Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm lost. Are people saying RVP was a better striker than RVN? Cause if so they're wrong.

Both great players, but Ruud was the best striker in the world for a time. I'm not sure anyone has accused RVP of that?
One poster in particular is insinuating it without actually saying it in broad daylight.

PoTMS

RvP at his peak v RvN at his peak.
Who do you go for? I personally prefer RvP.

both great players. RVP was so injury prone though, he only really had two years where he was injury free at his peak and that was his last year at Arsenal and his first year at Utd - he was one of the top 2-3 strikers in the world over those two years.

RVN - proper morning 9, and you don’t get many of them anymore. The likes of him, Shearer, Kane and a godsend for any team.

RVN was one of my favourite players at Utd, so I’d give it to him, and he was better for us for a much longer period. RVP was a special player though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Peak RvP was at Arsenal. I'm guessing the comparisons here are while he was at United.

But to answer your question peak RvP (2011/12) v peak RvN (2002/03) would be a tough one but I would give it to Ruud.

There was a stretch during that year when Ruud was virtually unplayable.

lex talionis

Peak RvN > Peak RvP
Career RvN > Career RvP

Not really much of a debate about it for me.

James Peril

Fantastic players, goalscoring machines. Similar in everything, apperance, name, nation... again; goals. RVP much better technique and flair, RVN fantastic ability to pop up when in mattered. And he had a nasty trait as well, winding up players and opening space for other players since defenders wanted to take him out. RVP was just a gentleman. Can’t choose, glad both were here.

Josh 76

I'm lost. Are people saying RVP was a better striker than RVN? Cause if so they're wrong.

Both great players, but Ruud was the best striker in the world for a time. I'm not sure anyone has accused RVP of that?
What time was Ruud the best striker in the world? Honest question

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
They do, very rare but that's why I'm annoyed we missed out on Haaland.
Think we’ve got one of the best modern-type centre forwards coming through at the moment in Greenwood.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One poster in particular is insinuating it without actually saying it in broad daylight.
I was referring to your post about 02/03 Ruud vs 12/13 RVP. And my choice is RVP 12/13. Broad daylight enough when I said it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mate I give up! It's like arguing against a recorded message
Just because you can't accept a different poster's opinion doesn't mean it's like arguing against a recorded message.

thepolice123

He wasn't better than Ruud in 02/03. There may be a slight debate in 03/04.
Tbf it was extremely debatable even in 02/03, they were largely seen as equals from what I remember. The golden boot went down to the final game of the season but Henry had a record breaking 20 assists. Ruud had a far better European campaign though.

I think after that season Henry showed himself to be the overall superior player.

Web of Bissaka

Personally RVN, easy choice.

2001/2 to 2002/3 is his peak, he were an all-around superb complete package striker at those time, did dribbles and good pace too (not lightning but that's not important). Then eventually he turn into more of a poacher style/type of striker.

Nothing against RVP, but what irks me the most is perhaps in his 2012/13 peak form, he can miss the easy chances, wayward shootings. Fun all-around performances though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tbf it was extremely debatable even in 02/03, they were largely seen as equals from what I remember. The golden boot went down to the final game of the season but Henry had a record breaking 20 assists. Ruud had a far better European campaign though.

I think after that season Henry showed himself to be the overall superior player.
Henry was the better player. Ruud had the better season. Two incredible strikers though. Both better than RVP IMO who himself was terrific.

Josh 76

You could make a good case he was in 2002/03 - 44 goals in 52 appearances, and almost unplayable at times.
The names knocking about at that time;
Henry
Eto
Shevchenko (pre chelsea)
Trezugut
Ronaldo (brazil)
Rivaldo
Raul

El Jefe

As much as I debated it at the time, Henry was still better. Ruud had a better season but it's clear that Henry was the better player.

At the time
1. Ronaldo = Henry
2. RvN

thepolice123

Henry
Eto
Shevchenko (pre chelsea)
Trezugut
Ronaldo (brazil)
Rivaldo
Raul
Trezeguet's not in Ruud's league. Eto'o was still a young striker at Mallorca. Rivaldo was washed up at Milan. Ruud scored more and was better than Shevchenko and Raul that season. He was the third best forward according to FIFA ranking but I think Ronaldo got there purely on reputation basis and the hat-trick he scored against us. It was really between Henry and Ruud that season.

