Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Plus, NATO members have now essentially been planning for 2 years and watching/assessing Russia in everything it does, the big problems in supply chains are being addressed, there is more joint training, more money pouring into defence across Europe.
Are they really? If yes, why could Europe only deliver 30% of the pledged ammunition? Why is the frigate "Hessen" that been sent to the red sea to secure water ways from Houthi terrorist attacks already short on ammunition and there are no replacements available. Thus the shop has to return once and is no further use.

I can only speak for Germany. The desolate condition the Bundeswehr is in, has been known since 2018/19.
5 years have passed, nothing has changed.
I'm also wondering were the billions and billions of Euro will come from to buy the necessary weapon systems and ammunition. Even if the money is made available with another "Sondervermögen", (translate to debt) Germany doesn't even have infrastructure and facilities to produce so many weapons and ammunition.

German politicians and the overwhelming majority of it's population (including myself) thought a strong army is a thing of the past, not needed anything and tax money would be spend better on other projects. The few who warned about Putin and Russian aggression were dismissed as war mongers.

Chumpsbechumps

Are they really? If yes, why could Europe only deliver 30% of the pledged ammunition? Why is the frigate "Hessen" that been sent to the red sea to secure water ways from Houthi terrorist attacks already short on ammunition and there are no replacements available. Thus the shop has to return once and is no further use.

I can only speak for Germany. The desolate condition the Bundeswehr is in, has been known since 2018/19.
I'm also wondering were the billions and billions of Euro will come from to buy the necessary weapon systems and ammunition. Even if the money is made available with another "Sondervermögen", (translate to debt) Germany doesn't even have infrastructure and facilities to produce so many weapons and ammunition.

German politicians and the overwhelming majority of it's population (including myself) thought a strong army is a thing of the past, not needed anything and tax money would be spend better on other projects. The few who warned about Putin and Russian aggression were dismissed as war mongers.
What is the sense in Germany now regarding Putin and how much should be put into defence ?

It really does feel like the dysfunctional structure of the EU/West/ NATO (with USA as divided as it is) makes it pretty much a handy enough road for Putins war economy to churn out wins quicker as he goes along.

Possibly a false equivalence argument because we don’t know how this is going to play out but it really does look like in a few years it will be like Hitler strolling around Europe picking off country’s as we hope “maybe he will stop there”.

I guess , given the political landscape of Europe (and democracy’s), I worry that no lessons have been learned and like throughout human history, we will walk into the same mistakes. There’s no strong voices from WW2 to offer sobering reminders that you can’t let these sort of characters do what they do without hitting them hard.

Ukraine was a potentially easy win for the west , to put him and Russia back in its box by throwing money and weapons at them.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Being German I'm indeed no expert of American foreign policies. I read Perkins the economic hitman, so I know some of the strategies applied. These were mostly secretive US operations, thus little is known about them in Europe. Germany mostly stayed on sidelines, just giving money (e.g. Iraq war).
I don't defend these ruthless operations to gain control over foreign countries by installing or supporting corrupt and criminal governments or leaders. The US is still paying the price for their wrong policies today. I'm with you so far.

It's fair to compare US wars in Iraq, Afghanistan with Russian operations in Syria or Afghanistan.
Still what's going on in Ukraine is on a different level. Of course you are free to disagree.
If you are German too, I suppose you are in line with Sarah Wagenknecht who always argues the US did the same in Iraq. She is partly right. Both wars were wrong and against international law. Still I see a huge difference. The US never wanted to conquer Iraq and extinguish the country. They never fought a war against the civilian population purposely killing tenthousands. They never committed or encouraged war crimes Russia is doing in a daily base in Ukraine.

You are wrong here. I left Germany and Europe back in 1998 living in Thailand and now the Philippines. Thus, I'm as far away as possible.

Again you are wrong. Living only a stone throw from Clark airbase I might be affected very soon when China thinks they grab Taiwan, if the West isn't committed to prevent Russia from extinguishing the Ukraine.

Isn't such distortion of facts the sign of a madmen? I'm honestly worried when Trump is elected, as he is pretty similar to Putin in twisting facts and spout his own distorted version of events.
Mate, I'm really riled up at the moment (not directed at you).

I'll reply when I get a clear head and am able to engage a discussion in a more civil manner than before.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

My point was all the issues we (by we I mean all the European countries who seem to have been caught cold by this) are now rectifying at least some of the issues.

