Saudi Arabia FA interested in joining UEFA Champions League (Bloomberg)

lostcauz

Should be made to go through the qualifying rounds instead of a guaranteed place if this is going to be a thing

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
But you were all fine with Australia bribing their way into Eurovision?

Kjorra

Neither is England and their clubs still compete in the Champions League.

I don't see the harm in it personally, so I'm not sure what every is complaining about. This is merely welcoming new and exciting opportunities for UEFA execs to line their own pockets. I mean, erm, innovation and synergy and shit. Give me a couple of hours and I'll come back with some more daft excuses.
You for real? They may not be a part of the European Union anymore, but they are definitely still a part of Europe.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean, not to get too political... but Israel is part of UEFA and their teams play in European competitions...

heraklion

Still, you have to give it to Ronaldo. He dominated the Champion's League for years and now he's decimating it too after opening the way for Saudi to become a top-tier league. What a guy.
I am pretty sure Neymar, Mane and all others were dreaming of uniting with Ronaldo the reject in Saudi Arabia :lol:
Money has very little role here, it's all about Ronaldo effect, what a guy taking his revenge from Euro clubs after getting rejected left and right:lol:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What about Cyprus and Armenia? Were they banned from AFC too?
I dunno, but I would assume they're no part of uefa because they brought big money to the table. Is it a silly reason? I honestly don't know...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I am pretty sure Neymar, Mane and all others were dreaming of uniting with Ronaldo the reject in Saudi Arabia :lol:
Money has very little role here, it's all about Ronaldo effect, what a guy taking his revenge from Euro clubs after getting rejected left and right:lol:
Good post. I agree with all of this minus the laughing emojis and the part I deleted :)

Chairman Steve

They’re going to do what they did with Golf and just usurp everything out of nowhere.

At least it’ll piss off the Premier League and their sanctimonious outlook.

justboy68

I think we all saw this coming a mile off. Next it will be 2, 3, 4 teams. Soon the final will be hosted there regularly and who knows what else. Games gone to feck.

Plastic Evra

Someone needs to tell them what UEFA stands for.
I mean Israel is in the UEFA. Obviously on account of well understood political reasons but it does open an interesting debate on what is Europe, aren't all borders abstract creations, really ?

Nakedly here it's a money move.
I expected they suggested more of an intercontinental tournament of some kind to open with but guess Princes are not patient.

VWW

I don’t see what’s wrong with this, especially when teams like Maccabi Haifa and Tel Aviv are allowed in National and international European competitions. Why the double standards?
This is what I was thinking as well. UEFA have set a precedent now allowing Israeli teams to participate in the Champions League. It would seem hypocritical to not allow Saudi Arabian teams.

Personally I dont think either countries should be allowed.

Cloud7

I called this not a few days ago in regards to Newcastle.
Theyre in trouble if this is true. They serve no purpose for sports washing now.
Imagine if they get dumped after all this :lol:

LordSpud

Think of the players that might be in that League i just 2 years. See what theyve done in this 1st year.

We will see the Super League very soon.

Oranges038

Australia are allowed in the Eurovision.

So Saudi teams in the CL is just a natural evolution.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Can't see this happening and not sure if either of those sources is remotely reliable.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So then make Saudi a uefa member just like Kazakhstan.
Only joking, I don't think either country should be in uefa.
It would be slightly less ridiculous than this wild card stuff.

Plastic Evra

It's where we've been ahead for 20 years (?) and neither FIFA or UEFA really showed any desire to seriously clamp on it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can't wait until the "CL" is 128 teams, 16 groups of 8 playing both home and away twice. Top 4 teams from each group qualify for the second round of groups. 8 groups of 8, top four go through. Four knockout rounds followed by a similarly two legged final that are all played in Riyadh for some unexplained reason.

To win the newly named "Super League" you'd have to play 38 games, and obviously due to travel that would mean one game a week. Which will be okay because there will be no domestic season for these clubs anymore after Aramco take over the PL and turn it into new build houses.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's hilarious. But if Israel can be in UEFA, everyone else can really.

Chief123

Can't wait until the "CL" is 128 teams, 16 groups of 8 playing both home and away twice. Top 4 teams from each group qualify for the second round of groups. 8 groups of 8, top four go through. Four knockout rounds followed by a similarly two legged final that are all played in Riyadh for some unexplained reason.

To win the newly named "Super League" you'd have to play 38 games, and obviously due to travel that would mean one game a week. Which will be okay because there will be no domestic season for these clubs anymore after Aramco take over the PL and turn it into new build houses.
And only 1% of the teams competing in the competition are actually Champions. :drool:

They should just call it the “Teams near the top League”

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I predicted this on here months ago. I am sick of being right on everything, it’s never good news.