Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

dove

I deleted my earlier post about advances on the Kinburn Spit (part of peninsula west of Kherson) because I wasn’t sure about the source, but there’s more unconfirmed reports coming in about it so might as well share. That would mean they’re already across the water, so the vids with special forces/marines on boats might be legit and from that area.

I guess Ukraine MoD pretty much confirms that some missions are happening in the area.

Don't Kill Bill

I think it was the Sonar that changed the war in the Athlantic?
U Boats spent longer on mission on the surface than underwater. The invention of airborne radar meant they were vulnerable to attack, detection and destruction on the long journeys out to their allotted stations.

The United

He's like a transfer muppet tease sometimes.

I mean you can guess they are up to something when they released that video of soldiers crossing something and it would most likely for misleading.

frostbite

I honestly cannot understand why anti-Putin activists go back to Russia, just to be jailed and tortured. What do they think they can achieve? Do they expect a revolution? Do they feel the need to prove they are not afraid of torture? Do they expect something to happen and they don't want to miss it? Are they just naive?

These are not rhetorical questions, I really cannot understand why they do it.

Prominent examples are Navalny and Kara-Murza.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63597097

When Vladimir Kara-Murza announced he was returning to Moscow earlier this year, his wife Evgenia knew the risk but did not try to stop him.

Russia had invaded Ukraine and made it a crime to call it a war. Thousands of protesters had been arrested. Vladimir himself was a sworn opponent of President Vladimir Putin and an outspoken critic of atrocities committed by his military.

Still, the opposition activist insisted on being in Russia.

Now he has been locked up and charged with treason and Evgenia has not been allowed to speak to him since April.

But in a series of letters to me from Detention Centre No. 5, Vladimir - who has twice been the victim of a mysterious poisoning - says he has no regrets, because the "price of silence is unacceptable".

RedDevilQuebecois

Even Lenin remained in exile when he pulled the strings of the Russian Revolution that saw the downfall of the Romanovs in 1917. I don't think that doing stuff while in exile makes people think any less of an activist with genuine beef against the current regime.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Probably a question for the military historians but what other weapons system has turned the tide on a conflict in such a way...save for the manhattan project which didn't turn the tide but sped up the inevitable, I think its the proximity fuze in the AA artillery during WW2. Overnight the Axis losses of aircraft increased by orders of magnitude. Also, the Stinger missile during the first Afghan War.
effective high-altitude anti-air missiles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-75_Dvina#War_in_Vietnam:_Countermeasures_and_counter-countermeasures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie#The_"missile_problem"

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Even Lenin remained in exile when he pulled the strings of the Russian Revolution that saw the downfall of the Romanovs in 1917. I don't think that doing stuff while in exile makes people think any less of an activist with genuine beef against the current regime.
this if off topic, but he was ineffective and kept out of his own party's working when he was in exile. he wrote and mailed editorials that the rest of the party leadership rejected and never published.

it was only after he smuggled himself back to russia that the bolsheviks changed their campaign totally, and decided to focus on a revolution to immediately end russian participation in the war, even if it meant defeat and loss of land.

but in any case, i don't know if this is relevant to the dissenters today.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Probably a question for the military historians but what other weapons system has turned the tide on a conflict in such a way...save for the manhattan project which didn't turn the tide but sped up the inevitable, I think its the proximity fuze in the AA artillery during WW2. Overnight the Axis losses of aircraft increased by orders of magnitude. Also, the Stinger missile during the first Afghan War.
The First tanks would be up there.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Western sources have picked up this story.

Besides releasing a video showing them committing an actual war crime, there is a moratorium on the death penalty in Russia, not applicable for treason at any rate, requires a jury trial and must be carried out privately by shooting.

Wagner releasing this video just goes to show that the application of law is well and truly abolished in modern Russia.

Simbo

The "negotiations" desperation and propaganda is really ramping up after Kherson, as expected.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Some balls on this fella.
The guy is a wonderful communicator. And there is a lesson to all politicians.
Don't try to be so clever and arrogant that you lose sight of who you are and why you are in the job.
You are there to serve and not the other way round.

It is difficult to think of another world leader who displays this important and endearing characteristic.
The vast majority are arrogant narcissistic bullies full of self worth and full of self importance

The Firestarter

U Boats spent longer on mission on the surface than underwater. The invention of airborne radar meant they were vulnerable to attack, detection and destruction on the long journeys out to their allotted stations.
I agree with that, but sonar was critical in defending the convoys when u boats would attack submerged .

