Sarri vs Guardiola

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Maurizio Sarri's style of play:

Pep Guardiola's style of play:

So who wins? I must admit Napoli's style of play is just sublime :drool:

AgentP

Sarri's Napoli side remind me of Ancelotti's Madrid when Di Maria played as LCM. Comparing them to our team, we lack a right winger and a marauding left back to implement this system.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Sarri's Napoli side remind me of Ancelotti's Madrid when Di Maria played as LCM. Comparing them to our team, we lack a right winger and a marauding left back to implement this system.
I doubt Mourinho could ever play like Napoli. It's not just his style.

Nick.

I would love for us to play the same stye of Napoli, it's beautiful. But is a striker like Lukaku more suited to counter attacking football instead?

ParkLife

By all accounts, Napoli are basically ignoring Europe this year to focus on the Scudetto. De Laurentiis was in Gazzetta today saying that key players should be rested in preparation for Inter at the weekend.

It'll likely be a damp squib unfortunately.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
If it lives up to the billing, it'll be a fantastic matchup.
Seen De Laurentiis say in the media he wants Napoli to rest some players for the upcoming Inter match in the league. We'll see if that's Sarri's take on things.. Should be entertaining regardless.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
By all accounts, Napoli are basically ignoring Europe this year to focus on the Scudetto. De Laurentiis was in Gazzetta today saying that key players should be rested in preparation for Inter at the weekend.

It'll likely be a damp squib unfortunately.
De Laurentiis talks too much. Don't think Sarri wants to get hammered tomorrow.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maurizio Sarri's style of play:

Pep Guardiola's style of play:

So who wins? I must admit Napoli's style of play is just sublime :drool:
Can't really compare Italy to England, the standard is quite a bit different outside the top 6. One thing I will say is Sarri hasn't done it with quite as big a budget.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Strictly speaking in terms of the application of the principles of positional play, Maurizio Sarri's Napoli is the best I have lived to see and I have seen it from it's inception at Ajax. Geometrically perfect. They are thes best team in Europe in the first 2/3rds of the pitch.

With regards to tomorrow's game, I expect Manchester City to win as Napoli might rotate as the Scudetto is priority.

They play nothing like Real Madrid did under Ancelotti and Mourinho is incapable of implimenting this. His football is the antithesis of this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Napoli reminds me of Monaco last season (even if they still played great football last season too), not necessarily in terms of styme but in the way that they can break Juventus' continuous win streak in the league while playing some superb football.

Treble

Napoli can bring them back to earth. But I doubt it. Napoli haven't played against a team capable of pressing them like City. The pressing that Sane, Jesus and Sterling offer against the defenders is very rare across Europe. Cheslea couldn't string 3 passes after outplaying Atleti at their ground. But if Napoli manage to beat them the effect could be quite bad for City.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Napoli reminds me of Monaco last season (even if they still played great football last season too), not necessarily in terms of styme but in the way that they can break Juventus' continuous win streak in the league while playing some superb football.
Napoli are more balanced, despite playing attacking football.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
With regards to tomorrow's game, I expect Manchester City to win as Napoli might rotate as the Scudetto is priority.
I'm pretty sure they actually rested Mertens against Shaktar away for a home game against Beneveto on the weekend. :D

padr81

Supports
Man City
Rumor has it Napoli's president wants them to rest players for Inter at the weekend. Hope its not true as they'll be a real test for us and to see how we're shaping up under Pep.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rumor has it Napoli's president wants them to rest players for Inter at the weekend. Hope its not true as they'll be a real test for us and to see how we're shaping up under Pep.
Napoli's squad isn't deep enough to compete for multiple trophies and this season they've got a real good shot at the title.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sometimes yes. Just look at their first leg against City.
That had nothing to do with headless chickens, it was the individual and colective quality from City who caused those troubles, this year Monaco has more troubles because they have to insert and adapt new players, if there is one thing you cannot say about Leonardo Jardim is that his teams don't know what they are doing, he is not Wenger for sure.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Imho Napoli must rest some players against City most of all because they have 3 Serie A matches in 8 days: Saturday 21 vs Inter (H), Wednesday 25 vs Genoa (A) and Sunday 29 vs Sassuolo (H); then M.City and Chievo.

M.City can rest all the players next wednesday in the EFL cup vs Wolverhampton. Sarri has to make a choice: Serie A or UCL

Last edited:

Bojan11

I just hate teams who rest players for champions league. Alright if you got a easy fixture or qualified. But you work all year to get in tournament and start resting players just doesn't make sense to me. Spurs did it last year.

Eddy_JukeZ

I hope Napoli don't rest players, but I'd understand if they did.

I really want to see these 2 teams play at full strength.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Will be a pity if they do, but anything that makes it easier is good for us I suppose. I was surprised by there result in Shaktar and a loss tonight could well see them fecked out of the group so I hope they come and give it a go. Plus I think full strength City vs full strength Napoli could be a crazy goal fest.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
That had nothing to do with headless chickens, it was the individual and colective quality from City who caused those troubles, this year Monaco has more troubles because they have to insert and adapt new players, if there is one thing you cannot say about Leonardo Jardim is that his teams don't know what they are doing, he is not Wenger for sure.
Monaco were very tight at the back 2 seasons ago, while they played attacking football last year. They looked a bit clueless at times.

Aza Boy

Sarni for the win.
Hahahaha...amen to that.

Crazy threat, comparing nothing coach with one of the best.

Not yet a half season start and some posters here compare it with Pep and belittled Mou.

Come back again if he has winning a thing. The best coach in Serie A still Allegri...

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Hahahaha...amen to that.

Crazy threat, comparing nothing coach with one of the best.

Not yet a half season start and some posters here compare it with Pep and belittled Mou.

Come back again if he has winning a thing. The best coach in Serie A still Allegri...
well this thread is about methods not palmares... guardiola himself paid respect to sarri, a bit schmoozer a bit realist must be said... sarri would be very welcome in the modern PL with his attacking style, Liverpool the best fit imho

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Don't know how well do people remember Serie A in its heyday, but as far as i can recall it was a fairly regular occurrence (during 1998-2002 period at least) that teams fielded second string XIs in Euro competitions while prioritizing the League. It was a somewhat common attitude there that Serie A was the trophy to win. It seemed odd to me at the time, but it was done nevertheless. I guess Napoli feel they have a fair crack at the League this season, certainly a better chance of winning that when compared to the CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Depended on the team and the cup. EC/CL was always the priority though, for anyone playing in it. UEFA/CW cups, depended on the team. Italian teams playing their bench in the early stages against farmer's teams doesn't matter

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
City will tear them apart I think.

Napoli are great to watch but the quality of Serie A is nothing compared to what it was and that will be evident soon enough.

NB, fully prepared to eat my words if City get spanked.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Depended on the team and the cup. EC/CL was always the priority though, for anyone playing in it. UEFA/CW cups, depended on the team. Italian teams playing their bench in the early stages against farmer's teams doesn't matter
Well obviously not always. It might be my memory pulling tricks on me, but i do seem to remember a couple of late stage exits where there were combined lineups involved which would probably be unthinkable anywhere else.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
City will tear them apart I think.

Napoli are great to watch but the quality of Serie A is nothing compared to what it was and that will be evident soon enough.

NB, fully prepared to eat my words if City get spanked.
city being very strong and focused this year does not make napoli mugs though

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
city being very strong and focused this year does not make napoli mugs though
I never said they were mugs, I just think they look better than they are based on how poor Serie A is in general. They didn't look too good in Europe last season either iirc.

I'm expecting nothing less than a City walk over. If I'm wrong feel free to make me eat humble pie :)