The ammo issue is the main one NATO need to address through standardisation, someone else was posting about this a while back, when you look at all the different gear needed by the different NATO armies, it's ridiculous. That part needs urgent uniformity. That said France and Germany rank in the top 5 arms exporters, obviously the US is No1, so you have 3 of the top 5 globally in NATO.

Rajma

I genuinely can’t believe what this clown is spouting after 2 years of Russian brutality, it’s really making me uneasy knowing we have chosen Germany as our strategic defense partner within NATO if this is a prevailing opinion across the political establishment.

Last edited:

frostbite

For years, Germany were paying almost nothing for defense. Actually, they were making money because they were exporting arms. Germany had tremendous budget surpluses, but they did not use them for defense. For defense, Germany could rely on USA and Poland. It is simple, isn't it?

At the same time, the corrupt and bankrupt Greece was spending over 2% of their budget for defense (buying from Germany among else) because there was always the real danger that Turkey will do to Greece what Russia did to Ukraine. Greece has 10 million people, Turkey has 80 million people. And of course NATO will not be involved, since both Turkey and Greece are NATO members. Greece asked many times from Germany for support in this, but Germany has a lot of factories in Turkey and a lot of Turkish voters live in Germany, so Germany never committed to anything. Greece had to spend on defense, there was no other solution.

I can accept all that, it is politics, Germany is trying to make money and they don't care about anyone else. That's normal. That's what everyone who has read history expects from Germany.

But I am still very upset that Germany has been able to sell this behavior to other Europeans as the "HIGH MORALS" stance. The country who has been the worst European country in the past 100 years, who killed more Europeans than anyone else, who absorbed East Germany (one of the worst communist countries) and Stasi and their agents, somehow sold to the other Europeans that now they are the epitome of HIGH MORALS! Well, no, they are not. Unfortunately, a lot of them are the same selfish bastards they have always been. If Trump is elected in the USA, it will be the end of Ukraine, Germany will not lift a finger to help them. And I am really worried that this will give the green light to Turkey against Greece.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
For years, Germany were paying almost nothing for defense.
I think Germany paid between 1,2 and 1,4% of the GDP. Pretty much in line with many other West European allies.
You are right it was way below the pledged 2%. Still.I wouldn't call it almost nothing. It used to be between 40 and 45 billion Euros.

Germany had tremendous budget surpluses, but they did not use them for defense. For defense, Germany could rely on USA and Poland. It is simple, isn't it?
I wouldn't know about that. Germany has a debt break that regulates government spending but I can't remember about tremendous surpluses.
Germany relying on Poland? How this? Or you mean just taking Poland as buffer between us and Russia? The same did the whole West during the cold war except then Germany has been the buffer.

At the same time, the corrupt and bankrupt Greece was spending over 2% of their budget for defense (buying from Germany among else) because there was always the real danger that Turkey will do to Greece what Russia did to Ukraine.
Are you Greek? Don't know what you expect Germany to do. The Greek Turkey tensions exists for for many decades and it's a shame that 2 NATO allies can't resolve their issues. On the other hand it shows how difficult it is to burry long lasting animosities.

I can accept all that, it is politics, Germany is trying to make money and they don't care about anyone else. That's normal. That's what everyone who has read history expects from Germany.
Germany had pretty strict rules about weapon exports and it's not an huge industry. That shows now when it becomes more and more clear it will take many years to ramp up the capabilities to produce enough weapons and especially ammunition.

But I am still very upset that Germany has been able to sell this behavior to other Europeans as the "HIGH MORALS" stance.
You have a point here. I agree that Germany used this argument several times to avoid to take a bigger part in conflicts.
However, since February 24th this is a stance of the past.

If Trump is elected in the USA, it will be the end of Ukraine, Germany will not lift a finger to help them. A
We will see. Germany alone can't support the Ukraine. We are three second highest donor of weapons and funds after the US by a distance. Could it be more? Surely. Unfortunately, Scholz is a procrastinator.

Real Name

Are you Greek? Don't know what you expect Germany to do. The Greek Turkey tensions exists for for many decades and it's a shame that 2 NATO allies can't resolve their issues. On the other hand it shows how difficult it is to burry long lasting animosities.
I see you're not familiar with his work.

