SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The funniest part is that the Lone Ranger wore a mask over his eyes, not his mouth.
How else is Trump supposed to avoid seeing the daily brief regarding COVID and the Russian bounties? I think you might be on to something.

Edit:
As a side note, how f-ing appropriate is it that Dear Leader would chose a character with a racially problematic as fukc sidekick to meme himself with?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don’t worry guys, we’ve got this.

The Guvna just told South Carolina that if things continue as they are, he’s gonna have to cancel high school and college football in the fall.
Interesting to see where the NCAA go with all this. As you know I'm rather interested although the offspring is going to redshirt anyway as the fall season will either not happen or be rubbish. Basically the majority of next years juniors will redshirt and let the youngsters get some experience if the season happens. The other factor is that overseas recruitment is almost impossible at the moment. Although that sounds good for us as they won't be spending their budget which will allow us to get a full ride as opposed to 100% of fees :)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Encouraging results from Pfizer vaccine Phase I, published in a preprint today. Wouldn’t be too worried about fevers. Most vaccines can cause a fever. That’s what tends to happen when you fire up the immune system.
Let's hope Trump doesn't corner up the vaccine market too either by buying everything up or evoking the Defence Production act.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I thought I had heard somewhere that a number of the countries trying to find a vaccine had agreed to distribute it fairly once one is found so fingers crossed this would stop Trump being an arse yet again.

Carolina Red

Staff
Alabama students throwing 'COVID parties' to see who gets infected: Officials

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-s...-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I thought I had heard somewhere that a number of the countries trying to find a vaccine had agreed to distribute it fairly once one is found so fingers crossed this would stop Trump being an arse yet again.
If I woke up from a coma yesterday and read the stuff Trump has been doing, I would have sworn that he was either an agent of Russia or China. The long term damage he is doing to the country is immense.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If I woke up from a coma yesterday and read the stuff Trump has been doing, I would have sworn that he was either an agent of Russia or China. The long term damage he is doing to the country is immense.
If you had written his presidency as a fictional film script 10 years ago it wouldn't have got made for being too outlandish.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-s...-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514
Bama gunna Bama.

I have made a lot of bad choices in my life, but both moving to, and then getting the hell out of Bama were not among them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

They can have another game to see who can kill a grandparent the fastest.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just been hearing from a number of people in my area that oldham is one of the ones likely to be locked down.
Oldham's numbers are high, but don't look nearly so extreme as Leicester's.
"Greater Manchester’s figure is 13.3 for the past seven days and falling. Rochdale's rate is highest, at 28.8; followed by Oldham, at 27.8. Trafford is lowest, at 3.4; followed by Wigan, at 4."

That's compared to the Leicester figure for the same week of 135 cases per 100,00 people.

It's also a turnaround from a few weeks ago when Bury was apparently a hotspot - not that they told anyone in Bury of course.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-news/bang-upto-date-covid-19-18522300

An interesting thing from the article is the note that Rochdale has opened a town centre testing station. That sounds like a useful example of local targeting - as is warning people who live in the area when numbers are rising.

Whereas I can't see how a local lockdown Oldham would do anything, except send people into Manchester.

fergieisold

Oldham's numbers are high, but don't look nearly so extreme as Leicester's.
"Greater Manchester’s figure is 13.3 for the past seven days and falling. Rochdale's rate is highest, at 28.8; followed by Oldham, at 27.8. Trafford is lowest, at 3.4; followed by Wigan, at 4."

That's compared to the Leicester figure for the same week of 135 cases per 100,00 people.

It's also a turnaround from a few weeks ago when Bury was apparently a hotspot - not that they told anyone in Bury of course.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-news/bang-upto-date-covid-19-18522300

An interesting thing from the article is the note that Rochdale has opened a town centre testing station. That sounds like a useful example of local targeting - as is warning people who live in the area when numbers are rising.

Whereas I can't see how a local lockdown Oldham would do anything, except send people into Manchester.
Yeh, I'd heard the rumours before seeing the figures. Leicester way out ahead! I guess the interesting thing will be what happens now in those places with a rate just under 30 with lockdown easing further this weekend. It'll be a very positive sign if these places don't have a rapid increase in cases!

fergieisold

Encouraging results from Pfizer vaccine Phase I, published in a preprint today. Wouldn’t be too worried about fevers. Most vaccines can cause a fever. That’s what tends to happen when you fire up the immune system.
Do they cause fevers as standard though? I've never had a problem with any vaccines - I don't think I'd be too happy having one that would be likely to cause a fever?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do they cause fevers as standard though? I've never had a problem with any vaccines - I don't think I'd be too happy having one that would be likely to cause a fever?
“Injection site reaction” (soreness/redness at the place where you’re injected) and fever would be the most common side effect of all vaccines. Dunno if you have kids but fevers are so common after a vaccination jab that parents are often advised to give some Calpol straight away, to take the edge off it. Some vaccines cause more of a reaction than others, though. The second chicken pox jab really flattened both my kids. It only lasts 24-48 hours, though. So it’s not a big deal.

fergieisold

“Injection site reaction” (soreness/redness at the place where you’re injected) and fever would be the most common side effect of all vaccines. Dunno if you have kids but fevers are so common after a vaccination jab that parents are often advised to give some Calpol straight away, to take the edge off it. Some vaccines cause more of a reaction than others, though. The second chicken pox jab really flattened both my kids. It only lasts 24-48 hours, though. So it’s not a big deal.
Interesting, I don't have young ones yet! I must have got lucky when I was younger with the various vaccines....although I remember the BCG, that hurt and left a scar!

Carolina Red

Staff
They can have another game to see who can kill a grandparent the fastest.
Yeah, fecking idiots. I mean, just... wow.

I’ve been trying to tell folks in public education in SC that this kinda thing is gonna happen with high schoolers too... they’re going to have house parties, so it won’t matter if we are actually able to successfully socially distance them and make them wear masks in school, they’re going to undo all of it at somebody’s house on a Saturday night.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, fecking idiots. I mean, just... wow.

I’ve been trying to tell folks in public education in SC that this kinda thing is gonna happen with high schoolers too... they’re going to have house parties, so it won’t matter if we are actually able to successfully socially distance them and make them wear masks in school, they’re going to undo all of it at somebody’s house on a Saturday night.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The amount of people who ask if you're going to a pub this weekend who then wait for your answer before declaring that they too don't think it's a good idea yet, makes me highly suspicious that they are in fact going to go to the pub this weekend.

Seeing as we couldn't even open McDonalds without some kind of mass hysteria kicking in I expect things will get quite silly.