Sam Johnstone | Performances & Updates

Danish Wizard

I hope he will go on loan pretty soon. No idea in him being GK #3 in United. He will never play - only the odd u21-match, which is below he level. Need a loan and regular first team football at Championship level this season.

FromTheBench

He should be ahead of Lindergaard frankly.

If we wanna keep Lindergaard as number 2 coming season then might as well keep Johnstone in that slot.

khoazany

He should be ahead of Lindergaard frankly.

If we wanna keep Lindergaard as number 2 coming season then might as well keep Johnstone in that slot.
That's a tough call.For a number 2 GK manager usually want to have a proven experience reliable option.

jb8521

The crazy thing is because he was such a late bloomer Lindegaard has only actually played just over 100 first team games in his career with Johnstone playing 76

khoazany

The crazy thing is because he was such a late bloomer Lindegaard has only actually played just over 100 first team games in his career with Johnstone playing 76
Should loan Johnstone for one more season then (presume he'll play most of the games on loan) just for him to become more "experience" than Lindegaard.

jb8521

Should loan Johnstone for one more season then (presume he'll play most of the games on loan) just for him to become more "experience" than Lindegaard.
Yeah I agree I think we should let him go back to Preston for the season after how well he did to help them getting promoted. Keeping him around as 3rd choice will just lead to another Amos situation

prath92

We have one of the best GK coaches around. Is Johnstone good enough to be moulded into a future no.1? I have seen him only a couple times last tour and frankly I thought he looked decent. At least in comparison to Ben Amos anyway. Btw Who was the keeper who let in that half line goal against Roma ? Amos or Johnstone ?

khoazany

We have one of the best GK coaches around. Is Johnstone good enough to be moulded into a future no.1? I have seen him only a couple times last tour and frankly I thought he looked decent. At least in comparison to Ben Amos anyway. Btw Who was the keeper who let in that half line goal against Roma ? Amos or Johnstone ?
Amos.He's actually a decent keeper who's very solid at Championship level last season and probably should have gone earlier to stay a chance of making it at PL level.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Johnstone is 9 years younger and has about as many appearances under his belt as Lindegaard. The only experience Lindegaard has is being on the bench. I'll be surprised if he's going to be the nr. 2 keeper again.

FromTheBench

The only question to Johnstone being number 2 would be his temperament at the top level otherwise he is a very good all round goalkeeper who has pretty much excelled wherever he has gone. (Except for the temperament part keeping at the lower level vs One league higher shouldn't be all that different.)

LR7

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/national-football/pne-still-waiting-on-johnstone-1-7363384

Preston desperate for him to come back on a season long loan. I definitely think we should let him go regardless of the first team GK issues. Getting a full season of football under his belt is far better for his development than just staying here as a third choice 'keeper who trains every day but never plays.

I think it's his boyhood club and I could see him going there permanently at some point in the future but I definitely think he has a lot of potential and gaining experience should be the priority.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Amos

Sid234

Nice half from him, needs to work on his distribution but did well as a sweeper keeper though.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Really good coming off his line and being available for passes. His kicking was really quite poor, but good half overall.

Sam

Great half from the lad, don't think he put a foot (or a glove) wrong?

crimsonife

Impressed. He sprints off the line quickly to snuff out the danger. Dallies a little on the ball though.

MDFC Manager

Superb job sweeping up. Shows no hesitation with that, meaning he's really confident. Do we really need someone like Romero, if Dave stays?

Devil may care

I thought he did well, he was very definite in his decision making which I like in a keeper.

Sid234

Better 45 mins than Lindegaard imo, who looked shaky at times and has bad distribution as well.

dann496

still unsure about his ball handling which is a shame he got replaced in 2nd half as I hope to see more of Johnstone.
As most people citing here, the lad got good composure and decision making. I also don't see a problem with his distribution either, he only need to work on the ball kicking.

As it is, I don't mind Johnstone to be our 2nd goalie. The lad has good potential.

m1y2

Big fan of him, I really hope he will get more chances. It is very difficult for a goalkeeper to breakthrough in a club like ours but I think he could make it Imagine we have world class goalkeeper from the academy, really rate him!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He was great. Very composed and brave. I hope we can move him to the number 2 spot.
What's the point in keeping him as a number 2? If we think he has potential (and I think he does), he's better off going on loan again and getting consistent first team football.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's the point in keeping him as a number 2? If we think he has potential (and I think he does), he's better off going on loan again and getting consistent first team football.
Agree

Mani

This guys look good, just is distribution that look ordinary,this lad require lot playing time also looked much better compared to Lindegaard.

LR7

Given the current GK situation at the club, he couldn't have done much more to put himself into the managers thoughts. At the same time though I hope we let him go back to Preston on loan as Lindegaard didn't play a single minute last season and Valdes was lucky to get a single game. Keeping Johnstone here for a season to sit on the bench would be counter productive. A full season under his belt will be the best thing we can give him if he's to have any hope of becoming the number 1 here.

izec

Impressed by Johnstone. He was always more talented than Amos. I wish he would make it here, while he has not the experience of Lindegaard or Romero, he could develop to be a better keeper.

Sid234

I hope we loan him out to Preston once we return from tour. Playing regular football will do him a world of good

ChaddyP

I thought his distribution was good overall. It was better than Lindegaards
I think yesterday we saw why lindegaard doesn't play for lvg. His distribution was worse than anything I've ever seen. So not surprising Sam was better in this regard. :lol:

dr.twinny

6 months late. A bit pointless denying him the move in the summer, but anyways, I hope he does well for the rest of the season.