SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dante

Average bang
Of course, it will look even better in coming weeks since they told everyone who are sick to just stay at home and be silent...

Somehow other countries can cope with that but not UK.

We will see who is right and who wrong but personally I prefer to live in a country where government at least does something in the best interest of people even if it means taking a hit on economy. UK's response of "many people will die so let's just carry on what we are doing" is not what I would want to hear if I was still living in UK, I think all their actions are purely based on money.
And your response is based on kneejerk hysteria that will end up killing even more people.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Researchers from the Erasmus hospital in Rotterdanlm and the university of Utrecht have found an antibody that they suspect can cure Corona. It will take months to find a producer etc, but it might be a start.

We will obviously be the bestest country in the world if we cure it.

Safe to say Louis van Gaal will try to take credit.

Cant find the source in English.

clarkydaz

Researchers from the Erasmus hospital in Rotterdanlm and the university of Utrecht have found an antibody that they suspect can cure Corona. It will take months to find a producer etc, but it might be a start.

:lol:

He laid foundations

zing

Zingle balls

What's an antibody? Same thing as vaccine?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

zing

Zingle balls
Antibodies trigger the immune response before a pathogen can set up a base. Vaccination is a way to gain specific antibodies.
OK - so this is the stuff that goes into a vaccine? what is the implication of that article?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Tell if I'm wrong, they are talking about the APN01(an anti SARS drug)?

Skills

Snitch
OK - so this is the stuff that goes into a vaccine? what is the implication of that article?
I'm not really sure. Vaccinations usually cause your immune system to create the relevant antibodies, rather than artificially place them in you.

Maybe it's for an antiviral drug?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
How come most countries are willing to save as many people over the economy at this stage? How come most other countries have the means to close schools? Why is it only the UK faces these unique problems?

Di Maria's angel

Pexbo posted it a few pages back.

Di Maria's angel

Tell if I'm wrong, they are talking about the APN01(an anti SARS drug)?
Also the professors hobby project started 15 years ago. This led to a company that eventually found antibodies during the SARS1 outbreak. These remained untested at that time, but have now be found effective against SARS2 (aka Covid-2019).

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The scenes in Costco are ridiculous. The amount of people buying toilet & kitchen roll is bad but bottled water... ffs!! The queue has stretched all round the store & it’s only been open 1 hour!

Dante

Average bang
I can't stand our arrogance. It's so pervasive at the moment.
I would say it's the opposite.

We have 800 cases, but the PM admits that the real number is probably 10,000.

And whilst other countries are trying to beat the virus, the UK accepts that the virus is going to inevitably win (the CMO, Chris Whitty reckons up to 80% will catch it). The approach appears to be about mitigating the effects of covid-19 eventually overcoming our best efforts.

Every country fecked, but the UK are one of the few to admit it. It's more arrogant for others to think they can beat mother nature.

Last edited:

redshaw

Of course, it will look even better in coming weeks since they told everyone who are sick to just stay at home and be silent...
What do you think is happening in France with half as much testing done as the UK with 3500 cases and 80 deaths out of 11-12k tested? Tests are being reserved for people who need it most everywhere, most people who become ill with mild symptoms are told self quarantine. UK testing is more and increases each day, it's not stopped. Why are people so keen to paint this false picture when we've tested more and found less currently.

You get some vague info from the UK and just run to the hills with it.

France recently announced school closures and we know this is from figures above which greatly differ from UK right now. Spain and with France behind them have some serious situations to contend with. UK might be there in 4 weeks but you must understand 80 deaths and 3500 cases out 11-12k and 800 cases and 11 deaths out of 32k is very different.

Skills

Snitch
Also the professors hobby project started 15 years ago. This led to a company that eventually found antibodies during the SARS1 outbreak. These remained untested at that time, but have now be found effective against SARS2 (aka Covid-2019).
I wonder how much more money has been poured in/committed to the research labs working on this? The govts are lining up $10s of billions to support businesses but these are the guys who are going to really save lives if/when they find a cure. Now, more isn't necessarily going to make it quicker (there are only so many qualified experts) but surely, every effort must be made to make their jobs as easy as possible.

Dante

Average bang
How come most countries are willing to save as many people over the economy at this stage? How come most other countries have the means to close schools? Why is it only the UK faces these unique problems?
Which stage?

No other country shut down schools when the case rate was as low as it is in UK at the moment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The strange part is that it's one of the drugs that have already been tested and are suspected to have some effects on it, so I don't really get the timing of that announcement. Currently there are at least four drugs that are supposed to have some effects and are tested APN01(SARS), Chloroquine(Malaria), Lopinavir/Ritonavir(HIV) and Remdesivir(Ebola).

red4ever 79

Turned mobile notifications off for news apps. It's not healthy for the mind constantly being told every time someone dies.
Same. I stopped following the news two days ago. I mean it's just depressing and was giving me headaches. If you are fortunate enough to stay home/work from home then stay there.

red4ever 79

Here in Czech Republic they reacted very quickly and responsibly. Everything closed down withing a week. Schools, restaurants, shops, pubs all the borders are closed, cant come in or out. Only things still open are grocery stores, pharmacies and petrol stations.

Maticmaker

It's the Corporal Jones syndrome.... " don't panic, don't panic Captain Mainwaring "

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Well, I mean how are they skewing it... they are dying, right?

skew /skjuː/ biased or distorted in a way that is regarded as inaccurate, unfair, or misleading.
Life expectancy in Italy is 82, and in most of Europe is below 80, so I would say majority of European citizens would be completely fine reaching 80 years. Life expectancy in my country is 77. Basically anyone who I know would be more than fine with reaching 70+. I, personally would be delighted if I live 75 years, anything other would be a bonus, I am sure many would agree. :)

I know this might lower the life expectancy in Italy for this year, but they already have one of the biggest life expectancies in Europe.

nickm

Its the obvious solution and has worked in all the successful countries. But the cynical side of me thinks that they dont mind it fast-forwarding it to the mitigatory/treatment phase because it will be financial opportunities for the private sector.
Can we stop with the childish cynicism please? It is useless and counterproductive.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I actually hate them. It's no wonder the world is a mess when it's full of people like this who are allowed to vote.

They've also taken all of the baby wipes in the three supermarkets near me. Which is a massive problem since I actually have a baby that needs those wipes, so whilst he walks around with a shitty arsehole these dumb fecks are blocking their toilets with them.

clarkydaz

Life expectancy in Italy is 82, and in most of Europe is below 80, so I would say majority of European citizens would be completely fine reaching 80 years. Life expectancy in my country is 77. Basically anyone who I know would be more than fine with reaching 70+. I, personally would be delighted if I live 75 years, anything other would be a bonus, I am sure many would agree. :)

I know this might lower the life expectancy in Italy for this year, but they already have one of the biggest life expectancies in Europe.
wait unitl you are 74 :angel:

TheReligion

Abusive

Somehow other countries can cope with that but not UK.

We will see who is right and who wrong but personally I prefer to live in a country where government at least does something in the best interest of people even if it means taking a hit on economy. UK's response of "many people will die so let's just carry on what we are doing" is not what I would want to hear if I was still living in UK, I think all their actions are purely based on money.
What nonsense.

TheReligion

Abusive
Schools will have to be closed at some point, do we wait for all the children to get it first before doing it so that they can spread it to their grandparents?
So shortsighted.

Are you aware then when they close schools a massive portion of the countries essential workforce will be out of the game? Doctors, nurses, paramedics, police, shop workers, pharmacy staff..

It can't be a decision taken lightly and needs to be timed in line with other measures to reduce the strain on the above services.

I dread to think what would happen if some of you lot ran the country. These aren't easy decisions to make and they have much wider repercussions than your local primary school.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Here in Czech Republic they reacted very quickly and responsibly. Everything closed down withing a week. Schools, restaurants, shops, pubs all the borders are closed, cant come in or out. Only things still open are grocery stores, pharmacies and petrol stations.
It seems that Central European countries are trying to act wiser than most of the Western ones. And apparently it's us who are 'backward'.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The thing Western countries have over us is better health care potential, though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looking forward to this time next year standing in the Asda medicine aisle beside the cnut who took the last four pack of baby wipes out my trolley, when we're both picking up a pack of Lemsip Cold, Flu and Covid capsules, and having a good ol' laugh about the whole situation.

And then I'll smack him over the head with a fecking club.