Ryan Giggs retires

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Sad to wake up hearing I won't be seeing him play again. Such a huge reason I started supporting United, he was my frist memory of football 20+ years ago. However, it was time, all the best to him in his new role. So glad to see him stay with the club.

XdanielredX

It's official.

There are now no more remaining players from the Class of '92 playing at Manchester United.

Plus Sir Alex Ferguson is no longer Manchester United manager.

:(

It's a whole new era beginning...

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Does he get another testimonial?

Juventus again plz.

---------Schmeichel----------
Evra---Stam---Ferdinand---Neville
Beckham---Butt--Scholes---Giggs
----Van Nistelrooy---Van Persie---

:drool:

With some of his 90s team mates on the bench to make cameos; Cole, Yorke, Irwin, Phil Neville, Pallister...It's mad to think of the number of team mates he's had.

Even more crazy to think that when he made his debut, McClair, Parker and Brian Robson were all at the club.

gasmanc

Banned
He'll be back by Christmas lads, remember Scholesy :)
Unbelievable servant of the club, he's given us everything he could on the field and was strong enough to take the pressure himself when we needed him most. Personally I think the times right, he's got a great future ahead of him and he will need to gather as much experience as he can to make the move into management. He has had the benefit of one of the games greatest managers and now he has the chance the work directly with another.
Wish him well for him, and our futures, Ryan Giggs, Legend.

rooney1905

My favorite soccer player of all time. Paul Scholes may have taught me the ropes when it came to center midfield but Giggs taught me so much about positioning and dribbling and overall consistency. I am absolutely gutted. He will be the most decorated EPL player for eternity.

eddiebb

gobshite
If you could wish for one player to play at the top of their game back then, it wouldn't have been Cantona, Keane or Scholes, but Giggs. He could be mesmeric.
No it wouldn't. It would have been Cantona or Keane, depending exactly when you're referring to :lol:

redevil2

I still maintain he had something to offer us on the pitch. We're losing so much experience with Rio and Vidic leaving, I'm glad Giggs will still be around the setup.

Our most consistent midfielder this year?

Made me feel sad watching the clip and there will be Giggsy no more on the pitch, in our shirt, as a player... Yes am just glad he will at the dugout next season. Will miss him for not coming out of the bench to change games too. :(

redevil2

Juventus again plz.

With some of his 90s team mates on the bench to make cameos; Cole, Yorke, Irwin, Phil Neville, Pallister...It's mad to think of the number of team mates he's had.

Even more crazy to think that when he made his debut, McClair, Parker and Brian Robson were all at the club.
Lineker was saying the other day Giggs was the only player who's in his era and still playing and it made him (Lineker) feel he's not that old. See how Giggs affect people in a positive way! :)

bri2013

SSN showed a clip of him coming on for his debut at OT and i paused it to show the missus where i was sitting in OT that day!! Incredible player!!

He's one of the few players who unquestionably deserves the status of a legend. People will be talking about his achievements for decades to come. Giggs will always be a footballing freak of nature to me. I don't know how he's managed to maintain such high standards and the hunger to keep going back for more, year after year when others were retiring fairly young. It's gonna feel weird not seeing him taking on defenders and leaving them with twisted blood or in his later years, delivering those defence splitting passes that gave us our cutting edge. I've never seen a player transcend the generations and still produce the goods in all of them. He's an example to every aspiring young footballer of what talent and hard work can do.

It's been a honour watching this man play for our club and we don't appreciate that enough.

goldenstatesplash

What an absolutely undoubted legend of the game an the club. Known all over the world as one of the best left sided players to ever play the game. Thank you for the memories Ryan Giggs. Hopefully 'Sir Ryan' one day!

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Giggs
Faithful
Inspirational
Dependable
Legend
It's bittersweet and seeing him on the sidelines will take some getting used to.

reelworld

Someone here said that something that I absolutely agree, that Ryan Giggs symbolize what Manchester United football is all about. Pace, skill, and absolutely entertaining.

Thisistheone

No it wouldn't. It would have been Cantona or Keane, depending exactly when you're referring to :lol:
He's actually right. The young Giggs in full flight was 'The' sight to see at old Trafford back in the day. When he picked the ball up and ran, arses left seats. Similar to what Ronaldo did years later. And hopefully something Januzaj can produce in the coming years.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

Juventus again plz.

Should definitely get another testimonial. Except I think every player that has ever lined up alongside him should make a cameo. Not sure if any fans would fit into OT though

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
So he finally called it a day. There will be few players ever that will have a career as good as Giggs. He just played for so long and won so many trophies. Club legend.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
The best along with Scholes to play for United since I started following the club. A cornerstone during the Sir Alex era, which helped shape the club as it is today. Glad that he will remain with us as part of the coaching staff. Would love to see him manage us one day.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Still a classy player but the right time to retire. Put in a few credible performances last season but if LVG brings in the midfielders we need he wouldn't get a look in next.

Legend and club icon, obviously, and hopefully chapter two will be just as good.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Sitting on the bus into work today and dwelling for the first time on the fact that Ryan has called it a day as a player. Welled up. Everything I love about this club rolled up and fashioned into one man. :(

I'd long said that when the likes of Giggs & Scholes stopped playing I'd struggle to retain quite so much enthusiasm for the club but, sad day aside, it's clear that we are now at the start of the next part of this clubs journey and it's an exciting time. Great to see Ryan still on board and hoping that Scholsey can also play his part in the next chapter.

I've never written to a player before but he's getting a letter of thanks off me this week. Love the bloke.

United22

I still maintain he had something to offer us on the pitch. We're losing so much experience with Rio and Vidic leaving, I'm glad Giggs will still be around the setup.

Our most consistent midfielder this year?

Nope, because the others have been more consistent. More consistent at being shite this year. Giggs has by a country mile been our best midfielder this year. Its absolutely embarrassing how they haven't put in a performance of even half the quality of some of the performances he has this year, and he is 40 years old. His drive, energy and forward passing in some of the games in Europe is exactly what is lacking from every other one of our midfielders this year. He may be 40 but I'd rather see Fletcher, Carrick , Fellaini and Cleverley all go before him if we don't reinforce our midfield.

Amir

You just can't 'buy' vision like that. Giggs was probably still our best creator even in his final year.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Only two players made me cry when watching football, one was Diego Maradona and the other was Ryan Giggs.
Alessandro Del Piero.

He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind.
Sir Alex Ferguson.

The second quote is the one which gets to me. It's spot on. Fergie was a poet when he wanted to. And Giggs was just like that - even at 40 there was something youthful and carefree about his football.

Great, great player - I don't want to think about the fact he's now retired.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Last one from the team I've fell in love long time ago. :(

Really think he could have stayed on as a player for another year, but he knows best if the time is right to say goodbye.

Great to see him staying with United, and wish him all the best in new role!