Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Good: this finally puts an end to the Saudi takeover rumours re Manchester United. We never again need worry about being reduced to a plaything for that horrendous regime.

Bad: yet another club with the financial muscle to challenge at the top of the game. The Saudis will certainly want to show Abu Dhabi/Qatar who's boss.

Interesting times ahead.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
FFS, can’t these sugar daddy bastards just go and destroy La Liga or Seria A instead of always fecking-up the Premier League :mad:

laughtersassassin

While it's understandable why many including myself had reservations or down right didn't want the Saudis it's still a bit shit to now we are now stuck with the Glazers for what could be my lifetime.

Like let's be honest while football is cyclical if the Glazers don't get this rebuild right in next 2-3 seasons it truly could be curtains for us in terms of even attempting to compete.

Our current run of mediocrity can't go in much longer for the good of the club. If they don't turn things around this go it's doubtful they will ever.

That's a sobering thought all in all. Add to the fact they seem to not want to put a penny into old Trafford is concerning too

Obviously all the above is hypotheticals but it's hypothetical based off past evidence.

Hopefully the rumours things have and are changing for the better in our hieracy is true.

Wish the best for Newcastle and the fans should enjoy every minute of it cause let's be honest fans have no say in their owners.

Matt007a

I don’t think it’ll be as easy to buy success as it was for City or PSG. Their bending of the rules has made it more difficult to get past FFP now with both being slapped with punishments recently.

They’ll have financial muscle for sure but maybe not to the extent we’ve seen City have in the last 10 years.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think ffp will be relaxed when football starts again
I wouldn’t be surprised either but it will be circumstantial. If a club like Newcastle starts spunking loads of money around and failing ffp, other clubs won’t be happy and UEFA won’t allow it.

Guy Incognito

The league can have 20 billionaires, every season only one finances the team that wins the league.

Interesting though that the consortium includes the Reuben brothers. So some ties to the UK already.

0le

I didn't think it was possible to do worse than Ashley but there you go.

TheLord

This deal is likely to go through as Ashley looks increasingly desperate to sell the club. He has lowered the asking price to £300 million.

We will also soon see the usage of the term "big five" instead of the usual "big four".

Newcastle are a genuinely big club with owners who now have the deepest pockets in football - $ 1 trillion !!! Liverpool may not win a PL title for another 30 years now. I am very worried for them. :(

Last edited:

RU Devil

Figure the most important decision going forward is getting a good head coach, or failing that, a good DoF. If not Rafa, maybe Poch? Don't blow a load
on players, but set up the foundation.

Brightonian

It's pathetic how many posters on here are upset about this 'because now we're stuck with the Glazers.' Would you rather be a sportswashing exercise for one of the most morally repugnant regimes in the world? They make City's lot look like UNICEF. It's a travesty that they're being allowed into the sport in this country at all.

And did you all really want us to just buy our way back to the top anyway? Liverpool have proven you don't need to be bankrolled by a nation state to do it. Let's rise to the fecking challenge, eh?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Doubt we’ll have much to worry about for a minute. All these oil clubs have that weird stage initially since they can’t go straight to signing superstars, so throw money at the likes of Wayne Bridge or Roque Santa Cruz instead.
If "we" is United, I'm not sure. If they're smart they could put together a squad as good as Wolves quickly and that would make them a threat to us based of this season so far.

And honestly I think Bridge and Santa Cruz of the past would have got games at United this season too so it's not like players like that our way below our current level. Bridge could have had Williams' minutes and if we'd have had Santa Cruz then I doubt we'd have loaned in Ighalo. They'd have had their uses, not really as starters but they'd have been ok options at times.

Last edited:

Relfy

Big fan base, big stadium and if they see City getting around FFP by using state owned assets to sponsor the club, then it won't be long until we see Newcastle sponsored by Aramco for mega money to skew the books. As other posters have said, I cannot imagine Saudi entering football to be second best to either UAE or Qatar, if they enter, then they are coming in to be the top club no matter what it takes.

Son

We play in a different league to other sides narrative wise. If the Saudi’s took over United... wouldn’t be positive let’s put it that way.

The Prem league needs rid of these kind of owners yet it’s completely celebrated by most when it happens. Well, until they win 2 or 3 titles in a row and you find out they have been bribing FIFA to look the other way on FFP for years.

The investment by the Middle East in football has taken some of the soul out of the game and cheapened it to an extent. Who cares about City even now? I don’t.

PSG are the worst culprits though. They have zero class and couldn’t be more plastic if they tried.

reddevilchennai

I'm really concerned by these state sponsored clubs.

Saudi's can pump money in by inflated sponsorship deal through Saudi Aramco, Sabic, Saudia Airlines, etc.

Clubs like United can no longer match these sides. We will be like Leeds or atleast like Arsenal in two decades.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's pathetic how many posters on here are upset about this 'because now we're stuck with the Glazers.' Would you rather be a sportswashing exercise for one of the most morally repugnant regimes in the world? They make City's lot look like UNICEF. It's a travesty that they're being allowed into the sport in this country at all.

And did you all really want us to just buy our way back to the top anyway? Liverpool have proven you don't need to be bankrolled by a nation state to do it. Let's rise to the fecking challenge, eh?
Liverpool has decent owners who understand football. We don't. With the Glazers asking ridiculous money for our club we're truly stuck with these blood suckers as no one with an ounce of common sense would buy us at that price.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Liverpool have decent owners?

