SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Couldn't agree with you more. Let us remember that 42 days ago when the scientists called for a Circuit Breaker of two to three weeks, the deaths were 11.
Most incompetent government and PM in history.
Yep! They then proceeded to mock labour and used it as a political weapon. Now look at us under Welsh Labour, out of lockdown Monday and county lockdown ends too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's a stretch. If you look at all the boards politicians sit on you won't have many companies left. It's a non story.
It’s almost like politicians shouldn’t be sitting on boards of corporations while they have to make these decisions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yep! They then proceeded to mock labour and used it as a political weapon. Now look at us under Welsh Labour, out of lockdown Monday and county lockdown ends too.
Good news for Wales. Despite that, I do wish that the UK operated as a Union instead of the separate countries.
Anyway. It is becoming clear that Boris has made lots of enemies within his party. I do feel that if this semi lockdown does not work and he is forced to extend it beyond December, Boris could easily be faced with a vote of no confidence. Bring it on..

Tibs

If a Vaccine is close, it'll be the way out of this lockdown (no way in 4 weeks this will end)

What happens if NHS staff refuse to take it? On grounds of not enough testing on it?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have heard it from a source that is actively working on a vaccine that it will be ready for December, possibly at the end of this month.

The newspaper headlines are true, and barring any last minute hitches, NHS front line workers will get the vaccine.
All sounds very promising now and not just the press jumping the gun. I presume if roll out to NHS starts sometime in December it won't be too long into next year before general population start getting the jab?

Next 2-3 months are going to be very s*** but that's the light at the end of the tunnel you have to cling onto.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
All sounds very promising now and not just the press jumping the gun. I presume if roll out to NHS starts sometime in December it won't be too long into next year before general population start getting the jab?

Next 2-3 months are going to be very s*** but that's the light at the end of the tunnel you have to cling onto.
Yeah, they said to me January at latest for the most vulnerable with views to a spring time/March/April roll out time for the general population.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If a Vaccine is close, it'll be the way out of this lockdown (no way in 4 weeks this will end)

What happens if NHS staff refuse to take it? On grounds of not enough testing on it?
Hopefully medical professionals will know enough to know that the compressed testing doesn't compromise safety as the normally longer phase 3 testing is primarily to more precisely and accurately assess effectiveness. We can't afford to delay for a year or 3 to know if effectiveness is +/- 1% of the initial figure.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My friend's wife is in intensive care as she gave premature birth last week and got infected while being very weak. She's been in coma since last week and it's looking very grim. I'm devastated, praying she pulls through. She's 30. Two kids. Feels like I was drunk at their wedding yesterday. :(

We are also going into harder lockdown and idiots are once again on the streets protesting against plandemic. We are at 24k cases per day, if we go to 30k we will be in hard lockdown.
Really sorry to hear that, hope she pulls through.

Virgil

Unless Wales have the R number below 1 come Monday then your crowing will mean diddly squat. I will keep my fingers crossed that the decision proves to be the right one.

Berbasbullet

Unless Wales have the R number below 1 come Monday then your crowing will mean diddly squat. I will keep my fingers crossed that the decision proves to be the right one.
No, not by Monday, things will be relatively the same R number wise, apparently we won’t see the full effects until the end of the month.

Regardless though, what I appreciate is that Mark Drakeford has said we’re gonna try this lockdown, it might not work but we gotta slow down the spread and then review at the end of the month, and maybe back into lockdown, this is what leadership looks like. It might not work but it’s a solid plan, and took an unpopular decision.

None of this world beating, were so brilliant crap.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hopefully medical professionals will know enough to know that the compressed testing doesn't compromise safety as the normally longer phase 3 testing is primarily to more precisely and accurately assess effectiveness. We can't afford to delay for a year or 3 to know if effectiveness is +/- 1% of the initial figure.
The opposite is actually the case. You can get a good idea about efficacy early (if it’s a very effective drug) but longer term data, with higher numbers of subjects exposed, is how you get a better understanding of the safety profile.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The opposite is actually the case. You can get a good idea about efficacy early (if it’s a very effective drug) but longer term data, with higher numbers of subjects exposed, is how you get a better understanding of the safety profile.
I'll see if I can find the article but it was a direct quote more or less from a virologist. He said that it is now very rare indeed for serious side effects not to show within 2 months but efficacy date often needed years to be really precise or accurate (I can't remember which) or maybe both.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'll see if I can find the article but it was a direct quote more or less from a virologist. He said that it is now very rare indeed for serious side effects not to show within 2 months but efficacy date often needed years to be really precise or accurate (I can't remember which) or maybe both.
Hmmm. Maybe it’s different for vaccines? Can’t think why though. The more people get exposed to a new drug the better your chance of uncovering rare, serious adverse events (which is particularly important for drugs given to very large numbers of not sick people)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hmmm. Maybe it’s different for vaccines? Can’t think why though. The more people get exposed to a new drug the better your chance of uncovering rare, serious adverse events (which is particularly important for drugs given to very large numbers of not sick people)
I don't know and I was only going on the quote although it seemed a solid source at the time.

