SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

redshaw

Texas hospital.

Reminds me of western Europe a few months ago

To keep people off vents they use ECMO which oxygenates the blood

Last edited:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
The dutch health authority were reported on the news as saying, the chance of catching covid in the outdoors is virtually nil. Offices, busses, trams, airco, trains, elevators is where its at. UK had 2 meters and we 1.5, UK is a mess, we're ok.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
No official numbers today on the Department of Health and Social Care Twitter page. Is there any reason for this or just a delay?

@redshaw

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The dutch health authority were reported on the news as saying, the chance of catching covid in the outdoors is virtually nil. Offices, busses, trams, airco, trains, elevators is where its at. UK had 2 meters and we 1.5, UK is a mess, we're ok.
Osterholm was effectively asserting this months ago. He said it is primarily spread by breathing in the virus as a pose to touch.

prateik

My assumption has been, based on nothing really, that outdoors is pretty safe.... people naturally stay a certain distance apart when outside. Especially in Europe/US where its not as densely populated like parts of Asia.

If they start opening playlots for kids, it wont be safe just because its outside.
Mass gatherings outside wthout masks probably wont be safe either (protests/concerts .. )

But I'd assume going out for a walk or crossing someone on the street shouldnt be a huge worry ..

I also saw this video

prateik

Osterholm was effectively asserting this months ago. He said it is primarily spread by breathing in the virus as a pose to touch.
Please tell me that is a speech to text fail and you didn't just type that.

Drifter

American
Herman Cain admitted to hospital with COVID-19 after going mask-free at Trump’s Tulsa rally

These people will risk their lives for Trump

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
My assumption has been, based on nothing really, that outdoors is pretty safe.... people naturally stay a certain distance apart when outside. Especially in Europe/US where its not as densely populated like parts of Asia.

If they start opening playlots for kids, it wont be safe just because its outside.
Mass gatherings outside wthout masks probably wont be safe either (protests/concerts .. )

But I'd assume going out for a walk or crossing someone on the street shouldnt be a huge worry ..

I also saw this video
We are a country the size of wales with a population of 17+ million. Wales has 3 million, thats a lot.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Is it socially accepted yet that this is something we're gonna have to live with as an inconvenience?

F-Red

Is it socially accepted yet that this is something we're gonna have to live with as an inconvenience?
In what context?

I think most people accept that until a vaccine is found, then there will be a lost of inconvenience.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have final presidential elections voting in 10 days and our prime minister was agitating for their candidate today saying ‘we shouldn’t fear coronavirus, especially older people, I assure you there is nothing to fear’... that is because their candidate, current president, has 70% of votes in over 70 group. Those people.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...if-covid-19-cases-spike-poll-reveals-12019957
According to polls 70% of Brits are uncomfortable going to the pub while 83% would back a second lockdown, although i imagine that number would decrease quite rapidly once they realize there's (likely) little to no furlough support second time round and we could come out the other side a 3rd world country.

Locking down local flare up's is the right balance, there's some areas in the country that's been on single figure weekly cases (at worst) for ages, locking down those areas again would be ridiculous.

Suv666

Can I use a face shield instead of a mask when I'm outdoors like when walking my dog?
Also will a mask+shield combo provide more protection in general or should I wear just the mask?

lynchie

I also saw this video
There's almost no risk from passing someone in the street, even if you get pretty close - it's too short an exposure, and air movement will disperse most of the droplets very rapidly.

Kids play areas might be a risk, if transmission from virus droplets picked up from surfaces is significant. Most of the world has, cautiously, assumed it is, but the US CDC claimed that there wasn't much evidence for it. In any case, kids, particularly younger kids, seem to be less likely to either catch or spread the virus than adults.