Josh 76

Trezeguet's not in Ruud's league. Eto'o was still a young striker at Mallorca. Rivaldo was washed up at Milan. Ruud scored more and was better than Shevchenko and Raul that season. He was the third best forward according to FIFA ranking but I think Ronaldo got there purely on reputation basis and the hat-trick he scored against us. It was really between Henry and Ruud that season.
RVP was arguably the best striker in the world at the time he was banging them in on his debut season. (Ronaldo and Messi were not strikers at that time).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Henry
Eto
Shevchenko (pre chelsea)
Trezugut
Ronaldo (brazil)
Rivaldo
Raul
Ruud was the best of the lot that year. Henry was better overall.

RVP was arguably the best striker in the world at the time he was banging them in on his debut season. (Ronaldo and Messi were not strikers at that time).
And still not as good as RVN was.

tjb

As much as I debated it at the time, Henry was still better. Ruud had a better season but it's clear that Henry was the better player.

At the time
1. Ronaldo = Henry
2. RvN
Here is a controversial one. I felt at the time that Ronaldo, even though still world class, was little overhyped after the world cup despite what he did to us at Old Trafford. Henry was the clear number one striker at the time and for me, even the best player. I feel he got robbed in both 2003 and 2004. Zidane should never have won the world player of the year in 2003 ( Nedved for Ballon D'or is debatable but it would still be Henry for me). I felt they gave it preemptively to Ronaldinho in 2004. His 2003-2004 season was great, but it was 2004-05 that he brought Barca back to prominence. Meanwhile Henry's Arsenal went unbeaten with him having another ridiculous campaign. Ronaldinho should have won the 2006 WPOY an Ballon D'or instead of Cannavaro. I honestly feel that if he had played for one of the traditionally bigger teams, he would have won both of those outright. He was the most popular player in the world at the time ( before Ronaldinho usurped him).

lsd

The Oracle
What time was Ruud the best striker in the world? Honest question

Puzzled by that myself . Top 3 possibly and even then I wouldn't say he was ever the best in the premiership at any point

MUFC07

Some of these arguments are really 'offside'. RVN was like having a constant penalty in the box. You knew you just had to get the ball to him in order to score, and so many times I saw defenders constantly marking him, giving him not as much as an inch, and still he just needed ONE good ball fed into him and he'd score, jeez, sometimes it didn't even have to be a good ball, he'd just smash. RVP on the other hand, was able to score from distance, much more capable of being part of the construction of the game and you could trust him to find a good pass to create danger. He could move all around the attack, he would go into the wings and serve deadly crosses, or he could cut in and shoot.

Different types of top class. I couldn't pick ONE of either, it'd have to be based on taste/what I'd like my team to do when attacking.

chomsky89

I think it's very hard to give a case for Ruud over henry in either of those seasons.
In both seasons they are very close on one important stat, but henry is superior in the other one.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would rather meet Ruud than henry in both seasons.
I would bee terrified of Ruud getting the ball in the box, but I would be terrified of henry anywhere in the final third.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it's very hard to give a case for Ruud over henry in either of those seasons.
In both seasons they are very close on one important stat, but henry is superior in the other one.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would rather meet Ruud than henry in both seasons.
I would bee terrified of Ruud getting the ball in the box, but I would be terrified of henry anywhere in the final third.
Henry never really scared me when we faced them. Ruud on the other hand, always gave me confidence that he would score if given half a chance in 2002/03.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It’s a shame Van Persie and Ruud in the national team didnt have the best timing. Ruud was being phased out of United as Van Persie debuted for the national team.

Can’t imagine how devastating a 2002 Ruud with a 2012 Van Persie would be.

chomsky89

Henry never really scared me when we faced them.
Henry made 11 goalpoints(goals or assist) in 14 premier league matches against us.
that's got to bee one of the best ratios against us ever, except for some players with smaller sample sizes, scoring 2 in one game and never facing us again or similar.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Henry made 11 goalpoints(goals or assist) in 14 premier league matches against us.
that's got to bee one of the best ratios against us ever, except for some players with smaller sample sizes, scoring 2 in one game and never facing us again or similar.
11 "goalpoints" against us in 8 years at Arsenal. That's some record.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've always rated Ruud as a better goalscorer than Henry, however, Henry had a better all round game, and was the better player.

MiceOnMeth

I've always rated Ruud as a better goalscorer than Henry, however, Henry had a better all round game, and was the better player.
I don't think thats up for debate, what people are saying is that Ruud in 02/03 was in the form of his life and had a good claim to best striker on the planet even ahead of Henry