Ryan Giggs retires

MarcRed96

Gutted he's gone but it feels like the right time.

Thank you for everything Giggs.

What a bizarre hour this has been.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
never made it to a World Cup final so could never be labelled a legend sadly.

Good player on his day

Leg-End

Absolute legend.

Sad to see him retire but delighted he's immediately joined the staff, I hope he never leaves.

siw2007

Giggs was my boyhood favourite player as he was probably many peoples. I am obviously disappointed to see him retire but think it was the right time for him to pursue a coaching role. We shall continue to sing his name at Old Trafford and not one of us will forget the great memories that he has given us over the years.

He is the greatest player in the premiership era, there will never be one like him again.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Thanks to the legend that is Ryan Giggs. At about 4 years old it's fair to say my influences were fairly shallow for supporting United. I saw Giggs signing as a school kid and doing kick ups on TV. I loved the kit and I was impressed with his skills. I knew nothing else about Manchester United at that age, but it was the start of a journey that has been an incredibly fruitful one in terms of emotional satisfaction as a fan and just having the opportunity to learn about a club with such a rich history.

Giggs will always be the first on my list of football legends. He may not be as skilled as Ronaldo, but for longevity, dedication, and all round contribution no one can really compare, particularly if just looking at Manchester United.

acrebo

Definitely my idol growing up and all-time favourite player.

The time's right, though, and I'm really glad he's been given an important role within the club. I hope and believe that he's there on merit.

Legend

RustyS

Legend. Some of his performances in the last few years were unbelievable considering his age. I hope he has as glittering a career in management as he did on the pitch.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I expected this tbh, but still gutted. Our greatest ever player.

Giggsy :(

A1X

The only man who could ever hold a candle to the great Sir Bobby, and the only man whom Sir Bobby can be compared against. Simply an awesome player, the finest in the world for much of it.

Thank you, Ryan. Here's to much more success in the future.

brian017

Farewell Giggs! That goal against QPR is one of my earliest United memories. One that got me into supporting them. Thanks for the memories! Ryan Giggs tearing you apart 1991-2014

Maroon Lucifer

I didn't think I would get this emotional about it, but I did shed a tear during that montage om SSN just now. Its curtains for my all time favorite footballer and idol, so its allowed this once. I'm just glad our paths dont part here.
Thank you for everything, and all the luck in the world.

Devil may care

One of our all time greats and finest wingers to grace the game but I think focusing on the assistant managers job is the right call, best of luck and thanks for everything Giggsy. :)

SiRed

Where do we being when we think back to our fave Giggs memory.

There have been so many.
Nutmegging a Totenham center half at white hart lane then flooring the Kepper before slamming it in?
Maybe a similar goal a year later against QPR?
The tackle on Henning Berg followed by the cross for Erics header against blackburn?
The free kick against Blackburn on the final home game of 92-93 season?

These are my earliest memories not just of Gggs but football as a whole.

Thank you Ryan. Just thank you

Manucho the boss

To think that some of my mates sided with Moyes when the stories came out about unrest with Giggs and the rest of the squad.

We wouldn't have got past Olympiakos without him this season I don't think. I'm glad he's chosen to walk away now rather than stay too long and have fan opinion force his hand.

Castia

Absolute legend, it's been a pleasure watching him over the years. Good luck in your new job!

Loon

:lol:
Wish he'd got one final run out/send off next season. Just to say cheerio.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I wish this was done on a different day so he could get the spotlight he deserved. Likely the player who epitomizes the club in the modern era, one of a kind and true legend.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Thanks for everything Giggsy! Hope he and LvG can take us to another level now!

LR7

I was born in '87 so don't remember United without Giggs playing for us. Absolute legend, and not just at our club either, but in world football. I wanted to see him stay and play for one last season but I'm just so glad he was kept on the coaching staff. It was imperative. It's been a privilege to watch him play. Our greatest ever.

Tribec

I remember seeing this scrawny kid play for another school when he was 14, little did I know then that over 25 years later we'd be trying to sum up his career with United. In fact, the concern was how'd the school team would stop him next time.

Whilst we recognise the significance of Giggs retirement today, lets also recall he was the last player to have still been playing who played in the pre - Premier League era, the last of the class of 92 to retire it as well. He's had a career to remember and has given us so many memories. Thanks Ryan, though the way you destroyed our school team all them years ago rankles with me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:(
Bittersweet today. Van gaal coming in is great but giggsy leaving.... I never knew a united without him. A true united legend, a shame he couldn't get to 1000 games but what he achieved is fantastic nonetheless.

Hard to think that we'll never see a united team with any if the class of '92 in it, apart from the testimonial game that will surely come. Would've wished they'd all announce it before hand though so we could give both him and rio a proper send off.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Legend and a half and is going out at the right time, in the right way.

Fully trust him to take the same approach to coaching that he did to playing and learn all that he can

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Glad he is going to be assistant manager. Will we have any veterans left next season?

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Looking back at his honours list it really is astonishing what he has won. Only Liverpool and Manchester United have more league titles than Giggs. He has as many league titles as Arsenal, who have the third most. That's bloody ridiculous.

And then honours as a whole he has more than Chelsea, more than Everton. Arsenal only have 5 more with 40.

Kag

I'm struggling to say anything that hasn't been said. The bloke has been a legend and a pleasure to watch. All the best.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Feel absolutely gutted.

When I was growing up he was my favorite. Bar none. Since then I've marvelled at Rio, cheered on Rooney and seen Ronaldo do things that I can scarcely believe. Yet there's nothing quite like your favorite from childhood. And now about 15 years later from my first trip to Old Trafford, (United 5 - 0 Brondby - Giggs didn't play I was furious) I finally say goodbye to the best player I've laid eyes on.

In my years as a season ticket I'll always remember the extra loud applause that Giggs/Scholes/Ole got when there name is read out at Old Trafford. I'll remember him missing that open goal against Arsenal and thinking he might be getting sold, then him winning the player of the season a few years later. I'll remember hiding behind the sofa when Nevile gave away that penalty against Arsenal in 99, then going mad when Giggs scored the best goal I've ever seen. I'll remember his all important touch in 99 final when I was in Barcelona. Hiding again when John Terry took that peno in 08 and then going mad when Giggs scored the winner.

13 premier leagues will never be seen again. To be honest apart from my immediate friends and family I don't think anyone has given me as much pleasure in my life as Fergie/Giggs. And now they're both gone.