Ryan Gravenberch | signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Evra

I read in another thread here (not a source) that the story is that the scouts weren't impressed and passed when he was at Sao Paulo FC.

More here (so apparently The Athletic) :

greater wall

I read in another thread here (not a source) that the story is that the scouts weren't impressed and passed when he was at Sao Paulo FC.

The Athletic mentioned a number of players who used their left foot for scoring goals. Robben being a notable example. Lots of right footed players never try to cross with their left foot. Left footed wingers who understand the tactical side of the game and are able to defend for the team are rare. United have done well to get him. He is the reason why I am confident about qualifying for the CL places. It was no coincidence that our best period was when Giggs was in the team. Arsenal have Saka now and they have become a more dangerous team for having him.

edgecutter

Loan deak would suit. If he's crap we can thank our lucky stars we didn't buy.

Crimson King

Mount caught Ten Hag’s eye playing in the Eredivise on loan to Vitesse.
This is such a stupid link that's been perpetuated by the media.

Mount played over 100 games for Chelsea and won the UCL since that loan spell.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mount caught Ten Hag’s eye playing in the Eredivise on loan to Vitesse.
Right that's what it was. Not anything to do with him blossoming in a Chelsea shirt for back to back seasons. Sure thing mate.

Plastic Evra

Erik ten Hag, in his bunker, shaking and raving to Murtough & Fletcher why they haven't signed Litmanen and Kezman yet.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

What do you mean by ‘perpetuated’? Unless you mean ‘made up’ or ‘lying’ - then you have no point really. They said what they said. Respected journalists at that. So they either made it up, or it just hurt your feelings because it’s something you don’t like about your boss.

Same goes to the post below yours because I’m not posting this twice.

the_cliff

It's actually ridiculous.

Even the Amrabat links, oh he wants Amrabat because he played under him, nothing to do with the fact that he was in the world cup team of the tournament.

Plastic Evra

Even the Amrabat links, oh he wants Amrabat because he played under him, nothing to do with the fact that he was in the world cup team of the tournament.
I'd say them having worked together is not inconsequential because EtH maybe liked his temperament he saw first hand (Amrabat is a driven hard worker, by other accounts) and that could inform a personal preference.

Not to diminish that he indeed did most of his career after that.

the_cliff

I'd say them having worked together is not inconsequential because EtH maybe liked his temperament he saw first hand (Amrabat is a driven hard worker, by other accounts) and that could inform a personal preference.

Not to diminish that he indeed did most of his career after that.
Yes but it's overstated in the media especially.

We wanted a midfielder that can do the 8/10 hybrid thing so we signed Mount a player that ETH liked the look of 5 years ago when he was 19 in the Eredivisie, nothing to do with the player he became. We also didn't sign Kudus who actually played in that position under ETH despite wanting to move and being available all summer.

Crimson King

What do you mean by ‘perpetuated’? Unless you mean ‘made up’ or ‘lying’ - then you have no point really. They said what they said. Respected journalists at that. So they either made it up, or it just hurt your feelings because it’s something you don’t like about your boss.

Same goes to the post below yours because I’m not posting this twice.
My feelings aren't hurt, no need to be a dick.

I'm sure he was impressed by Mount when he was on loan at Vitesse, by all accounts he did well there. Apparently Ajax tried to loan him the next season, but who knows if that is actually true.

What I mean is, that this isn't the reason he wanted to sign him now for Man Utd. He wasn't going off his teenage performances in the Eredivisie, Mount's played a lot of football since then.The media have just inflated the former thing to fit this idea he only signs players he's worked with or...played against, oddly.

In 2019 Casemiro played in the Real Madrid team versus EtH's Ajax in the UCL. Is that the only reason we signed Casemiro? If course not, it's illogical.

Crimson King

And whilst not being 'top tier', is a very accomplished player at a good age, who plugs a big midfield gap in the squad. Also available for a respectable price, at a time when funds are obviously restricted. It's a signing that makes a lot of sense.

I just don't understand it, the man has worked with some good players. If we actually had signed FdJ, would people be complaining about that?

Plastic Evra

And whilst not being 'top tier', is a very accomplished player at a good age, who plugs a big midfield gap in the squad. Also available for a respectable price, at a time when funds are obviously restricted. It's a signing that makes a lot of sense.

I just don't understand it, the man has worked with some good players. If we actually had signed FdJ, would people be complaining about that?
I think the Antony deal is really (so far) stinking up the whole joint of his nose as a recruiter.

Bojan Djordjic

In all seriousness, maybe the dipshits running the club should start listening to their scouts. We'd have Enzo, Caicedo and Sesko and could have avoided spending a king's ransom on Antony.

Crimson King

I think the Antony deal is really (so far) stinking up the whole joint of his nose as a recruiter.
Yeah that's the only one I really question too, when though I've tried my best to defend it. I don't think he'll ever justify the fee, which will always be an anchor around his neck. I thought he was ok last season, especially his work off the ball for the team and from a tactical perspective, which is part of why EtH wanted him.

His output does seriously need to improve though, and so far this season he hasn't even doing the good parts from last season. I can totally understand the criticism he gets, but I think the way it's used to attack the manager is way over the top.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Yeah that's the only one I really question too, when though I've tried my best to defend it. I don't think he'll ever justify the fee, which will always be an anchor around his neck. I thought he was ok last season, especially his work off the ball for the team and from a tactical perspective, which is part of why EtH wanted him.

