Sachin Tendulkar

kps88

Silly argument. It's not just the final that counts. Most of the team contributed throughout the tournament.

kiristao

Dhoni performed only in the finals and even there Gambir played a more important knock. Dhoni got way more credti then what he deserved for the win.

zing

Zingle balls
Nonsense. Gambhir's knock was way more vital.
Completely agreed.

Dhoni's knock was well over-played and Gambhir's seriously under-rated.

I believe that if Gambhir hadn't played that knock at the time he did(30 for 2?) and got out instead, we'd have collapsed.

I rate Kohli's 30 or whatever it was too. Very important passage of play.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Completely agreed.

Dhoni's knock was well over-played and Gambhir's seriously under-rated.

I believe that if Gambhir hadn't played that knock at the time he did(30 for 2?) and got out instead, we'd have collapsed.

I rate Kohli's 30 or whatever it was too. Very important passage of play.
Agreed.

I had switched the TV off after Tendulkar went fearing another collapse. Great innings by Gambhir and he seems to have a thing for WC finals

Forevergiggs

Nonsense. Gambhir's knock was way more vital.
Jesus! Winning a tournament is not just not about a knock in the final. I am not talking about that. Obviously the whole team played a part in the tournament win, not any single individual. Though it was Dhoni's team and under his captaincy. He captaincy was inspiring in the tournament.

Captains and coaches are held responsible for losses, so why not credit them for wins?

I do enjoy a spot of the all India cricket arguing team.

Thanks guys & carry on...

popcorn gif
feck off Colin.

zing

Zingle balls
Agreed.

I had switched the TV off after Tendulkar went fearing another collapse. Great innings by Gambhir and he seems to have a thing for WC finals
You switched off the world fecking cup final after Tendulkar got out?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
You switched off the world fecking cup final after Tendulkar got out?
sounds mad but I didn't think I could stand another 2003. Switched on when Kohli got out and then watched it from there

Moby

Dick
Jesus! Winning a tournament is not just not about a knock in the final. I am not talking about that. Obviously the whole team played a part in the tournament win, not any single individual. Though it was Dhoni's team and under his captaincy. He captaincy was inspiring in the tournament.

Captains and coaches are held responsible for losses, so why not credit them for wins?

feck off Colin.
Not always, it depends. I like Dhoni the ODI player, not quite rate him highly as a captain. Particularly his fecking around with the batting order which is really annoying and has led to us relinquishing great platforms set by the top order later on in the innings. he got it spot on the final by promoting himself up when the situation was exactly that suits his style of play, but the match was turned upside down by the Gambhir-Kohli partnership.

kps88

Turning it off after Sachin goes is a long lasting tradition in India.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I'm guilty of it through the 90s, against the Aussies, Poms, Saffers, even Zimbabwe. The urge to do it after Giles bowled him in the Natwest final was strong, but that was the first time I didn't.

Doing it in a WC final, played ona flat track in Mumbai, knowing that even if Tendulkar went all wasn't lost, is just silly.

Forevergiggs

Not always, it depends. I like Dhoni the ODI player, not quite rate him highly as a captain. Particularly his fecking around with the batting order which is really annoying and has led to us relinquishing great platforms set by the top order later on in the innings. he got it spot on the final by promoting himself up when the situation was exactly that suits his style of play, but the match was turned upside down by the Gambhir-Kohli partnership.
Doesn't matter if you rate him or not. Dhoni is hands down the best limited over captain India has ever had. The only one that comes close to him is Ganguly.

Again, no one was talking about the final.

Turning it off after Sachin goes is a long lasting tradition in India.
May be it was in early part of Sachin's career. But not since Ganguly, Dravid, Yuvraj, Sehwag, Dhoni etc came into the fold. Enough words can't describe someone who will turn off a world cup final in 2011, years after the team stopped solely depending on Sachin. Gambhir, Kohli, Yuvraj (our best player in the tournament) &Dhoni were still not out.

kps88

Yeah I know, doing it in the last ten years is silly.

