SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rajma

Also, I've been looking at the numbers on worldometer, and it came apparent to me that South Korea has stopped testing mostly for the past few weeks after going gung-ho with it at the beginning or is it simply that they feel they can control the spread pretty well now that the whole picture became clear?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why is it so hard for parents to feed their own kids to begin with?

Whats a loaf of bread, jam and butter cost ? , no more than a quid Id wager.

What do these parents do in summer?
You try feeding your kids on Universal Credit after you’ve paid for fags, booze, a full Sky Tv subscription, your iPhone package, the lottery, scratch cards and an all inclusive holiday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
An informative thread on the prob of transmission

That‘s a really useful summary of the data. Confirms what I’ve been thinking for while. Living, working or sharing a cab/train with sick people puts you at risk.

Picking up the same can of beans at a supermarket, or walking less than 2m past a sick person does not.

It’s understandable but there’s definitely a lot of irrational fear out there.

Fluctuation0161

You try feeding your kids on Universal Credit after you’ve paid for fags, booze, a full Sky Tv subscription, your iPhone package, the lottery, scratch cards and an all inclusive holiday.
Poor post. Try feeding them after you've paid for rent, Bill's and food. You'd struggle.

Even more difficult for them during lockdown I'd wager with no child care or school meals etc.

Suedesi

That‘s a really useful summary of the data. Confirms what I’ve been thinking for while. Living, working or sharing a cab/train with sick people puts you at risk.

Picking up the same can of beans at a supermarket, or walking less than 2m past a sick person does not.

It’s understandable but there’s definitely a lot of irrational fear out there.
Yup. Also worth noting that children do not transmit the virus much if at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yup. Also worth noting that children do not transmit the virus much if at all.
If it's based on the Spectator article, that paragraph is a bit strange without any idea regarding the sample size or more details about the cases, the one anecdotal example doesn't allow to make that type of conclusions. They should be careful with the way they claim things.

Here you have examples of conflicting opinions.

Last edited:

Conor

The UK are one of the least isolated country in the World, the capital is one of the main hubs on earth.
I'm not sure if you're being pedantic, but I assume you understand my point, it is an island. It's clearly much easier to implement international travel restrictions in the UK over any country in mainland Europe.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not sure if you're being pedantic, but I assume you understand my point, it is an island. It's clearly much easier to implement international travel restrictions in the UK over any country in mainland Europe.
I got your point and it's wrong because what matter is the initial contact, the UK being an international hub means that the virus was most likely on the island when Italy didn't even knew that it was in Italy. For all these countries the key point was to stop community transmissions within the country because the virus was already imported in December-January and spreaded from within.

RedRover

Does anyone reckon the larger public in the UK will at some stage come to terms with the fact that the government has done a truly awful job with this virus? From Google statistics it looks like UK accounts for 11% of deaths globally, there should be absolute uproar given the relative isolation of the UK, and the head start they had on somewhere like Italy.
I'm not sure how we can make comparisons across countries at the moment based on raw statistics. There's no uniform categorisation of deaths for a start, and each country will inevitably have it's own issues caused by demographics, culture, geography and a whole host of other issues.

For context, I'm not a Tory, nor a fan of Boris and what he stands for, but we are dealing with a global pandemic. Some of the criticism is warranted. Lack of testing has been a huge issue. The fact that the NHS is underfunded following years of Tory austerity policies is true, but crucially the NHS has not (yet) failed. The furloughing scheme protects jobs and (according to the Bank of England) should help avoid lasting damage to the economy after the inevitable, and deep recession.

One issue I do have is that the Government is not providing enough information as to how they are making decisions. I'd prefer more transparency because we know they are balancing public safety against the overall cost to the economy, which is (in my opinion) absolutely the right thing to do and something countries around the world either have done, or will have to do as they ease out of lockdown.

redshaw

An informative thread on the prob of transmission

Conclusion 2: (a) we need to redesign our living/working spaces & rethink how to provide better, ventilated living/working environment for those who live in deprived & cramped areas; (b) avoid close, sustained contact indoors & in public transport, & maintain personal hygiene.

