SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

cyberman

Something we will never be able to quantify but so many people will die indirectly because of this chaos. This must be enormously stressful for people who have to pay off their mortgage but are left without income for what could easily extend to 8-10 months, we are all aware of the impact of stress on health. I just don’t see what’s viable exit strategy from these lockdowns. Cases will keep piling up and surely no government will lift restrictions with 100+ daily cases still present. I just don’t see how this ends.
Youre looking too far forward. Im expecting a test to be widely available that allows you to know if you have contracted it so you arent a risk anymore and can work again. It has to happen, tok many people will be self isolating for no reason.

If it is this widespread then the econony can get kickstarted again in 3 months. We just need a chance to regroup.

Steven Seagull

The ambiguity around construction is intentional again I think. Most sites will come to their own conclusions that there’s no point organising work beyond the coming days so they’ll naturally begin to wind down and probably be ordered to close on Friday. Avoids the chaos of closing a building site at 9pm the night before.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just got told I'm expected at the office tomorrow. Great.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Trump briefing:

'Donald Trump said that very soon “we’re going to be opening up our country”.

Asked by a reporter if that meant “weeks or months,” Trump said, “I’m not looking at months, I can tell you right now.”

“People get tremendous anxiety and depression and you have suicide over things like this, when you have a terrible economy, you have death, definitely would be in far greater numbers than we’re talking about with regard to the virus,” Trump said. “We have a double obligation. We have a great country, there’s no country like it in the world, and there’s no economy like it in the world.”'

(Guardian)

NYAS

Let me guess...you're not a Tory. Am I right?
I’m not British so not a Tory but I do consider myself conservative politically...go on, what have you got? Didn’t expect that did you? Almost like you can’t pigeonhole everyone...

I'd love to respo

And the relevance of this to a guy who lives in Humberside is?
:lol: You’re having an absolute nightmare on here, do you know how forums work?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think it's pretty clear :

"Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home."

That basically means if your employer thinks you can't work from home (yet).
That's how I read it too. The idea that the work itself has to be essential is just made up. As with 'we're in lockdown', no we aren't, that's made up too, there are multiple reasons why people can leave the house, we are not in lockdown.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why not do it now though? Save lives and all that..

That's been the criticism aimed at the government here.
The Irish government have said they're trying to follow the South Korean model, which relied heavily on testing and contact tracing but less so on the sort of lockdown measures other countries have used. Whereas the UK's strategy is less test/trace focused. That's why you get the below disparity even without the ROI currently operating near its hoped for test capacity. Different priorities.

I very much doubt the ROI can actually escape lockdown measures but it wouldn't have surprised me if they were a bit later arriving than in the UK given the different approaches, even without taking into account that social distancing measures might be working better in Ireland. But maybe not.

But aren't most of Italy's cases concentrated in Lombardy?

And surely following Italy's example is a dreadful, dreadful idea. Because they themselves are struggling to cope, and though the numbers are turning around the next weeks are still going to get worse for them? And from everything I've read, the NHS' capacity for critical care is less than Italy's?
Yes they are, and it is, but lots of other countries have implemented the same measures at the same time. The UK is definitely early.

It will mean in coming days you'll only go to work if it's essential. I'm pretty certain about that. Doesn't matter if you can work from home or not.
Originally in Italy it was the first meaning, you could go to work if you couldn't work from home. Now it has changed and you can only go if the company performs an essential function.

Don't Kill Bill

No idea if I'm supposed to go into work now or not.

If its essential, meaning key workers then we should have been put on the list and everyone should know that they are expected to keep working. Like British Gas for example.

If that isn't true IE you haven't been informed you are expected to work on, you should stay at home.

Is that correct?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Youre looking too far forward. Im expecting a test to be widely available that allows you to know if you have contracted it so you arent a risk anymore and can work again. It has to happen, tok many people will be self isolating for no reason.

If it is this widespread then the econony can get kickstarted again in 3 months. We just need a chance to regroup.
That is very optimistic. I don’t really see a chance of restrictions being lifted before September/October but maybe I’m too pessimistic too.

Carolina Red

Staff
Trump briefing:

'Donald Trump said that very soon “we’re going to be opening up our country”.

Asked by a reporter if that meant “weeks or months,” Trump said, “I’m not looking at months, I can tell you right now.”

“People get tremendous anxiety and depression and you have suicide over things like this, when you have a terrible economy, you have death, definitely would be in far greater numbers than we’re talking about with regard to the virus,” Trump said. “We have a double obligation. We have a great country, there’s no country like it in the world, and there’s no economy like it in the world.”'

(Guardian)
And he just asked one of the top medical officials in the country “when will the mean media that don’t like me be allowed back in the room?”

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It doesn't mean that. It means this "If the job you do absolutely cannot be done from home then you can travel to your workplace to do that job"

Its only difficult to understand if you want it to be i'nit
You're coming across as a real prat here, I'm going to work tomorrow, and I want to because I need to pay for rent, and Boris's less than clear speech has many people confused and wondering what's going on - he should be leading the country but he's not doing it effectively.

If I go to work tomorrow and get stopped by the police and they try fining me for going to work who's in the right? Boris's statement on workers could be interpreted differently.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

If its essential, meaning key workers then we should have been put on the list and everyone should know that they are expected to keep working. Like British Gas for example.

If that isn't true IE you haven't been informed you are expected to work on, you should stay at home.

