SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
My test came back negative, and I have no desire to get that swab stuck back up my nose to confirm but I definitely have it.
No blocked nose and I have COMPLETELY lost smell, it is the worst ever, I can't enjoy a meal, it's depressing. How long did it take for you to get it back? How long for others who've had it?
I don't know how much longer I can take this, I love my food and not being to enjoy it is utterly depressing. I'd rather have the body pains and other stuff that to lose my smell and partially taste.
I’m hoping this is a joke.

Because you don’t definitely have Covid until you test positive. To be afraid of a Swab and expect to discuss your ‘illness’ online is so childish. Get another test. You’ll probably need another ten in the next 2 years. Harden up.

Ludens the Red

My test came back negative, and I have no desire to get that swab stuck back up my nose to confirm but I definitely have it.
No blocked nose and I have COMPLETELY lost smell, it is the worst ever, I can't enjoy a meal, it's depressing. How long did it take for you to get it back? How long for others who've had it?
I don't know how much longer I can take this, I love my food and not being to enjoy it is utterly depressing. I'd rather have the body pains and other stuff that to lose my smell and partially taste.
Dunno if I’m the only one but I quite enjoy sticking the stick up my nose. There’s a weird euphoria too it. It’s also quite a challenge to not sneeze when doing it. Ive used up all twenty of my home kits purely to experience shoving the stick up my nose.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In the Sydney outbreak 3 people in their 80's and 90's have tested positive but so far are not symptomatic which is pleasing.

sugar_kane

Based on the fairly terrifying case numbers in the UK in the past few weeks the deaths should be at 100+ per day by now going off the last peak - and are currently averaging about 15-20.

Hopefully this means the vaccines are doing a pretty damn good job.

Dan_F

Dunno if I’m the only one but I quite enjoy sticking the stick up my nose. There’s a weird euphoria too it. It’s also quite a challenge to not sneeze when doing it. Ive used up all twenty of my home kits purely to experience shoving the stick up my nose.
That’s probably as weird as not wanting to do it at all. It’s the throat part I can’t stand. I have a terrible gag reflex apparently.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That’s probably as weird as not wanting to do it at all. It’s the throat part I can’t stand. I have a terrible gag reflex apparently.
This is too easy...

Anyway @SirAnderson It seems like you have it. So just wait 10 days from your first symptom started. Then if by the end of 10 days you don't have any fever nor new symptom nor symptom getting worse, then you should be out of it. Just isolate yourself till that end of 10 days.

SirAnderson

This is too easy...

Anyway @SirAnderson It seems like you have it. So just wait 10 days from your first symptom started. Then if by the end of 10 days you don't have any fever nor new symptom nor symptom getting worse, then you should be out of it. Just isolate yourself till that end of 10 days.
Thanks @Isotope I have been isolating so far. It been about 8 days or so, my wife is positive and is over 12 days since see presented symptoms.
Have a question though, at what point is it no longer contagious? After 10 days?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If it’s like this during the summer, the winter is going to be another write off.

MDFC Manager

Haha. When it comes to bad smells, bin lorries would be an upgrade on my current job.

Bloody hell. It is a weird one. Good to not have to smell shit but then like you said it’s quite important in general to be able to smell shit. Have you tried retraining your sense of smell? Apparently that’s what you have to do.
No idea how retraining works, will have to look into it.

Are you a smoker (ex or current)? My brother in law is one (me too) and it's the same with him, he can't smell the shittier stuff

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thanks @Isotope I have been isolating so far. It been about 8 days or so, my wife is positive and is over 12 days since see presented symptoms.
Have a question though, at what point is it no longer contagious? After 10 days?
The official guidelines, at least in US, is to isolate at least 10 days since first symptom started, or 10 days since testing date if asymptomatic. If you are sure that your wife was infected with the same virus type as you (getting from the same source), then you are free to be in contact with her (assuming she's out of her isolation already); since her body has that immune system (for at least 2-3 months or so).

If you'll be in contact with high risk people, then I suggest to get retested by the end of 10 days, or to isolate for 14 days (and meet those conditions I said on early post). If not, 10 days seems like the magic number for isolation.

SirAnderson

The official guidelines, at least in US, is to isolate at least 10 days since first symptom started, or 10 days since testing date if asymptomatic. If you are sure that your wife was infected with the same virus type as you (getting from the same source), then you are free to be in contact with her; since her body still has that immune system.

If you'll be in contact with high risk people, then I suggest to get retested by the end of 10 days, or to isolate for 14 days (and meet those conditions I said on early post). If not, 10 days seems like the magic number for isolation.
Cool, thanks, pretty sure it came from the same source yeah. Appreciate the feedback.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Prob a silly question but why don’t we see new variants in Ireland? We are close to the U.K. and yet the U.K. keeps spawning new ones

Dan_F

This is too easy...

Yeah I threw it out there waiting for a childish reply from someone.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
After you're tested negatives on the PCR.

Normally it's 10 days minimum. But most of people would do 14 to be save.

If you can afford it and it's not a hassle on your nasal you can get tested everyday and once you're negative you're good to go.

