SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
And what about those that have to travel?

My fiance is due to fly in on the 10th. She has a fiance visa which is one with an expiration date, she has had to quit her job, moved home (different country) for a bit to see her family so it's not like she can just stay where she is and work.

This idea of nobody in or out is ridiculous. Countries which have done well with lockdowns have kept borders open but actually managed how people come. negative tests before they fly and institutional qurantine. Banning people because the government is too stupid and lazy to implement is unfair.

Also in March etc. they weren't closed during the 'proper' lockdown
I’m sorry but there’s no good enough excuse for individuals having to travel. It can be heartbreaking but the risk of a new strain that the vaccines could potentially not deal with is enormous. Tens of thousands of people could die, again, if it gets out.

There’s been a new strain in the UK and we haven’t taken it seriously enough. We’ll see how that turns out.

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine if the government actually put into place a nationwide lockdown in the next couple of days and didn't wait till at least next week? I think I'd genuinely collapse from shock.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

My fiance is due to fly in on the 10th. She has a fiance visa which is one with an expiration date, she has had to quit her job, moved home (different country) for a bit to see her family so it's not like she can just stay where she is and work.

This idea of nobody in or out is ridiculous. Countries which have done well with lockdowns have kept borders open but actually managed how people come. negative tests before they fly and institutional qurantine. Banning people because the government is too stupid and lazy to implement is unfair.

They won't stop you but its to you to decide if its essential or not.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

The issue with people calling for borders to be closed is that they have no life or family outside of the UK. They don't know anything beyond the island.

LARulz

I’m sorry but there’s no good enough excuse for individuals having to travel. It can be heartbreaking but the risk of a new strain that the vaccines could potentially not deal with is enormous. Tens of thousands of people could die, again, if it gets out.

There’s been a new strain in the UK and we haven’t taken it seriously enough. We’ll see how that turns out.
No good excuse? People not being able to see their loved ones if they are sick, being stranded abroad, losing their jobs or getting thrown out of their education?

I'm sorry, but there are plenty of reasons. If you can't see how doing what more successful countries in lockdown's have done then that is silly. UK never shut its borders, fine, but they never did any requirements to enter. Almost all lockdown success countries kept travel restricted, not closed. You don't enter without a PCR test, you do one at the airport, you stay at a government hotel during quarantine etc. If people who are willing to travel with all these checks (at their expense), I can guarantee you their travel is essential

LARulz

The issue with people calling for borders to be closed is that they have no life or family outside of the UK. They don't know anything beyond the island.
Yeah I know which is why I try not to get too angry at that scenario. It's very much a case of 'it doesn't affect me so who cares -its not my problem'. If these people lost jobs, couldn't see a dying loved one or whatever, I am pretty sure they'd do a full 180.

People keep saying lockdown worked on March etc. I agree. But they should also remember borders remained open then too. UK's problem is they don't do any checks coming in, which is something they should do though I believe

saivet

This has been something that has baffled me since this all started. What are the reasons why they haven't done this, or even banned people coming from certain countries coming in? Is there a government position on this?

Tibs

Boris on TV tonight at 8pm, probably to announce a 3 week lockdown

DavelinaJolie

I know it can often be hard to get back into the swing of work after Xmas, but is anyone else struggling to find motivation right now?
Yeah, really struggling today. I've tried to get bits and bobs done through the day, but I know as soon as there is a lockdown I'll be on the phone most of the day, everyday.

Judas

Open to offers
Bit of a wild generalisation that. Really wild actually. Just because plenty of people want borders closed for a bit doesn't mean they're little England loving no passport having morons, which is what it seems you're implying.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I know it can often be hard to get back into the swing of work after Xmas, but is anyone else struggling to find motivation right now?
Man, I'm the most unproductive I've ever been. Struggling to be bothered to even reply to some basic work emails. It all seems a little bit pointless.
Yeah, me too. I get the impression everyone else is the same. Definitely a lot less “basic work emails” flying around than usual.
100%. I’d started mostly home working just before the pandemic and I was as productive as ever in November, but right now it’s just not there.
Same, ive been really unproductive, Im feeling very nihilistic about it all right now, firmly in the "we are all fecked as long as these clowns are in charge so whats the point in it all"

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yep. I clocked off midday as simply couldn’t get a thing done. This working from home stuff is really getting challenging now, particularly as it’s now my busiest time of the year

LARulz

Bit of a wild generalisation that. Really wild actually. Just because plenty of people want borders closed for a bit doesn't mean they're little England loving no passport having morons, which is what it seems you're implying.
People who want borders shut are generally (from my experience) not seeing the middle ground (institution quarantine, negative tests, ban tourist visa's) and the idea people genuinely have to travel

Again, the countries which did lockdown well still allowed people in/out. the just made sure they were safe to do so and weren't coming for a tourist trip.

Smores

Then what the ever loving feck was the point of sending them back in today? Holy shit, this clown needs to go. The whole lot of them need to go.
Politics, to look like they tried mainly. They'll say new data and those who want to use that as an excuse to let them off the hook will eagerly do so.

King Eric 7

We kept our boy off from primary school today and we were waiting to see how things played out. Will be quite relieved to see schools close for a bit, really. The school was very understanding and there were much fewer pupils in today apparently.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Then what the ever loving feck was the point of sending them back in today? Holy shit, this clown needs to go. The whole lot of them need to go.
Their decision making process since the pandemic began has been that of pushing towards herd immunity at any cost despite what they argue otherwise.

