Sancho needs our support

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Regardless of the price of a player, anyone can go through a mental health issue. He also went into a training programme during the world cup break.

Its like saying if a 80m player gets injured once we should sell him because they'd need individual training in the middle of season to get fit.
If a player is injury prone then he's usually shown the door unless of course he's such a great talent that his occasional cameos makes it worth keeping him. This ain't different. Ultimately not every player is cut to play at the top and some of those players can be exceptional talent.

romufc

If a player is injury prone then he's usually shown the door unless of course he's such a great talent that his occasional cameos makes it worth keeping him. This ain't different. Ultimately not every player is cut to play at the top and some of those players can be exceptional talent.
Sancho is having this once, unless you can point to another time where he has had this kind of break. He is also a great talent.

So you say injury prone players are shown the door? Phil Jones, Tuanzebe say hi.

devilish

Sancho is having this once, unless you can point to another time where he has had this kind of break. He is also a great talent.

So you say injury prone players are shown the door? Phil Jones, Tuanzebe say hi.
That is why I wrote "The Dutch man will be under huge pressure to perform and will certainly not have the time to cuddle players mid way into the season again". The situation will be very different next season. On one hand we'll probably have a transfer budget that would run in hundreds of millions. On the other hand we'll have over enthusiastic owners who had just spent 7b to buy United, they have to work with a setup they haven't chosen (ex manager etc) and would be eager for some trophies.

On the second sentence you're right and I apologise. I should have written properly run clubs.

Lemon Moon

Does anyone think he may be deployed as a striker when he returns?

I personally doubt he's suited to playing in that position but Erik has talked up his ability to play ST previously this season.

saivet

It’s an interesting topic so I get the coverage.

But it might just be a case of Sancho missing the WC squad so he felt a bit down…plus needing a bit of extra time to add some muscle/endurance to his body for the second half of the season.
I don't think so, ETH has mentioned he noticed a change after the international break in September, where he probably was a bit unlucky not to make the England squad.

Flexdegea

I might been a bit hard on him in the other thread.

I'm all for it, he needs the support.............he's a cracking talent, weirdly started the season well. Hopefully he can come back to his best.

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting quotes from Ten Hag, says he wants him fit but also says he doesn’t have the patience to wait because we need players, suggesting Sancho is part of the issue holding this up.

Also not buying the fitness thing, his last game was October 30th, he’s now has the whole of November and December to ‘get fit’, that’s longer than preseason and he’s been on a personalised training regime with individual coaches.

crossy1686

career ending

I personally doubt he's suited to playing in that position but Erik has talked up his ability to play ST previously this season.
No? Unless we’re desperate and even then we have Sancho, Martial or even Bruno

Herman Toothrot

Interesting quotes from Ten Hag, says he wants him fit but also says he doesn’t have the patience to wait because we need players, suggesting Sancho is part of the issue holding this up.

Also not buying the fitness thing, his last game was October 30th, he’s now has the whole of November and December to ‘get fit’, that’s longer than preseason and he’s been on a personalised training regime with individual coaches.
Wonderful imagination. Why even cite if you intend to just make something up?

jackal&hyde

I found the media questions during the press conference to be in poor taste. The guy, Sancho, might be in a bad place psychologically and needs a little bit of time off. I don't know who the guy asking the questions was but he was a complete wanker to keep pushing with rubbish like "if all players were unfit bla bla".

jackal&hyde

I will re watch the answer but I did not get that feeling at all.

Shark

@NotShark

Would explain the physicality aspect. Might actually be onto something.

jackal&hyde

Yeah, I made this up…

If you watch it, it has a different vibe. It's like the player needs patience, and he gives that to him, but he as a manager want's results and he doesn't have patience to get them. I don't know if it makes sense but it's something like that. Patience with individuals but not the team in general.

crossy1686

career ending
If you watch it, it has a different vibe. It's like the player needs patience, and he gives that to him, but he as a manager want's results and he doesn't have patience to get them. I don't know if it makes sense but it's something like that. Patience with individuals but not the team in general.
Thanks for the clarity, it’s hard to understand context when it’s only written down.

Last edited:

romufc

On the second sentence you're right and I apologise. I should have written properly run clubs.
Again this is not true. Liverpool in my opinion are a proper run club, they have Keita and Ox in the squad and they are injury prone.

devilish

Again this is not true. Liverpool in my opinion are a proper run club, they have Keita and Ox in the squad and they are injury prone.
The OX has been with Liverpool since 2017 while Keita has been there since 2018. Both are tipped to leave in the summer as Liverpool aren't that stupid to offer them contract extensions. Jones had been here since 2011 and Tuanzebe has been with us since 2015 despite having just 37 appearances with us. That's not the sign of a properly run club. I am pretty sure that ambitious owners will focus more on how many trophies the club will win and less on how many cuddles we give to our little birds with a broken wing

Suv666

Hopefully Sancho can sort himself out.
He would struggle to find any manager be this supportive and empathetic. Especially managers for top teams who bin struggling talent at the drop of a hat. ETH is a top bloke.