It's what I've been saying and wish there was more information to the public and care homes rather than cleaning phones and washing hands. We see how airborne droplets in confined areas disperse very quickly with some ventilation and how they hang around and build up if not. People in small homes or other similar spaces like work, taxis buses and corners of restaurants which I've posted show it can spread 2 metres or more to the next table or seat on a bus. People at home in their living room sat apart will still get it when chatting and eating day after day, having your close friends over for a chinwag and a glass of wine or a cuppa for a few hours. Care home communal areas will be really bad in March with poor ventilation, people coughing and talking. China and now NY have data showing most infections come from home, they bring it home from other close personal or confined contact, we had the China data long ago, something like 75% at home.

The choir in LA is a good example of how it can spread scaled up. They all got their hand sanitiser on at the entrance, kept spaced apart but they're in a closed environment and expelling and breathing in, it's a big re-circulation event happening unseen and many got infected.

I keep seeing many members of families get it, brothers and couples dying on the same day or days apart. Grandparents dying having caught it off their 40-50 year old daughter and now the grand kids have lost their grandmother and great grandparents. It's tough to do but had they kept apart they'd still be here. it's very easy to think it's out there with strangers and shut your windows, your close friends or relative are fine but it's the opposite. Moving out the way of some stranger outside won't help you when it's the close contact inside from your family or close friends or colleagues.

Going way back there was a Chinese women working in Europe, she only passed it on to the person she was working close with, no-one else in the office got infected.

BBC, every other day, are you cleaning your phone properly, here's how.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Conclusion 2: (a) we need to redesign our living/working spaces & rethink how to provide better, ventilated living/working environment for those who live in deprived & cramped areas; (b) avoid close, sustained contact indoors & in public transport, & maintain personal hygiene.

It's what I've been saying and wish there was more information to the public and care homes rather than cleaning phones and washing hands. We see how airborne droplets in confined areas disperse very quickly with some ventilation and how they hang around and build up if not. People in small homes or other similar spaces like work, taxis buses and corners of restaurants which I've posted show it can spread 2 metres or more to the next table or seat on a bus. People at home in their living room sat apart will still get it when chatting and eating day after day, having your close friends over for a chinwag and a glass of wine or a cuppa for a few hours. Care home communal areas will be really bad in March with poor ventilation, people coughing and talking. China and now NY have data showing most infections come from home, they bring it home from other close personal or confined contact, we had the China data long ago, something like 75% at home.

The choir in LA is a good example of how it can spread scaled up. They all got their hand sanitiser on at the entrance, kept spaced apart but they're in a closed environment and expelling and breathing in, it's a big re-circulation event happening unseen and many got infected.
How do you solve the public transport conundrum though?

Conor

I got your point and it's wrong because what matter is the initial contact, the UK being an international hub means that the virus was most likely on the island when Italy didn't even knew that it was in Italy. For all these countries the key point was to stop community transmissions within the country because the virus was already imported in December-January and spreaded from within.
I disagree :)

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree :)
What exactly are you disagreeing with? Surely you realize that almost all infections aren't imported and that the virus was in Europe in December? You also know that London and in particular Heathrow are global hubs?

Conor

What exactly are you disagreeing with? Surely you realize that almost all infections aren't imported and that the virus was in Europe in December? You also know that London and in particular Heathrow are global hubs?
Of course, I disagree with the point that limiting incoming cases as part of a plan to restrict infections is not important. Any island that didn't do that missed an opportunity to help with controlling the initial outbreak, in my opinion.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That is a very good question. Up to recently, we used the buses quite a lot. But now, they run nearly empty.

I understand that some bus operators are limiting the numbers of passengers they will carry to half the seats.

arnie_ni

Should we be discussing Kyle Walker’s latest slip up in here? Not seen another thread.
The thread about his sex party was locked. Ive asked for it to be reopened.

He's using the mental health card re the reporting on him as well. There would be no reports if he didnt think he was above the social distancing guidelines

In Italy they are blocking off every other seat and nobody is allowed to stand in corridors etc. Once the train hits its capacity the doors close. I havent caught a train yet but apparently it's not really being respected and they are a lot busier than they should be.

arnie_ni

What the heck has he done now?
Broke social distancing 3 times in 24 hrs. Went to a party at his sisters, then went to his parents, and then had a bike ride with someone from a different household.