Rajma

First frost is already expected to arrive this week and coupled with the relatively dry weather forecast provides now good conditions for any ground operations. Imo Ukrainian winter kit will be so much superior to average Russian one that they would be stupid not to leverage that to full extent once the proper winter hits the fan. The motivation amongst the Russian mobilized will be at an all time low during the winter as their first priority will be around basic survival.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I guess Ukraine MoD pretty much confirms that some missions are happening in the area.
There are constantly reports about Ukrainian special forces active on Kinburn peninsula, and about Russians firing artillery on them. As this is still ongoing it looks like Russia wasn't able to completely repel the attack, but I personally doubt that Ukraine will be able to get much attacking potential there to start a new offensive...

However just their presence means Russia has to make sure they still cover that area and can't move all their troops elsewhere.

Simbo

A certain "highly qualified intellectual independent analyst" that a caf mod used to link to all the time, suggested the other day that the Kherson retreat is part of a deal struck as part of negotiations between the US and Russia :lol:

It made me think of this TV show, I think he's auditioning for a part on it.

GloryHunter07

I am really surprised every time I read about "depleted stockpiles". First of all, it is hard to believe this, because the main US power is in the Air Force, and we have not used any Air Force weapons here. We have also not used any tanks or tank ammunition, because Ukraine's tanks are not compatible. And we have definitely not used any navy ammunition, and the US Navy has plenty of rockets and stockpiles. So, the "depleted stockpiles" can only refer to the artillery, which a very secondary weapon for the US, as far as I know.

The other thing is, why do the Americans need to have full stockpiles, if not for helping counter Russia? I mean, the reason we have stockpiles is exactly for what is happening now, right?

It reminds me of the earlier articles about Germany "worrying" about their stockpiles if they give any ammunition to Ukraine. What would Germany need their stockpiles for? It is not like Poland or China would invade Germany and they'd need their artillery ammunition, right?
Artillery, Anti tank missiles, Anti aircraft missiles..

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Currently there seem to be developments in two areas.

More solid are reports about a Ukrainian assault on the Svatove/Kreminna front line (continuation of the Izyum/Lyman operations). It looks like that front might collapse soon (rather days than weeks), Russian telegram channels already reached the "Don't panic" stage in their reporting about that area.

Much more doubtful are reports from the Kherson area.
It seems reasonable to assume that Ukraine took Kinburn peninsula by an amphibious assault (the left green circle), which is a difficult area for heavy equipment. But there are some reports that they moved quite a long way to the east and took villages there (the smaller green circles). If that should be true (which I doubt) it would mean that they already took a huge part of the left bank of the river, just days after the huge Russian retreat happened exactly there. Where are the Russians? Why should a small amphibious assault unit be able to perform such a large operation? At the moment I believe this to be just rumours and wishful thinking.

Rajma

Currently there seem to be developments in two areas.

More solid are reports about a Ukrainian assault on the Svatove/Kreminna front line (continuation of the Izyum/Lyman operations). It looks like that front might collapse soon (rather days than weeks), Russian telegram channels already reached the "Don't panic" stage in their reporting about that area.

Much more doubtful are reports from the Kherson area.
It seems reasonable to assume that Ukraine took Kinburn peninsula by an amphibious assault (the left green circle), which is a difficult area for heavy equipment. But there are some reports that they moved quite a long way to the east and took villages there (the smaller green circles). If that should be true (which I doubt) it would mean that they already took a huge part of the left bank of the river, just days after the huge Russian retreat happened exactly there. Where are the Russians? Why should a small amphibious assault unit be able to perform such a large operation? At the moment I believe this to be just rumours and wishful thinking.
Could they be just totally unprepared for any activity across the Dnipro river? They have been retreating their forces from the right bank for the past few weeks and diverting them to other fronts right away believing that Dnipro would serve us natural defensive barrier leaving the left bank wide open? I’m not sure how would that work logistically speaking but hey their command must have been planning this for a long time as they likely knew about the eventual retreat for months now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Could they be just totally unprepared for any activity across the Dnipro river? They have been retreating their forces from the right bank for the past few weeks and diverting them to other fronts right away believing that Dnipro would serve us natural defensive barrier leaving the left bank wide open? I’m not sure how would that work logistically speaking but hey their command must have been planning this for a long time as they likely knew about the eventual retreat for months now.
Yes that sounds like the only reasonable explanation if it should be true. But it would be truly amazing as realistically the numbers in that area are somwhere between 10:1 and 100:1 in Russias favour, and only Russia would have heavy equipment on that side. As I have no reports from Ukrainian sources about such a large scale movement (only reports about Kinburn itself) I tend to believe that they "only" took Kinburn and then executed some well orchestrated artillery strikes on the left bank to create the illusion of an advancing force to cause chaos and confusion, basically a PsyOps barrage to increase the effect of the actual SpecOps.