Saudi Takeover - Claim deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Exactly - genuine racists and ‘Islamophobes’ would surely l absolutely adore theocratic states like Saudi, because nothing else oppresses and brutalises Muslims like the them.

The biggest issue most normal people have with them is their rabid, perpetual human rights violations of people within the faith; forced marriage, zero tolerance of homosexuality, modern slavery, no way of opting out of the faith without paying with your life. These are all crimes against humanity that simply shouldn’t be accepted in the modern world.

And what’s hilarious, is that self-styled ‘Liberals’ completely ignore them
UAE is hardly any better is it? Men are still allowed six wives and women only one husband in the UAE. And is she cheats on him then well look it up for yourself.......

Most of the middle East is still stuck in the dark ages it seems. Very sad.

red thru&thru

That majority of Utd fans are glory hunters and all of our nagging about oil money were hypocritical? Yes.

This place has been depressing. The slow descent into RAWKish nostalgia were one thing, now openly discarding the thinnest of veneer about having a moral compass just because your team may win something.
It's just easier and cleaner to talk about football and compare oil money and how it would differ from our club to others.

Robbie Boy

This has turned into a whole load of horse shit virtue signaling. Should probably be locked until there’s some actual, y’know news on the matter.

stubie

Maybe an announcement will be made tomorrow when the NYSE opens

Cantona in disguise

This has turned into a whole load of horse shit virtue signaling. Should probably be locked until there’s some actual, y’know news on the matter.
Always heading that way mate. Football and politics shouldn't mix. You're an Islamophobia dont you know.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We fundamentally disagree then. People have the right to an opinion on topics, and if others are offended or hurt by it than so be it. In the pursuit of truth you will always piss someone off.
I said you had the right to your opinion in my first reply to you. And I'm not offended or hurt by you in the slightest. I also credited you with honesty, but I'm now withdrawing that credit, because you lack the empathy required to own your beliefs.

I'm telling you that your posts make me think you are profoundly Islamaphobic. I'm telling you to own your opinion.

I trust everything is now crystal clear to you.

Last edited:

UDontMessWith24

What is there otherwise to debate? We're talking about an ownership group that will invest heavily in improving the squad, run the club in a professional manner, put the best football people in place, and put in place a coherent long term plan for sustainable success. Oh and unlike their counterparts down the street they can afford themselves to pay no mind to FFP. If you take away their highly dubious background we would all be in agreement for the most part.

peridigm

They WILL sell but if it's based on a financial decline we are years away from that. Our finances are so strong that they will take years to stagnate talk less of even declining. Furthermore you could slash a quarter of our profits and we'd still be the most worthwhile and stable investment in all of sports.
I think two more seasons of finishing 10th or lower will accelerate that financial hit exponentially.

The issue is do they have the appetite for another rebuild or the skill to bring in the correct people that ensure it succeeds? At the moment they look like they are interested in letting Woodward and Judge have their way and ruin us further. Every season this happens the deeper we are in the rut and the more difficult it becomes to claw our way out.
If the Glazer's were interested in United dominating football they would have fired Woodward or at least appointed a DOF 3 years ago. You can look around at any major football club in the world and see them making decisions to benefit the football and get results whether they have a DOF or not. Not all clubs have a DOF but they have someone in charge that understands you can't just splash cash on the hottest name in talent and expect instant results.
Moyes was chosen by SAF while Woodward was learning on the job. The two of them failed miserably in our first season post SAF. Who knows whether Woodward went to Moyes and said I can get you this player, this player, and this player, do you want them and Moyes says no, I want Fellaini. Or, did Woodward say, you inherited a title winning squad, you can sign one player, who will it be? When it was apparent our season was going down the shitter, we got fleeced for another #10 with Mata. We already had Kagawa and Rooney for those roles. After 6 years he's still here stinking it up every time he plays.

When it was apparent Moyes did not have what it takes to get results from a title winning squad, he fired him and went for who he thought was a mature appointment in LVG. Spurs wanted him too. LVG was backed but his football was dross and ultimately the fans turned on him as well as players stopped playing for him.

Then comes Jose who's won it all but had his own set of problems. This is the first manager we've had where I thought, they do care and if anyone can turn it around it's Jose. Wrong. In typical Jose fashion, he had his 3rd season meltdown and was gone by mid-season.

