Sadio Mane | LFC Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman

Still think people are overrating him but wouldn't mind him.

30m, might seem much but is probably a fair price considering Depay cost 25m. Mane is proven in PL and is only two years older.

Last edited:

Norris

I haven't read any of the opinions on here.. but honestly, I don't think he is United Quality (What exactly is United Quality is probably another discussion). He's not even a short term fix in my opinion. On top of that, I think he will struggle just much as the others in the "Philosophy" of van Gaal. We're better of looking elsewhere. Besides, didn't Koeman quote a price of 62million ? Why would you want to buy him for that much! Also read reports that van Gaal have pretty much agreed a deal for Felipe Anderson, which is also an underwhelming signing for me.

Godfather

I haven't read any of the opinions on here.. but honestly, I don't think he is United Quality (What exactly is United Quality is probably another discussion). He's not even a short term fix in my opinion. On top of that, I think he will struggle just much as the others in the "Philosophy" of van Gaal. We're better of looking elsewhere. Besides, didn't Koeman quote a price of 62million ? Why would you want to buy him for that much! Also read reports that van Gaal have pretty much agreed a deal for Felipe Anderson, which is also an underwhelming signing for me.
He's better than what we have in his positions. That's good enough for me.

ravi2

Mane and Anderson are probably the best we can do in the January window.
If the help us secure a top 4 finish it would be worth it imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They have to be worth it in the long term too, though. We have a decent chance of top 4 as it is. Mane I think will be worth it in the long run. He's only 23 and already a very good player. No idea about the other one.

Norris

He's better than what we have in his positions. That's good enough for me.
You would be ok spending upwards of 45 million of Mane ?

I think we have a squad good enough for top 3 imo. Once Lingard comes back, I think he can do a good job at RW. He may not be as talented, but can definitely put in a very good shift. If possible, even bring Januzaj back or get Young play at RW once Darmian recovers some confidence.

ravi2

They have to be worth it in the long term too, though. We have a decent chance of top 4 as it is. Mane I think will be worth it in the long run. He's only 23 and already a very good player. No idea about the other one.

I agree, from what I've seen of Mane he has a future with us.... I've only seen you tube vids of F Anderson so I'm really not sure.
Our side needs pace in the wing and attack badly.

I think we have a decent shot at top 4 but with the way LVG is going who knows how far the next crisis will drag us down?

ravi2

You would be ok spending upwards of 45 million of Mane ?

I think we have a squad good enough for top 3 imo. Once Lingard comes back, I think he can do a good job at RW. He may not be as talented, but can definitely put in a very good shift. If possible, even bring Januzaj back or get Young play at RW once Darmian recovers some confidence.
For me, mane shouldn't cost more than 35m.
We need pace and while lingard is good, we need something extra at this point to really push on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
35 million itself seems rather excessive. But by our standards, it's fairly standard.

ottosec

Overrated for sure, but might be a good option now as he is already used to the league and can make an instant impact and that's what we need.

He is also still young and can improve in the future.

Norris

For me, mane shouldn't cost more than 35m.
We need pace and while lingard is good, we need something extra at this point to really push on.
I think we should make do with what we have and then look in the Summer. Evaluate who can play at RW and whose available, how much Januzaj has progressed (If at all!). I ideally prefer going in for some relatively unknown entity rather than a household name, but I know that it is very unlikely.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I for one welcome our new right back.

ravi2

35 million itself seems rather excessive. But by our standards, it's fairly standard.
We paid almost 30m for Fellaini... A few weeks before that we could have gotten him for a few million less.... Our transfer business is farcical at times. 35m for Anderson doesn't raise my eyebrow one bit.

I still can't believe we paid that much for Fellaini.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
PL tested player with time to improve, he'd actually provide us attributes we're desperately missing and obtainable if not this window then the summer... just makes too much sense....
I still remember when he was first linked in the summer after we missed out on Pedro, muppet suicide. :D

ravi2

I think we should make do with what we have and then look in the Summer. Evaluate who can play at RW and whose available, how much Januzaj has progressed (If at all!). I ideally prefer going in for some relatively unknown entity rather than a household name, but I know that it is very unlikely.
I think we should not make do with what we have because what we have is not enough.
Besides our side is crying out for pace... We look so dull and boring out there sometimes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Besides, didn't Koeman quote a price of 62million ?
It was a click-bait price quoted by The Sun which included wages in the price. Koeman hasn't quoted any price, officially.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Im not just saying this because it seems were getting Mane and Morgan for the price of Sterling but I really admire the way Southampton do business.
There are no ridiculous fee being asked ala Stones or Lukaku and in this day and age where money is becoming less and less important because since so many sides now have it, it's a really admirable way to conduct themselves.
Play well for us and we won't hold you back if a top club comes along, really stops all the horse shit and drama the modern player brings with him.
I don't quite get how that is admirable tbh.

Norris

I think we should not make do with what we have because what we have is not enough.
Besides our side is crying out for pace... We look so dull and boring out there sometimes.
And you think bringing Mane in would dramatically change that ? He's just as likely to suffer as the rest.
It was a click-bait price quoted by The Sun which included wages in the price. Koeman hasn't quoted any price, officially.
Sorry, my bad then.

justboy68

It makes me angry that the rags have started throwing in wages to up the sensationalist figure. It just makes me sad that it actually works on some people. I was talking to a few people earlier who said 'I can't believe we're thinking about buying Mane for £60 million!'.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@amolbhatia50k
Agree with alot of what you're saying about Mane, even though I have my reservations about his "top level".

For instance, the dribbling ability you mentioned that he doesn't possess - the close quarters dribbling like Hazard, Martial etc. - would that make him a bit more ineffective considering how teams usually line up against us? Most of those highlight reels in the clip of Mane had him running into acres and acres of space.

