Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Come on, that's obviously completely made-up bullshit. That said, I've just pissed 97.2% of the volume of urine that I did in 2007 after 12 bottles of Peroni, so maybe they're onto something.
The map specifically says "share of population" in the Oblast.

Mykholyv and Kharkyv are definitely correct. Zap is probably not far off the mark either if they are going by population centers and not land. If you control the northern part of the Oblast where Zap City is, you control a majority of the population in the Oblast. They do need to update Kherson though since the Ukrainians reestablishing control of the city, means they now control most inhabitants in the Oblast.

Drawfull

Mykholyv and Kharkyv are definitely correct. Kherson and Zap are probably not far off the mark either if they are going by population centers and not land. In Kherson, if you control the city, you control a vast majority of the poeple in the Oblast. Similar thing applies in Zap. If you control the northern part of the Oblast where Zap City is, you control a majority of the population in the Oblast.
They're not correct to hundredths of a percent. If they are, then whoever's counting it needs to get their arse over to your neck of the woods.

Rajma

The videos from Kherson are so emotional, those soldiers must be overwhelmed now. Herojam Slava!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
And think that the russians were expecting to be received like that...

Simbo

Just watched the panorama documentary on Mariupol. Required watching for anyone who still doesn't realise that Russia is pure molten evil. Stories that should never be forgotten.

Not sure if its available anywhere other than BBC iplayer yet.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Dafuq? Putin will fall, but do you think Putin will kill him first for that?

He's going to fall out of a window pretty soon while having a cigarette. Wonder if the assassination of his daughter has made him not care about his own life anymore.

NotThatSoph

Dafuq? Putin will fall, but do you think Putin will kill him first for that?

"Calls for" is a bit strong. It's a 100 year old literary reference which is again referencing older folklore, and even then it's written more as "this is what happens" than "this is what should happen".

Cloud7

What a pointless war this has been so far. Barring tactical nukes, Russia has lost. 100.000 dead or wounded is staggering considering the length if the war. Of course Ukraine is destroyed more than Russia, but they have handled it bravely and superbly. Somewhat scary to think about how we go from here. Putin cannot be treated any differently than the fascist dictators of the recent past.
It really is wild when you think about it. By the end of this conflict Russia may realistically end up having massacred thousands upon thousands of their own men (presumably men in the prime age of their lives as well), totally tanked their economy and the reserves they had in stock and made themselves a complete pariah in the international community, all while having actually gained nothing bar the destruction of their neighboring country.

Simbo

It really is wild when you think about it. By the end of this conflict Russia may realistically end up having massacred thousands upon thousands of their own men (presumably men in the prime age of their lives as well), totally tanked their economy and the reserves they had in stock and made themselves a complete pariah in the international community, all while having actually gained nothing bar the destruction of their neighboring country.
It’s losses all round. Aside from the killed and kidnapped people, Ukraine will come out of this a much stronger country when all is said and done. I’d expect floods of foreign aid and investment. They will build a military that ensures Russian can never again threaten them and be on a path to one day join EU/NATO. They will also be first to jump to aid against Russia whenever any other country needs it.

demetre

This didn’t age very well.
For some reason this reminded me of a guy who used to post here during early months of war:

The messaging here (Russia), albeit not stated so directly, is that Putin has to take all of Ukraine at this point. First Donbas (which will likely fall by the end of June), then the north, then Lviv, with the aim to have the entire country 'taken' by October. Putin (via Peskov) keeps saying that the 3 core aims of this "special military operation" given by Putin prior to the invasion (destruction of the Azov Batallion, demilitarisation of Ukraine, and Ukrainian neutrality) have not changed, and – this part matters most – he has “no doubts that they will be accomplished in full” (he doesn’t say stuff like this if he doesn’t strongly believe it’s a foregone conclusion). The Azov Batallion have already surrendered, neutrality is basically assured at this point, which leaves only the trickiest one: demilitarisation. Since the US are at least saying they're committed for the long term, that means Putin needs Kiev (although literally an hour ago John Kirby at the Pentagon gave a press conference in which he said they need to be realistic about sending heavy weapons to Ukraine because "time is not on our side" - in other words, this looks like being over sooner rather than later, but I'm going to write more on that when I reply to an earlier post that was addressed to me about why I believe Ukraine can't win this war from here).

I've already stated my belief that there isn't going to be a meaningful counter-offensive (there is a massive disconnect between what Zelenskiy and Kuleba say in their rallying calls when addressing the likes of Davos or the American Senate, and what the actual generals on the ground like Zaluzhnyi are saying).
Wonder what happened to that guy. Probably thinks they are fighting NATO or what's the latest copium out there.

massi83

For some reason this reminded me of a guy who used to post here during early months of war:

Wonder what happened to that guy. Probably thinks they are fighting NATO or what's the latest copium out there.
I am sure @Cheimoon will promote him again soon enough.

Simbo

Oh he's busy trolling other message boards I'm sure.

MoskvaRed

In terms of the costs for the naked aggressor:

- Economic destruction
- Loss of any remaining European understanding (outside lunatic fringe/payroll)
- Diplomatic isolation
- Loss of influence in Central Asia
- Military crippled and fearsome reputation gone
- Educated youth fled abroad
- Ukraine now with strong national identity and strongly anti-Russian
As for the “gains” column, they have a strip of devastated land which they can, at best, try to hold in a frozen conflict at the cost of further destroying their country’s future.

I honestly struggle to think of a parallel for such wanton self-destruction (Don’t mention the “B” word - that almost seems sane by comparison).

Sanchez7

- Economic destruction
- Diplomatic isolation
As for the “gains” column, they have a strip of devastated land which they can, at best, try to hold in a frozen conflict at the cost of further destroying their country’s future.

I honestly struggle to think of a parallel for such wanton self-destruction (Don’t mention the “B” word - that almost seems sane by comparison).
To add -
Finland/Sweden on their way to entering NATO

massi83

Not sure why I need to be dragged into this?
Because you are the one who started spreading the asshole's propaganda here (from newbies), even before he was promoted. But mainly it was a joke that you have a tendency of promoting banned users (madwinger), albeit there was 2 assumptions from me, 1 that it was you who promoted him and 2 that he is actually banned.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Because you are the one who started spreading the asshole's propaganda here (from newbies), even before he was promoted. But mainly it was a joke that you have a tendency of promoting banned users (madwinger), albeit there was 2 assumptions from me, 1 that it was you who promoted him and 2 that he is actually banned.
Well, that's wrong on all counts then. I don't have that tendency, I didn't promote him, he's not banned, and his early posts were actually interesting (before he started posting here and focused on bashing Glasto and basically everyone that disagreed while exaggerating his own points).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well, that's wrong on all counts then. I don't have that tendency, I didn't promote him, he's not banned, and his early posts were actually interesting (before he started posting here and focused on bashing Glasto and basically everyone that disagreed while exaggerating his own points).
Should have been made a mod.

frostbite

- Economic destruction
- Diplomatic isolation

Another one is that Ukraine is now an eternal enemy of Russia. It wasn't like that before 2014.