Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Re the question

grealish all day long
No doubt

In fact right now i'd place the priority like this

1. Grealish
10. Calvert Lewin
11. Rice
12. Sancho

Between Dormunds outrageous demands, the fact that hes been shite this season and the fact hes entirely unproven in the PL compared to the other three i'd say we should just forget about him and go all in for Grealish. When you play against him, hes the kind of player that makes you nervous every time hes on the ball. Not only is he the best ball carrier in the league (something we desperately need), but his passing is exquisite as well

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
No doubt

In fact right now i'd place the priority like this

1. Grealish
10. Calvert Lewin
11. Rice
12. Sancho

Between Dormunds outrageous demands, the fact that hes been shite this season and the fact hes entirely unproven in the PL compared to the other three i'd say we should just forget about him and go all in for Grealish. When you play against him, hes the kind of player that makes you nervous every time hes on the ball. Not only is he the best ball carrier in the league (something we desperately need), but his passing is exquisite as well
This. Sancho's been extremely underwhelming this season. It could be a one off season for him since he's clearly got potential, but paying £100 plus for him based on the last six months is a hell of gamble! Reyna has been better this season based on the matches I've seen this season, Sancho's been pretty anonymous.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He's a United player if I've ever seen one.
Absolutely. We really should go all out for him. I think he’s definitely proved he’s the real deal and he would really elevate us. I would literally wet my pants with excitement if we managed to snatch him from Villa.

The Oracle

Grealish all day long.

He is an incredible player, and he has an end product - whether it's finding the pass or having a decent shot on goal.

Bruno and Grealish would be the closest thing to Xavi and Iniesta.

DickDastardly

Grealish is absolutely class and the only player in the OP that comes close is Sancho. I actually think the club will move for Grealish in the summer.

Rarely have i seen a player go all out and do a real "audition" on Old Trafford the way Jack Grealish did tonight.

You just can't help but see and feel - he'd love to be here. It was obvious as daylight.

This photo right here, that's just prime courting. From both sides.

Grealish looks a bit like a prime primadonna, just waiting for the right guy to take off her panties and dive in.
And Ole has his cock out that's for sure.

Whatever it takes, boys, whatever the feck it takes....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rarely have i seen a player go all out and do a real "audition" on Old Trafford the way Jack Grealish did tonight.

You just can't help but see and feel - he'd love to be here. It was obvious as daylight.

Grealish looks a bit like a prime primadonna, just waiting for the right guy to take off her panties and dive in.

Agree, Superb technique in close quarters along with excellent dribbling and creativity/vision to boot.

that’s such a great photo. It really is a what’s the caption, type photo.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Agree, Superb technique in close quarters along with excellent dribbling and creativity/vision to boot.

The way he pulls defenders away is phenomonal. And unlike a lot of other good dribblers, hes a team player rather than a showoff who wants to do everything himself

Him creating that kind of space for Bruno on a regular basis would be lethal

The Oracle

You realise Xavi and Iniesta never gave the ball away, like ever right?
Have you seen Bruno play?
I honestly think Grealish and Bruno in the same side would raise their game to an even higher level (they'll both recognise how good each other is).

Xavi and Iniesta are the only two players I can compare them to who played in the same team.

If it's comparing them to two players from different teams, then I would say Bruno is most like De Bruyne, and Grelish is most like Hazard.

mav_9me

Grealish is the closest to Hazard in terms of keeping the ball and dribbling.

However I'm still in favor of getting Sancho for RW first. His stock being down should mean a little bit cheaper.

And then maybe we can sell Pogba to fund Grealish or rice.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The ones saying Grealish isn't a RW, he isn't, but what he would bring is production from that area. He runs at defenders and is a foul magnet, which defenders are scared of. His final ball is great. He has the arrogance to play for a big club. What isn't there to like?

KennyBurner

4 english players all linked with transfers away, and all likely to cost £80 million or more . Realistically we can afford one of those players at best - who would you want ? If any at all.

I really can't even decide who I would want most because I think Grealish is pure class already and I think the other 3 will be with a year or two more experience

Rice has been superb for West Ham and looks really mature for his age.
Calvert-Lewin is exactly the kind of striker we haven't got - apart from maybe a 33 year old Cavani.
Grealish is probably the best attacking midfielder in the P.L after Bruno and de Bruyne
Sancho - well, he has been soso this season but was superb last season
Calvert lewin is a better version of Haller which doesnt amount to much. A limited striker like him should never be an option for a club like United. It sucks that the other players are pretty much impossible to require all in one window.

