SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

prateik

I'm just not sure there are enough “absolutes“ or knowns with this novel virus or potential vaccines to be saying one set of people is “right” or “wrong” and that one set of people shouldn’t be allowed a say.
Not knowing is totally fine.. Claiming to know better than the scientists, when one has no data to back it up, is not.

Anything that will be approved will meet the safety standards and the data will be verified and peer reviewed. There is no room for conspiracy here.

Tony Babangida

I'm just not sure there are enough “absolutes“ or knowns with this novel virus or potential vaccines to be saying one set of people is “right” or “wrong” and that one set of people shouldn’t be allowed a say.

For the record, I don’t agree with them and will be happy to be vaccinated once a safe vaccine is available
I agree with you, there are understandable worries about the speed with which these vaccines are being developed and there should be debate about covid. I don’t have any problem with people expressing those opinions. I think it’s good that it’s talked so people can get genuine information about how the vaccine trials are being conducted and make informed decisions. For the record the trials are being conducted extremely rigorously and time isn’t being saved on the phase 3, it is being saved by overlapping all the phases, regulatory approval, and manufacture. I personally would be happy to take any vaccine that makes it through the phase 3. Vaccines also have an extremely good track record of safety. So although worrying about speed of development is understandable, it is ultimately unfounded.

But that is not the same as the organised anti-vaccination movement, who trot out pseudoscience and lies. That is what I think shouldn’t be given a platform. I have seen a family member take up this line of thinking and it’s pretty distressing watching them essentially get radicalised by Facebook and YouTube.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If everyone deleted Facebook the world would be a better place. What value does it add to people’s lives? It’s come a long way from being a better version of friends reunited.
Without a shadow of a doubt.

Arguably the greatest positive contribution to society any one individual could make would be if Zuckerberg pressed the giant red “off” button hidden in his desk and shut down FB/Instagram permanently. All the better if he could get Jack Dorsey on board and simultaneously kill Twitter. That’s the Nobel Peace Prize right there.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I do think the whole take action so Christmas isn't cancelled is daft, what lockdown now so we can all just mingle for 1 day and spread the virus again so we have to lockdown again! utterly mental!

The approach needs to be about the long term not just so people can have a jolly up to celebrate a fictional character's supposed birthday!

Don't Kill Bill

I am home from work to self isolate as my son has tested positive. Test and trace doesn't accept his test code as positive because his wife booked the tests and she has tested negative. they were only given one code? Grandson is also unwell and I would book a test for all of us as we are child minders for him and have been exposed but I should only get one if I have symptoms which no one in our house has.

We were all at my dads funeral on Monday as well.

Bit stressed at the moment.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I am home from work to self isolate as my son has tested positive. Test and trace doesn't accept his test code as positive because his wife booked the tests and she has tested negative. they were only given one code? Grandson is also unwell and I would book a test for all of us as we are child minders for him and have been exposed but I should only get one if I have symptoms which no one in our house has.

Sounds rough mate, hope your feeling better soon

Jericholyte2

Today's UK figures:

Deaths - 310
Positive Cases - 24,701
Patients in Hospital - 9,520
Patients admitted in last 24hrs - 1,227
Patients on ventilator beds - 902

fecking grim! There surely has to be a full 2nd lockdown. I remember when Valance was laughed at for suggesting deaths could go back to over 200 by mid-November.

TheGame

Today's UK figures:

Deaths - 310
Positive Cases - 24,701

fecking grim! There surely has to be a full 2nd lockdown. I remember when Valance was laughed at for suggesting deaths could go back to over 200 by mid-November.
Where did you get the hospital stats from?

Dave_MUFC

Today's UK figures:

Deaths - 310
Positive Cases - 24,701

Yep, and people laughed when they said ~50,000 confirmed cases by mid November, saying that would only be the outcome if there were zero policies in place to help stop the spread, and it's only worst case scenario via modelling etc.

Yet here we are...

What I struggle to comprehend is the sheer amount of people I know that are just getting along with their life as normal, going out to places to eat and drink indoors etc. Starting to hear a lot of people around getting positive tests for the virus, so I wouldn't be so blase.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Sorry for your loss. May he RIP

Virgil

So am I hearing right. In Germany Merkel is saying that in several regions Track and Trace is not working. Seems the experts were correct that T&T only works when numbers are low.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I had a look at early posts in this thread and even at the beginning there are a lot of people talking about social distancing, masks, protecting the elderly etc but also early on comments about irresponsible people who have no regard for others. Sadly it seems those themes even though they were understood early are still problems.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Yeah myself and others argued at the time about not judging those who can't afford to see their income fall. Some may well be in a position to but for millions of people across the country that simply isn't the case, they're on the precipice as it is and our SSP is a joke and not fit for purpose. I hope a consequence of COVID will be that we realise as a country how our benefits system and systems of support for people who need it is in need of a major overhaul and action is taken. Wishful thinking most likely, however.
Your benefits system will improve when your tax rates match that of western Europe, until then, forget it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
:lol: so they only put the new tier system in two weeks ago and already they need to change it. No wonder nobody listens to them.
Tier 1+ is only a very minor additional measure that the Bristol Mayor is implementing.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So you’re all up for free speech as long as it’s the same as your opinion?

