Saudis taking over Newcastle | Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Buck

Will certainly be interesting to see what players they try and bring in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just what this league needs, another Man.City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What world class youngsters, I'm talking Messi/Ronaldo levels of promise, are we going to see people-trafficked into the PL (Newcastle) over the next few years? Exciting times once this coronovirus fecks off.

Positives from this? Abramovich calls it time and probably City owners too (moving to a proper sexy city like Milan or even Barcelona, eek). Negatives: can see Pep at Newcastle soon enough because he likes a challenge with smaller sleeping giants rather than plastic rich clubs. :houllier:
Yep, Pep does love a challenge. But his next one will obvs be PSG, before heading off to wherever the biggest money is in 3-4 years.

Why would Man City owners leave just because Newcastle had new owners?

Irwin99

To be fair although they've never been a club that wins things they have a great stadium and a big local fanbase. I can think of worse clubs that have sold themselves to sugar daddies.

Imagine pipping them to the title again like in '96 :drool:

cyberman

City have fecked it for them with the upcoming bans. Even PSG has been reigned in.
They will never have the FFP strength to over power the league

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
City have fecked it for them with the upcoming bans. Even PSG has been reigned in.
Except FFP is being relaxed for the coming seasons. Probably why they have decided to finally pull the trigger.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
What world class youngsters, I'm talking Messi/Ronaldo levels of promise, are we going to see people-trafficked into the PL (Newcastle) over the next few years? Exciting times once this coronovirus fecks off.

Positives from this? Abramovich calls it time and probably City owners too (moving to a proper sexy city like Milan or even Barcelona, eek). Negatives: can see Pep at Newcastle soon enough because he likes a challenge with smaller sleeping giants rather than plastic rich clubs. :houllier:
Your lot are pretty plastic these days

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At this point I don't really see it being an issue.

They'll slowly make their way up, will take them 7-8 years before they can even start to hit the top 4 regularly IMO.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
this but I do think they are definitely going to be shaking up the top 4 eventually if the owners invest wisely for a few seasons. I actually don’t mind that it’s Newcastle. Good stadium and by far the biggest club in that area. Their fans deserve some luck. I think we are safe enough with the changes we are making and I think we will be able to challenge on all fronts if we get sancho and a DM in.

There are some seriously rich owners in the PL now. I think it’s good for United because to stay competitive the glazers will have to keep spending the clubs money instead of pocketing it and we will have to be even more efficient and decisive in the market. I’m glad we won’t have Saudi owners for all the reasons discussed to death. The glazers while probably not being squeaky clean are ok if they spend most of the money the club is earning on the club

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Watch them snap up Sancho.
I think he won’t go there without CL unless they make him best paid player in the league. Sanchez kind of wages and they won’t challenge there next year. I can’t see it. I think Sancho probably feels like he can eventually make the most money in the league and challenge for stuff here or he wouldn’t be considering us. I can see them being all in for a lot of top youth and young prospects now though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Except FFP is being relaxed for the coming seasons. Probably why they have decided to finally pull the trigger.
I don’t think they’d invest that sort of money for a year of relaxed ffp. It’ll take them years to become relevant in any case.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nothing can be worse than Ashley, they've had minimal playing investment for ages now.

However, there's surely no short term risk from them. Fees are so big these days that they're not going to suddenly be Chelsea early 2000s, or City mid 2010s.
The wages would be crippling too, and having seen City finally clamped down on, more scrutiny would go their way.

It also depends on the owner's intentions. We just assume they'll want to pile huge wad in.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Doubt we’ll have much to worry about for a minute. All these oil clubs have that weird stage initially since they can’t go straight to signing superstars, so throw money at the likes of Wayne Bridge or Roque Santa Cruz instead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wow, Newcastle being bought. It's finally happening it seems.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just glad it’s them and not us.

diarm

Delighted it's not us being taken over by that shower. As I said last year I'd have to seriously considering my support for the club under their ownership.

That said, I've more time for Newcastle as a club that the likes of City. Their fanbase have been through the ringer and will be good to see them competitive again. Until they're properly good of course - when that happens I reserve the right to call them plastic scum.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The Glazers are here to stay, Liverpool had sorted their shit up while Shitty/Newcastle are owned by petro dollars. It doesn't look good for us from a competitive perspective

RUCK4444

The Glazers are here to stay, Liverpool had sorted their shit up while Shitty/Newcastle are owned by petro dollars. It doesn't look good for us from a competitive perspective
Hey don’t you know!? We here are the morally correct fans, we are guaranteed to win the Morals Cup and look down our noses at the likes of Newcastle whilst they beat us to fourth.

If the only viable buyer of United buys Newcastle then it’s a hugely important moment for us as a club, the Glazers will suck us dry (not in a good way) with no means of selling and leave us a shell of what we were, before handing us over to whoever, 10 sorry years from now as a fixer upper club famous for past glories. I hope you enjoy it folks!

Next year is going to be our year... Wait where have I heard that before...

Should have been us, thats all I have to say.

Last edited:

izec

We are too expensive for them currently to only be a propaganda machine and a toy. Newcastle fits the bill

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hey don’t you know!? We here are the morally correct fans, we are guaranteed to win the Morals Cup and look down our noses at the likes of Newcastle whilst they beat us to fourth.

If the only viable buyer of United buys Newcastle then it’s a hugely important moment for us as a club, the Glazers will suck us dry (not in a good way) with no means of selling and leave us a shell of what we were, before handing us over to whoever, 10 sorry years from now as a fixer upper club famous for past glories. I hope you enjoy it folks!

Next year is going to be our year... Wait where have I heard that before...

Should have been us, thats all I have to say.
I can see us doing well in the Europa league though. We might win it a couple of times in the next 10 years or so

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interesting that you would buy a club in the current climate.

manutddjw

If it's the Saudis, why do they need a consortium to buy Newcastle. Usually they like to be in the limelight and if the Prince's wishes are to use sport for PR reasons as they've done with WWE and UFC, why are they involving that woman and the Reuben brothers? They clearly have the money to buy them outright without any involvement from anyone else.

I wonder if this is a takeover with dishonest buyers like the Chinese with AC Milan and whoever bought Malaga a few years ago.

Teja

My biggest objection with this entire billionaire investor thing is that Football Club revenues are so low that proper clubs will be forced into irrelevance. Consider what are arguably top 3-4 biggest clubs in the world in RM, Barca, Juve and Utd, the annual revenues for each of these clubs is less than a 1bn Euros. That puts us in the company of such stellar firms as Carters Baby products, Aaron Rents, Ethan Allen Interiors, Lifepoint Hospitals etc. etc. Seriously, some of the most recognizable, most attention grabbing businesses are, when you consider them financially, puny.

Traditional clubs might still be able to compete against an individual billionaire throwing some money around on his / her play toy but Saudi Arabia is a nation state and holds nation states level of wealth - they can simply buy out every single club in the PL without batting an eyelid if they really wanted to or are allowed to. Imagine the Bank of England wanted to own Man Utd, if that isn't an absurd idea, why is allowing the Saudis and Abu Dhabi owning Newcastle / City any less absurd?

FFP is broken - it protects the interests of the football elite over relative newcomers and it needs to change - competition is good! But the way things are going, at this rate, China will pump money into Wolves as a part of the belt and roads initiative, Russia will buy Southampton and once these clubs start competing against each other in the transfer market, there is no way a Utd or a Liverpool will ever be able to match their spending.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why? It’s probably best time. Transfer fees and wages will be going down for a short time.
....because revenue will be down too. Newcastle won’t get around the FFP restrictions with reduced income.

Status
Not open for further replies.