g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ryan Giggs retires

starman

Bit weird to announce it now. Announce Van Gaal as manager, that bum everyone out hours later with Giggs retirement.

It would have bit a nice touch to have announce the signing of Shaw straight after, 18 year old left sided player.

stu_1992

I expected it to happen now, but I still will find it weird. He made his début the year before I was born! I've only ever known a United with Giggs, but I guess this isn't the end of him at this club. If he could replicate his playing achievements in a coaching/managing capacity we'd be looking at one one of the greatest footballing people of all time, but realistically he already is. One of THE legends of our club and football worldwide.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Can't believe this has only 200 posts... Club legend. Football legend. :(
Because people doesn't accept his retirement on a subconscious level, simple as that.

The spirit of Ryan Giggs... he's like Ferguson in that matter. Always tied to their team.

Mali_Zeus

Very sad news, what an absolute, living legend.

Last from the class of 92 has quit playing... End of an era truly. With him now retiring I feel like we'll see a completely different United from now on.

I feel honored I've watched him play and I feel strange seeing all this best players from my childhood and youth retiring. Well, I don't feel strange, I just feel old. :)

Luckily he'll be LVG's assistant so we'll see him in the dugout in a suit. :)

Last edited:

Ixion

Alongside Sir Bobby as the definitive legends of the club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Giggs retiring signifies the end of an era. He epitomised the long-lasting success that Man. Utd. were blessed with during his career. He'll be up there with Zanetti, Maldini, and co. as a successful, long-lasting player who gave his all for the one club he played for.

I'm not surprised that he's retiring from playing, but I do feel saddened. It was a privilege watching him play for all of those years. Now that he's gone, a new era is beginning at Man. Utd.

celia

Not that surprising even if I was hoping for one more year and a proper sending off.

Thank you Giggs.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Giggs was the last remaining constant at United in my living memory. I don't remember a United without him and for that reason, in some ways, this feels like even more of a loss than when SAF retired. Obviously his retirement won't have the same impact on the pitch that SAFs did, but it feels more significant in a soppy way as a fan.

I just hope this is only the beginning of a new chapter as a United legend.

bobbyf

Just like Scholes, what sets Giggsy apart as a legend is that he played at the very top his whole career. How many players can say that?

Amir

Do you think the No.11 jersey should be retired along with Giggs?
Nope. While I'm not that big on traditions and I'm very opened to changes, it's not the way we do things here. Someone will get a legendary shirt number and try to live up to it.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We knew it was coming but its still hard to take. Thank you for the service you've given this club Ryan, and all the success for the future. Absolute legend, will never be matched.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Nope. While I'm not that big on traditions and I'm very opened to changes, it's not the way we do things here. Someone will get a legendary shirt number and try to live up to it.
Actually our tradition is not to retire the shirt, but to progress and continue the legacy of the shirt. Giggs may have created the symbolic nature of the 11 but just like the no.7 shirt the 11 will not be retired but it's legacy be passed on to the next.

Amir

Actually our tradition is not to retire the shirt, but to progress and continue the legacy of the shirt. Giggs may have created the symbolic nature of the 11 but just like the no.7 shirt the 11 will not be retired but it's legacy be passed on to the next.
Exactly. What I meant was that I wouldn't mind changing traditions, but this particular one just doesn't need changing.

Kakeru

Even though we all knew this day would come, I can't help but shed a few tears thinking about the official news. He was so integral to the many great memories I have and will always cherish as a Manchester United fan.

Thanks for all the great memories, Giggsy.

Lovely stuff. Very well done. :)

elisha27

I wonder to what extent his longevity leads people to forget the player he once was. At his best (which I would consider the 90s), he was one of the best players in European football. He lacked consistency at times, and his hamstrings frequently saw him out injured, but when he played like he could, he was literally a wizard with the ball. If you could wish for one player to play at the top of their game back then, it wouldn't have been Cantona, Keane or Scholes, but Giggs. He could be mesmeric.

His performances against Juventus in 1997, Everton in 1994 (the day after Busby died), QPR in 1995, and Man City in 2009 are just some of the games I'll most remember him for.

Acole9

Outstanding
The word legend is misused often to describe footballers but this guy really is one. For a lot of fans and I include myself in his group he is all we've ever known so it is going to be weird not seeing as part of the first team anymore but I'm delighted that the club has decided to give the assistant manager role. Thanks for the memories Giggsy.

besty1

Thank you for everything, Sir. Ryan.

Bona fide footballing and sporting legend. The likes of his longevity will never be seen again.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Tonight at work has been nice. Had BBC News on all shift and every time I looked up there was a Giggs goal being shown.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Along with the many, many, many trophies the man has won, he also assisted the first goal in the 99 CL Final and scored the winning penalty in Moscow 2008... if I were OptaJoe, I'd finish this with something like #impact ... but I'm not OptaJoe..

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I still maintain he had something to offer us on the pitch. We're losing so much experience with Rio and Vidic leaving, I'm glad Giggs will still be around the setup.

Our most consistent midfielder this year?