I'd guess it might be true but only as far as it goes. Rare is a relative term as well and as you say the longer the testing the greater the chance of identifying very rare side effects.

It was definitely in the context of the wisdom of the rapid approval of a covid vaccine and his point was that worrying about safety wasn't the big concern but effectiveness was less certain.

Of course the benefits of an effective vaccine with very rare but serious side effects is probably worth it to control or vastly reduce the impact of covid but that is a different if connected argument.

Dammit - I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
On a side note. Can’t believe we still have fecking mink farms! Puts all the western sneering at China’s wet markets into perspective.
Incidentally I think the main market for mink fur is China.
Anyway, yeah I'm not a fan of mink farms.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Golf courses shut and Tennis (even outside) banned during lockdown.

Pathetic!

Tony Babangida

Good thread on “Danish mink mutation”

tl;dr Hopefully not a big deal but potentially worrying because of location of mutation (spike protein that Ab’s bind to) and the fact that Denmark have responded with such extreme measures.
Pretty irresponsible of Denmark not to immediately disseminate whatever information they are acting on.

Edit: never mind just read the second Twitter thread you posted.

Double edit: but they still don’t seem to have shared the actual data they have. That seems pretty important to disseminate, wonder why they haven’t.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pretty irresponsible of Denmark not to immediately disseminate whatever information they are acting on.

Edit: never mind just read the second Twitter thread you posted.

Double edit: but they still don’t seem to have shared the actual data they have. That seems pretty important to disseminate, wonder why they haven’t.
If you scroll down the second thread they do talk about notifying the WHO etc so maybe they intend sharing the data via that route? I’m actually a bit confused about the best way data likes these get shared nowadays. Would it be via a preprint on some sort of open source platform?

Murray3007

Furlough extended to march. They clearly dont think this is going away
actually think 2021 will be worse then 2020, can only see things getting worse, any vaccine is really just going to be a massive gamble as wont have been able to be tested properly.

RedRover

Furlough extended to march. They clearly dont think this is going away
It isn't going away. Mass vaccination won't begin until March at best estimates.

Extending Furlough gives the economy a chance of bouncing back by protecting jobs. It's a good decision, albeit I expect the Government won't be funding 80% of wages by March.

RedRover

It isn't going away. Mass vaccination won't begin until March at best estimates.

Extending Furlough gives the economy a chance of bouncing back by protecting jobs. It's a good decision, albeit I expect the Government won't be funding 80% of wages by March.

Santos J

Yeah it's being 'reviewed' in January with regards to employers contribution %.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I've stayed away from this page and COVID numbers as of late and just cracked on with work.
I had two patients, literally bed-neighbours, die within 2 minutes of each other today. Absolutely terrible. We were trying to help the first one, despite her being on maximal treatment (OptiFlow), and could see the gentleman next to her visibly entering the stages of dying in our eyes. Literally nothing we can do.

It's truly heartbreaking even after all these months. It's draining, and I'm absolutely shattered from those people who still don't take it seriously or those who say that "the government are releasing false numbers" or "ThEy pUt COVID oN the dEaTh cErtiFicAte even though they died of something else".

That is absolutely bollocks. In my 5 years of working as a doctor, I've completed more death certificates in the last 8 months than I have in the first 4 years of working combined - and not once have I put the words of COVID down unless that's the thing that's killed them.

I'm dreading the winter pressures already - our hospital is already beyond full capacity and the daily recording released the information that we have 102 COVID patients admitted at present. Granted, a certain percentage are asymptomatic who happen to have it along with another issue - but I'll tell you what - I'd love to see one of those patients round about now because I don't see them.

I completely understand that from a non-medical point of view, this is infuriating/terrible in a different manner to mine. Some people can't even work because of this. I couldn't imagine not working during the last few months. Staying at home with feck all to do for weeks intermittently sounds very shit.

Unfortunately, until a vaccine comes, people are going to have to accept this as a way of living for the time being.
Seeing a 50 and 60 odd year old dying today - with barely a medical co-morbidity to their name - is a daily reminder that it isn't a poxy virus.
I'm scared shitless for my parents. I don't want to see them just in case I manage to bring it to them on a strand of my hair.
Thanks for this. It's good to get a doctors perspective and direct experience.

Berbasbullet

Thanks for this. It's good to get a doctors perspective and direct experience.
Agreed, that’s a top post from clearly a caring person.

@Hernandez - BFA Can I ask you why you think that morons are saying ‘people are dying of something else but they’re putting Covid on the death certificate’?

My assumption was that Covid is what leads to other prevalent illnesses to become triggered and kill them, is that the case or am I way off?