2 and 3 wouldnt be so bad in isolation if he didnt do number 1 and of course host a sex party

NinjaFletch

The thread about his sex party was locked. Ive asked for it to be reopened.

He's using the mental health card re the reporting on him as well. There would be no reports if he didnt think he was above the social distancing guidelines
God I just read his statement.

What a cnut.

We all feel like that about wanting to see our family and friends; he's not special.

arnie_ni

God I just read his statement.

What a cnut.

We all feel like that about wanting to see our family and friends; he's not special.
Yip. No one is unaffected by this mentally, but that doesnt give anyone the right to do what they want.

I also feel celebrities that feck up and then throw out the mental health card as an excuse for their behaviour demonize those that are genuine sufferers..

Clarification... im in no way saying celebrities or the rich cant suffer from mental health issues, because they can.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Broke social distancing 3 times in 24 hrs. Went to a party at his sisters, then went to his parents, and then had a bike ride with someone from a different household.

2 and 3 wouldnt be so bad in isolation if he didnt do number 1 and of course host a sex party
He's a bit of an idiot. Where my mum lives they have all just come out and done the minute silence, someone played the last post and another did a brilliant job of the National Anthem on his guitar. They are all coming out later to have afternoon tea, all sitting outside their own houses, social distancing, playing bingo etc. It can be done and all the households can still enjoy themselves.

NinjaFletch

Yip. No one is unaffected by this mentally, but that doesnt give anyone the right to do what they want.

I also feel celebrities that feck up and then throw out the mental health card as an excuse for their behaviour demonize those that are genuine sufferers..

Clarification... im in no way saying celebrities or the rich cant suffer from mental health issues, because they can.
And, of course, his manager's mother died of it so you'd think the importance of it would have been hammered home by the club. I'm baffled City are defending it this time.

arnie_ni

WFH made permanent for those that can. No more ducking out of it by some companies
Youd imagine working for home would save companies big money. Less heat, electricity, office space this lease, rent and rates savings.

They are just afraid to relinquish that level of control

NinjaFletch

Can't imagine Pep will be too chuffed with him.
Quite. I wouldn't be amazed if he'd played his last game for the club tbh. It looked like they were moving towards fazing him out anyway, and I can't see how this has endeared him to anyone there.

Kag

Reported on BBC this morning that 45% of Covid-related deaths in Northern Ireland have been in care homes.

It renders the praise the government have attempted to manufacture for ensuring the NHS is not overwhelmed a little (a lot) hollow. We’ve made sure that hospitals can manage by getting the dust pan and brush and sweeping the oldies under the carpet.

Finding a way to adequately shield care homes is going to be crucial; probably more effective than the current guidance of lockdown. Healthy people are sitting about the house when they could be working, even though the virus is allowed to spread in areas out of their control. It’s quite difficult to swallow.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Youd imagine working for home would save companies big money. Less heat, electricity, office space this lease, rent and rates savings.

They are just afraid to relinquish that level of control
Yeah it’s very frustrating. I guess many companies take out long leases on big office spaces etc so they don’t want empty buildings. But it’s time for everyone to reimagine how they work

JPRouve

Scout
Of course, I disagree with the point that limiting incoming cases as part of a plan to restrict infections is not important. Any island that didn't do that missed an opportunity to help with controlling the initial outbreak, in my opinion.
So you disagree with a point that I didn't make, I simply told you that the UK wasn't isolated and that the virus was already within your borders when Italy took measures. The head start theory is also not really accurate, no one really knows who got the first cases within its borders, my guess is that it was France because we are the first to actually have a case and the first to have a death in Europe but it could be coincedences.

Classical Mechanic

In Italy they are blocking off every other seat and nobody is allowed to stand in corridors etc. Once the train hits its capacity the doors close. I havent caught a train yet but apparently it's not really being respected and they are a lot busier than they should be.
That’s what will happen here. Working from home will probably reduce demand to an extent but I still find it hard to imagine that you can make public transport safe without cutting off access to work for a lot of people.