Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Grow up.
The broader parameters have been set by the US/NATO not to step onto Ukrainian soil at any point/supply it with aircraft/set no fly zones etc, thus giving the rare advantage to the enemy (Putin) of knowing that we will remain inactive regardless of whatever depredation he visits upon the population. We should -minimum, and for example- have at least warned him through private channels that if he uses chemical or biological weapons, we will respond militarily. Now, whether you fear that might lead to WWIII or not is irrelevant. In the face of a brutal bully, a stand must be taken, action threatened and followed through with.
Biden's permissive pre-war comments about the comparative acceptability of a 'minor incursion' helped set a confused and unresponsive tone for the invasion and if America is not going to take the boldest possible steps to assist the Ukrainian people, at least Biden could step up the public rhetoric in defense of the values the Ukrainians are fighting for in this conflict, which go beyond their country's sovereignty.
So, according to you the fear of a nuclear WWIII is irrelevant. And you're telling me to grow up? It sounds to me like you're lost in machismo posturing.

And you want America to take "the boldest possible steps to assist the Ukrainian people". Well, bombing every Russian convoy in Ukraine to hell would be pretty bold - but it seems that you imagine Putin would just fold at that point and do nothing in response. I suggest you re-think that fond imagining, and instead imagine Russian missile strikes on the airbases from which those bombers took off from. And then what?

You also say that Biden should "have at least warned him through private channels that if he uses chemical or biological weapons, we will respond militarily". Well, if it's a private warning, how do you know that he hasn't already done that? The answer is you don't.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So... the Moscow Stock Market will open on Monday? Are you guys ready to buy cheap?
It's not really opening - because only Federal Loan Bonds will be open for trading, not stocks and shares.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We should -minimum, and for example- have at least warned him through private channels that if he uses chemical or biological weapons, we will respond militarily. Now, whether you fear that might lead to WWIII or not is irrelevant. In the face of a brutal bully, a stand must be taken, action threatened and followed through with.
Irrelevant? Are you serious?

Needham

So, according to you the fear of a nuclear WWIII is irrelevant. And you're telling me to grow up? It sounds to me like you're lost in machismo posturing.
And you want America to take "the boldest possible steps to assist the Ukrainian people". Well, bombing every Russian convoy in Ukraine to hell would be pretty bold - but it seems that you imagine Putin would just fold at that point and do nothing in response. I suggest you re-think that fond imagining, and instead imagine Russian missile strikes on the airbases from which those bombers took off from. And then what?
You also say that Biden should "have at least warned him through private channels that if he uses chemical or biological weapons, we will respond militarily". Well, if it's a private warning, how do you know that he hasn't already done that? The answer is you don't.
No machismo posturing. Graphic here has it about right.
https://fight4ukraine.org/

the hea

VDV is essentially an evil looking riot police, that is their purpose. They are not trained for military battles and combat. They were used because Russia did not expect having to fight a real war, so it is quite logically that VDV suffered heavy losses.
I think you are mixing up the VDV with Rosgvardiya here.
The VDV is the Russian airborne forces and one of the Russian armys spearhead forces. They where at least before this conflict seen as one of the elite forces of the Russian army.
The Rosgvardiya or the national guard of Russia is on the other hand an internal force reporting directly to Putin and separeted from the army. They are basically a more heavy equipped police force.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Mean him personally or any other internet random freaking out at Putin's bluff. All he has to do is say the word 'nuclear' and we stand by and watch the rape.
You do realise he has over 6000 nuclear warheads and you want to go all Rambo to see if he will or won't let the missiles fly? Ludicrously big gamble with the costs of failure potentially then end of civilisation as we know it.

Last edited:

Needham

You do realise he has over 6000 nuclear warheads and you want to go all Rambo to see if he will or won't let the missiles fly? Ludicrously big gamble with the costs of failure potentially then end of civilisation as we know it.
No one mentioned going Rambo, that's just your daft reactionary characterisation. Look again at that graphic, and see what Ukrainians and other voices are suggesting could be done to pressure Putin more.

You think the western world is working at the very limits of what's advisably possible as a response, that there's no more it could do without Putin incinerating the globe? It's a fallacious point of view forever defended with that "Do you want WWIII??" used if you suggest we could be doing more...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No one mentioned going Rambo, that's just your daft reactionary characterisation. Look again at that graphic, and see what Ukrainians and other voices are suggesting could be done to pressure Putin more.
I'm all for helping Ukraine but direct NATA military intervention in Ukraine is well and truly going Rambo and could well push Putin to use nukes especially as we would presumably wipe the floor with them quite quickly. No matter what how can Russia having nukes be irrelevant?

Asger

US/NATO needs to Bomb Kremlin soon!

And Tony Kevin and others that support Putin in this should be shipped to Ukraine or put in prison as soon as possible.

Last edited:

so has the stock market opened yet?
No. Government bond trading only from 10am London time. They've started a closed pre auction and the price has dropped 10% in that.

I haven't seen any news on when the actual stock market will reopen.

Drifter

American
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has banned eleven opposition parties, while also planning to unify all media under 1 channel.
Sounds like a dictator

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sounds like a dictator
I don't know the exact context of this and what those parties are like but the UK didn't have an election for 10 years from 35 to 45 during WW2.

Not particularly unusual for some kind of martial law to come into place when your country's existence is put into question.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't know the exact context of this and what those parties are like but the UK didn't have an election for 10 years from 35 to 45 during WW2.

Not particularly unusual for some kind of martial law to come into place when your country's existence is put into question.
Also, who thinks the BBC, ITN, Channel 4 and Sky News would all be able to do four separate simulcasts of rolling news if Britain was invaded? I’d fully expect and support them being forced to pool their resources to keep people informed in that situation.

Maticmaker

Putin started to push his neighbours around over ten years ago, no one really pushed backed, certainly not NATO, so he has carried on. The inability to knock out Ukraine quickly will only probably make Putin more determined, especially if he is in his own 'bubble' and is listening only to himself.
It looks increasingly likely that if NATO and the West are not willing to risk a bigger /wider confrontation, not so much direct nuclear war, but something that would or could move swiftly to it through one mistake, then the only way Putin will be stopped is by his own people. This will take time to occur and the suffering in the Ukraine would continue.

One thing for certain the world will never quite look the same as it did before this madness began!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Russians are apparently digging into their positions, building trenches where they can't advance like in Kyiv.

I think Putin is attacking in the West, even ineffectively, to keep anyone else's troops from entering the country and holding the Western half of Ukraine, which could have been easily done weeks ago.

I also think Russia is desperate to make sure no one else helps Ukraine with men, thus the nuclear threats. What if Russia did launch a tactical nuke at, say, Australian troops that showed up to help? Worldwide condemnation? If so it would be worth it (if anything can be said to be worth the lives of soldiers), to turn China against them, it could end the war. I mean if tactical nukes are so clever why not use them against Ukraine? Talk about psychological warfare, it would surely be very effective at terrorising Ukrainians and getting them to flee.

I think the truth is he won't use them, unless someone invades Russia which is never happening.