SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Makes you wonder how awful it is on the beach in Bournemouth when there isn't a lockdown in place.
Probably less busy. People are more eager to go outside now that they've been locked for weeks.

Smores

Really?! I didn’t think they’d identified gene variants for a more severe illness. Where did you read about this? How do you know you have them?
It was in the guardian but it seems a very preliminary study to be fair. I've not had a chance to read the actual study yet but there does seem to be doubts whether the results provide confidence to state a link beyond age.

I had one of those DNA packages done a while back just out of pure curiosity so i know I've got two e4 variants in that sequence.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was in the guardian but it seems a very preliminary study to be fair. I've not had a chance to read the actual study yet but there does seem to be doubts whether the results provide confidence to state a link beyond age.

I had one of those DNA packages done a while back just out of pure curiosity so i know I've got two e4 variants in that sequence.
Interesting. Thanks. If they can really nail this down it has huge implications for Public Health measures.

Carolina Red

Staff
Like... what the feck, man. The comments below are from a couple of the 18 states currently experiencing spikes in Covid cases:
"My family has the same mindset as me and we kind of just agreed that if we get it, we get it. We're going to handle it as a family and get over it," one beachgoer told CNN's Gary Tuchman.
"We're all just embracing it," Lee told the news station. "I could get killed by Covid today or I could get hit by a bus or a car tomorrow. I am practicing proper hand washing and hygiene."
Oh, and 26 states are investigating spikes in “multi-system inflammatory syndrome” in children, which medical folks think is linked to Covid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Marcus Rashford has received a High Sheriff Special Recognition Award for providing 2.8 million children with food each week during the coronavirus pandemic.'

buchansleftleg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52797002

Shock horror. Think it confirms my belief that the government medical advisors doing the briefings were at times defending government decisions rather than contradicting them.

'Football stadiums low risk of spread' comes to mind.
worth noting that this was said to be the period that Boris did not attend Cobra meetings because he was said to be sorting out his divorce and panicking to try and finish his book on Shakespeare that he had barely started and was facing an imminent deadline to submit it or hand back a 6 figure advance he had already spent.

Would be interesting to read the correspondence between himself and his publisher during this time...wonder if anyone from that company is so appalled at his behaviour that they choose to release it?

SteveJ

Scout
*moans pointlessly 'What the f*ck can Boris F*cking Johnson teach us about Shakespeare?!?*

SteveJ

Scout
:lol:

Seriously though, well done to Marcus.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
'Marcus Rashford has received a High Sheriff Special Recognition Award for providing 2.8 million children with food each week during the coronavirus pandemic.'
I don't see the big deal. Raheem Sterling does that every day when he feeds his own kids dinner.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Good stuff. Too much focus on feckwits like Cummings and not enough on things like this.

Ludens the Red

Congrats to UK, Sweden, Brazil and the United States for winning the competition.

Essentially, the governments of these countries have a lot of blood on their hands for deliberately choosing this path. Not surprisingly, these 4 countries are at the top of death per capita.
Quick question, why no mention of the governments of Spain, Belgium and Ecuador and Italy?
How comes you specifically mentioned the four countries you did ?
And why did you only use a seven day average? If it’s a ‘competition’ to see who got it wrong the most, surely you have to look at the entire period as opposed to just one week?

Revan

Assumptionman
Quick question, why no mention of the governments of Spain, Belgium and Ecuador and Italy?
How comes you specifically mentioned the four countries you did ?
And why did you only use a seven day average? If it’s a ‘competition’ to see who got it wrong the most, surely you have to look at the entire period as opposed to just one week?
Cause I mentioned only the first four, whom deliberately chose this path.

Ludens the Red

Cause I mentioned only the first four, whom deliberately chose this path.
The Belgians, Italians and Spanish don’t seem particularly pleased with their governments. Surely that along with their comparable numbers mean that their governments also “deliberately chose their path” if that’s how we’re critiquing this.

Brazil are the only country that you’ve mentioned that you could accuse of being completely reckless and deliberately choosing a disastrous path imo.

Superunknown

Makes you wonder how awful it is on the beach in Bournemouth when there isn't a lockdown in place.
I've lived in Bournemouth for the last 10 years. Going to the beach in the Summer or when you have a nice day like yesterday is suicide. It's packed, especially the areas by the pier. The further out you go, the less busy it becomes, but I would stay as far away from that beach, if possible. The traffic into Bournemouth on a nice day like that is also hell...

