Russia's at it again

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The difference is the UK govt is subject to the rule of law and the Russian one is not. Ultimately it is the rule of law I trust, rather than the governments word. And occam’s razor too. So yeah, I will accept that the Skripals behaviour since the assssination attempt is motivated by fear of the Russian govt. Because fecking duh.
Rule of law, my ass. I can't believe how arrogant you Brits are. Sometimes it's helpful to pull your head out of your own ass.

Fener1907

The British are some of the sneakiest feckers you can find.

I've been watching some old Vice documentaries of when Simon Ostrovsky covered Russia's invasion of the Ukraine. It's fascinating to watch it all as it happened. They're from four years ago, but I'd recommend it to anybody who has time to kill and also a passing interest in the conflict. The same guy also did another interesting one where he proved the presence of Russian soldiers by recreating photos that one soldier took up to and during his involvement.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I've been watching some old Vice documentaries of when Simon Ostrovsky covered Russia's invasion of the Ukraine. It's fascinating to watch it all as it happened. They're from four years ago, but I'd recommend it to anybody who has time to kill and also a passing interest in the conflict. The same guy also did another interesting one where he proved the presence of Russian soldiers by recreating photos that one soldier took up to and during his involvement.
Ostrovsky's work on Vice is legendary.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

?

nickm

Rule of law, my ass. I can't believe how arrogant you Brits are. Sometimes it's helpful to pull your head out of your own ass.
I am not saying we are perfect. Or even that great. But we aren’t a gangster state, like Russia. That’s not arrogance, that’s just simple truth.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I am not saying we are perfect. Or even that great. But we aren’t a gangster state, like Russia. That’s not arrogance, that’s just simple truth.
He seems to be having difficulty with distinguishing between ordinary rule of law democracies and the mafia state where organized crime, kleptocracy, and propaganda are all used as extensions of state power to protect a **** of personality leader.

nickm

Pink faces, terrible at speaking their own language, crap at all the sports they invented, north-west of mainland Europe. Those ones.
Multicultural, diverse, briiiiant at writing their own language, world class athletes.... inventors of the modern world. Those ones. ;) (Just don’t say anything about Brexit, sigh).

Last edited:

Fener1907

Multicultural, diverse, briiiiant at writing their own language, world class athletes.... inventors of the modern world. Those ones. ;) (Just don’t say anything about Brexit, sigh).
I promise myself every other day that I won't, only to later realise I'm shit at keeping promises when I start moaning once again about whatever it is that the government has screwed up that time.

nickm

He seems to be having difficulty with distinguishing between ordinary rule of law democracies and the mafia state where organized crime, kleptocracy, and propaganda are all used as extensions of state power to protect a **** of personality leader.
Maybe one day we will see him actually call out his own cesspool of a govt, if he has the fecking nerve.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
If those rule of law democracies actually had something to do with a rule of law, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell and Tony Blair would have been tried and sent away to prison long time ago, like any war criminals should.

Get your own houses in order before you start telling others what constitutes a gangster state.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
When I was in Russia last year I bought a T-shirt depicting a shirtless Putin riding a Grizzly Bear.

That's all you need to know about Russia innit.

nickm

If those rule of law democracies actually had something to do with a rule of law, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell and Tony Blair would have been tried and sent away to prison long time ago, like any war criminals should.

Get your own houses in order before you start telling others what constitutes a gangster state.
Well you know Iraq was nearly a generation ago and a lot has changed in the UK since then. Feck all has changed in Russia as far as I can tell

What I love about this is the very same Putin who is on record claiming the Iraq war was illegal under international law, is the same Putin who invaded Georgia and Ukraine several years later, and lied about it.

Back to gangsterism. When we use that term we refer to the systematic murder and intimidation of political opponents and the looting of the state and its enterprises. But you know that, of course. Admitting it however doesn’t suit your cynical argument. Politics and political systems are different in the UK and Russia, although it might suit you to pretend otherwise.

I can see why Russia wants to level everyone down to their level, because it makes it easiesr for them to get away with egregious shite like shooting down passenger airliners and lying about it, while shouting Whatabout... but we in the democratic West mustn’t accept that. If this is ultimately about whether our democratic system is better (albeit improveable) than Russia’s, and is worth believing in, and preserving, then bring it on.

What really compromises the Uk is all the corrupt, and corrupting, Russian money in London. I’d like to see us start to address that, for sure.

