SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
In my experience. If you can walk, it's not the flu.
Flu will floor you for a week. Bed ridden. You'll know the difference.
Yeah, I'm someone who likes to "keep busy" when ill, but even watching TV was too much for a couple of days with the flu.
I typically associate an out of control temperature with the flu, and feeling unable to do anything. I may have got the diagnosis wrong as I don’t tend to go to the doctors, so who knows

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
This is my worry. Flu is awful, you can barely function. Is Covid-19 like that? These details tend to be missing as they've focused on numbers and worst case scenarios rather than explaining what most people will feel like...
For the majority of people the symptoms are pretty mild compared to a flu. Think it hits around 20% of people pretty hard though.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I typically associate an out of control temperature with the flu, and feeling unable to do anything. I may have got the diagnosis wrong as I don’t tend to go to the doctors, so who knows
The temperature is only your body's first response by trying to flush the invader out with heat.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Flu is often mild. I'm not sure why people are suggesting it always knocks the shit out of you.

Lynty

This is my worry. Flu is awful, you can barely function. Is Covid-19 like that? These details tend to be missing as they've focused on numbers and worst case scenarios rather than explaining what most people will feel like...
No idea.

There's reports that people have it mildly e.g Tom Hanks was still able to do Instagram. Then there's that Doctor in China who has fully fit and healthy, but died. I don't know what the average is.

I work in NHS, and though i haven't visited infected patients, i'm told by ICU nurses that those suspected of having the virus on their ward are on deaths door. Though that's what you'd expect on ICU

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the majority of people the symptoms are pretty mild compared to a flu. Think it hits around 20% of people pretty hard though.
Yup. Based on what have I heard this morning, out of 10 people that have symptoms 2 will be sick enough to be hospitalized and 1 of them should end up in ICU. Many won't even realize that they are infected.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Well, you absolutely shouldn't go to the doctors for flu, unless the symptoms won't pass or you develop complications, so you're doing the right thing. There's no bigger timewasters for GPs, then people rocking up with basic viral conditions. They can't do shit for you.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So why not say that? Dabbing is just stupid. He literally asks for the negative reaction with stupid stunts like this. Look at the responses to that tweet.

He probably meant well but he's typically Pogba'd it all up.
You’re at impressive levels of wrong here.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Well, you absolutely shouldn't go to the doctors for flu, unless the symptoms won't pass or you develop complications, so you're doing the right thing. There's no bigger timewasters for GPs, then people rocking up with basic viral conditions. They can't do shit for you.
Yeah that’s my attitude. I saw my medical record for the first time recently and in the last few years I’d been in for slipping a joint in my back, then this accursed labyrinth syndrome. If any caf docs are reading this btw and want to share their wisdom about the latter please do so

No. It ranges from totally asymptomatic to feeling a bit under the weather to can't breathe without medical intervention. It's impossible to positively diagnose without specific tests, but it is possible to rule it out from regular flu with a stethoscope according to doctors here.

lsd

The Oracle
I think it's obvious Trump and Boris have decided to let everyone get it and then see about what happens then .

They are not thinking about preventing it or delaying it and as far as they are concerned screw those who die as a result

0le

I think it's obvious Trump and Boris have decided to let everyone get it and then see about what happens then .

They are not thinking about preventing it or delaying it and as far as they are concerned screw those who die as a result
I don't know about Trump but this simply isn't true abuout Boris. Stop finger pointing. No one knows exactly when it is the right time to start the lockdowns.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Would love United to announce an official mask partner in the next few weeks.

United58

Yup. Based on what have I heard this morning, out of 10 people that have symptoms 2 will be sick enough to be hospitalized and 1 of them should end up in ICU. Many won't even realize that they are infected.
Is it random how the severity is distributed, or do the more susceptible (elderly etc.) tend to be the ones hit harder?

Drawfull

There's almost certainly got to be a couple of us on here with the virus right now and we just don't know about it.
Definitely. The scary shit is the lack of available medical capacity seemingly inflating the death percentage.

I've been isolating for a couple of weeks, trying to be pre-emptive, but it's clearer the past few days that that's pointless.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is it random how the severity is distributed, or do the more susceptible (elderly etc.) tend to be the ones hit harder?
It's still too early to have definitive answers but based on Italy and China, people over 70 and younger people with chronic diseases are more likely to be hit harder.

Skills

Snitch
Is there any research on why that is the case (after you take out the age, health, smoking, obesity factors)? It seems even some young, healthy folks end up in treatment - so has any link based on say blood type etc established?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Italy keeps getting worse.
Jesus. I initially read that as 250 new cases and my first reaction was "that's very low" was filled with optimism that they've got on top of it. Deaths. Genuinely frightening .

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Not initially. Fever, followed by a dry cough, and finally viral pneumonia which will flood your lungs with liquid so will seem like you're drowning for a breathe.
He asked what most people will feel like...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

The lockdown measures won't be effective until next week. The people who tested positive for the virus probably got it last weekend. If the number of new cases doesn't drop in the next 2 weeks then something is wrong.

It will continue this way for a few days at least, but thankfully the exponential growth seems to have slowed down. The lockdowns wont have any effect until next week.

The government also said in the press conference they expect a spike in cases this weekend as a result of everybody fleeing the weekend just gone :mad:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nah flu is usually feeling like you got hit by a truck. Common cold is mild.
A severe case of influenza feels like that. I've had one. It was awful and then I got pneumonia.

A mild case of influenza does not and is common. It's not distinguishable from a cold to the average person.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The night I had an all-night fever dream was the worst. Every time I closed my eyes I immediately went right back into the dream and couldn't make a conscious effort to get out of it. It was just a dream about something simple like putting a box on a shelf, but the shelf kept moving. I'd wake up, talk myself out of it, close my eyes and it was there again.
:lol:

Yeah, in theory, but it's been borderline impossible to get a test here from what I understand even if you have symptoms because its hard to prove exposure to it.

There was an email today that a student is self-isolating in halls on 111s advice, so I think that's about to change.
Aye. I don't believe for a second that there's zero cases there and the fact they've stopped testing people means that they're committed to this herd theory course of action. They don't want people to know the true figures. I feel for anyone that works for the NHS I really do. Gonna be hell

0le

So under a lockdown, how are deliveries to supermarkets handled? Do the army step in and take over?