Saudi Arabia FA interested in joining UEFA Champions League (Bloomberg)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The super league got blocked so this was the alternative.

Plastic Evra

That's hilarious. But if Israel can be in UEFA, everyone else can really.
I think it's a little of a non argument though because Israel is in UEFA largely by default and because they cannot be part of the confederation you would assume they should be in.

If Saudi is invited to C1 it opens he possibility of a Saudi club playing an Israeli one and it is it's own can of political worms.

Reyoji-Utd

Enter the Aramco's multi billions dollars Uefa any competition sponsorship deals. And yeah, kaching for every board memebers...

Who says the football bubble gonna bust, Football is just starting, potentail is still huge, just look at the American Football and how much money in there to make. Thats why you have tons of American consortium try to buy PL clubs. Uefa have no choice but to make inclusion of them to get that money from the middle east areas. Its what they always wants, like Fifa to expand and make as much momey of football as they can.

Chief123

I think it's a little of a non argument though because Israel is in UEFA largely by default and because they cannot be part of the confederation you would assume they should be in.
But it’s the fact they aren’t even in Europe. They are a Middle Eastern country. So on that basis the concept of non-European teams being part of the competition has already been broken.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There are dozens of teams from Russia, Turkey, Cyprus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan that are eligible to play in European competition despite being geographically located outside “Europe”.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I literally called this about a month ago but didn't think it'd happen this soon :lol:

Hoof the ball

Imagine a newly revamped international Champions League with Santos, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Palmeiras, Corinthians, Flamengo, etc, all involved.

:drool:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

If Saudi is invited to C1 it opens he possibility of a Saudi club playing an Israeli one and it is it's own can of political worms.
By default? I disagree. I don't think any clubs outside of Europe should play in the UEFA Champions League.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is what I was thinking as well. UEFA have set a precedent now allowing Israeli teams to participate in the Champions League. It would seem hypocritical to not allow Saudi Arabian teams.

Personally I dont think either countries should be allowed.
Are Saudi Arabia members of the UEFA? If not where is the hypocrisy?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Neither is England and their clubs still compete in the Champions League.

I don't see the harm in it personally, so I'm not sure what every is complaining about. This is merely welcoming new and exciting opportunities for UEFA execs to line their own pockets. I mean, erm, innovation and synergy and shit. Give me a couple of hours and I'll come back with some more daft excuses.
:lol::lol: You can't be serious? England are in the continent of Europe. The European Cup/Champions League existed long before the European Union.

Plastic Evra

There are dozens of teams from Russia, Turkey, Cyprus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan that are eligible to play in European competition despite being geographically located outside “Europe”.
I'm in total agreement "Europe" as a concept is largely an human construction and it doesn't mean the same thing to everyone & in different fields (here football and the UEFA)... We all know here it is a profit and power move that changes the nature of the UCL (Supposedly a competition for UEFA members) to an intercontinental competition.

Or we might as well dismantle the Asian federation, and African then the UEFA and FIFA. Not that it would be a huge loss, the corrupt lot of them.

edgecutter

UEFA have no choice really and this was obviously Saudi's play from the very start.

If they deny a place to a Saudi team, the Suadi's just set up the Super League themselves and slowly attract more teams to ditch UEFA for their competition. I anticpate some of the big teams are already in bed in the Saudi's on this (Real, Barca, Boehly)
Let them. Who gives a feck if they hover up talent because it will slowly bleed them dry over the next number of years. I watch United, I couldn't give two feck about who plays fof who over in Saudi.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Saudi clubs are able to offer CL football then no PL player is off limits.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
End of UEFA I guess. Super league will become a reality with all big clubs and they will include Saudi clubs as well.

Basically, we won't get sold.

VWW

Are Saudi Arabia members of the UEFA? If not where is the hypocrisy?
Israel located in the middle east can be a uefa member....so why cant Saudi Arabia if it meant them participating in the same tournaments (I'm sure they would if given the chance)?

As others have already said above, you have teams from Russia and other regions outside of Europe that are in these Uefa tournaments simply because they are Uefa members which is the only criteria it seems to be able to parcipate....irrespective of where they are from.

Uefa have should never have allowed it in the first place.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Give every pro team at every level of their respective football pyramid (in each country who can qualify for the champions league) 100 million quid per season and I'd let them have 1 entry, who have a play off against the previous year's winners in order to get into the first qualifying round.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Anyone shocked by this need to get their head checked. It was always going to happen.

UEFA is one of the most corrupt governing bodies out there, so how anyone thought that the Saudis wouldn’t be able to buy their way in, I don’t know.

KeanoMagicHat

Fair enough, We know how ambitious they are already.. but let's be honest.. even some of the last seeded teams in the CL would prob batter the Saudi teams. They are miles off CL level... Miles
Nah, just look at some of their starting line-ups. Al-Ahli for example have a front 4 of Mahrez, Boudebouz, Saint-Maximin and Firmino - that's better than most teams in the Champions League and that's one summer of this spending. They have Roger Ibanez at the back and Mendy in nets. They keep adding to it, might have applied in January.

Red_toad

Neither is England and their clubs still compete in the Champions League.

I don't see the harm in it personally, so I'm not sure what every is complaining about. This is merely welcoming new and exciting opportunities for UEFA execs to line their own pockets. I mean, erm, innovation and synergy and shit. Give me a couple of hours and I'll come back with some more daft excuses.
The EEC isn’t Europe :lol:
If Aussies can compete in the Eurovision, then anything is good :p

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So why was everyone so against the super league? Uefa had the new UCL format already planned and now this.. :lol:

El Presidente

Fair enough, We know how ambitious they are already.. but let's be honest.. even some of the last seeded teams in the CL would prob batter the Saudi teams. They are miles off CL level... Miles
You should probably google Al Hilal’s squad.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Imagine a newly revamped international Champions League with Santos, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Palmeiras, Corinthians, Flamengo, etc, all involved.

:drool:
Now I am interested. Everybody can say whatever they want. A rebrand like this would instantly take the Champions league from the tiresome repetitive tournament it is now to something very very interesting. I would be delighted to watch Boca Juniors vs Manchester United. Real Madrid vs Santos. Inter Miami vs Liverpool, Al Ahly of Egypt vs PSG, Al Nassr vs Bayern Munich, in the group stages alone. Tired of all these also-rans of European Football in the group stage. CSKA Moskow, Sporting and the likes.

Coops73

If this happens expect the super league to rear it’s ugly head again

PSV

Putting trust in UEFA is like putting trust in the government. You know it's a case of brown envelopes and connections.

To think we could have had a league governed by the clubs. :lol:

PSV

Now I am interested. Everybody can say whatever they want. A rebrand like this would instantly take the Champions league from the tiresome repetitive tournament it is now to something very very interesting. I would be delighted to watch Boca Juniors vs Manchester United. Real Madrid vs Santos. Inter Miami vs Liverpool, Al Ahly of Egypt vs PSG in the group stages alone. Tired of all these also-rans of European Football in the group stage. CSKA Moskow, Sporting and the likes.
We already have Club World Cup coming up. Unless we win UCL this year we're not in btw.