g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wolverine

So today in PPE-related "things that should be a bigger deal than they will be"

Many NHS staff were supplied with expired surgical facemasks with concealed "best before" stickers on them
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-of-date-expiry-cover-stickers-a9447306.html
We were told that they had an extension but were safe after testing, this is from NHS England supply chain website

Some of the FFP3 Respirators and Type IIR masks have been subject to a certified shelf life extension programme with the manufacturer, and should have additional labels with the new expiry date on the boxes.In the management of this stock, it has been considered prudent that Public Health England works with manufacturers to extend the life of their masks where possible. This is through a formal scientific testing programme, including accelerated aging, which allows for appropriate over-labelling with a later expiry date as specified by the manufacturer.
News in today though
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gp...ace-masks-after-faults-found/20041085.article

The MHRA has issued an alert telling GPs to throw away batches of facemasks distributed to practices after they were re-labelled with new expiry dates, Pulse has learned.
The Type IIR facemasks from supplier Cardinal Health pose a ‘risk’ to staff wearing the mask if the foam strip on the mask flakes and enters the mouth or airways, said the MHRA after assessing the products.
Practices, which have been using the masks, have now been asked to dispose of them locally. Six out of the seven batches tested did not pass an inspection of the foam strip, according to the alert.

F-Red

So today in PPE-related "things that should be a bigger deal than they will be"

Many NHS staff were supplied with expired surgical facemasks with concealed "best before" stickers on them
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-of-date-expiry-cover-stickers-a9447306.html
We were told that they had an extension but were safe after testing, this is from NHS England supply chain website
That's old news, reports of that was happening some weeks into the lockdown.

F-Red

cj_sparky

Just seeing the posts regarding PPE.

Can anyone who works in the NHS tell me, do Nurse, Doctors and other staff get face fitted for their specific masks?

redshaw

What’s the difference between pillar 1 and pillar 2 data?
NHS/workers and public
  • Pillar 1: swab testing in Public Health England (PHE) labs and NHS hospitals for those with a clinical need, and health and care workers
  • Pillar 2: swab testing for the wider population, as set out in government guidance
  • Pillar 3: serology testing to show if people have antibodies from having had COVID-19
  • Pillar 4: serology and swab testing for national surveillance supported by PHE, ONS, Biobank, universities and other partners to learn more about the prevalence and spread of the virus and for other testing research purposes, for example on the accuracy and ease of use of home testing
These different routes are administered in different ways and that has an influence on how they are reported. Reporting is described in more detail below.

Pillar 1 data for England is provided by the NHS and Public Health England, and data from the devolved administrations are provided by the Department of Health of Northern Ireland, the Scottish Government, and Public Health Wales.

Public Health Wales provide combined pillar 1 and pillar 2 data.

Pillar 2 data for the UK (excluding Wales) is collected by commercial partners.

Pillar 3 data is provided for England by NHS England and Improvement (NHSEI).

Pillar 4 data is collected by the NHS, PHE, and individual research study leads for the UK.

Tests in the UK are carried out through a number of different routes. Tests are measured and reported in different ways depending on the route and how they are administered.

All tests in pillar 1 are counted at the point they are processed by a lab. Nose and throat swabs are counted as one sample.

Tests in pillars 2 and 4 are administered in 2 different ways and therefore fall into 2 categories, those that are counted when they are despatched and those that are counted when they are processed by a lab. As in pillar 1, pillar 2 nose and throat swabs are counted as one sample. Pillar 4 tests, depending on the study, either counts swabs or blood samples.

Tests in pillar 3 are counted at the point when they are processed by a lab. Blood samples are taken and processed in laboratories.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
NHS workers and public

• Pillar 1: swab testing in Public Health England (PHE) labs and NHS hospitals for those with a clinical need, and health and care workers
  • Pillar 2: swab testing for the wider population, as set out in government guidance
  • Pillar 3: serology testing to show if people have antibodies from having had COVID-19
  • Pillar 4: serology and swab testing for national surveillance supported by PHE, ONS, Biobank, universities and other partners to learn more about the prevalence and spread of the virus and for other testing research purposes, for example on the accuracy and ease of use of home testing
These different routes are administered in different ways and that has an influence on how they are reported. Reporting is described in more detail below.

Pillar 1 data for England is provided by the NHS and Public Health England, and data from the devolved administrations are provided by the Department of Health of Northern Ireland, the Scottish Government, and Public Health Wales.

Public Health Wales provide combined pillar 1 and pillar 2 data.

Pillar 2 data for the UK (excluding Wales) is collected by commercial partners.

Pillar 3 data is provided for England by NHS England and Improvement (NHSEI).

Pillar 4 data is collected by the NHS, PHE, and individual research study leads for the UK.