Moby

Dick
Doesn't matter if you rate him or not. Dhoni is hands down the best limited over captain India has ever had. The only one that comes close to him is Ganguly.

Again, no one was talking about the final.
I'd like you to point out specific instances prior to the final that set Dhoni's captaincy apart. I didn't see anything spectacular from his part. I was half expecting him to pussy out again in a tough situation in a final by coming lower down the order and sending others up like he usually does, but it was refreshing to see him finally be sensible with the order.

Again it's your opinion that he is the best ODI captain we have had. Most of the senior players in his team were developed by Ganguly so more credit goes to him for this team. Ganguly was a better captain in 03 than Dhoni was in 11 in motivating the team to win against tough teams. Pretty sure Kapil deserves a lot of credit for defeating that mighty WI team back in 83 while also playing some blistering match winning knocks and plenty of contribution with the ball and in the field - that magnificent catch of Viv in the final that turned the game - which set him apart. Dhoni had a good start as a captain with bringing together a young team to win that T20 WC and then a great run in ODIs with him providing many match winning moments in finishing the innings with Yuvi but he has had many embarrassing moments afterwards which really take him away from the elite bracket.

Forevergiggs

I'd like you to point out specific instances prior to the final that set Dhoni's captaincy apart. I didn't see anything spectacular from his part. I was half expecting him to pussy out again in a tough situation in a final by coming lower down the order and sending others up like he usually does, but it was refreshing to see him finally be sensible with the order.

Again it's your opinion that he is the best ODI captain we have had. Most of the senior players in his team were developed by Ganguly so more credit goes to him for this team. Ganguly was a better captain in 03 than Dhoni was in 11 in motivating the team to win against tough teams. Pretty sure Kapil deserves a lot of credit for defeating that mighty WI team back in 83 while also playing some blistering match winning knocks and plenty of contribution with the ball and in the field - that magnificent catch of Viv in the final that turned the game - which set him apart. Dhoni had a good start as a captain with bringing together a young team to win that T20 WC and then a great run in ODIs with him providing many match winning moments in finishing the innings with Yuvi but he has had many embarrassing moments afterwards which really take him away from the elite bracket.
Pussy out? :lol:

May be you should try to pay more attention before coming up with dross like that. More often than not, Dhoni times his position and innings to perfection in one-day formats. There is a reason why he will go down as one of best one-day batsman of all time, and arguably also the captain. I haven't seen anyone since Steve Waugh time their innings, and finish matches, as well as Dhoni. Even a blind man can see that in pitch dark.

Do you know when Ganguly was removed from the captaincy? Ganguly changed the mentality in Indian cricket and Dhoni took that forward in one-day formats and made us a force. Kohli, Gambhir, Sehwag, Raina, Dhoni himself, Sachin etc. - they were developed by Ganguly? Ganguly also had honor of playing with some of the best cricketers to grace Indian cricket in their prime. Dhoni had managed teams with young players and ageing veterans.

Kapil catch's...blah blah blah....performances in the world cup doesn't make you the best or the worst captain ever. It's your overall work that counts. With the bowling resources we had/have Dhoni's record is exemplary. He'll be in the list of top 5 batsman and captains in limited over formats, in the world, by the time he retires.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The two best performers of the WC Winning team were developed/motivated by Ganguly(Yuvraj and Zaheer). Gambhir, Sehwag, Harbhajan were all bought in by Ganguly.

Dhoni will no doubt go as a great ODI captain but the 0-8 debacle won't be forgotten by anyone too soon.

Moby

Dick
I'm a tad excited to see sachin this year. We have seen before how he comes back strongly from a dip in form and goes on a good run. The age might catch up this time but he has looked good so I hope he glets a few good innings under his belt in the next two matches.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Don't see him on the back stool getting out LB much. Was a good ball that got him yesterday.