Calvert lewin is a better version of Haller which doesnt amount to much. A limited striker like him should never be an option for a club like United. It sucks that the other players are pretty much impossible to require all in one window.
Calvert Lewin... haha, it blows my mind people consider him an option and I always think I must’ve missed something. Then I watch him again and come to the same conclusion, he’s about as good as peak Andy Carroll with similar attributes. Should never be an option for a club wanting the top prizes.

KennyBurner

Calvert Lewin... haha, it blows my mind people consider him an option and I always think I must’ve missed something. Then I watch him again and come to the same conclusion, he’s about as good as peak Andy Carroll with similar attributes. Should never be an option for a club wanting the top prizes.
Unfortunately many on the Cafe are still in love with classic No.9s and dont understand you need more complete strikers in the mold of lewandowski/benzema. he couldnt even make complete 5 yard passes when he faced us in the cup. All he has is aerial ability. We deserve more.

reddevilz007

The ones saying Grealish isn't a RW, he isn't, but what he would bring is production from that area. He runs at defenders and is a foul magnet, which defenders are scared of. His final ball is great. He has the arrogance to play for a big club. What isn't there to like?

Grealish was everywhere today. He looked far more dangerous than Rashford and Martial combined, no matter which flank or area he was in

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Grealish would be a springboard similar to Cantona to take us to the next level.

-Supreme-

I don't think the club have invested a potential €40m on Diallo to have him sitting on the bench long-term. I honestly believe the club will give him time to make the RWF role his own in the next 12 months.

That leaves Sancho and Grealish for the LWF role and Grealish for me would be starting ahead of Rashford on the left because he's better in many facets of the game.
Agreed.

But I’m not sure if our transfer budget can afford £80M + for Grealish, DM and CB, the latter two positions are much higher priority IMO.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Grealish would be a similar catalyst to Cantona. However, I would think it can only happen if Pogba was to move.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I love Grealish. He is maybe my favourite PL player right now (not counting our players of course). But where would he play for us? We have a lot of left wingers and no10 is covered by Bruno. And i doubt that we would splash 60-80mil for player for rotation.

Sancho would be nice but i am not convinced in him at all.
Rice and DLC...meh, we don't need them at all.

Matt851

Maybe we should go for one of them foreign players, i hear they can be quite good

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed.

But I’m not sure if our transfer budget can afford £80M + for Grealish, DM and CB, the latter two positions are much higher priority IMO.
I think Pogba leaving is a real possibility which will hopefully see us receive a decent transfer fee which should hopefully offset a significant chunk of money towards Villa's asking price.

And then I would hope the club looks for a DM from outside of the EPL who will likely cost significantly less than Declan Rice who is vastly over priced if reports are to be believed. I think a DM and CB from the continent combined would cost less than Declan Rice which IMO is the way to go in these difficult times.

Sparky Rhiwabon

The players should be banging on Ed's and Ole's doors and demanding that they break their noses to sign Grealish this month. Imo, that could be the extra ingredient that would secure no.21. Grealish is also the sort of character who would jump at the chance to make a name for himself in knocking Liverpool off their Perches.

-Supreme-

I think Pogba leaving is a real possibility which will hopefully see us receive a decent transfer fee which should hopefully offset a significant chunk of money towards Villa's asking price.

And then I would hope the club looks for a DM from outside of the EPL who will likely cost significantly less than Declan Rice who is vastly over priced if reports are to be believed. I think a DM and CB from the continent combined would cost less than Declan Rice which IMO is the way to go in these difficult times.
Let's hope we get a decent fee for Pogba, but knowing the Italian teams particularly Juve I have my doubt when Pogba could sign a pre contract agreement on a free transfer in 6 months time from the summer transfer window.

man united 4eva

I'd rather we got Haaland than any of those 4 players mentioned... a forward line of Martial - Haaland - Rashford with Bruno behind them would make our team far stronger/better than if we incorporated any of the others.

Matt851

Let's hope we get a decent fee for Pogba, but knowing the Italian teams particularly Juve I have my doubt when Pogba could sign a pre contract agreement on a free transfer in 6 months time from the summer transfer window.
Yeah given the current financial environment, i think clubs will try and get him on a free or offer a low fee this summer (maybe in the region of 10-15m)

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd rather we got Haaland than any of those 4 players mentioned... a forward line of Martial - Haaland - Rashford with Bruno behind them would make our team far stronger/better than if we incorporated any of the others.
Haalands release clause doesn't come into effect until summer 2022, I doubt he will leave Dortmund until then.

