Saudi League thread

Shake Jism

Ronaldo must be spitting feathers... goes over there thinking he'll score a million goals against a load of chumps and win everything, wins nothing and now the rest of the league aren't just catching up, but overtaking :lol:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
In some parts, sure. In other parts of the world, the USA have never enjoyed a very good reputation (for very good reasons).
I think in the case of the U.S. there is greater separation between reputations of the government and the country.

The U.S. doesn't need to do much PR to get people to move there or to do tourism or whatever.

Red Star One

Mane and Mahrez are bigger signings than anything China or Russia did and they’ve completed them on the same day.
Both in twilight of their careers and following terrible or average seasons, one is 31 and actively pushed out by his club after falling out and looking shit on the pitch, another is 32 and obviously his minutes at City are better spent on someone for the future. But yeah, Premier League and Bundesliga be scared, they’re coming for your elderly

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I forgot to reply :D Focusing on the second part of your reply.

I'm someone who is vigorously opposed to Russia's illegal war on Ukraine and hope Russia suffers an overwhelming defeat.

If someone was going to Russia to work for their defense ministry or armament industry, I'd have an issue with that as there is a direct link between their profit, and Russia channeling their work output into continuing the war in Ukraine. If they were Britney Griner going to Russia to play basketball to earn more money than they would in the WNBA in the US, and otherwise did not contribute positively to the war, then I would not have any issues with that.

Same with Henderson. If he permitted his image to be used in anti-LGBT rhetoric, or started equivocating how LGBT folk should tone it down, then I'd have a problem with the move. So far, I've seen no evidence that his transfer to Saudi Arabia has an additional detrimental impact on the plight of LGBT people in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere.

The inconsistency of this standard is what gets to me the most. It's immoral to play in Saudi Arabia, but playing in Turkey or Florida USA is ok?
Good questions!

I suppose if someone was to move to Russia and do the same thing, the same logic applies, unless they openly state they approve of the war in Ukraine. That would probably be less palatable than what’s happening in the Middle East right now though.

And I’d say the line is probably outside of sport or going there for a job that doesn’t actively suppress people or harm people in any way.

At the end of the day all those footballers can go and play football there but if no one watches the games they still get paid and it’s a failed project. No ones forcing anyone to be part of these things if they don’t want to.
No they would not be worthy of criticism and I wouldn’t care if they transferred to a Russian club. Are Russian football clubs invading Ukraine?

If a football player transferred to a club who actively engages in discriminatory practices or had a direct hand in human rights violations then I might feel a certain way about it.
Cheers for the replies guys. My stance is obviously pretty different but I appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions. Your replies succinctly informed me of your philosophy(in situations like this) which is exactly what I was looking for. Plus a bonus point for it leading me to realise Griner actually played in Russia for a Russian side, I thought it was an exhibition match or something.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Both in twilight of their careers and following terrible or average seasons, one is 31 and actively pushed out by his club after falling out and looking shit on the pitch, another is 32 and obviously his minutes at City are better spent on someone for the future. But yeah, Premier League and Bundesliga be scared, they’re coming for your elderly
You’re right. This is obviously just old and unwanted players - nothing big at all.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Mane and Mahrez are bigger signings than anything China or Russia did and they’ve completed them on the same day.
Samuel Eto'o moved to Anzhi Makhachkala in 2011. He was younger than either Mane or Mahrez (30 years old), and more distinguished: won 3 CL titles, two trebles, two AFCONs, Olympic Gold, won African Player of the Year four times. He was a bigger signing than either of these two.

BaggiesBoy93

Supports
West Bromwich Albion
As intriguing as this whole then of events has been, I'm more interested in what will happen 12 months from now. How many will stay, how many, if any, will walk out mid-season. Will the league progress and attract top talent?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
As intriguing as this whole then of events has been, I'm more interested in what will happen 12 months from now. How many will stay, how many, if any, will walk out mid-season. Will the league progress and attract top talent?
I am waiting for the club owner to simply allocate players around to form the best possible teams. ;)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Pretty much nailed it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Kessie on the verge of signing for Al Ahli.

This 4 way title race this season is going to be really fun !

Worth noting the big 3 clubs have struggled so far in the Arab champions cup (I guess it’s a league cup equivalent over there ?)

Al Ittihad won their first 2 games with late winners

Al Nassr barely qualified

Al Hilal narrow wins

The stars have been the difference with both Benzema and Ronaldo being the difference makers for their clubs meanwhile Savic and Neves scored for Al Hilal today in there 2-1 win.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Kessie on the verge of signing for Al Ahli.

This 4 way title race this season is going to be really fun !

Worth noting the big 3 clubs have struggled so far in the Arab champions cup (I guess it’s a league cup equivalent over there ?)

Al Ittihad won their first 2 games with late winners

Al Nassr barely qualified

Al Hilal narrow wins

The stars have been the difference with both Benzema and Ronaldo being the difference makers for their clubs meanwhile Savic and Neves scored for Al Hilal today in there 2-1 win.
I just find al hillal's line up much superior to the others, they'll probably steam roll the league.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I just find al hillal's line up much superior to the others, they'll probably steam roll the league.
I think Ittihad has a lineup comparable but they for sure look like the two most balances squads.

Al Nassr really need a good defender at least because the back like is awful.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think Ittihad has a lineup comparable but they for sure look like the two most balances squads.

Al Nassr really need a good defender at least because the back like is awful.
In case of ittihad I suppose it depends on how fit jante is and whether karim will give his best.