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh my God, WHAT?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tucker is already quite one of the biggest sacks of shit on Earth, but Putin must be quite something of an extremely bad used car salesman if he can't fool the guy.

Simbo

Oh my God, WHAT?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tucker is already quite one of the biggest sacks of shit on Earth, but Putin must be quite something of an extremely bad used car salesman if he can't fool the guy.
For Tucker, he's just trying to get himself back on the map, and its working. Its not like Putin cared about convincing him of anything, that interview was just fuel for certain audiences. These people don't say what they really think.

Still funny Tucker coming out with that though.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
For Tucker, he's just trying to get himself back on the map, and its working. Its not like Putin cared about convincing him of anything, that interview was just fuel for certain audiences. These people don't say what they really think.

Would be really funny if it should emerge that that Interview convinced him that Putin indeed is wrong about what he is doing and changes his views on the conflict. Far too early to call that, but it would be an interesting development.

Simbo

Would be really funny if it should emerge that that Interview convinced him that Putin indeed is wrong about what he is doing and changes his views on the conflict. Far too early to call that, but it would be an interesting development.
Or they paid him in roubles...

Or the sexy FSB lady they tried setting him up with made fun of his pp.

Last edited:

Real Name

He just realized he was Putin's useful idiot.

jackal&hyde

The Israel thing is huge. There are enormous numbers of weapons that can now go to Ukraine (just as an example, Romania alone has thousands of advanced anti tank missiles that could not be donated because they are made in Israel and did not have the go ahead). That plus the Israel military industry can receive orders to make systems. One of the biggest issues for Europe is not about money but production capacity, adding the Israel military complex to the production chain is superb news.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

I think they told him that he was flying to close to the sun of treason and he decided to push himself apart. The deed had been done and he had the benefit of it. Now he can push any other narrative that he wants

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
No I don't. No idea who @frostbite is in real life.
He voices in a very extreme way what a lot of people in southern europe think. That southern european countries were massacred by unnecessary austerity to save big financial institutions, many of them german. A lot of the poverty created at the time persists to this day and most economists now recognize those austerity measures as a gigantic mistake. Those in greece, portugal and spain saying this at the time were called radicals.

Something I realize when talking to germans or dutch is that they are generally completely unaware of how disastrous the policies their governments imposed on others were and so they fail to understand this grievance.

Sorry for the off topic.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He voices in a very extreme way what a lot of people in southern europe think. That southern european countries were massacred by unnecessary austerity to save big financial institutions, many of them german. A lot of the poverty created at the time persists to this day and most economists now recognize those austerity measures as a gigantic mistake. Those in greece, portugal and spain saying this at the time were called radicals.

Something I realize when talking to germans or dutch is that they are generally completely unaware of how disastrous the policies their governments imposed on others were and so they fail to understand this grievance.

Sorry for the off topic.
They really are clueless for the most part. Many people here actually believe we saved Greece, Spain etc.
But it's obviously a stupid reason for hostility towards a person who hasn't implicated to condone these policies.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
They really are clueless for the most part. Many people here actually believe we saved Greece, Spain etc.
But it's obviously a stupid reason for hostility towards a person who hasn't implicated to condone these policies.
Sure, I agree.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich

Sorry for the off topic.
Ok I got your point. However, in his reply @frostbite never mentioned this but rather accused Germany of not spending enough for the military but making fortunes in selling weapons to other nations.

To solely blame Germany or other Northern European States is as wrong as putting all the blame to the southern, Mediterranean countries. The Euro was meant to unify Europe but die to it's many flaws achieved the opposite by causing mistrust and animosities between the different countries. A common currency like the Euro can only work after all participating countries are politically or at least fiscally unified. A single currency but 20 different fiscal policies is asking for disasters.

Anyway the topic you mentioned is definitely off topic and so complex that it would need it's own threat.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Ok I got your point. However, in his reply @frostbite never mentioned this but rather accused Germany of not spending enough for the military but making fortunes in selling weapons to other nations.

To solely blame Germany or other Northern European States is as wrong as putting all the blame to the southern, Mediterranean countries. The Euro was meant to unify Europe but die to it's many flaws achieved the opposite by causing mistrust and animosities between the different countries. A common currency like the Euro can only work after all participating countries are politically or at least fiscally unified. A single currency but 20 different fiscal policies is asking for disasters.