Mass gatherings outside don't appear to have led to significant outbreaks either as far as I've seen, and I'm not convinced everyone was wearing a mask at any of the large recent protests, so that's also promising. It would definitely be different at something like a concert where the crowd pushes together toward the stage and people are basically breathing directly into each others mouths at times.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can I use a face shield instead of a mask when I'm outdoors like when walking my dog?
Also will a mask+shield combo provide more protection in general or should I wear just the mask?
I think a face shield would do the same job as long as it's on correctly. Mask + shield is just extra protection which should be worn by people who deal with many people.

lynchie

If you're out walking your dog in open spaces, and not approaching other people, you can likely do whatever you like. Indoors, a mask is better than a shield, as the momentum of your breath will carry droplets out and around the sides of a shield pretty easily. Adding a shield on top of a mask is probably not conveying any additional benefit.

prateik

We're a country of idiots.
65% in the US do it and they had 60k new cases yesterday.

Masks alone might help a little, but more importantly, it acts as a constant reminder to stay at a distance and be careful..

Just putting a cloth mask on and not doing anything else wont be much help.

lynchie

The Dutch Health Org said the chances of catching it in the open air were virtually nil.
I'd generally agree on the provision that you're not right up in someone's face, where you could potentially be breathing straight into their mouth.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...if-covid-19-cases-spike-poll-reveals-12019957
According to polls 70% of Brits are uncomfortable going to the pub while 83% would back a second lockdown, although i imagine that number would decrease quite rapidly once they realize there's (likely) little to no furlough support second time round and we could come out the other side a 3rd world country.

Locking down local flare up's is the right balance, there's some areas in the country that's been on single figure weekly cases (at worst) for ages, locking down those areas again would be ridiculous.
Your own speculation or based on anything in particular?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Your own speculation or based on anything in particular?
Educated prediction based on just 1 month of lockdown causing a 20% fall, there's only so many times any country can survive such catastrophic hits.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Educated prediction based on just 1 month of lockdown causing a 20% fall, there's only so many times any country can survive such catastrophic hits.
It would have been much higher than 20% without the furlough scheme.

F-Red

Excess deaths in care homes in the UK is 29,000. Unreal.

The policy of moving care home people out of NHS hospitals, and back into the care setting without a testing process has shown the ineptitude of Johnson and this government.

Carolina Red

Staff

@Carolina Red - How goes preparation / planning in your neck of the woods?
School districts are starting to release plans. I saw one released yesterday that says they’re planning on assigning kids to an A/B schedule, so 50% attend on Monday/Wednesday and 50% on Tuesday/Thursday with Friday as an eLearning only day. Only 8 or 9 kids in a classroom. Teachers required to wear masks and cannot walk around the room.

I give that 3 weeks before shit happens and the whole school is shut down due to exposure quarantines.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
English travellers will be free to take their much-longed-for summer holidays without facing a 14-day quarantine under plans being announced on Friday by the Government.

The Transport Secretary will publish a list of more than 60 countries where the Government proposes to abandon its quarantine policy and open up the borders to free travel.

A preparatory draft list of 55 of the countries, seen by The Telegraph, includes these:

Latvia, San Marino, Poland, Austria, Norway, Italy, Hungary, Turkey, Switzerland, Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Cyprus, Malta, Iceland, Slovakia, Serbia, Germany, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Reunion, Australia, Finland, St Pierre and Miquelon, Andorra, New Zealand, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Gibraltar, Spain, Greece, St Kitts and Nevis, Martinique, Monaco, St Lucia, Canada, Wallis and Futuna, Trinidad and Tobago, Montenegro, Bermuda, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, French Polynesia, Denmark, Belgium, Estonia, France, Malaysia, Ireland, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas and Barbados.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/03/full-list-countries-exempt-uk-travel-quarantine/
Some of those countries most likely won't allow Brits anyway, others rely on our tourism for their economy.

Interesting that Portugal look likely to miss out.

NinjaFletch

We're a country of idiots.
Run by them, certainly.

That said, I'm not convinced by the need for a mask on most of the situations we are currently allowed out in. Even including trips to the shops (I've largely been relying on a small Tesco Express since lockdown) I don't think I've spent more than 15 minutes indoors anywhere other than my house for nigh on 4 months now, I imagine that's true for a lot of the population.