Where we're going to find someone with that dribbling ability is another matter though. And in all honesty, I don't watch enough of Mane to really know how good he is or could become. I do think he has a ton of attributes we need though - pace, strength and goal threat.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd rather take the gamble on Sane or get Mahrez

Mainoldo

Put him on the right and we should have more balance. He would improve coming here and is the only player I have seen out pace Morano from Liverpool.

FujiVice

Hope he is not a Valencia type signing, i.e. decent/fairly (back then). We need real class. Not more ''decent''.
I dont know. I'd take Memphis being Valencia 09/10 decent at the minute. I watched some games from that season recently, and Valencia's crosssing is so great. Its amazing to think its the same player who has hit the first man for the last 5 years.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't quite get how that is admirable tbh.
Me neither actually. It's quite submissive. Southampton pay their players handsomely, and if a player gets itchy feet about leaving, then the club should command any fee they want. If they don't get that fee, then they should be telling that player to get on with their job, or be docked wages. I don't think it has anything to do with holding a player back. It's about a professional doing the job he signed a contract for.

I think Everton sticking two fingers up at Chelsea and keeping hold of arguably the best defensive prospect in England is much more admirable. Clubs outside the top 4 shouldn't just bend over when a top side comes in for a player. It's better for the league if the best talent isn't just concentrated within the top 4/6 teams.

Southampton may struggle to replace Mane this window, so I think they have every right to command a bloated fee for him to either detract United, or to cushion the blow a little if they lose him.

Rake

And you think bringing Mane in would dramatically change that ? He's just as likely to suffer as the rest.
Not only we lack pace but we lack players who can beat an opponent 1v1... Pace is great when you are on the counter for example but when a team parks the bus there are no spaces for fast players. Mane is both pacey and can take players on which is the combination we desperately lack. Bar Martial there is nobody who can beat a man and disrupt defences.

Silverman

As people have said, will he be able to adjust to a team that won't be playing on the counter attack?

Rory 7

Would be another hugely underwhelming signing. If we are serious about turning this ship around we need to aim much much higher.

Shimo

As people have said, will he be able to adjust to a team that won't be playing on the counter attack?
While a lot of what we've seen of him has been when they are counter attacking or in more open games, the fact that he has the pace, power and close control means that he could be effective even against teams that sit back more. As evidenced by Martial and Young's performances this weekend - when we let the wide players go against opposing fullbacks, especially when teams are clogging up the middle like they have been with us, it can be very effective. In fact, Young's performance shows exactly what we are missing almost every game, zero threat from wide right in terms of going directly at defenses.

The good thing is that he can also come inside and link up but, provide what Mata currently does not at all - which is pace and power. He is not a world beater but, right now we don't need him to be, just needs to be something a lot more than what we have and I think he or a player like him would provide that for us.

Even if he ends up being a squad player next season if he does not continue to develop, look at our current situation where we've got absolutely no one on the bench that can come and really inject some verve in our play when the time comes, give us some options to really change games. Right now we thrown on defenders and young players like Perreira that are good but, don't are not impactful players.

Don't see us getting him this window anyway but, would love to get him or anyone else that can actually bring the qualities he has to our right side midfield.

Drifter

American
So this one could be really happening .Will be a great acquisition if true.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Would be another hugely underwhelming signing. If we are serious about turning this ship around we need to aim much much higher.
We could break the British transfer record on a player like Di Maria I suppose. Or we could go for PL proven players who don't have stupidly big egos. The latter is what you get in the January window. Mane is a very good player.

Mani

It look like the best we could get in this window,i doubt he could improve us much with our the current set up,but i would be happy to see him prove me wrong if at all we sign him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He isn't world class, but it's close to impossible to buy any world class players in January. Was difficult enough in the summer. Is a player that has attributes which could prove useful to us, and he has potential. Definitely worth buying.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm not blown away by him, but feels like a Fergie signing. Youngish, proven in the premier league, doing his thing relatively consistently for a lower (profile) team in the division. Like Saha or Carrick.

Signing stars barely ever works out for us. If he comes in and is as good as Tony V was in his first 2 seasons it'd be a wonderful signings.

Prices are sill ymoney, but the EPL is silly money. United are silly money. Sad, but is what it is.

McK@n

40 year old Virgin
An honest question... why do people on here discuss the pricetag? Its not like its your money and how is it relevant to the football side of it? We dont even know the full extents of the deal. Like signing on bonus, agent fees, budget etc. Think of it like its your neighbour buying a car, expensive one, say lexus. While you think that he's overpaying for a glorified Toyota its not our decision to make. Hes just playing in a different ball park then you and values certain aspects..

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Still do not think he is good enough. I am honestly not sure if he is any better than someone like Zaha. Our standards should not slip because we are in some poor form.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
An honest question... why do people on here discuss the pricetag? Its not like its your money and how is it relevant to the football side of it? We dont even know the full extents of the deal. Like signing on bonus, agent fees, budget etc. Think of it like its your neighbour buying a car, expensive one, say lexus. While you think that he's overpaying for a glorified Toyota its not our decision to make. Hes just playing in a different ball park then you and values certain aspects..
For me... just mental how much these kinds of players are going for in the modern English game. Don't really care about price, not my money. Just think we're witnessing something outfeckinglandish in terms of inflation. Veron cost 28m or something -- a genuinely world class player, wanted by most clubs in the world at the time. Keane cost 3.75m... just people raised watching football in the 80's/90's will think these figures are crazy.

The flipside is that the game moves on, and always evolves. Also, the PL is so rich these days that most clubs can afford to spend big. I'd only care about money if it meant not being able to sign better players in the summer, which isn't the case, because we're loaded. So I don't really care at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.