Anyway the topic you mentioned is definitely off topic and so complex that it would need it's own threat.
For sure, I was just mentioning the origin story of his beef with germany.

frostbite

Look, Germany has done the worst crimes in Europe, ever. Not USA, not France, not UK, it was Germany who did the killing in Europe. To redeem itself, doing nothing, or doing very little, or doing whatever everyone else is doing, doesn't cut it. To redeem itself, Germany should do something huge, something really positive, like solving a huge problem someone else has, like really help Ukraine win against Russia. Germany is the biggest economy in Europe, Germany alone should help Ukraine win, without USA, without UK, without France, without Poland. Germany is the leader of Europe today, they should feel responsible and try to solve the problem. Alone if need to be. It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, they don't have the same responsibilities, they don't have the same HISTORY behind them. Germany is not in the same position as anyone else.

Merkel was the leader of Germany for 16 years, she refused to accept Ukraine in NATO and EU, she called Ukraine corrupt. Russia is more corrupt than Ukraine but Merkel did not go around calling Putin's Russia corrupt, she had no problem doing business with Putin, while Putin was killing the opposition. This should be an extra motivation for Germany to go out of their way and SOLVE the Ukraine problem. But for me, the WW2 massacres should be enough motivation for Germans to solve a European problem. Alone. Like really solve it. Not just wait and see what someone else will do.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Look, Germany has done the worst crimes in Europe, ever. Not USA, not France, not UK, it was Germany who did the killing in Europe. To redeem itself, doing nothing, or doing very little, or doing whatever everyone else is doing, doesn't cut it. To redeem itself, Germany should do something huge, something really positive, like solving a huge problem someone else has, like really help Ukraine win against Russia. Germany is the biggest economy in Europe, Germany alone should help Ukraine win, without USA, without UK, without France, without Poland. Germany is the leader of Europe today, they should feel responsible and try to solve the problem. Alone if need to be. It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, they don't have the same responsibilities, they don't have the same HISTORY behind them. Germany is not in the same position as anyone else.

Merkel was the leader of Germany for 16 years, she refused to accept Ukraine in NATO and EU, she called Ukraine corrupt. Russia is more corrupt than Ukraine but Merkel did not go around calling Putin's Russia corrupt, she had no problem doing business with Putin, while Putin was killing the opposition. This should be an extra motivation for Germany to go out of their way and SOLVE the Ukraine problem. But for me, the WW2 massacres should be enough motivation for Germans to solve a European problem. Alone. Like really solve it. Not just wait and see what someone else will do.
This is a great way to alienate Germans. This kind of rhetoric doesn't help anyone (in my opinion anyway).

frostbite

I really cannot understand Germans. You see Putin invading Ukraine for no other good reason than Russia being much stronger than Ukraine. Doesn't it remind you of Hitler invading Poland? It is exactly the same situation!

Doesn't anyone in Germany think: " We did the same shit in 1939. Now we are going to solve this shit in 2024. Like the Americans got rid of Hitler in WW2, we'll get rid of Putin. We have the responsibility to be on the right side of history for once. We are the richest and the strongest country in Europe, this war is happening in Europe, we are going to solve it. It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, we have the responsibility to do the right thing, because we have done the same shit ourselves in the past. It's time to redeem ourselves. "

frostbite

This is a great way to alienate Germans. This kind of rhetoric doesn't help anyone (in my opinion anyway).
I am just an anonymous guy on the internet. The Germans will not change anything because I wrote something. They should think about these issues and do the right thing on their own. It doesn't matter what I or you or anyone else is posting on redcafe.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Look, Germany has done the worst crimes in Europe, ever. Not USA, not France, not UK, it was Germany who did the killing in Europe. To redeem itself, doing nothing, or doing very little, or doing whatever everyone else is doing, doesn't cut it.
I think all European powers have to care their share of crimes. You can't only take WW2 and forget about the atrocities committed in the colonies. Belgien alone killed over 10 million in Kongo.....

To redeem itself, Germany should do something huge, something really positive, like solving a huge problem someone else has, like really help Ukraine win against Russia. Germany is the biggest economy in Europe, Germany alone should help Ukraine win, without USA, without UK, without France, without Poland. Germany is the leader of Europe today, they should feel responsible and try to solve the problem.
You can't be serious. Germany doesn't have any nuclear weapons. The Bundeswehr has been run down for 30 years. It can't even be called an army. Ammunition doesn't last for a day.
All federal governments since 1990 thought there is no more thread in Europe after the fall of the iron curtain. Thus a strong military isn't needed anymore. Throwing just money on the Russian soldiers won't kill any of them. If it were that easy, I'm sure the West would have done it already.
By the way Germany is already the second highest donor after the US by a distance but I'm sure you know that.

