe I am wrong.
But I can visualise a discussion saying - just fire one of the 100 or so missiles over the border into Poland and lets see what the reaction is....

the hea

It could be a malfunctioning Ukrainian air defense missiles or it could be a damaged Russian cruise missile that overflew it's target. There is no way of knowing until the Polish military has examined the debris.