Tests in the UK are carried out through a number of different routes. Tests are measured and reported in different ways depending on the route and how they are administered.

All tests in pillar 1 are counted at the point they are processed by a lab. Nose and throat swabs are counted as one sample.

Tests in pillars 2 and 4 are administered in 2 different ways and therefore fall into 2 categories, those that are counted when they are despatched and those that are counted when they are processed by a lab. As in pillar 1, pillar 2 nose and throat swabs are counted as one sample. Pillar 4 tests, depending on the study, either counts swabs or blood samples.

Tests in pillar 3 are counted at the point when they are processed by a lab. Blood samples are taken and processed in laboratories.
Interesting. Thanks. Might be genuine logistical reason why pillar 1 data more readily available than pillar 2?

F-Red

Interesting. Thanks. Might be genuine logistical reason why pillar 1 data more readily available than pillar 2?
Pillar 1 has accuracy which is why they're reporting it. Pillar 2 (drive through and home tests mainly) is double counting people being tested in some cases, both tests carried out and a positive being identified. We also had the fiasco of the government counting a test as something that was in the postal system as well. It suggests that they have no clue of a number in terms of number of people being carried out hence why they're not reporting the data.

They last had Pillar 2 data on the 22nd of May, logistical reasons would be maybe a week or so to fix, the fact it's going on this long suggests a cover up of data by the government. Unfortunately at a local level, pillar 2 data is critical to manage infection rates for those not requiring hospital treatment.

Wolverine

That's old news, reports of that was happening some weeks into the lockdown.
The news regarding the masks being not fit for purpose despite NHSE reassurance that they were is new (just published on pulse today)
We knew months ago yes that we had been given masks that had shelf life extended but were told at the time that they were fine to use after testing

Wolverine

Can anyone who works in the NHS tell me, do Nurse, Doctors and other staff get face fitted for their specific masks?
Anybody who works in covid specific wards that are likely to have aerosol generation procedures need an FFP3 masks for which fit testing is mandatory (e.g. staff working shifts in ITU, resus, respiratory ward)

Fit testing are pretty often failed or for example if staff have beards for religious reasons but for the former those people usually get testing with an alternative respiratory mask model otherwise they need a hood

cj_sparky

Anybody who works in covid specific wards that are likely to have aerosol generation procedures need an FFP3 masks for which fit testing is mandatory (e.g. staff working shifts in ITU, resus, respiratory ward)

Fit testing are pretty often failed or for example if staff have beards for religious reasons but for the former those people usually get testing with an alternative respiratory mask model otherwise they need a hood
Cheers, have wondered.

I get face fitted at work for the two types of masks we use. So was curious how it transferred from the construction industry into the NHS.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
America has just bought all the world’s supplies of remdisivir. The rest of the world will have to wait at least another three months before they can order any.

Not too fussed (as I’m not impressed by the data) but suspect this is a taste of things to come if/when an effective vaccine gets developed. International relations could get very nasty.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Pillar 1 has accuracy which is why they're reporting it. Pillar 2 (drive through and home tests mainly) is double counting people being tested in some cases, both tests carried out and a positive being identified. We also had the fiasco of the government counting a test as something that was in the postal system as well. It suggests that they have no clue of a number in terms of number of people being carried out hence why they're not reporting the data.

They last had Pillar 2 data on the 22nd of May, logistical reasons would be maybe a week or so to fix, the fact it's going on this long suggests a cover up of data by the government. Unfortunately at a local level, pillar 2 data is critical to manage infection rates for those not requiring hospital treatment.
Not to mention that people might well legitimately have more than one test.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

F-Red

America has just bought all the world’s supplies of remdisivir. The rest of the world will have to wait at least another three months before they can order any.

Not too fussed (as I’m not impressed by the data) but suspect this is a taste of things to come if/when an effective vaccine gets developed. International relations could get very nasty.
From what I've read of the drug its not convincing enough to justify America's action, I can't help but feel its a knee jerk in response of polls and rising cases there.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

I live in Hammersmith.

Oddly enough I felt a little ill earlier and brushed it off.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

To be fair we might need it more than anyone else other than Latin America at this rate, and Donald might share with his brother from another mother in Brazil.

Cynical jokes aside, you have to be worried about the Americas right now...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Victoria locks down again after spike in infections - 60-70 new infections a day for the last few days. 10 Melbourne postcodes locked down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06...hotspot-local-lockdowns-in-melbourne/12407138
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ced-as-victoria-battles-coronavirus-outbreaks

It also sounds like what community transmission there was in May/June was due to staff at a quarantine hotel ignoring procedures and getting themselves infected and then spreading it around.