The pictures from yesterday are depressing. I hope that they are inaccurate, but I'm sure that they are probably not. I wouldn't know for myself because I'm still sticking to the lockdown, like a mug.

Just checking Worldometers (which I know isn't the most accurate resource) and I've noticed that there are 4,000 new cases in the UK. How accurate is this? I'm worried about us hitting the second wave sooner than we think. The Government's relaxation of the lockdown, VE Day, sunny weather, etc...all signs seem to be leading to people being less cautious and the number of cases increasing.

Irwin99

I wonder how realistic another major spike is given that the number of cases seem to be drastically falling (from what i've read anyway) and the idea that this virus may already have been around for longer than February/March.

I get the sense people are very fed up now and are reaching a major level of fatigue and annoyance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I wonder how realistic another major spike is given that the number of cases seem to be drastically falling (from what i've read anyway) and the idea that this virus may already have been around for longer than February/March.

I get the sense people are very fed up now and are reaching a major level of fatigue and annoyance.
Another major spike feels extremely unlikely at the moment. I have a pretty good grasp of how these things work and still catch myself wondering if the virus has somehow suddenly become much more benign and we’ve nothing to worry about from here. Even though I know this makes no sense.

What we need to remember, though, is this graph from the Spanish flu pandemic. I’m sure everyone felt exactly the way we do right now in August of 1918.

Wolverine

Another major spike feels extremely unlikely at the moment. I have a pretty good grasp of how these things work and still catch myself wondering if the virus has somehow suddenly become much more benign and we’ve nothing to worry about from here. Even though I know this makes no sense.

What we need to remember, though, is this graph from the Spanish flu pandemic. I’m sure everyone felt exactly the way we do right now in August of 1918.
I agree with what you're saying. There has been extra testing which coincided with increased relaxation and the numbers are trending downwards. I think we'll know soon-ish if you're right though.

Eid was a bit brutal in the midlands in terms of families not sticking to lockdown whatsoever just speaking anecdotally. London was a lot better with people sticking to the rules there.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah the news about this disease seems all really positive at the moment. The worry about people congregating in parks and beaches seems unfounded at this moment. There has been no spike.

It seems to me from all this data that transmission is mainly due to close contained proximity.

BootsyCollins

Hopefully we are much better prepared than people was then. From what ive read about the spanish flu it got its name because for a long time Spain was the only ones actually writing about it and giving it any atention in the beggining. Wich is crazy and says alot about the disadvantage they were in then compared to now. We might not know much about the virus, but what we learn can in seconds be shared with others who needs the information.

I like that you are slightly optimistic since i trust your opinion here. Not saying you are saying this will all be over soon, but you and others on here i trust seems a little more on the bright side now compared to a couple 100 pages ago.

Irwin99

Feck! that's brutal.
Yeah the news about this disease seems all really positive at the moment. The worry about people congregating in parks and beaches seems unfounded at this moment. There has been no spike.

It seems to me from all this data that transmission is mainly due to close contained proximity.
If there's no spike in the next few weeks when lots of people have been in the park or at the beach, then really the only potential thing to worry about in terms of a second wave is when the schools and work offices reopen? But with people hopefully being more cautious this time around then... maybe we might have this thing under reasonable control?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What goes under the radar a bit is if the theory about this virus has been around since November/December is accurate then this may actually be the second wave.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What goes under the radar a bit is if the theory about this virus has been around since November/December is accurate then this may actually be the second wave.
That theory was binned a while ago. They’ve been retrospectively testing blood samples from December/January (obviously, not a hope in hell that the virus was here in November!) and there’s no way there was any kind of significant spread at that time. Which was obvious anyway. It’s a fairly unique clinical picture. Loads of people being admitted to hospitals/ITU with bilateral viral pneumonias and coagulopathies wouldn’t have slipped beneath the radar.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If there's no spike in the next few weeks when lots of people have been in the park or at the beach, then really the only potential thing to worry about in terms of a second wave is when the schools and work offices reopen? But with people hopefully being more cautious this time around then... maybe we might have this thing under reasonable control?
Yeah, that’s what I hope. As @BootsyCollins said above, we’re infinitely better prepared and educated now than we were about the Spanish flu in summer of 1918. So I’d say a massive second wave like they got is unlikely. I’d also have to say that not getting any second wave is even more unlikely.