Are you being serious?

The young lady I mentioned is convincing thousands of people that every single vaccine in existence is dangerous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I had a look at early posts in this thread and even at the beginning there are a lot of people talking about social distancing, masks, protecting the elderly etc but also early on comments about irresponsible people who have no regard for others. Sadly it seems those themes even though they were understood early are still problems.
Another recurring theme from Feb/March seems to be faffing around in the uk while their nearest neighbours are more decisive. There’s been a lot of people in Ireland very annoyed about much stricter rules re restaurants/pubs and gathering over the last few weeks but they seem to be doing the trick, with fewer people in hospital today than yesterday and daily cases flat/declining over the last week.

Obviously a lot that can still go wrong but I think we’ll end up being pleased about being so decisive. Just a massive pain in the arse having such close connections with a country that seems to be making the same mistakes all over again. We really need to find a way to control our borders better than we have done up until now.

cyberman

Another recurring theme from Feb/March seems to be faffing around in the uk while their nearest neighbours are more decisive. There’s been a lot of people in Ireland very annoyed about much stricter rules re restaurants/pubs and gathering over the last few weeks but they seem to be doing the trick, with fewer people in hospital today than yesterday and daily cases flat/declining over the last week.

Obviously a lot that can still go wrong but I think we’ll end up being pleased about being so decisive. Just a massive pain in the arse having such close connections with a country that seems to be making the same mistakes all over again. We really need to find a way to control our borders better than we have done up until now.
Northern Ireland are close to giving up and thats a major problem. Theyll soon be a stalemate with DUP becoming more and more anti mask never mind measures and its on the cusp of becoming a secterian issue. Christmas is going to be a nightmare up here.

Tibs

Social media is the fecking problem.
Too many arseholes with too much airtime and exposure when they actually have no fecknig clue about actual facts. Thats what makes me so angry.
Without social media the world would be a better place
Thisvirus is really clever you know. It only comes after you if theres morethna 6 of you, or if it's after 10pm

These kind of comments piss me off on FB

Bosws87

National lockdown got to be coming in the next week after the French and German announcements.

Too much external pressure.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
France's lockdown is back.
At least the leaders of France and Germany are taking decisive action. Germany with half of new cases and one quarter of deaths compared with the UK.
But Boris is as usual not brave enough to admit that he has got it completely wrong and has lost control of the pandemic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At least the leaders of France and Germany are taking decisive action. Germany with half of new cases and one quarter of deaths compared with the UK.
But Boris is as usual not brave enough to admit that he has got it completely wrong and has lost control of the pandemic.
I wouldn't praise the leader of France, he should have taken that decision a few weeks ago.

acnumber9

Thisvirus is really clever you know. It only comes after you if theres morethna 6 of you, or if it's after 10pm

These kind of comments piss me off on FB
It would be easier to take what the Government say at face value if they hadn’t been caught lying several times.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Northern Ireland are close to giving up and thats a major problem. Theyll soon be a stalemate with DUP becoming more and more anti mask never mind measures and its on the cusp of becoming a secterian issue. Christmas is going to be a nightmare up here.
Feck me. Really?! How predictable that those cnuts end up being the bad guys.

Fingeredmouse

Well, they'll make excellent pantomime villains.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Today's UK figures:

Deaths - 310
Positive Cases - 24,701

I just don't get where the money comes from to pay for it? The countries borrowing is already basically the highest in history, add another lockdown to that and how do we pay for things like the NHS going forward?
Plus lockdowns have been shown to only be a temporary fix soon as you start to open up again it just goes to pot again.
So what do we do just keep having a lockdown every few months until we are utterly bankrupt?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Your benefits system will improve when your tax rates match that of western Europe, until then, forget it.
That's not the British way, it's dodge tax at all costs and kick up a massive fuss if any aspect of the national infrastructure isn't 100% shiny! I really hate my country sometimes!

Jericholyte2

I just don't get where the money comes from to pay for it? The countries borrowing is already basically the highest in history, add another lockdown to that and how do we pay for things like the NHS going forward?
Plus lockdowns have been shown to only be a temporary fix soon as you start to open up again it just goes to pot again.
So what do we do just keep having a lockdown every few months until we are utterly bankrupt?
I don’t have the answers to any of the points which are valid, but seeing the government’s own reports showing how the biggest spikes are in education and workplace settings (and having a wife/family/friends who work in education) whilst they steadfastly say they’re both staying open no matter what.

If this is the absolute redline in place then there has to be a trade-off, we cannot have schools and workplaces and pubs and restaurants and gyms and leisure centres and shops all open at the same time, no matter the arbitrary closures in place.

You either have schools open and close off other sectors, or accept that schools may have to close again.

Again, I accept there is no easy or all-encompassing answer to this, but what’s happening at present is clearly not working. We’re seeing increasing lockdown restrictions over wider areas of the country but the numbers just keep on jumping higher and higher. Hospitals are getting more and more loaded again and we need something to break this cycle, otherwise the other option is letting the virus run through us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You won’t go bankrupt. You’ll borrow money. Or print it.