New South Wales has just announced that people who live in those Victorian postcodes are prohibited from visiting NSW with $11,000 fines or 6 months in prison the potential penalty. The same penalties apply if people from NSW visit those postcodes and return.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I live in Hammersmith.

Oddly enough I felt a little ill earlier and brushed it off.
Not sure how that is news, the inevitability of local clusters/lockdowns isn't being contested by even the most optimistic experts, anyone with even basic knowledge of this pandemic knew it was coming at some point.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure how that is news, the inevitability of local clusters/lockdowns isn't being contested by even the most optimistic experts, anyone with even basic knowledge of this pandemic knew it was coming at some point.
I wish this attitude was adopted for Liverpool’s title win.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If everyone in England had this “basic knowledge” you refer to then the country would be in better shape than it is right now. Making this a front page headline is important as there are clearly a lot of people out there who are either completely ignorant or in denial about the threat of this virus.

Most of the drugs are not actually manufactured in the US (or at least their ingredients are not) and the method is not a secret. I suspect what will happen is countries that do manufacture will block their export, and others will force their own manufacturers to make them regardless of whether they have a licence or not.

We already saw a little bit of that with India.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Most of the drugs are not actually manufactured in the US (or at least their ingredients are not) and the method is not a secret. I suspect what will happen is countries that do manufacture will block their export, and others will force their own manufacturers to make them regardless of whether they have a licence or not.

We already saw a little bit of that with India.
With chloroquine? Yup. There was a lot of horse trading going on, early in the pandemic, to try and keep the normal supply chains going. That’s the sort of thing I’m getting at. Can you imagine how frustrating it will be if an effective vaccine is available and your country has to wait 6 months or more for the first supplies to arrive?

F-Red

They're rolling out training to all staff in the NHS now on mask fitting, my other half has her's today.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't see how it's not news. Just because people knew it was coming doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported.

Weird take.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
How can they still not know how many people they have tested?

That is a vital part of the globally accepted method of managing the virus.
My company is carrying out Antigen testing for NHS and local GP surgery staff. As far as I can see this is just a screening for their facilities' workforce, knowing the staff are clear. We don't have to report the results or test numbers to anyone other than the facilities we are testing for. I'm not sure if they are then reporting upwards though.

Fluctuation0161

My company is carrying out Antigen testing for NHS and local GP surgery staff. As far as I can see this is just a screening for their facilities' workforce, knowing the staff are clear. We don't have to report the results or test numbers to anyone other than the facilities we are testing for. I'm not sure if they are then reporting upwards though.
Cheers. Good work. It is vital that medical staff are tested.

The lack of coordination from the top really concerns me. We really should know how many people have been tested each day. It was a specific government target from a couple of months ago but once the target was missed for a few weeks they stopped sharing the figures.

Even the continuation of lockdown is Leicester is being reported by the Leicester mayor as being communicated in a 1am email without consultation and without clear reasoning.

Coordinated and efficient management if outbreaks and high testing is part of the global strategy.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Cheers. Good work. It is vital that medical staff are tested.

The lack of coordination from the top really concerns me. We really should know how many people have been tested each day. It was a specific government target from a couple of months ago but once the target was missed for a few weeks they stopped sharing the figures.

Even the continuation of lockdown is Leicester is being reported by the Leicester mayor as being communicated in a 1am email without consultation and without clear reasoning.

Coordinated and efficient management if outbreaks and high testing is part of the global strategy.
When we offered to do it, it was because we have a PCR machine in one of our labs. We usually use this for plant screening but the tech is exactly the same, you can screen for anything as long as you have the standards available.

We saw the appeal for PCR operators and when we applied we expected loads of help and advice but it was all pretty unhelpful and we even have had to find our own test subjects and swab sources. It's been pretty tricky, we expected much more guidance.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When we offered to do it, it was because we have a PCR machine in one of our labs. We usually use this for plant screening but the tech is exactly the same, you can screen for anything as long as you have the standards available.

We saw the appeal for PCR operators and when we applied we expected loads of help and advice but it was all pretty unhelpful and we even have had to find our own test subjects and swab sources. It's been pretty tricky, we expected much more guidance.
This pandemic has surely brought home how disjointed and devoid of leadership the whole system is

in my last job, as private companies we had to produce a disaster recovery plan for every individual client should something happen to the building under multiple different scenarios. We had to go into minute detail for everything.

surely the government and various services game plan this shit out into a plan that one can follow in the event of emergency? Nope.
It’s like a carry on movie

Tibs

Sky saying that there might be more local lockdowns in the coming days?

If so, better to do it before the mess that is going to greet us on Saturday.

Fluctuation0161

Seems to be a common theme, sadly. Disjointed leadership.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/leicester-lockdown-questions-90-coronavirus-22281864