Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedDevilQuebecois

Mark Hertling's input on the recent events in Nova Khakova. The second tweet in that thread is important.

If the Russians were hoping to slow down the UAF by blowing up the dam, they also cut the water supply of their own people in Crimea. It is peak stupidity and it reeks desperation.

edit: In the comments down Lt. Gen. Hertling's thread, someone directly compared that with the deliberate destruction of the Yellow River dam during WW2.

Rajma

The western world owes Ukraine a membership in NATO upon the end of the war and it should be announced during the upcoming NATO summit in Vilnius. Loud and clear. This should not be allowed to be repeated ever again.

Rajma

Russia has already began shelling the evacuation points on the right bank with the help of drones in places where people are gathering. Every heckin russist will pay for it one way or another.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

Here's an article about what might happen if the dam is blown. Looking at the maps, the East bank (southern at this point) is much lower lying than the West bank so the Russians will bear the brunt of the damage. It seems that Kherson will only have minor flooding in a few areas, while the Russian-occupied side will be inundated. The major issue could be the nuclear plant losing the water that cools it, which I guess could force the Russians to abandon it to let Ukraine deal with it.

https://cornucopia.se/2022/10/worst-case-modelling-for-nova-kakhovka-dam-break/

I'm also curious how they could've done this since it would take quite the hit to blow the dam.
Every Soviet style dam is constructed with secret critical spots to place explosives in that allow the quick collapse of the structure , for usage in war.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Interesting, got a source for that?
It's not only there, the same applies to a lot of infrastructure in West Germany that was build during the Cold War. It's a common strategic planning that you want to be able to easily destroy roads the enemy could use.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Until I think 2014 switzerland had explosives in all bridges at borders and some other objects. So i would assume that a lot of countries do something similar.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
at which point do western nations take the step of branding Russia a terrorist state?

Simbo

at which point do western nations take the step of branding Russia a terrorist state?
EU has already declared them a 'state sponsor' of terrorism, not sure if that's the same thing.

Mike Smalling

Should go fully gloves off at this point. Suspend any remaining business with Russia. Deport all Russian nationals. Freeze/claim all Russian assets in EU countries incl. real estate.

Revan

Assumptionman
Should go fully gloves off at this point. Suspend any remaining business with Russia. Deport all Russian nationals. Freeze/claim all Russian assets in EU countries incl. real estate.
What does deporting the Russian nationals (many of then tend to be highly educated and despise Putin) achieve?

rpitchfo

What does deporting the Russian nationals (many of then tend to be highly educated and despise Putin) achieve?
Revolution,

Non-action is tacit approval.

It’s not enough to grumble on the sidelines. Power is cyclic, only when the momentum turns the other way will this end.

Go do something about Russian nationals.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Revolution,

It’s not enough to grumble on the sidelines. Power is cyclic, only when the momentum turns the other way will this end.

Yeah lets send people who want to get away from a bad situation back into it.

tomaldinho1

This was something much publicised earlier in the war, that the Ukrainian's feared Russia would blow the dam, so I assume they would have planned for this scenario.

Revan

Assumptionman
Revolution,

I completely disagree with this take.

Until I think 2014 switzerland had explosives in all bridges at borders and some other objects. So i would assume that a lot of countries do something similar.
Yes. The Alpine tunnels are designed to be destroyed too. Can't have anybody stealing all the money :D

Quite a few countries have similar I think. Finland already mentioned, and Singapore has its highway runways.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Yes. The Alpine tunnels are designed to be destroyed too. Can't have anybody stealing all the money :D

Quite a few countries have similar I think. Finland already mentioned, and Singapore has its highway runways.
Here in the UK we just have The Tories and our local councils to ensure our roads are unusable.

Oh a serious note, the videos of people being attacked whilst trying to evacuate the flooded regions are disgusting and some of the most upsetting videos I have seen. So fecking needless.

The Firestarter

How is a highway that doubles as a tarmac same as a easily destructible infrastructure? Or you meant something else.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
This was something much publicised earlier in the war, that the Ukrainian's feared Russia would blow the dam, so I assume they would have planned for this scenario.
I fairly sure Ukraine flooded some areas north of Kiev in the first days of the war. Not sure if they specifically blew a dam, but they’ll surely have been aware of it as a defensive tactic if they’ve done similar themselves.

the hea

There are several 100 meters of the dam completly missing. I'm no sapper but to me nothing except a massive amount of planted explosives could cause this amount of damage.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I fairly sure Ukraine flooded some areas north of Kiev in the first days of the war. Not sure if they specifically blew a dam, but they’ll surely have been aware of it as a defensive tactic if they’ve done similar themselves.
Yes of course, every military in the world will be aware of it as a strategic option. I mean specifically with regards to this dam being blown. This is all from last year:
Ukraine war: What is a 'dirty bomb' and is Russia planning to blow up the Nova Kakhovka dam? | World News | Sky News
Factbox: Is the Kakhovka dam in Ukraine about to be blown? | Reuters
Worst case modelling for Nova Kakhovka dam break (UPDATED) – Cornucopia?
Fears Putin could unleash 'water apocalypse' on liberated Kherson after chunks of key... - LBC

There was loads (I just googled nova kakhovka from last year and there were countless pieces on it) of articles specifically going through this exact scenario. Ukraine is hardly going to think Russia care about human rights violations or war crimes etc. so they must have known they would likely do this this as it seems a pretty fool proof way to stop any advances there.

How is a highway that doubles as a tarmac same as a easily destructible infrastructure? Or you meant something else.
More that lots of countries have last stand measures in place. Switzerland also has the highway runways, and they used to have about 1,000 bridges and tunnels permanently rigged with explosives. They took the explosives away a few years ago but they could be put back if needed.

The Firestarter

More that lots of countries have last stand measures in place. Switzerland also has the highway runways, and they used to have about 1,000 bridges and tunnels permanently rigged with explosives. They took the explosives away a few years ago but they could be put back if needed.
Sweden has designed all jets rugged enough to take off from roads too.