Al nasr as you said yourself looks awfully unbalanced, doubt they'll achieve much success.

Red Royal

There maybe only a few years of interest in the Saudi League before the insane salaries stop and there will be no more signings like. Henderson, Neves and co. It could well then go back to the Ighalo's of the world going there.

With hindsight though, Ronaldo moving to Al Nassr has had a huge change for football. I know at the time Ronaldo was being a selfish cnut and desperate to escape and we did well to cut his wages and remove him from the squad.

But, I wonder if we had held out for a transfer fee, would they have paid up... it clearly has put the spotlight to their league, they may have been willing to stump up £30M or so. Oh well all in the past now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Al Ahli now have a front 3 of Mahrez, Firmino and Saint Maximin. Thats a hell of a forward line. 2-3 years ago any team in the league not named City or Liverpool would have killed for that.

SuperiorXI

I saw this morning that BBC Sport twitter were essentially promoting this garbage sports washing league and it reminded me of how the media in general pipe off City every other day. Newcastle soon. The media in this country are complicit in sports washing and it's disgusting. Where is the integrity?

JogaBonitoRooney

Nothing wrong with following the Saudi league. It's not as if European countries are saints and as if European governments aren't already allies with Saudis.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I saw this morning that BBC Sport twitter were essentially promoting this garbage sports washing league and it reminded me of how the media in general pipe off City every other day. Newcastle soon. The media in this country are complicit in sports washing and it's disgusting. Where is the integrity?
Expecting either the media or football to have any form of integrity is a bit silly isn't it?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well Mane was literally voted Ballon D’or 2nd place last year, while Mahrez literally just won Treble with City few months ago playing 47 games for them scoring 15 goals and providing 12 assists. Terrible/average isn't really fair description.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Mane was voted most disappointing outfield player in the Bundesliga 22/23, describing his season as terrible/average is fair.

tomaldinho1

Al Nassr - Ronaldo
Al Hilal - Neymar
Al-Ittihad - Benzema
Al-Ahli - Mahrez (?) Firmino (?)

As statement signings go, Neymar adds a lot. For the 1st transfer window it's now undeniable this is has eclipsed China's splurge.

OmarUnited4ever

Did anyone watch the opening games? Any fun at all?
Not the pro league but I watched the final between Nassr & Hilal, frustrating football but fun nonetheless.

from the league, I've seen several extended highlights in YT, they look to be fun but not sure of the quality though.

Charlie Foley

Yeah but you could say that about the human race as a whole. We should be better but we allow this stuff because we’re just not that good.
And the only way/hope to get better is to call it out. Even if it’s prevalent or widespread. Saying “well it happens” or “what more do you expect” is a nothing point that provides exactly that, just enables those who oppose wrongdoings to be worn down.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When Ronaldo went over there I didn’t think they’d be a lot more top players to follow. If you’re over 30 that’s understandable but players under 30 wasting their careers in that league. They’ll never get a move back over here because of the ridiculous wages they’ll be on. Them players will be forgotten about very quickly as there’s no proper way of watching there games.

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
When Ronaldo went over there I didn’t think they’d be a lot more top players to follow. If you’re over 30 that’s understandable but players under 30 wasting their careers in that league. They’ll never get a move back over here because of the ridiculous wages they’ll be on. Them players will be forgotten about very quickly as there’s no proper way of watching there games.
The wages over there are crazy, its really not a surprise so many heads are being turned. Jordan Henderson is now one of the worlds highest earning football players and 8 of the top 10 earning players are now based over there, its nuts.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I am already convinced that if they continue spending infinite money it will be a matter of time until they get an invite to join UCL or some freaky competition is created so top UEFA clubs can play Saudi Clubs. They have enough money to influence FIFA members and legal entities (actually, legal entities are easier because they accept smaller bribes than FIFA members :D )

bjontiss86

Supports
Lazio
Maybe they want to be forgotten. Loads and loads of money, and be somewhat forgotten about in a couple of years after earning that insane amount.

They get super rich and less famous at the same time. So they will be left alone after the end of their careers. With a s**tload of money

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I am already convinced that if they continue spending infinite money it will be a matter of time until they get an invite to join UCL or some freaky competition is created so top UEFA clubs can play Saudi Clubs. They have enough money to influence FIFA members and legal entities (actually, legal entities are easier because they accept smaller bribes than FIFA members :D )
A country with death penalties against teenagers, murdering journalists in embassies and not recognizing Israel in an european competition? I think the public outrage would do more harm to UEFA than any amount of money could compensate.

Ghostrider318

I get a sneaky feeling that the Saudis will float the idea of a Longer format club world cup - similar to what clubs tried with the Super league BS.

Other than the PL, all other leagues seem to be suffering in terms of viewership and outside the likes of Madrid and Bayern, most teams seem to suffering from lack of money too.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A country with death penalties against teenagers, murdering journalists in embassies and not recognizing Israel in an european competition? I think the public outrage would do more harm to UEFA than any amount of money could compensate.
The public outrage will be smaller than we think. Look at the Qatar WC: yes, there was outrage but it is quickly forgotten. Just to be clear, in 6 months of 2023 Dubai had already broke their own record of max number of tourists in 1 year.

Qatar increased 72% of tourist arrivals in 2023, and it is expected to pass the 100% growth until the end of the year.

7.8M people already visited Saudi Arabia for non-religious long term vacations, which is an increase above 60%

It's a matter of PR, tbh. With money and good PR campaigns you can build a good image.