His output does seriously need to improve though, and so far this season he hasn't even doing the good parts from last season. I can totally understand the criticism he gets, but I think the way it's used to attack the manager is way over the top.
You could say that about the whole team so far this season.

The one thing I've always said about Anthony is that he brings a balance to attack and we generally look better as team for it. He holds his width really well (albeit to then cut in) and doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities. We haven't seen the Ajax version of him granted, but he's not been half as bad as some folk seem to think. As for bashing EtH with it, idiots gotta idiot.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

IMO that's a concern. Statistically, one of the worst things you can do in the transfer market is sign a player on the back of a strong international tournament performance.

the_cliff

IMO that's a concern. Statistically, one of the worst things you can do in the transfer market is sign a player on the back of a strong international tournament performance.
I agree. I'm not really a fan of the Amrabat signing tbh although he was good in the Conference league final, he definitely outperformed Rice in that game. My point was basically that if we do end up signing Amrabat it's not because ETH managed him 6 years ago...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I agree. I'm not really a fan of the Amrabat signing tbh although he was good in the Conference league final, he definitely outperformed Rice in that game. My point was basically that if we do end up signing Amrabat it's not because ETH managed him 6 years ago...
Fair enough, I agree with that

Dominos

Biggest takeaway here is referring to Mount as a ghost :nervous:

Horrible feeling that £55m will turn out to be a very inefficient use of our resources..

dinostar77

Good watch, not what we need right now. Needs to develop as a player.

Did think one comment summed him up nicely "a supplementary player not a spinal player".

If we sign him will be another "antony" type signing by ETH. A limited player that ETH likes for some bizarre reason.

We'd be much better off with amrabat as a double pivot alongzide casemiro.

Gordon Godot

In all seriousness, maybe the dipshits running the club should start listening to their scouts. We'd have Enzo, Caicedo and Sesko and could have avoided spending a king's ransom on Antony.
The club is badly run, we have NO football structure. Managers keep being given free reign on transfers, with predictable results. ETH is unpicking previous mistakes whilst being allowed to make several of his own. Utter stupidity

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly.

Mount
Antony
Martinez
Weghorst
Onana
Eriksen
Timber
De Jong
Gakpo
Gravenberch
Malacia
Amrabat

Yeah anyone who says we trust our scouting network for much is delusional. Of course not all of these players are bad or poor targets, but it shows that ETH seems to have close to autonomy on targets and transfer decisions and he tends to favor those he has experience playing with/against.
It’s been like this for ages. Our club doesn’t really have actually have any competence in the transfers or squad building so everything is done as per the managers vision. But in this day and age no great clubs works like this - we have to move to a coach and transfer committee / dof model rather than this old school manager who is everything one.

Skills

Snitch
I don’t really get this obsession with Amrabat, personally. All I ever see is World Cup highlights for a half decent game against France.

The solution to our midfield with what we already had was to sign a no.8 (an actual central midfielder) who has the capacity to run with the ball, retain it under pressure, and make 70+ passes a game.

Our midfields biggest strengths were playing on the transition with long balls. They’re all fecking atrocious at the short passes. Instead of hiding our flaws we’ve only exacerbated that by adding yet another counter attacking no.10 to hide in the middle of the field. Mount made FIFTEEN passes against Spurs in 85 minutes. 15!
Yup

Kostov

The Athletic mentioned a number of players who used their left foot for scoring goals. Robben being a notable example. Lots of right footed players never try to cross with their left foot. Left footed wingers who understand the tactical side of the game and are able to defend for the team are rare. United have done well to get him. He is the reason why I am confident about qualifying for the CL places. It was no coincidence that our best period was when Giggs was in the team. Arsenal have Saka now and they have become a more dangerous team for having him.
What? Antony makes you confident about something?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm sure for every 1 hit the scouts reveal 5 duds. But it is frustrating that our scouts do seem to get ignored.

glasgow 21

We are not signing anyone. The bank is empty. Any further signing were based on Maguire McTominay DVB Henderson etc moving on for the transfer kitty.
Sad state of affairs really, but not unexpected.

Jericho

What happened with him at Bayern and why would they be willing to let him go? If he hasn't kicked on in his career why the feck would we want him? The last thing we need is another overpaid player who carries himself about the pitch like he has nothing to prove.

The_Midfielder

What happened with him at Bayern and why would they be willing to let him go? If he hasn't kicked on in his career why the feck would we want him? The last thing we need as another overpaid player who carries himself about the pitch like he has nothing to prove.
He could be the next Henry.. Or he could. Be the next Djemba djemba ..we will never know.. If he is cheap.. Get him

Bondi77

International form has no relevance on this site...Harry says Hi!

Bojan Djordjic

I'm sure for every 1 hit the scouts reveal 5 duds. But it is frustrating that our scouts do seem to get ignored.
Even if all those players had turned out to be duds for United, we'd have "squandered" about €30mn in total as the fees were so low. It's alright to take punts in the market at those valuations. It's when you take €100mn punts that you're screwed when it goes tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.