Is that correct?
No, the essential work bit is made up, at least for the moment. You can go to work if it's work that you can't do from home. Unless it's specifically in one of the barred groups, like pubs, clubs and so on.

cyberman

That is very optimistic. I don’t really see a chance of restrictions being lifted before September/October but maybe I’m too pessimistic too.
The way I see it is these restrictions arent designed to wipe out the virus but to ease the burden on hospitals etc. Get over that hill and smooth out the curve we will see easing off from restrictions. Then the vunerable can get state help that would free up hundreds of millions instead of 35 year old builder Dave down the street receiving the same benefits.
Feck me the public only has to behave and we wouldnt be here now

Posh Red

Is that correct?
Not sure. I work at a pensions broker and we have been told to come in tomorrow on the basis that we don’t have printing equipment at home to print forms. It looks like people are interpreting it in different ways.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The issue is they'll get fined or worse..
Is this actually enforceable for those going to work? Considering the government advice is still unless you can't work from home at this moment.

As it's not at all clear. And even if so, how would you know. For example my GF is going to work tomorrow, at a car body shop. Do you have any powers to stop and fine her?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This announcement was a touch vague but I'd imagine it will be cleared up very soon. The legislation has partly passed through parliament today but needs to fully do so and be enacted. When that's done everything will be live and clarity will be given.

I'd say in next 24/48 hrs.
It's like a United transfer saga.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's how I read it too. The idea that the work itself has to be essential is just made up. As with 'we're in lockdown', no we aren't, that's made up too, there are multiple reasons why people can leave the house, we are not in lockdown.
It will be lockdown by the end of the week I'm pretty sure. The only reason we aren't yet is the legislation isn't passed and hasn't been enacted. Watch this space. It's gradual hence the ambiguity tonight.

TheReligion

Abusive
Is this actually enforceable for those going to work? Considering the government advice is still unless you can't work from home at this moment.

As it's not at all clear. And even if so, how would you know. For example my GF is going to work tomorrow, at a car body shop. Do you have any powers to stop and fine her?
I think all the ambiguity will be cleared up by the end of the week mate. The legal stuff isn't sorted fully hence the ambiguity tonight I think. It will be passed and enacted in coming days then you will see some direction and action.

Dante

Average bang

Now we get into the social management phase of the crisis.

The police are going to have their hands full. They'll probably spend most of their time being goaded by scallies into a foot chase. And then because of social distancing, they'll have to decide whether it's worth it to arrest anyone.

I'd expect a lot of the unmanned electronics shops to be targetted for robberies, too.

Which is not to say I disagree with the new measures. I think they were necessary. But anyone who thinks it's going to be sunshine and rainbows is in for a shock.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It will be lockdown by the end of the week I'm pretty sure. The only reason we aren't yet is the legislation isn't passed and hasn't been enacted. Watch this space. It's gradual hence the ambiguity tonight.
We could move to that of course, my guess is we will, but as of now there is no ambiguity at all in saying there are multiple reasons people can leave their house, that is a fact, there is no lockdown yet.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes they are, and it is, but lots of other countries have implemented the same measures at the same time. The UK is definitely early.

Originally in Italy it was the first meaning, you could go to work if you couldn't work from home. Now it has changed and you can only go if the company performs an essential function.
Exactly we are following the same process but ahead of the curve.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Now we get into the social management phase of the crisis.

The police are going to have their hands full. They'll probably spend most of their time being goaded by scallies into a foot chase. And then because of social distancing, they'll have to decide whether it's worth it to arrest anyone.

I'd expect a lot of the unmanned electronics shops to be targetted for robberies, too.
I heard from a copper yesterday that some scumbag kids went into Asda causing grief and when a staff member refused to serve them more than 3 of the same item they spat in her face.

Seriously what the feck is wrong with these “people”?

TheReligion

Abusive
We could move to that of course, my guess is we will, but as of now there is no ambiguity at all in saying there are multiple reasons people can leave their house, that is a fact, there is no lockdown yet.
There's no social reason you can leave the house now. Exercise is about it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think all the ambiguity will be cleared up by the end of the week mate. The legal stuff isn't sorted fully hence the ambiguity tonight I think. It will be passed and enacted in coming days then you will see some direction and action.
Yeah I get that mate, it's not easy and even after that you guys are still going to have a tough job getting people to do as their bloody told.

In the mean time though, people will and do need to work I think we need to be more about what we know right now to help save confusion.

As of this moment, people can and will go to work tomorrow. After that is anyone's guess, but they are going to have to be very clear and specific. Because in my gf's case, it may be a body shop, but it works with NHS staff cars too so there's a big loophole right there for them to stay open...

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

Is that correct?
I don't think so. The advice on the government website is as follows:

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:
  • "Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others
That means that you can travel to work only if it is essential to your job, not that you can travel only if your job is essential.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I get that mate, it's not easy and even after that you guys are still going to have a tough job getting people to do as their bloody told.

In the mean time though, people will and do need to work I think we need to be more about what we know right now to help save confusion.

As of this moment, people can and will go to work tomorrow. After that is anyone's guess, but they are going to have to be very clear and specific. Because in my gf's case, it may be a body shop, but it works with NHS staff cars too so there's a big loophole right there for them to stay open...
The point @11101 made about what happened in Italy is worth baring in mind. The UK has literally followed exactly the same path but slightly earlier. So Italy initially allowed work to that degree then moved to essential work only. My personal thoughts are we will move to that model and when the legislation is through we will see it.

I would be telling anyone who isn't an essential worker to start making plans without work as it's coming and it's better to be prepared than simply thinking it will all be okay only to be told you're not going in to work the next day.

Noc-Z

ffs
I'm quite sure the best person to discuss all this with is your solicitor who you are paying to conclude this convoluted legal process - not with a bunch of twats you've never ever met who exist (or don't exist) on a football fans forum. It's almost like you're one of those fake bot accounts who sucker people in with their fake queries/questions/dilemmas in life.
So what's the point of a forum at all then?