Literally every decision they make is the wrong one when it comes to containing the virus. One or two mistakes is understandable but I’ve lost count now of the times they have gone against their own experts advice or inexplicably delayed the best course of action for far too long and when the damage grows exponentially it’s beyond immoral and should be criminal. If it was the odd mistake I’d believe it was down to the difficult circumstances but it’s just relentlessly bad decision making and I refuse to believe it’s down to incompetence rather than a planned approach which disregards the importance of human life.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree it’s far from perfect, but what can we do realistically? Maybe the government could properly address some of those issues whilst closing the schools? I honestly don’t know. Keeping the schools open and allowing it to spread even further will just create further death.
It's one of those 50/50 debates really, probably 60/40 in favour of schools closing. It's only 3-4 weeks to Feb half term in normal times so it's only a short term with no exams bar re-sits in normal years.

How were Schools handled in countries like Spain and Italy during their lockdowns and then in last six months? Haven't seen much mentioned in media here about that bar they were also closed last spring/early summer.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not even surprised. Standard government cycle throughout this whole thing has been...

Do nothing > Recieve advice that something needs to be done > Go against advice/generally dither > Wait for Shadow PM to say something needs to be done > Wait for Scottish PM to do something > Leak to press that we'll be doing something > Announce what we already know

Do we even need a governemnt at this point?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's certainly been more of a slog compared to March-May where for how everything was so bad it was a novelty. That's what winter can do really.

January is usually a depressing month in normal times after all the celebrations of xmas/new year with many people broke (o.k perhaps just me!) so that adds to it although I'd rather get the 3-4 weeks of lockdown that is coming out of the way and hopefully by early Feb many millions have been vaccinated in some form and then you're just a further month off significant improvement then.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not even surprised. Standard government cycle throughout this whole thing has been...

Do nothing > Recieve advice that something needs to be done > Go against advice/generally dither > Wait for Shadow PM to say something needs to be done > Wait for Scottish PM to do something > Leak to press that we'll be doing something > Announce what we already know

Do we even need a governemnt at this point?
Pretty much. Sturgeon might as well be our PM :lol:

DavidDeSchmikes

It's March 2020 all over again, the UK governments haven't learnt anything, people still dying, cases still rising, inconsistent messaging, etc.

Then we're going to be told, "oh but we're in this together, just 2/3/4/5/6/ months to go, we're nearly there, we're all in this together, etc"

feck off

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's March 2020 all over again, the UK governments haven't learnt anything, people still dying, cases still rising, inconsistent messaging, etc.

Then we're going to be told, "oh but we're in this together, just 2/3/4/5/6/ months to go, we're nearly there, we're all in this together, etc"

feck off
Easter is coming will be the new message but no one will be holding the breath on that given the optimistic target is to vaccinate 30m people by then for more normality.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's one of those 50/50 debates really, probably 60/40 in favour of schools closing. It's only 3-4 weeks to Feb half term in normal times so it's only a short term with no exams bar re-sits in normal years.

How were Schools handled in countries like Spain and Italy during their lockdowns and then in last six months? Haven't seen much mentioned in media here about that bar they were also closed last spring/early summer.
I agree, there’s nothing we can do that perfectly solves the issue. The only positive is that surely this is one of the last times we need to lockdown with the vaccine coming in.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Their decision making process since the pandemic began has been that of pushing towards herd immunity at any cost despite what they argue otherwise.

Literally every decision they make is the wrong one when it comes to containing the virus. One or two mistakes is understandable but I’ve lost count now of the times they have gone against their own experts advice or inexplicably delayed the best course of action for far too long and when the damage grows exponentially it’s beyond immoral and should be criminal. If it was the odd mistake I’d believe it was down to the difficult circumstances but it’s just relentlessly bad decision making and I refuse to believe it’s down to incompetence rather than a planned approach which disregards the importance of human life.
Think you're probably giving them too much credit there.

Its a cabinet which was chosen to get one thing done really (the B word). They're not particularly technocratic or intelligent or competent. They're, for the most part, idealogues who seem to have little to contribute outside their pet project and who probably don't have that much respect for 'experts'.

Not to mention that the chief idiot amongst them is clearly not one for details or forward planning and has a total inability to give bad news.

United Hobbit

Boris is speaking at 8- surely we need to have full lock down?

Probably yet more tiers and to reitterate "schools are safe..."

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree, there’s nothing we can do that perfectly solves the issue. The only positive is that surely this is one of the last times we need to lockdown with the vaccine coming in.
Hopefully but will still be restrictions in place for many more months so it will just be back to something like tier 3 up to May.

By then many of the vulnerable population will have been vaccinated for 4-6 months so decent length to see if they've still got immunity or the new SA strain stops all that which we should all be praying won't be the case.

I assume then you start vaccinating all under 50s and it's a case of risk management.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Boris is speaking at 8- surely we need to have full lock down?

Probably yet more tiers and to reitterate "schools are safe..."
Schools closing immediately bar for key worker kids has already been leaked I think.

I'm expecting full lockdown so really don't see why he'd address the nation at prime time instead of just doing another press conference with Whitty and Vallance if it was yet more minor tweaking.

DavidDeSchmikes

Easter is coming will be the new message but no one will be holding the breath on that given the optimistic target is to vaccinate 30m people by then for more normality.
i'm not expecting that. The government lurches from one jingoistic message after another. Normality by Easter 2020/Christmas 2020, Easter 2021, rule Britannia etc. There will be some faux positive message about light at the end of the tunnel

Dan_F

I know a lot of schools were closed today, but it’s unforgivable that any went back, only to be told tonight that they’re closed. They’ve just allowed all the kids to mix and spread whatever has gone undetected over the Christmas period for a day.

Even if they are desperate to keep schools open, it would have made far more sense to keep them closed for a week or two after Christmas. At this point I don’t know why I’m surprised, but the government seems to reach new levels of incompetence each month.