Sam Johnstone | Performances & Updates

Sid234

He's made some fantastic saves in that video! Clearly a very talented keeper, Should be loaned again next season!

Swaters16

Judging from the one minute of the video I watched it looks like his positioning is very good, he was always there to gather the ball easily.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Judging from the one minute of the video I watched it looks like his positioning is very good, he was always there to gather the ball easily.
The first minute of the video was crap. After that the impressive saves starts!

eddiebb

gobshite
He looks to have that Casillas knack of the ball bouncing off him after saves, but somehow always managing to get it safe by hook or by crook. From the times I saw him this season I do think he still needs to do plenty of work on command of his area and coming for crosses.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
3rd choice, Linde leaving?

Brophs

The One and Only
Preston couldn't afford to pay that sort of fee, could they? I wonder how many of the seven figures are after a decimal point.

Ekeke

Must have an agreed fee on that one if they want to make it permament, else we wouldnt bother

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Preston are looking for promotion and if Preston means so much for Sam then fair enough. Although he deserves a Championship loan.

But if we sell him to Preston or someone else next season then i will cry.....i rate him so highly.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought it was strange but if it's his home town club then fair enough. They're also going for promotion too.

Decotron

Preston are looking for promotion and if Preston means so much for Sam then fair enough. Although he deserves a Championship loan.

But if we sell him to Preston or someone else next season then i will cry.....i rate him so highly.
Im the same (without the crying!!!).

Unless the club feels that gigantic Serb and Periera are better prospects. Still think we'd be mad to sell him to a club of that level given his age and current rate of progression.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think it is only a matter a time before he leaves no matter how good he is doing on his loans especially if De Gea signs a new deal. Realistically he will never challenge De Gea for a spot and someone of Sam's talent with ambition will not want to be sitting on the bench. Look at Amos, almost 25 and he is fecking around in the reserves. A couple years in the Championship and then a move to PL club would be great for Sam. I wish all the best to him if decides to leave permanently.

khoazany

Edit: Can we change the thread title???

Another clean-sheet for him tonight......his 7th in the last 9 games.

Next opponent: Pearson's Barnsley on Saturday.......i think i will go this match
Playing him in League One is a cheat really.Especially with Preston being one of the top teams in that league.

Sid234

With Amos and Lindegaard (very unlikely he'll stay) leaving this summer, will we bring him back and keep him as the No. 3 or loan him out?

A loan would be the better option but after Johnstone, the next GK in line would be Joel Pereira so I fear we might not loan him out.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Vanja Milinković-Savic will be back. His coach said that he could be our third choice GK next season.

khoazany

Is he any good? I'd love a giant goalkeeper.
Still has a lot to prove at the current league he's playing at from what I've seen on highlights.His coach's comment about him being third choice is a very arrogant and (IMO) clueless one for me.He's not the only good GK prospect that currently contracted to this football club and at the moment I'm not even sure if he should be counted as a good prospect if the likes of Johnstone and Joel Pereira are the standard.

pascell

Think we sell Johnstone. Preston will definitely want to sign him, if they get promoted, which looks likely. Wasn't a fee agreed also as part of the loan move?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Playing him in League One is a cheat really.Especially with Preston being one of the top teams in that league.
He wanted the move so much and and if he plays well then at least it isn't a negative loan deal.

But no question he must play Championship football next season. If Preston are going up then they should be the favourite to get him.....although a top club would be better.
Think we sell Johnstone. Preston will definitely want to sign him, if they get promoted, which looks likely. Wasn't a fee agreed also as part of the loan move?
The rumours are there but it would be stupid to sell him.

Sid234

I don't think we'll sell him, would leave us short in terms of reserve GK's with Johnstone being the only one other than Valdes and DDG with first team experience..

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Judging from some stories I've read online it doesn't seem like he's in van Gaal's plans.

Sid234

I'd be disappointed if we let him go.. He's got the potential to be a very good PL GK.

khoazany

I'd be disappointed if we let him go.. He's got the potential to be a very good PL GK.
People probably will think I hype up players from our academy too much but I think Amos will have a Foster-like career and Johnstone is at least a level higher than that.