X days minimum are just a guideline so you can have a rough estimation. But the clear line would be the test result.

Some remains positives longer than 10 days.

My wife wont take chances. She just did the 21 days and got tested on the 22nd just to be save.

Those pcr arent cheap here.

stw2022

Has she been wrong?
Sometimes yes, as every expert has. There’s definitely a niche in being overly optimistic and overly pessimistic that certain experts with social media presence have recognised is beneficial to their profile.

stw2022

Was one of her previous “pessimistic” threads that annoyed you her prediction in June that we’d see tens of thousands of cases every day by mid July?
Who said I’m annoyed? What a ridiculous thing to get precious about

But we went from acceptance cases would rise to pretending to be aghast cases were rising

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Who said I’m annoyed? What a ridiculous thing to get precious about

But we went from acceptance cases would rise to pretending to be aghast cases were rising
“precious “? What the feck are you on about now? I’m trying to understand what you mean by “pessimistic”. It seems to me you’ve mixed it up with the word “realistic”.

If you’ve actually followed Prof Pagel’s tweets you’ll have seen she was one of the first to focus on delta cases surging, while overall cases were falling. Which is how the UK ended up where it is now. The ability to see through larger trends and identify important underlying red flags is something we need more, not less of.

Obviously we all hope this surge of cases in the NE of England in older, vaccinated people is just some weird quirk of the data. But it’s definitely something that needs to be kept a very close eye on. Because this is exactly what the early signs of a new, vaccine resistant variant would look like. You’ll note that Prof Pagel didn’t specifically mention that possibility. Just asked if anyone had any ideas to explain what was going on. Which is not what you’d expect from someone who is being wilfully pessimistic.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Pogue Mahone
Genuine question - If I say that she is overly optimistic, would you be happy with my understanding of things? :)

The Firestarter

“precious “? What the feck are you on about now? I’m trying to understand what you mean by “pessimistic”. It seems to me you’ve mixed it up with the word “realistic”.

If you’ve actually followed Prof Pagel’s tweets you’ll have seen she was one of the first to focus on delta cases surging, while overall cases were falling. Which is how the UK ended up where it is now. The ability to see through larger trends and identify important underlying red flags is something we need more, not less of.

Obviously we all hope this surge of cases in the NE of England in older, vaccinated people is just some weird quirk of the data. But it’s definitely something that needs to be kept a very close eye on. Because this is exactly what the early signs of a new, vaccine resistant variant would look like. You’ll note that Prof Pagel didn’t specifically mention that possibility. Just asked if anyone had any ideas to explain what was going on. Which is not what you’d expect from someone who is being wilfully pessimistic.
Isn"t the UK overwhelmingly vaccinated with AZ?

The Firestarter

It is. And the PHE data published so far seems to show that AZ works well against the delta variant. Not as well as mRNA but well enough.
So I guess it remains to be seen if these new cases are in accordance with the expected efficacy of the AZ. But probably someone already did the numbers, I've not opened those tweets.

Dante

Average bang

This is scarily reminiscent of “something weird is happening in Kent” concerns from autumn last year :nervous:
Ah, feck. A new Geordie variant (hopefully called the pi variant).

If it's mainly affecting the over 30s, that could be bad news for people on the AZ vaccine.

F-Red

This is scarily reminiscent of “something weird is happening in Kent” concerns from autumn last year :nervous:
Im pretty sure the vaccination rate, in terms of percentage in the North East has been lower than other parts of the country.

Newcastle, currently the highest case rate per 100k, has a first dose rate of 68%.

Her commentary throughout this pandemic has always been a glass half empty though, so it does not surprise me that she’s picked up on this and not the more positive stories of hospitalisation stays being greatly reduced (both in admission and duration of stay). Thus a long term perspective of the health service being able to manage this better compared to previous waves.

Ludens the Red

No idea how retraining works, will have to look into it.

Are you a smoker (ex or current)? My brother in law is one (me too) and it's the same with him, he can't smell the shittier stuff
Think it was just to go around smelling certain things for an extended period. Also heard of eating lots of chillies. And nah not a smoker..

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So the Sunday papers are reporting that all restrictions will be lifted two weeks Monday in England.

Mask wearing gone.
All social distancing gone.

As much as I want things back to normal, this all seems very worrying with infection rates exploding again:(

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
So the Sunday papers are reporting that all restrictions will be lifted two weeks Monday in England.
That's just madness. While i realise we cant stay indoors forever, relaxation should be gradual. As soon as NL dropped the mask for everything but public transport, i'm one of the few that still wears one in the supermarket. I'm sure some people just think it's over and there is no longer a risk.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Mask wearing gone.
All social distancing gone.

As much as I want things back to normal, this all seems very worrying with infection rates exploding again:(
This will lead to another lockdown in October and Boris will be finished.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Isn"t the UK overwhelmingly vaccinated with AZ?
More AZ than mRNA but not overwhelmingly so.:
23 June 2021. At this date, an estimated 18 million first doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and 24.5 million first doses of the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca had been administered, and around 11 million and 20.7 million second doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca respectively. An approximate 0.88 million first doses of the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna have also now been administered.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting