SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DavelinaJolie

First day back at work after annual leave. Working in Adult Social Services in an LD department.

I'm wondering how families across the country are going to cope with the closures of day services whilst this is ongoing.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Hi @Robbo's Shoulder - So, as a relatively mild asthma sufferer who just uses Ventolin, I needn't bunker down yet? Sorry, I know you're probably not able to answer properly but it's hard getting definitive answers.

I don;t know whether it's subliminal stress / anxiety from the daily bombardment of bad news but my chest has been rubbish all week with asthma symptoms.
People on ventolin have definitely not been given any specific instructions, so as of now are not considered to be in the high risk group.

Source - me talking to AsthmaUK

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
He may have a duty of care to take them into the school, but he should then be calling the parents and telling them to come and pick them up.
I warned two weeks ago that schools were clueless on protocol thanks to lack of communication from the authorities. He should be calling the parents, but what if they refuse or simply don't answer?

There's still no strict guidance so people are taking the piss as usual. As much as I hate it, and it will ruin me financially, but things simply won't change without draconian measures.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Hi @Robbo's Shoulder - So, as a relatively mild asthma sufferer who just uses Ventolin, I needn't bunker down yet? Sorry, I know you're probably not able to answer properly but it's hard getting definitive answers.

I don;t know whether it's subliminal stress / anxiety from the daily bombardment of bad news but my chest has been rubbish all week with asthma symptoms.
I haven't a clue mate sorry, I phoned my gp's for further advice when I saw the article but they just said follow government advice which is very sketchy so no help there whatsoever tbh. I've just decided to isolate as my inhaler was listen in the dosage I take.
I've been similar with my chest the last week, I do think it is the stress and worry due to a lack of information which seems to be different depending on where you read. I'm just following asthma UK guidance now and at least my decision is made.

ZupZup

A friend of mine who works at Dyson has just tweeted to say that they are halting all normal production to make ventilators for the NHS.

Apparently they have made several prototypes already which have all passed clinical inspection.

Foxbatt

It's better to have a lockdown now and suffer a bit of economic misery to a huge disaster later.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There should be ZERO unattributed comments at this point.

Everything should be on record to create a bona fide information trail, so people can be held accountable once this is all done.

Keunssberg and peston are the worst for it, but the entire lobby journalist pool are failing to understand that this is not just a story anymore, this is a historic event.
*applauds*

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Working in a school. Most students havent shown up however we have some in. Of all the the children who are in today not one of their parents/carers are key workers. So basically they're using us as a glorified day care centre because they don't want their kids at home all day.
Really?

Wife works at local school, head is speaking to every parent who turns up and if not happy with reply, sending them home. End of. Also asking them if they've told THEIR kids about behaving and doing exactly what they're told

There are less teachers/TAs but still need to maintain ratio and the fewer the school takes, the easier it is to social distance them. Hence head has said "my way or go home". As it should be

Fooza

A friend of mine who works at Dyson has just tweeted to say that they are halting all normal production to make ventilators for the NHS.

Apparently they have made several prototypes already which have all passed clinical inspection.
Same with Gtech, nice to see these companies coming to together and helping. Link

Water Melon

My Lord, that photo above feom London tube really is horrifying. How on Earth is that even possible. My Motherland is well and truly a 3rd world country, but we have strict restrictions in place. Schools closed sonce last week, no public transportation allowed, no flughts, nothing. Major cities are in a lockdown.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There should be ZERO unattributed comments at this point.

Everything should be on record to create a bona fide information trail, so people can be held accountable once this is all done.

Keunssberg and peston are the worst for it, but the entire lobby journalist pool are failing to understand that this is not just a story anymore, this is a historic event.
It’s bad that most people on here have said for around 2-3 weeks we should be on lockdown, it needs to happen right now.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
People on ventolin have definitely not been given any specific instructions, so as of now are not considered to be in the high risk group.

Source - me talking to AsthmaUK
Thanks Ekkie, I've never really felt wary of anything like this and my chest has picked a really crappy time to start worrying me.

I haven't a clue mate sorry, I phoned my gp's for further advice when I saw the article but they just said follow government advice which is very sketchy so no help there whatsoever tbh. I've just decided to isolate as my inhaler was listen in the dosage I take.
I've been similar with my chest the last week, I do think it is the stress and worry due to a lack of information which seems to be different depending on where you read. I'm just following asthma UK guidance now and at least my decision is made.
No worries, I have been totally unable to get through to my GP since last Thursday and haven't wanted to trouble 111. It's been hard to get any proper info on where I stood.

Is there any hope the UK's numbers won't escalate to be as bad as Italy and Spain?
They are already miles off.

The UK broke 200 cases 17 days ago and will probably announce 6xxx cases today. After 17 days Italy had 12,500, Spain had 21,500.

Things need to take a serious turn South for the UK to catch either of them.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

So I guess the capitalists have finally recognised that they need a healthy, functioning society to consume their products.I feel like there might be a larger message here.

The testing protocols are different. Direct comparisons between the UK and elsewhere are meaningless.
The numbers are but the trends are still representative. The UK has a far flatter trendline than Italy and Spain did at the same point.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
And how are key workers meant to work then?
I don’t know the answer. All over the world, schools have been closed completely without any loopholes. I just wonder why the UK government thinks their country is different. I am married to a key worker and I am working from home so it is working for us. I know that’s not possible for everyone so maybe any so called key workers with kids just need to stay at home.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Fantastic news. I stay away from Dyson products but will be buying them if they come through with this.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I have not been keeping track of that as there are far too many variables like demographics, public behaviour, hospital availability, medical competency etc.
Eh? Surely keeping tabs on testing is just as bad if not worse given it depends entirely on political and financial reasoning. Not to mention many people have got/had covid19 and haven't bothered to be tested or asked to be tested and rejected.

Seems like a redundant stat to me ultimately.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Eh? Surely keeping tabs on testing is just as bad if not worse given it depends entirely on political and financial reasoning. Not to mention many people have got/had covid19 and haven't bothered to be tested or asked to be tested and rejected.

In Belgium you're only tested these days if you have a risk profile, show severe symptons or are a healthcare worker, so the total numbers of infected persons doesn't say much to me and is probably 5 or 10 times higher than it officially is.

It's the deaths and people on ICUs which interest me.

If one country only tests 1 in 10 possible patients, and another country tests 5 in 10 possible patients, the ultimate numbers are worthless but the trend they follow will be accurate. Unless there is some step change in how the world is able to test for this it's unlikely to vary much.

Deaths would be much harder to model because a country's ability to isolate patients and treat them will change over time, probably at a different rate to whoever you compare them against, and when those deaths actually occur it will be influenced by things like age and health condition which are all different from country to country.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
They are already miles off.

The UK broke 200 cases 17 days ago and will probably announce 6xxx cases today. After 17 days Italy had 12,500, Spain had 21,500.

Things need to take a serious turn South for the UK to catch either of them.
Honestly, the value of tracking the number of cases in isolation at this stage is essentially meaningless to track countries. The number of cases simply reveals far more about the testing levels and protocols of countries than anything else. The limiting factor for the number of positive tests is not the number of people who have COVID-19, but it is the capacity of the countries to test people.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
My elderly neighbour asked me to cut their back garden. I usually do it about every two weeks throughout spring and summer but have been avoiding them since Corona since this would probably kill them off.

They have no-one else really. What's the right thing to do here?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My elderly neighbour asked me to cut their back garden. I usually do it about every two weeks throughout spring and summer but have been avoiding them since Corona since this would probably kill them off.

I don't see the harm in you just cutting the grass outside and never entering their home or otherwise having contact.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Can you hop over the fence?

spiriticon

Yeah just tell him to stay indoors while you cut the grass. If you have to move through his home to get to the garden, do it quickly without touching anything.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'd have to go through the house. I'll do it but I'm gonna tell him to have the front and back doors open beforehand.

Gonna treat this like a game of "the floor is lava" except everything is lava.

b82REZ

Really?

Wife works at local school, head is speaking to every parent who turns up and if not happy with reply, sending them home. End of. Also asking them if they've told THEIR kids about behaving and doing exactly what they're told

There are less teachers/TAs but still need to maintain ratio and the fewer the school takes, the easier it is to social distance them. Hence head has said "my way or go home". As it should be
I work for a private independent so things are slightly different. But our headteacher is trying to climb the career ladder is doing anything to carry favour with the board.

He even offered to take other schools vulnerable kids and open over Easter until all the staff team threatened to go on self isolation if he enforced it.

He's seeing this as an opportunity to get a few favours in his pocket and is showing no regard to his staffs wellbeing