Now we have Ole who by all accounts was a brilliant appointment to take over from Jose with United DNA running in his veins and the new manager bounce thing. Woodward thinks he's struck gold, the owners are happy because fans are happy and he's made permanent manager before the end of the season. Then as quick as turning off the lights, we've gone to complete shit. Hindsight is 20/20 but that decision will forever be the decision that should have waited until the end of the season as it was initially meant to be according to rumors. What did United have to lose. Ole was going nowhere regardless if how the season ended unless he was told no thanks.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that our history post SAF tells us all we need to know about whether the Glazer's want to make United a title winning team again. I think you're right in that as long as United are making money, they will be happy. It's just not sustainable in modern football for any team to complete on the highest level with an average manager running an average squad. Yes you'll get the one season wonders like Leicester but you won't see another period of domination like United had. We have about 2-3 players capable of being world class. The rest of the squad is very average. It's going to be very difficult to rebuild the squad to be able to complete with Liverpool, City, or other top European clubs with the Glazer's as the owners, Woodward as the CEO, and Ole as the manager.

Roboc7

Glazers don’t want to sell, no evidence Saudi’s want to buy and this whole rumour is based on nothing concrete and the predictable speculation that happens every time someone from club goes to Saudi Arabia.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Glazers don’t want to sell, no evidence Saudi’s want to buy and this whole rumour is based on nothing concrete and the predictable speculation that happens every time someone from club goes to Saudi Arabia.
Someone from the club went to Saudi Arabia?!?! Holy feck! It's happening lads!

RedDevilRoshi

Is this happening or not?

Nothing in the media stating that it is, therefore I’m just bamboozled as to how this is 40 pages long and the title is still the same?

If the club had indeed been sold then every man, women, child and their dug would have heard about it by now. No way something this small is kept as quiet as it has been in the last 24-48 hours.

48 hours

Is this happening or not?

Nothing in the media stating that it is, therefore I’m just bamboozled as to how this is 40 pages long and the title is still the same?

If the club had indeed been sold then every man, women, child and their dug would have heard about it by now. No way something this small is kept as quiet as it has been in the last 24-48 hours.
I’m expecting Aramco to be announced as taking over our shirt sponsorship or something along those lines....or nothing at all

red thru&thru

What positive impacts do you expect from Saudi ownership?
Proper people to be in the correct roles. The club to be run as a football club and not a money making machine. For the club to be competitive again.

Investment into the refurb of OT and Carrington.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm changing my mind and personally hope United don't get purchased by the Saudis'. I really don't want another circle jerk where 1.5 Billion Muslims/Islam get judged by the actions and policies in Saudi Arabia past, present and future.

The reasoning for changing my mind is the media and laypeople equating Saudi as the main representatives of Islam. Despite its best efforts to promote and project itself as the symbol and representatives of Islam, the country is steered by its own agenda and policies. There are only about only 3% of world Muslims living in Saudi, and the only relationship with other 1.5 Billion Muslims is that land being the birthplace of Islam 1500 years ago and with Mecca and Medina being the two holiest sites in Islam being based in that land.

If Saudi wants to portray a better image of themselves and change their outlook to the world then the money is better spent on charity projects and changing attitudes towards minorities, better protections and working conditions for the many millions working in that land and a host of other improvements they can make.

If Saudis' buy United it's hardly going to be for religious purposes. It's likely because they have money and see it as a good business or they see this as part of the rehabilitation of their image as part of the current reform program or promotion of their country. I'm shocked at how many people are getting religion involved.

Sultan

Good on you, Sults. They'd only be doing it to whitewash their public image.
I'm still not strong enough willed to give up my lifelong affection for the club. It's ingrained in me for the entirety of my life. It's like saying I support everything the environmentalists are fighting for yet I can't give up my many habits causing harm to the planet. Basically, I'm saying I somewhat of a hypocrite.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm still not strong enough willed to give up my lifelong affection for the club. It's ingrained in me for the entirety of my life. It's like saying I support everything the environmentalists are fighting for yet I can't give up my many habits causing harm to the planet. Basically, I'm saying I somewhat of a hypocrite.
Most of us are hypocrites and it's kind of fine as long as we are aware of it. I don't want the house of Saud to be linked to United but there is next to no chance that I stop following and loving the club, I will just dislike the owners if it was to happen.

Sultan

I have over many years met and been friends with many Saudis' and they have been absolutely faultless. This generalisation of all things Saudi is beyond normal. The general public have hardly any influence on the policies/running of the state and that includes the religious fraternity. If powerful states were not the guardians/protectors of the rulers they would very likely be replaced in an instant.

Tarrou

I think most will keep supporting United for a while at least (including probably myself) but ultimately won't care as much and will wane over time. It's already going that way after 15 years of the Glazers sucking the joy out of the club. The Ole tenure reignited my passion for the club for a time but that will probably end soon anyway.

If we're successful due to the money we'll just be replaced by new fans anyway.