United need to get the rest of the squad sorted out and have Haaland as the cherry on the cake so to speak.

Extend Cavani another year until then.

It would be a monumental battle to get Haaland at United though.

AFC NimbleThumb

Did fergie ever spend the equivalent of 300 mil back then in a calendar year?
Not really arsed if he did or didn’t what he did do was identify the best British talent & generally acquired it.

Wasn’t my money then or now.

He wasn’t averse to spending when required is the point but yea let’s keep Dan James & co. around because it’s not been done before.

However I'm still in favor of getting Sancho for RW first. His stock being down should mean a little bit cheaper.
His stock is down for a reason though. Without an overlapping full-back - and lets face it, Hakimi was basically a winger - to occupy defenders, create overloads and manufacture space for Sancho to work, his deficiencies are becoming glaring.

Now that he's being forced into more 1v1 and even 1v2 situations with teams doubling him, his lack of explosiveness has really been shown up. He just doesn't have top level acceleration and speed.

Away from the attacking side, he's also ranked bottom 5% in the Bundesliga among forwards in terms of pressures per game - ( 56th out of 61 eligible players) - and in terms of high intensity sprints per game (58th out of 61 eligible players)....both of which go against the hard-working, high intensity team we're seemingly trying to build.

There's been a knock on Dortmund, and maybe even the Bundesliga in general, for producing 'system-baby' players - which hasn't been entirely fair...but I am very wary of Sancho being one. Dortmund, last season in particular, were absolutely made (intentionally or not) to highlight Sancho's abilities and cover his deficiencies.

Neto > Sancho all day for me in the battle of the 20 year old wide forwards (born 16 days apart)...absolutely huge talent, with the fire and intensity to match. We've seen what Jota was doing for Liverpool pre-inury, and Wolves fans are just about unanimous that Neto's on another planet in terms of talent.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
His stock is down for a reason though. Without an overlapping full-back - and lets face it, Hakimi was basically a winger - to occupy defenders, create overloads and manufacture space for Sancho to work, his deficiencies are becoming glaring.

Now that he's being forced into more 1v1 and even 1v2 situations with teams doubling him, his lack of explosiveness has really been shown up. He just doesn't have top level acceleration and speed.

Away from the attacking side, he's also ranked bottom 5% in the Bundesliga among forwards in terms of pressures per game - ( 56th out of 61 eligible players) - and in terms of high intensity sprints per game (58th out of 61 eligible players)....both of which go against the hard-working, high intensity team we're seemingly trying to build.

There's been a knock on Dortmund, and maybe even the Bundesliga in general, for producing 'system-baby' players - which hasn't been entirely fair...but I am very wary of Sancho being one. Dortmund, last season in particular, were absolutely made (intentionally or not) to highlight Sancho's abilities and cover his deficiencies.

Neto > Sancho all day for me in the battle of the 20 year old wide forwards (born 16 days apart)...absolutely huge talent, with the fire and intensity to match. We've seen what Jota was doing for Liverpool pre-inury, and Wolves fans are just about unanimous that Neto's on another planet in terms of talent.
I agree with you on the point of Dortmund basically being a car showroom for players, they make a player seem great so they fetch a good fee.

Kagawa, Gotze, Mhkitarian, Sahin all failed elsewhere.

Gundogan and Hummels to some extent all great at Dortmund but failed to achieve the same level elsewhere.

Lewandowski was the big exception.

We can hope different for Haaland if United went in for him next year.

Sancho is young, 20 years old so I really don't think that is his limiting factor though, I think his head isn't at Dortmund honestly, it's not about Hakimi although losing someone you interchange with does take time to adapt to, just as moving to a new club. I think he was polite and didn't want to push hard for the move but ultimately doesn't want to be at Dortmund, I can see him leaving very soon. He is a top top player.

I have no doubts Sancho is a 100M player, but I think he's 20 and he will grow with time too.

Maajid

Formerly Mad

He was brilliant last night!

Side note but I noticed that he wasn't wearing any shin pads - is that the case?

mav_9me

Valid points. To add to yours I don't think he has shown enough with England either.

However I think he has elite passing in and around the box in particular. And of course great close control and dribbling. Best option for our RW imo. Particularly for say 80m£.