:lol:
Of course they are. They had transformed Liverpool FC into an efficient and effective organisation and has football matters at heart not sponsors. Have we even repaired our stadium's roof yet?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots

This! I'd rather be stuck in League Two with Sunderland the next 30 years than being a sugar daddy club with these kinda deplorables at the wheel. These clubs are nothing more than white washing of the worst regimes in the world. It's disgusting.

RUCK4444

No income.
That's the whole point of why the Saudi's were the ONLY viable option for United, an owner not seeking financial return. They pretty much don't exist. That's why we are stuck with the Yankee vampires.

I hope each and every one of the morally sound bunch on here enjoy every moment of the money sucking stewardship of the Glazers over the next 10 years or so.

What Newcastle can do with Saudi owners is frightening. They have a much stronger following and match going fanbase in a single club major city. That is an excellent starting point, much stronger than what City had as a comparison.

A few seasons to get into Europe, money rolls in for TV rights, few more seasons and the sky is the limit. Especially if the FFP rules are relaxed for clubs in the aftermath of COVID_19.

Feck me that's the perfect time to buy them.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Torn on this. I grew up in the North East with many Newcastle fans as friends so I'm glad that they will finally be rid of Ashley as I have a soft spot for them. However, seeing another PL club becoming a regime's plaything is not good.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's the whole point of why the Saudi's were the ONLY viable option for United, an owner not seeking financial return. They pretty much don't exist. That's why we are stuck with the Yankee vampires.

I hope each and every one of the morally sound bunch on here enjoy every moment of the money sucking stewardship of the Glazers over the next 10 years or so.

What Newcastle can do with Saudi owners is frightening. They have a much stronger following and match going fanbase in a single club major city. That is an excellent starting point, much stronger than what City had as a comparison.

A few seasons to get into Europe, money rolls in for TV rights, few more seasons and the sky is the limit. Especially if the FFP rules are relaxed for clubs in the aftermath of COVID_19.

european super league... with winter games in saudi, quatar, dabai... no FFP rules
could see that happening if the leagues dont get the tv money and the top clubs want quick cash

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We still have the financial power to complete, we have shown that. What we need to do is start making consistently better decisions in regard to player recruitment.

Coops73

Of course they are. They had transformed Liverpool FC into an efficient and effective organisation and has football matters at heart not sponsors. Have we even repaired our stadium's roof yet?
....And then they furloughed their non playing staff, decent.

This. I'd be happy with being a perennial mid table slogger if the alternative was to get into bed with the Saudis.

Chelsea and Abramovich was one thing and we knew back then it would spark something like this, but now we're at the point of allowing the most repugnant regimes on the planet into the league. The government and the media need to step up because it's clear the league doesn't care how much blood is on your banknotes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

As I said, if FFP rules are relaxed then it won't be a "Yeah, any oil funded club can spend 515124 million with no sanction". The clubs that are struggling will be shown some leniency but billionaire funded clubs that are still spunking loads of money with dodgy deals or no income like Newcastle or City will be sanctioned whether it is from UEFA themselves or from UEFA after strong criticism from other clubs.

Zlatattack

Great idea. Would fit perfectly.
Frankly as a new nega club they need the big signings, the statements of intent.

Sanchez is a world renowned international star, but they should also target established England international, and premier league winner Phil Jones as well as up and coming star, the young Jesse Lingard.

As a club we have to know our place now. Newcastle will be taking our best and brightest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This deal is likely to go through as Ashley looks increasingly desperate to sell the club. He has lowered the asking price to £300 million.

We will also soon see the usage of the term "big five" instead of the usual "big four".

Newcastle are a genuinely big club with owners who now have the deepest pockets in football - $ 1 trillion !!! Liverpool may not win a PL title for another 30 years now. I am very worried for them. :(
We won't hear "big five" as we haven't heard big four for years.

Man city were never in that big 4.
Arsenal were for instance.

Tottenham have finished above us and Arsenal for a fair few years but No one would ever put them in a big 4.

Coops73

Which they retracted. Don't tell me that you believe that we are better run then Liverpool are?
feck no! But don’t tell me they’re decent when the only reason that retracted the furlough scheme was because of public pressure and criticism, not to mention their handling of the Suarez situation.

Last edited:

RoyH1

....because revenue will be down too. Newcastle won’t get around the FFP restrictions with reduced income.
I think FFP will be limited or ignored by the powers that be while this crisis last. State owned clubs spending will be the only way to pump money into the system with stadiums closed and tv revenue limited

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

"Big four" ended at least half a decade ago when City (and Spurs to a smaller extent) broke into the top four regularly.

RUCK4444

As I said, if FFP rules are relaxed then it won't be a "Yeah, any oil funded club can spend 515124 million with no sanction". The clubs that are struggling will be shown some leniency but billionaire funded clubs that are still spunking loads of money with dodgy deals or no income like Newcastle or City will be sanctioned whether it is from UEFA themselves or from UEFA after strong criticism from other clubs.
I don’t see how they could fairly enforce that notion though.

It’s one rule for all or the waters will get very muddy indeed.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the wealthiest clubs will benefit the most from COVID_19
This is where a club of our standing should be able to capitalise on the situation but our owners only care about lining their pockets, especially when whatever other ventures their handling in the states go to shite during this pandemic.

That’s not a particularly moral way of looking at the current awful situation but any CEO worth his salt would be thinking that way it they had the means to make the most of the situation.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can’t wait to see all the Newcastle shirts around town.

Status
Not open for further replies.