Merkel was the leader of Germany for 16 years, she refused to accept Ukraine in NATO and EU, she called Ukraine corrupt.
Merkel wasn't alone, it was Merkel and Sarkozy who were against Ukraine joining NATO. I'm with you that this was an huge mistake in hindsight.

To become a member of the EU, countries have to fulfill certain conditions and the Ukraine didn't say the time.

Merkel did not go around calling Putin's Russia corrupt, she had no problem doing business with Putin, while Putin was killing the opposition. This should be an extra motivation for Germany to go out of their way and SOLVE the Ukraine problem.
I agree the "change through trade" policy was an immense failure (in hindsight) but Germany paid dearly for this political mistake. Our economy is in tatters and many industries aren't competitive anymore due to 4 to 5 times higher energy costs than the competition in the US or China. Deindustrialization is happening.

The whole West isn't able to solve the Ukraine problem and you suggest Germany is doing it now alone? Would love to hear your ideas how Germany could achieve it.

The big problem is that the whole sanction package doesn't work, if 2/3 of the world doesn't partake. The harsh reality is that the West stands pretty alone.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

You really don't like Germans do you!

Are historical acts only relevant if it was the 20th or 21st century because some of the countries you named are responsible for lots killing in Europe and elsewhere

Do you seriously think that Germany alone could resolve this, if you really think that then IMO you are beyond naive.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
We did the same shit in 1939. Now we are going to solve this shit in 2024. Like the Americans got rid of Hitler in WW2, we'll get rid of Putin
Because Germany is no position to do so.
Give us the army of 1939 and take the nukes away from Russia and you might have a point.
But just demanding Germany to go to war with Russia is just naive and suicidal.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

What a bunch of crap.

Spain plundered Latinamerica, phillipines and others for centuries. Britain did the same, so Belgium, netherlands and france, so Rome and many other regions and countries. They had its own share of raping, mass killing and stealing.

Greece? one of the WORSE in history.

Having new generations of germans that have nothing to do with WWII accountable of its history is beyond stupid.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What a bunch of crap.

Spain plundered Latinamerica, phillipines and others for centuries. Britain did the same, so Belgium, netherlands and france, so Rome and many other regions and countries. They had its own share of raping, mass killing and stealing.

Greece? one of the WORSE in history.

Having new generations of germans that have nothing to do with WWII accountable of its history is beyond stupid.
I'm offended you left portugal out. We came up with the atlantic slave trade, we deserve some credit.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I suspect the people of Goa a nd Brazil amonst others might disagree
Don't worry. I am sure that brazilians spoke extensively with their colleagues from Argentina, Chile, paraguai, Peru, Bolivia, colombia, ecuador, venezuela, panama, costa rica, nicaragua, honduras, el salvador, guatemala mexico, cuba, dominican republic and others. Goa...maybe with phillipines.

The Spain-lite is just a joke due to size. Portugal fecked up a lot of regions. Including mozambique, Angola and a few more in africa. And for the size of the country did a lot of harm, like belgium and netherlands.

The joke is that portugal shares the iberian peninsule with spain, and culturaly speaking we are decently. But they are smaller in size and they colonized less than Spain

And now that I explain the joke, is not funny anymore. but as you said, was never funny for the colonies

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Don't worry. I am sure that brazilians spoke extensively with their colleagues from Argentina, Chile, paraguai, Peru, Bolivia, colombia, ecuador, venezuela, panama, costa rica, nicaragua, honduras, el salvador, guatemala mexico, cuba, dominican republic and others. Goa...maybe with phillipines.

The Spain-lite is just a joke due to size. Portugal fecked up a lot of regions. Including mozambique, Angola and a few more in africa. And for the size of the country did a lot of harm, like belgium and netherlands.

The joke is that portugal shares the iberian peninsule with spain, and culturaly speaking we are decently. But they are smaller in size and they colonized less than Spain

And now that I explain the joke, is not funny anymore. but as you said, was never funny for the colonies
Yeah I know, I'm a Brit so every one is 'lite' compared to us!