Last edited:

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The 'democratic West' is directly responsible for the current mess in the Middle East that already cost hundreds of thousands of lives, turned millions of people into refugees and led to the rise of ISIS. Even if you blame literally everything that happened in Ukraine and Georgia on Kremlin, it's still next to nothing compared to just Iraq war alone. So if that makes Russia a gangster state, what does that make your countries?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The 'democratic West' is directly responsible for the current mess in the Middle East that already cost hundreds of thousands of lives, turned millions of people into refugees and led to the rise of ISIS. Even if you blame literally everything that happened in Ukraine and Georgia on Kremlin, it's still next to nothing compared to just Iraq war alone. So if that makes Russia a gangster state, what does that make your countries?
Expect someone to comment "two wrongs don't make a right".

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Expect someone to comment "two wrongs don't make a right".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dear me, Russian traitors/Putin critics are not safe anywhere in the world.

At a wild guess I’d Russia looking culpable once again.
A clear strategy of assassinating expats to send a message to anyone who funs afoul of the regime.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

Dear me, Russian traitors/Putin critics are not safe anywhere in the world.

At a wild guess I’d Russia looking culpable once again.
This is the same as during the Cold War. Bulgarian dissident Georgy Markov was murdered in London with a ricine pellet shot from an umbrella.

The difference is it was meant to be biodegradable and never found.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
There'll be more of that as the World Cup approaching with anti-Russian hysteria reaching new levels, same with the situation in the warzone at Donbass. Assasination of journalists is quite common in Ukraine, by the way, and that includes those that are pro Russian or anti Russian. @Raoul understandably picks out the ones that fit his anti-Russian agenda. Not that he knows much about the subject of Ukraine past that.

Here's Oles Buzina
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/u...s-buzina-shot-dead-kiev-masked-gunmen-n342661
whose killers are known but are set free, well, because they're 'patriots'.
or Pavel Sheremet
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...murder-who-killed-journalist-in-kiev-car-bomb
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ting-car-bombkilled-journalist-pavel-sheremet

Every time something like that happens, ten minutes later the current Ukraininan regime announces it was done by Russians. Then they promise to investigate the murders. And then nothing happens. A few weeks later most people forget all about it except that it was Russians that were at fault. So if you want to kill some journalist or activist in Ukraine, you can pretty much do it with impunity, because they'll just blame Putin and move on.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don’t read that at all from @Raoul’s post, he was documenting that an anti-Putin journalist was killed in a suspicious manner. You are trying to obfuscate the discussion with an obvious red herring by trying to bring up specific deaths in Ukraine.

It’s obvious that the ‘Gangsta state’ is Russia, both as a physical entity and state of mind / being.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Don’t read that at all from @Raoul’s post, he was documenting that an anti-Putin journalist was killed in a suspicious manner. You are trying to obfuscate the discussion with an obvious red herring by trying to bring up specific deaths in Ukraine.

It’s obvious that the ‘Gangsta state’ is Russia, both as a physical entity and state of mind / being.
I've been reading Raoul's posts regarding Russia for years. I'm yet to see one with anything positive to say about the country/people.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not saying he has a bent against Russia, he certainly might. I’m discussing a poor attempt on your part to try to deflect the potential and probable reason that a journalist was killed.

For as blindly anti-Russia you are painting Raoul to be, you certainly fall in the exact opposite position by rarely, if ever, admit to wrongs perpetrated by Russia. It’s as embarrassing as listening to a hardcore Trump supporter in this country.

nickm

Yes, the West was responsible for those actions. I didn't support the invasion myself, I didn't think the evidence was solid, but I do accept there was a moral argument for removing Saddam that I can understand, although I didn't agree it was sufficient. However, almost nobody defends these actions in the West now especially in light of the aftermath and US incompetence there, and those leaders are largely politically ruined, plus Iraq wasn't annexed by the US. Syria proved the was no appetite in the UK for any more of this kind of adventuring (although I would personally have supported a limited intervention to protect civilians in that case).

However, Iraq is history now and whatever happened there isn't a reason for you to defend Russia's criminality in various places. If what the West did was wrong, then what Russia did in Georgia and Ukraine was wrong. Will you condemn your country's illegal actions or not?

The Firestarter

The Iraq war was terrible, however people have the freedom to criticize it openly, and the ones responsible now have to constantly explain their decisions. While in Russia if you criticize the decisions of the government you get labeled unpatriotic, harassed ,have feces thrown at you, forced out of the country and eventually murdered. Yeah, very difficult to see what the difference is.