Saudi Arabia FA interested in joining UEFA Champions League (Bloomberg)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
if football wasnt dead this would be the final nail the well fecking nailed coffin - unless UEFA FFP is spread to cover Saudi - but wait FFP doesnt fecking work

feck OFF

lex talionis

Fukk off. This is not the world league. This is the UEFA Champions League.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It was obviously going to be their next step, and I presume at some point it's going to happen.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
And the award for least surprising news of the week goes to:

Castia

Imagine the backhander they’re offering UEFA for making this happen :drool:

Idxomer

The backlash against the European super league hasn't aged well.

Cloud7

It was inevitable. This was always going to be the aim. With UEFA being who they are I fully expect them to go along with this.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Superleague please now - and stick a massive implement up UEFAs collective arse holes

Irrational.

I don’t see what’s wrong with this, especially when teams like Maccabi Haifa and Tel Aviv are allowed in National and international European competitions. Why the double standards?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Makes zero sense/rationale for this to happen other than money.

I don't see the clubs accepting/agreeing to this. European teams are governed by FFP rules, Saudi clubs aren't. They will need to prove that first before this shitshow occurs.

Teja

It's curtains. For the price of one Man Utd, they created a whole new league out of nothing and have money left over to pay whatever bribes are needed to UEFA.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Honestly, im glad theyre building their league up, but they need to introduce financial limitations on these clubs at some point. On the other hand, the E is UEFA is supposed to be there for a reason. The club world cup is the only place where they are supposed to face off against European clubs. Somehow, i fear that these people tend to get what they want.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
feck off Saudi's. It's our elitist competition.

But for real, maybe this is going to end happen as a compromise in case the Saudi's try to create their own variation of a club competitive competition which would hugely rankle UEFA.

Teja

I don't see the clubs accepting/agreeing to this. European teams are governed by FFP rules, Saudi clubs aren't. They will need to prove that first before this shitshow occurs.
but they need to introduce financial limitations on these clubs at some point
They will add the rule to say FFP applies to Saudi clubs -- Saudis will be fine with that because they can juice the revenues or pay players under the table easily. They did it in the PL, imagine how much easier it'd be to do in Saudi Arabia.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t see what’s wrong with this, especially when teams like Maccabi Haifa and Tel Aviv are allowed in National and international European competitions.
So... UEFA members enter a UEFA competition?

EireRed_GS

Fair enough, We know how ambitious they are already.. but let's be honest.. even some of the last seeded teams in the CL would prob batter the Saudi teams. They are miles off CL level... Miles

Lynty

UEFA have no choice really and this was obviously Saudi's play from the very start.

If they deny a place to a Saudi team, the Suadi's just set up the Super League themselves and slowly attract more teams to ditch UEFA for their competition. I anticpate some of the big teams are already in bed in the Saudi's on this (Real, Barca, Boehly)

heraklion

I don’t see what’s wrong with this, especially when teams like Maccabi Haifa and Tel Aviv are allowed in National and international European competitions. Why the double standards?
Do you have any idea on why Israeli teams are playing in European competitions?

cyberman

I called this not a few days ago in regards to Newcastle.
Theyre in trouble if this is true. They serve no purpose for sports washing now.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Still, you have to give it to Ronaldo. He dominated the Champion's League for years and now he's decimating it too after opening the way for Saudi to become a top-tier league. What a guy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They’re not in Europe.
Neither is England and their clubs still compete in the Champions League.

I don't see the harm in it personally, so I'm not sure what every is complaining about. This is merely welcoming new and exciting opportunities for UEFA execs to line their own pockets. I mean, erm, innovation and synergy and shit. Give me a couple of hours and I'll come back with some more daft excuses.

Lecland07

Neither is England and their clubs still compete in the Champions League.

I don't see the harm in it personally, so I'm not sure what every is complaining about. This is merely welcoming new and exciting opportunities for UEFA execs to line their own pockets. I mean, erm, innovation and synergy and shit. Give me a couple of hours and I'll come back with some more daft excuses.
?

the_cliff

Still, you have to give it to Ronaldo. He dominated the Champion's League for years and now he's decimating it too after opening the way for Saudi to become a top-tier league. What a guy.
:lol: :lol:

People thought that was the end of Ronaldo in the UCL... Ronaldo the mastermind.