This season would be do or die for Sancho if he can't prove himself after such an extended break and individual attention I doubt ETH would keep him around.

Abraxas

Hopefully Sancho can sort himself out.
He would struggle to find any manager be this supportive and empathetic. Especially managers for top teams who bin struggling talent at the drop of a hat. ETH is a top bloke.

This season would be do or die for Sancho if he can't prove himself after such an extended break and individual attention I doubt ETH would keep him around.
To be honest I'm not sure the manager has that much choice but to support the player in whatever the player needs, he can't dropkick Sancho from the club right now. The club paid significantly for him and obviously ETH knows that so I think he's got to play it like this regardless of what his overall feeling on Sancho is in the long term. It is really the only sensible option - try everything to get an 80 million signing playing well otherwise we're looking down the barrel of a huge miscalculation with this purchase.

croadyman

Wonder if the racist abuse suffered after missing that penalty in Euros final has hit him harder than we all thought

Castia

If it's a mental issue which a lot are suggesting it's going to be tough to get back.

jackal&hyde

If it's a mental issue which a lot are suggesting it's going to be tough to get back.
Neah. Did you not have moments of feeling super bad? It does away but a few days or more are needed.

ETH made the point that we should not think of players like robots. It happens that we can go through times of bad places. We all did and we bounce back.

Castia

Neah. Did you not have moments of feeling super bad? It does away but a few days or more are needed.

ETH made the point that we should not think of players like robots. It happens that we can go through times of bad places. We all did and we bounce back.
Yeah but it's completely different being in the spotlight in a 'job' that comes with a ton of criticism

Lets say we get him back to 100% and he's ready to play if he doesn't perform he could be back to square 1

It's so strange seeing a player not even train (until recently) at a club because of these issues he must be in a bad way

jackal&hyde

Yeah but it's completely different being in the spotlight in a 'job' that comes with a ton of criticism

Lets say we get him back to 100% and he's ready to play if he doesn't perform he could be back to square 1

It's so strange seeing a player not even train (until recently) at a club because of these issues he must be in a bad way
Yeah, it must be serious. The more serious it is the less we should ask for imo.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah, why would we play Sancho when we have Sancho
We’d play him on either wing, or as a AM, you know, his best positions, instead of playing him up front when we have other players who are better suited to that role. Or you know, we could just play him full back instead? Maybe in net? We have Sancho after all?

kidbob

I really hope we can get him back into his Dortmund form. That would make a huge difference to our attack and also allow Antony to find his feet with a bit less pressure.

norm87cro

Judging how ridicilous Antony can look and Martials lack of goal threat (aldo I think he did brilliant in our first goal) Sancho (and Garancho) deserve playing time

city-puma

We need sancho back now! The match schedule is too intense from now on. These two months are critical to the outcome of this season!

Krky72

Supports
Glasgow Rangers
I think Rashford’s complete overhaul in form and confidence should be a sign that there is good things to come from Sancho. ETH appears to be the right man to handle a situation like this.

croadyman

I think Rashford’s complete overhaul in form and confidence should be a sign that there is good things to come from Sancho. ETH appears to be the right man to handle a situation like this.
Yeah be great to see that Dortmund Sancho here under Erik. Just know he will get the opportunity to succeed when ready

city-puma

It’s true. Remember the first player going through that process is Varun. Then, after two league games, Varun started and has been playing like new signing since.

Scottynaldinho

You'd imagine "humans" and football fans would support a footballer going through some form of depression even if he plays for another club.

Anyone saying that they'll not support because he receives a huge paycheck and was an 80m signing lack back human decency.

The Dane

Maybe the best cure for Sancho is to loan him back to Dortmund (if he and they are interested), where I assume he felt good and safe, for the rest of the season, and then hopefully we can have him back for next season fully fit and mentally ready for the challenge.

Greck

But just to go to the bold part I highlighted - I can't buy this as an excuse from a professional footballer because they would have had to deal with competition their whole careers to get where they are. If they buckled under pressure, they wouldn't have made it to this level. Just because they lose their spot in the starting line up or two shouldn't be the cause of what has happened to Sancho in my opinion
I meant Ronaldo's tactical effect not mental. I don't know anything about the latter. With Ronaldo our wide forwards drift infield less and have no support cutting in. The only luck we got with Sancho's form was when given license to drift inwards for a couple games. All his goals came from the sort. ETH said we were making a concerted effort to drift him inwards. The plan sort of just fell off when we went back to Ronaldo-far-post-hoof ball.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Can see more and more players suffering from this once all the new formats are embedded for Champions League, league games.
New World Cup format, depending on the amount of group games, nations league games, friendlies, Euros, when will they have time to recharge and reset?

Not saying this is specific to Sancho, more of a broader term for the rest of the players.