Green_Red

The Saudi's are about to go public with Aramco because they know there is no future in Oil, but they would want to buy Manchester United? Makes total sense.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t care about the rest of the football world. City is the club to beat in England and the investment over the last two or three years has clearly not been enough to bridge that gap an inch - especially considering United’s financial firepower.
The problem largely hasn't been the spending but rather getting the most out of that spending. We are one of the biggest spenders in football. If the money spent on Fred/Sanchez/Lukaku/ADM/Pogba/a bazillion other players, had the return on investment it should have, the gap wouldn't be what it is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, in that sphere it's a buck load of money too. In that sphere you have the likes of Bayern, Juventus, Liverpool and Real Madrid with years with negative spendings and who generally didn't spend half of that net spend. And for what its worth, it's a bad sign that we spent that much money on a regular basis, with the state of our team it means that we are terrible at acquiring players which means that we have incompetent people running the club which is of course ultimately on the owners.
Everybody wants a quick fix. That one summer where we spend 300 million pounds bringing in 4/5 quality players to make us challengers. Of course we do have to spend. But it's far more pertinent right now to put in place a system that produces excellence - in terms of the football set up, how players fit into that, development of individuals and identifying potential signings. In terms of management, I'd rather us sign the right manager than merely bag a few big players..

redshaw

This is the annoying thing, United are a self made club, we don't need a lottery win, we've spent a billion. Even Jack Walker managed to buy a league for Blackburn yet the folks who run United are so incompetent we can't get close or even entertain the crowd with goals.

There should be enough evidence for our owners to say this is not working and it's actually quite obscene how badly off it has been and should look at replacing those running the club. It's a cavalcade of bad decisions that even sods law can't make a dent in.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

This is the annoying thing, United are a self made club, we don't need a lottery win, we've spent a billion. Even Jack Walker managed to buy a league for Blackburn yet the folks who run United are so incompetent we can't get close or even entertain the crowd with goals.

There should be enough evidence for our owners to say this is not working and it's actually quite obscene how badly off it has been and should look at replacing those running the club. It's a cavalcade of bad decisions that even sods law can't make a dent in.
Agree. Lfc have proven you don't need a state to back you. We just need the correct people in the correct places to run the club. This is what pees me off even moŕe about the Glazer's.

reddevil702

The Saudi's are about to go public with Aramco because they know there is no future in Oil, but they would want to buy Manchester United? Makes total sense.
There’s no future in an enterprise that made over $100 billion in net profit? Plus I doubt any their interest in buying United comes from financial benefits. I’d imagine it’s more to do with diversifying the Saudi’s brand and they would be associating themselves with one of the biggest brands in football.

red thru&thru

There’s no future in an enterprise that made over $100 billion in net profit? Plus I doubt any their interest in buying United comes from financial benefits. I’d imagine it’s more to do with diversifying the Saudi’s brand and they would be associating themselves with one of the biggest brands in football.
Yep, I think this too. It's all about image and how they can make themselves look more appealing to the world. They want to increase their tourism from 3% a year to 10% a year. United obviously have a lot of fans etc have an insane global reach, so marketing through us would be ideal.

Tarrou

It would definitely be a branding exercise for them

Football isn't exactly a license to print money, given the size of the outlay

bludsucker

The way this thread has progressed this should be moved to the general discussion forum rather than the United forum. There is no concrete news regarding the takeover. Yet we are nearly 40 pages strong discussing genocides, religion, politics, women empowerment, islamophobia. Basically everything other than Manchester United. Think the thread has run its course.

red thru&thru

The way this thread has progressed this should be moved to the general discussion forum rather than the United forum. There is no concrete news regarding the takeover. Yet we are nearly 40 pages strong discussing genocides, religion, politics, women empowerment, islamophobia. Basically everything other than Manchester United. Think the thread has run its course.
People who want to talk about the political side of SA, should like you say, go and comment in the general thread. I believe there is already one in there.

Personally, I want to talk about the club side of things and how any potential takeover would effect the club. There are a couple of SA journalists who have spoken about this and so has Castle's. So there is enough for the discussion to go on.

Acquire Me

Most of us are hypocrites and it's kind of fine as long as we are aware of it. I don't want the house of Saud to be linked to United but there is next to no chance that I stop following and loving the club, I will just dislike the owners if it was to happen.
I suspect this is the case for most fans, including myself.

Woodzy

Previous threads have been closed. There will just be another one next time the rumours appear, which seems to be every couple of months at the moment.

Robbie Boy

What is there otherwise to debate? We're talking about an ownership group that will invest heavily in improving the squad, run the club in a professional manner, put the best football people in place, and put in place a coherent long term plan for sustainable success. Oh and unlike their counterparts down the street they can afford themselves to pay no mind to FFP. If you take away their highly dubious background we would all be in agreement for the most part.
I think that’s all fine to discuss but the thread title and the content is misleading.

red thru&thru

Any Arabic translators?

Apparently something along the lines of news coming out soon about a club being purchased!

Water Melon

Any Arabic translators?

Apparently something along the lines of news coming out soon about a club being purchased!
"News about Saudi investors buying the club. The deal will be announced soon according to sources"

Status
Not open for further replies.