Russia's at it again

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whoever is running the GRU passport department may want to avoid starting their car in the near term.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't know if its an old tale or real but there was an incident where some EU agency tried to infiltrate Russian intelligence and they found out the passports were fake because they were stapled with high quality metal. So details matter in the spy game.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How on earth does that passport number story leak? Surely the intelligence agencies would have wanted to keep that top secret so they could track the agents.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Two Russians, against whom Swiss law enforcement officers have opened a criminal case, already worked in Holland. They were exposed during a joint operation by the British, Dutch, and Swiss special services in The Hague in March this year, shortly after the chemical attack in Salisbury. Counterintelligence agents do not cover the details of the operation; they do not disclose the identity of the Russian spies. Swiss and Dutch press informed that they worked in the Russian embassy in Holland, they were suspected of having links with the GRU, they have been seized with equipment by which they could penetrate the computer network of the chemical laboratory. Presumably, they were caught hot on their way to Spiez. For some reason, the Dutch authorities did not attract Russians to justice. In late March, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte announced the government's decision to expel the two Russian intelligence officers who worked in the Russian embassy in response to a chemical attack in Salisbury.
https://112.international/article/country-of-spies-the-swiss-twist-in-the-skripal-case-32500.html
Seems that the two Russian spies who were caught trying to break into the lab in Switzerland were employees in the Russian embassy in the Netherlands. They were deported (? diplomatic immunity) and presumably are now receiving a spying refresher course.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's interesting how sloppy Russian spies have become since the Cold War.
I think it’s a combination of:

1. Sheer volume. They’re throwing as much shit at a wall as they can and seeing what sticks. Because...
2. The consequences are laughable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it’s a combination of:

1. Sheer volume. They’re throwing as much shit at a wall as they can and seeing what sticks. Because...
2. The consequences are laughable.
Ultimately Putin understands that the only way he will survive will be to disrupt democracy elsewhere so that it never reaches his front door. If it does, he knows he will likely be overthrown and killed Qaddafi style.

The Firestarter

Ultimately Putin understands that the only way he will survive will be to disrupt democracy elsewhere so that it never reaches his front door. If it does, he knows he will likely be overthrown and killed Qaddafi style.
No, that won't happen . He is not terrorizing the common folk like Qaddafi did.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Didn’t think so but if you did...great!
Aye, to be clear I meant that the quality, caution and discretion that they once insisted on is long gone. They’re happy to use dispensable lower grader operatives now and in higher volume who are encouraged to take more risks because the rewards are high and the consequences are low.

The Firestarter

That doesn't matter. He has similar dictatorial qualities and will eventually go down in similar ways.
For that to happen , the economic conditions there need to deteriorate very rapidly. And that is just a necessary but not sufficient condition.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Aye, to be clear I meant that the quality, caution and discretion that they once insisted on is long gone. They’re happy to use dispensable lower grader operatives now and in higher volume who are encouraged to take more risks because the rewards are high and the consequences are low.
Ah thanks, I see...well it’s late and I’ve just watched United mess up another match so my mind’s not at it’s best.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Navalny let out of jail and arrested again.
I think it's important to note that he spent about 10 seconds as a free man before getting back again. Trumps even the infamous Gerrard cameo.

I don't even like the guy but you can't have nothing but respect for him for constantly risking his personal time, health, freedom and comfort for the things he believes in.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It’s been a bad couple of months for the Russian intelligence services, which does bring their professionalism in to question. I guess this is a consequence of what happens when you have the mob run a country; lack of discipline and professionalism. Which also makes you wonder about just how strong its military is in reality and how much they really support Putin’s government. I would be interested in reading more about the relationship between their government & military commanders. I imagine on the one hand the military will be supporting the government because of the increased investment in the military (to put this increased investment in to context it’s still tiny compared to what the US spends on its military), but they’ll also be more than wary of dealing with the devil; ironically from history the Russian military should know full well what the consequences can be of having a morally corrupt government...

You have to sympathize with the general Russian civilian population because it’s actually a fascinating & friendly (if slightly melancholic) country run by a bunch of gangsters.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I guess this is a consequence of what happens when you have the mob run a country; lack of discipline and professionalism
It's very true. Just like the Russian amateurism displayed when the Dutch intelligence services hacked 'Cozy Bear' a couple of years ago.

More concerning is the amount of damage they can do despite being properly organized and lacking professionalism though. This sums it up:

"The Americans were taken completely by surprise by the Russian aggression, says Chris Painter in Washington. For years, Painter was responsible for America's cyber policy. He resigned last August. 'We'd never expected that the Russians would do this, attacking our vital infrastructure and undermining our democracy.'"

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenscha...ssia-s-interference-in-us-elections~b4f8111b/

I mean, seriously?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It's very true. Just like the Russian amateurism displayed when the Dutch intelligence services hacked 'Cozy Bear' a couple of years ago.

More concerning is the amount of damage they can do despite being properly organized and lacking professionalism though. This sums it up:

"The Americans were taken completely by surprise by the Russian aggression, says Chris Painter in Washington. For years, Painter was responsible for America's cyber policy. He resigned last August. 'We'd never expected that the Russians would do this, attacking our vital infrastructure and undermining our democracy.'"

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenscha...ssia-s-interference-in-us-elections~b4f8111b/

I mean, seriously?
The more unprofessional they are, the more damage they can do.
I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility to expect a military coup in Russia in the not too distant future.